Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paraffin tuning : MEGATHREAD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 8:10pm
thanks guys, i tried Rona then London Drugs...i got it from LD for $5.99/1 liter...gonna try it on a new sheet of h3 now xDD
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Sponsored Links

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by 7homuz 7homuz wrote:

thanks guys, i tried Rona then London Drugs...i got it from LD for $5.99/1 liter...gonna try it on a new sheet of h3 now xDD

SWEET!!! can you make pictures of the dome and how it looks before you put it on later etc...?

I heard a hair dryer may be your friend if you are in a hurry to play with that slow drying product.
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 8:36pm
i am just not sure..after putting these substances on the sponge ,how can you possibly attach your rubber sheets to the blade?oily residue normally will not let any bonding!correct me if i am wrong.what kind of glue can hold something if the surfaces are oily?
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by LachlanTan LachlanTan wrote:

Does this have odour like eucalyptus?

It's supposed to be nearly oderless - a slight pretroleum smell.

The Ace Hardware website says it's only available through their catalog or over the web...darn.

F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 9:25pm
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
Flicker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by swissping swissping wrote:

Yes, thats right!

Normaly, lamp oil or paraffin oil should be legal as long as the vapor pressure is unter 0,3 mbar.

CTE, Stiga Boster and Speedaxel from Nittakku are all around 95% of praffin oil.

Assume CTE is mostlly 95% of paraffin oil, what chemical makes it effects last so long?  Anyone knows or has an idea?
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 10:56pm
crap, i've started treating already =P i'll take a pic of when i'm done though.
has anyone tried putting it on the topsheet too? i put some on an old h3 and it make the topsheet alot duller, but it felt a tad softer and restored its tackiness...anyone played with one with treated topsheet?

i let it sit for a while after 3 layers, and the topsheet is now alot softer, and you know how when u wetglue some rubbers the topsheet becomes MUCH softer and the pips kinda show thru the topsheet and you get a bumpy topsheet (dude that plays VERY VERY good, all those who still glue should try it). anyway its becoming alittle like that. if it plays as gd as it looks then WOW
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2008 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by holda holda wrote:

i am just not sure..after putting these substances on the sponge ,how can you possibly attach your rubber sheets to the blade?oily residue normally will not let any bonding!correct me if i am wrong.what kind of glue can hold something if the surfaces are oily?

make sure you rubbers are primed with a few coats of regular glue.
Before applying your lamp oil measure your rubbers.
Apply coats of lamp oil. Leave your rubbers overnight in a closed container (like a tipperware...).
The day after measure your rubbers and verify expansion.
Do not forget that the effects last a week or more so such a wait is no big deal.
After playing put your paddle with the rubbers on in a plastic bag and in a closed container.
If the day after it is still not dry but the sponge has expanded a 1/4 inch or so you are in business after using your hair dryer a little bit.
NOTE: If you are using the clicky press make sure to not press too tight: tightening a little bit with 2 fingers is just enough (the point is preventing the rubber to separate from the blade and high pressure is not only useless for that purpose it is also very bad for the sponge).
jingneogenesis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jingneogenesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 6:24am
woah..few days ago i was reading the eucalyptus oil thread i was like get out of here man..a few days later i'm reading this thread..i'm like woah serious? lol. any1 got pix for the dome of the rubbers after its treated?thx all..

@fatt
what happens if you glue the rubbers without the oil drying?will it stick?can you only stick the rubber after the sponge has expanded 1/4 inch?thx!!

-jing-
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 8:32am

After some research here are some examples of different products vapor pressures.  ITTF states that vapor pressure at or above 0.3 millibars is illegal.  I am assuming this is at the time of racket testing as it is not stated that way.  I am listing the vapor pressure in mm Hg instead of millibars.  0.3 millibars = 0.225 mm Hg (the legal ITTF limit)

1) Heptane: 40.0 mm Hg @ 20*C / 68*F
2) Kerosene: <2.0 mm Hg @ 20*C / 68*F  (At the gas pump kerosene)
3) Original lamp oil: 0.5 mm Hg @ 20*C / 68*F
4) Citronella torch fuel: 0.5 mm Hg @ 20*C / 68*F
5) Ultra pure lamp oil: 0.01 mm Hg @ 20*C / 68*F

So... depending on when you treat your sponge and rubber, several of the listed products may pass the enez concerning vapor pressure, but the only one listed that would pass immediately after use would be the Ultra pure oil listed #5.  The last 3 products are all made by Lamplight Farms brand.

pongcrazy
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 12:16pm
Hey guys, okay, so i put 13 *very thin* layers of the PO on my H3, and turned it into a tube. I applied it by putting some PO onto some bounty tissue clothe...so pretty nice even thin coats.

this was after the 13 layers of PO

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 12:24pm
then i put 5 layers of PO on the topsheet....

the PO smells less then CTE, and doesnt leave a film of rubber on the sponge/topsheet. I would guess the effect of PO will be mroe along the lines of CT rather then CTE.

play with it tomorrow
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 12:33pm
@7homuz
all these tuning w/so many coats of PO doesn't make this rbr heavy like dumb bell?

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by jingneogenesis jingneogenesis wrote:

woah..few days ago i was reading the eucalyptus oil thread i was like get out of here man..a few days later i'm reading this thread..i'm like woah serious? lol. any1 got pix for the dome of the rubbers after its treated?thx all..

@fatt
what happens if you glue the rubbers without the oil drying?will it stick?can you only stick the rubber after the sponge has expanded 1/4 inch?thx!!

