Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Blades like Michael Maze / Timo Boll Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blades like Michael Maze / Timo Boll Spirit
    Posted: 02/29/2008 at 11:46am
Ok, like I said in another topic (Allround/Offensive blades and rubers), I'm comebacking in ping-pong. I'm an allround offensive player, close-mid, that like to block with his backhand and do spinny top-spin with his forehand. My game is more focussed on placement than speed.

I will purchase a hinoki blade (probably the Nittaku Septear), but Carbon-arylate blade seems really attractive.  So as a second paddle I would like to get one.  Anybody here can tell me what carbon-arylate blades in the cheaper brands (729, Gambler, Galaxy etc) are like Maze and TBS, wheter they're clones, knockoffs or just feeling like those?

Thank you!
(You can answer me in english and French)
Sponsored Links

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 12:21pm
Gambler arylate/carbon.  It may be a little slower than TBS??? But if your not worried about speed so much as placement than it may be an affordable option.  Also check out the Dawei GTS and Wavestone.  Not sure how the Dawei blades compare in terms of speed to the Gambler, but if one of those 3 don't do it I'm not sure what will.  Shoot Cole an email (colestt.com) or give him a call.  You shouldn't have to go any further than him for what you're looking for.

pongcrazy
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 1:07pm
The dawei GTS seems interesting after reading what ColesTT says about on his site!

What about the Galaxy K4, that is said to be in another topic, a Michael Maze like blade?
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 1:16pm

I haven't seen a Galaxy K-4, but my K-1 blade has an identical cross section to my friends Maze. The only difference is that the central ply in the K-1 goes down to about 1cm above the handle and then changes for a 3-ply middle section.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by gtlug gtlug wrote:

The dawei GTS seems interesting after reading what ColesTT says about on his site!

What about the Galaxy K4, that is said to be in another topic, a Michael Maze like blade?

K-4 is a TBS clone, K-5 is a Maze clone. It seems that K-5 has had a bit more people who tried and liked it. You can get both from colestt.com
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 2:46pm
Thank you guys!

For the K4, I made a mistake, I meant TBS
But on the galaxy blade table, it is said that is the K6 that is the Maze clone, so which one really is?

Between the Galaxy K4 (Tbs) , Galaxy K5 or K6 (Maze), and the Dawei GTS, what do you think is the best for me?

I'm still open to new suggestions!
Golden Skans View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Skans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 2:47pm
I thought K-4 and K-5 are Carbon-Kevlar blades.  Do they really perform similarly as Carbon-Arylate blades?
joris View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 3:12pm
We have Aramid carbon blade that is better than Arylate carbon blade.
joris
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 3:32pm

What aramid carbon blades? I need a not too much expensive one.

joris View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 3:57pm
That contains high energy-absorbing abilities, made more feeling and power.
joris
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:10pm
Hi Joris. When you say "we have" do you sell them?
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
gtlug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtlug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:15pm
Thank you Joris for answering me!
I understand that Carbo-Aramid are quite similar to Carbon/Arylate, maybe better, but can you name me some blades made of these matierials?

If you name me at least one or two Carbo-Aramid Blades, that would be great! And if you can tell me what tou think is the best to buy between these blades, and the others named before (Dawei and Galaxy), that would be greater!
bordtennisfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bordtennisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:25pm
BTY michael maze rock
BTY: M.MAZE
     G2 FX
     Sriver FX
No
GLUE
!!!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 4:58pm

Thank you guys!

For the K4, I made a mistake, I meant TBS
But on the galaxy blade table, it is said that is the K6 that is the Maze clone, so which one really is?

Between the Galaxy K4 (Tbs) , Galaxy K5 or K6 (Maze), and the Dawei GTS, what do you think is the best for me?

I'm still open to new suggestions!

K-5 and K-6 are really very similar. True, K-6 was claimed to be a complete Maze clone but I am not sure if K-6 available from Cole. They are almost the same blades, I am not even sure why Galaxy makes them as different blades... Also K-5 was claimed to be just a tad faster than K-6 which is good in my book since I wouldn't mind if my TBS (former) or Strad were a little faster...

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 7:10pm
The Galaxy K4 plays similar to the Timo Boll Spirit in many ways.

My Galaxy K4 weighed in at 87 grams, whereas my lightest TBS weighs in at 91 grams.

The Dawei GTO I've been told is close to a TBS as well, but I haven't tried one.

The Galaxy K6 is said to be the Michael Maze clone, again i  haven't tried one.