-jing-

if you glue the rubbers without the oil drying you will get some unplayable mess.
i generally find that an expansion more than 1/4 inch will make the rubber too bouncy
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 2:09pm
Hi Fatt,,,
     Too fast or bouncy? No such thing for an attacking game.  LOL
     I know what you mean, the short game might suffer.
     I have been moving away from the $50 rubbers and have been having a hard time finding a comperable substitute. When I tuned the Venus, it is very close to my old favorite, Energy GP.
     I also tuned a sheet of 802-40. It also picked up 10% more in speed and spin. Both are Max sponge. Treated both sponge and topsheet.
     The Coleman fuel softened the topsheet where the spin factor went up a huge amount. Have to try the pure lamp oil next.Smile
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 7:33pm
For those that want to try lamp oil, they have it at Walmart.  Just look in the section of the store where they sell candles.  I just bought 32 oz. of the Ultra Pure there for $4.  They also had the Lamplight Farms regular lamp oil for about $1 cheaper.

[EDIT]:  I just opening the bottle and can confirm the stuff is oderless.  No smell at all.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 10:05pm
even though it is odourless, try not to inhale too much and do it in a ventilated area, it does give you a headache

(guess how i know =P)
LuckyNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2008 at 10:05pm
Hi to everybody!

Today I did a test....   prepared a mix of Rubber Cement with parrafine ( oil lamp) (more oil than RC).
First 3 layer of Parrafine Oil (PO) and aplied it  to old Innova rubber on the sponge because it already had glue on it.  wait like 5 minutes each.  Using glass glueing procedure.
2.-  Aply 2 new layer of the mix waiting 5 minutes each.
3.-  Aply 1 thinny layer of the mix to the blade and wait 10 minutes.
4.-  Put rubber on the blade and apply preasure with hand made press for 30 minutes.
5.-   After removed fron the press, aply a thinny coat on the top sheet and let it to dry.
6.-   test bouncing a ball....    wow the rubber get a life again.
7.-   Test with the robot, topspin, loops.

Lets see how long the effect of the tuning will be effective in days .... I�m going to leave the racket on the table tennis without cover.

Regards,

LuckyNet

bruno_ar2002 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 7:55am
hi,

Found this in a nearby store, Drakeol 7, light mineral oil, according to the internet its seems to be the same as paraffin oil. With vapore pressure < 0.1 mmhg. I'm going to try-it this week, on a used Sriver Fx Max, and a new H3 (comercial version).

http://www.penreco.com/products/pdfs/whitemineraloil/Drakeol_LightMinOilNF-776510.pdf

Method to use:
6(Sriver) and 10(H3) thin layers on sponge,
2 (Sriver) and 3 (H3) layers on topsheat.
1 day resting in a tapperware

I'll post the result ...

FH: H3B 40
BH: TGS 3-60
Blade: ZJ ALC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 9:30am
heeelp ....

I'm having some problems applying the oil,

I've put two layers in one hour but it does not penetrate? Any suggestions?

Should I continue putting one layers? Or should I what more time between layers?

ty

Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 12:14pm
i'm sure we'd all love some more pics of how this stuff is working -- $4 for 32oz. makes this rather attractive, and a little demo would (i'm sure) sway many of us who are sitting on the fence....
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by bruno_ar2002 bruno_ar2002 wrote:

heeelp ....

I'm having some problems applying the oil,

I've put two layers in one hour but it does not penetrate? Any suggestions?

Should I continue putting one layers? Or should I what more time between layers?

ty

are you testing on a rubber that has been speed glued a zillion times?
gene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 12:41pm
that could be the case here.
Acoustic F/h: globe999(black)
B/h: Bryce FX(red)
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 1:33pm
He also seems to be using White Mineral Oil, which I don't think is the same as paraffin oil.  I tried some PO out last night.  It did take awhile to fully penetrate the sponge (I was using pretty thick layers), and the back of the sponge still seemed a little bit oily this morning, but it definitely had domed.  I had also not been careful enough around the edges of the rubber (it was already cut), and had some bubbling of the topsheet.  Good thing it was only a $5 Dawei XP2008.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 2:03pm
When I have used paraffin, the first few layers soak in after a couple of minutes and it takes a little longer after that. You should be able to get 10-15 layers on in 1 hour.

I have had really good results putting 20+ layers of paraffin on top of about 10 old layers of speedglue.
7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 2:08pm
i'm going to try it out tonight... i hope it was worth the effort!

has anyone else actually played with theirs yet?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruno_ar2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 2:24pm
one rubber was new and one was used. the problem seems to be that mineral oil and PO is not the same, very similiar but not the same, the mineral oils is very thick, like regular food oil, pretty similar to vaselin, I left it like 2 hs and did not penetrate much.

have already order from amazon some PO, will see if it ships in .... :D
LuckyNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 3:14pm
Hi Bruno!

Mineral oil is not the same like Parrafine!   Is very extrange that in Argentina does not have "Lamp oil" or "Kerosene" or "citronela". 
You can find at supermarket or store that sales candels, things for picnic.

Hope this help you.

Regards,

LuckyNet.
LuckyNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckyNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 3:35pm

2day ....  Wink

Yesterday start the test with parrafine (oil Lamp) on old Innova rubber. 
Today the ball still  bouncing speedy, the rubber still 1/4 inch bigger than blade (Primorac Off -).   
The top sheet have a lot friction when do  loops.

In others words....  the parrafine is working.

To be continued....

LuckyNet.

Jack87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2008 at 7:40pm
Thanks LuckyNet

Big%20smile
Gambler Kevlar ST
Nittaku Refoma (1.5mm)
Yasaka Phantom 011 (OX)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
  Share Topic