The Galaxy K5 is said to be a Viscaria clone, again I haven't tried one.
joris View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 7:36pm
Gtlug, I list some blades for Aramid carbon: AVXJ-ARAMID,XIOM STRADIVARIUS,ANDRO,CHAMPION KYNEE.
I've just bought 2 Kynee from Champion,very nice blades.Champion has a good service,I paid on Friday, then received the blades on Monday, 3 days only.
I just want to share good stuff for everybody.
joris
Brainstorm69 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brainstorm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 9:01pm
I have a K-4.  I haven't played with it much, but did play some last week with it.  Found I liked it alot.  Probably the lower end of OFF, with good control.  Short game plays very nice, almost like my PhalanxII (OFF-), although probably not quite as good.  Seems to have a second gear when I hit it harder.
F3S | Tulpe T-7007 | F3S
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/29/2008 at 11:18pm
You know what! Get 729 (Friendship) V-6 from Eacheng

http://eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=1739

I have just played with it and I am surprised at how decent this blade really is. There is still question about the underlying quality of manufacturing (that is, will it withstand regluing and hits on the edge) but so far I am very impressed... and all that for $27 !!! you can't go wrong... even you don't like it you can always sell it to just anybody for $25 and get yourself another blade...

See the first parts of my review at

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16577&PN=1

jcdenton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcdenton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2008 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Juan King Carlo Juan King Carlo wrote:

I haven't seen a Galaxy K-4, but my K-1 blade has an identical cross section to my friends Maze. The only difference is that the central ply in the K-1 goes down to�about 1cm�above the handle and then changes for a 3-ply middle section.

I'm interested in the K1 since I've seen a picture on the galaxy website.

The center plie on this picture looks very different to the Maze.I thought maybe it is hinoki (would explain the much higher price compared to rest of k-series).After what you are saying it pretty much has to be a ayous center ply.
What's the difference in feel, and speed of k1 and Maze?http://yinhe1986.cn/english/news/27/2006331175450.htm
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2009 at 5:52am

Ok, like I said in another topic (Allround/Offensive blades and rubers), I'm comebacking in ping-pong. I'm an allround offensive player, close-mid, that like to block with his backhand and do spinny top-spin with his forehand. My game is more focussed on placement than speed.

I will purchase a hinoki blade (probably the Nittaku Septear), but Carbon-arylate blade seems really attractive.  So as a second paddle I would like to get one.  Anybody here can tell me what carbon-arylate blades in the cheaper brands (729, Gambler, Galaxy etc) are like Maze and TBS, wheter they're clones, knockoffs or just feeling like those?

Thank you!
(You can answer me in english and French)

(Wow, how did I miss this topic?!)

gtlug,

Did you pick a blade yet? I haven't played with Maze or TBS but I'm sure that the Gambler Arylate Carbon does not "feel" like those b/c it is very flexible and not fast. The Maze and TBS are too fast to be that flexible. I'm pretty confident I know this by default. (I've also heard the TBS compared to blades I know to be faster than the Gambler AC).

The Wavestone has great feel for how fast it is... but it is fast.

Dawei GTS... can't go wrong. From a player who has used the GTS and the TBS; the TBS is faster without sacrificing a lot of control.

From what you've described in your want list: I'd say GTS. I think ppgear carries them in Canada or you could get one from colestt.com in the States.
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/23/2009 at 9:02am
and according to BH-man, who's played with TBS and the T8 extensively, the T8 is faster.

Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 9:56am
Galaxy k-6, well, mine was a few grams ligther than my former maze.
big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 10:14am

petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
NgocHip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NgocHip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 12:41pm
can someone help meget the list of chinese "clone" blades? Thanks
NgocHip
bearT View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bearT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by NgocHip NgocHip wrote:

can someone help meget the list of chinese "clone" blades? Thanks

Galaxy/Yinhe
Take with a large grain of salt. I believe they're not exact clones.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 1:35pm
They're not exact clones, but they are quite similar into almost every aspects, thickness and feeling may differ a little bit, but nothing much really...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 4:51pm
gtlug, there are probably several dozen blades that you would like if you tried them. NOTHING will replace the TBS or MAZE - they are unique. However, many Dawie/Galaxy/729/Gambler/U name it blades can perform very well at a real nice proce for what you want - an OFF or OFF - blade with good feel and performance.

U will like the GTS, even if it is slower than the TBS. Your shots land will nice spin/control/feel and you can still crank up the power if you need it - just add arm and wrist snap/timing. The T-7 is a neato alterative at an OFF- to OFF speed. several 729 carbon and A/C blades can do it. I never tried Gambler stuff, but you can find out well enough here.

Hope you can find someone with a setup you wish to try because it is a risk to keep buying stuff until you discover what you like. All of us have special or picky criteria. Good on you if you can have a hit first. I hear TTP lets you try first and return later (for a restocking fee) and that doesn't sound so bad, although they sell mostly Euro/Japanese name brand stuff that is more expensive than the bargain brand nice blades from Galaxyt/Dawei.

Be sure to give us all a full report whe you figure it out.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2009 at 10:11pm
of course bh-man, every blade is unique, just look at all the 5-ply looping blade similar to offensive classic, they do play similar, but they all have something more for the cost of something less. Nothing can replace the tbs, I agree, it's unique, but also, nothing can replace the galaxy k-4, I owned both of them and without looking at them, I couldn't tell the differences...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic