Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reusing rubbers on multiple blades.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reusing rubbers on multiple blades.
    Posted: 03/21/2008 at 7:10pm
A lot of players seem to cut their rubbers to a size larger than the surface area of their blade. I was under the impression it was mainly for two reasons

1. something to do with resizing when speed gluing.
2. so they can swap between different blades.

I'm not a speed gluer but I know a lot of you out there recycle rubbers a lot. How much do you leave off the edge so that it will fit well on most different blades?

Is there any downside to having rubbers that are slightly bigger than the blade head? I've always cut my rubbers flush to the edge but then i'm trying more rubbers now and i don't want to waste any good rubbers....
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
Sponsored Links

hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 7:21pm
i sometimes do that just so when i hit the table, it hurts the rubber, not my baby blade.
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 7:30pm
This is what I do.......

I trace the outline of each blade I will use on a piece of paper, carefully lining up where the rubber meets the end of the handle.  After tracing each blade, cut the paper on the outer most line(s) so your paper will be the largest of all the dimesions of the different blades.  This will ensure that the rubber will fully cover each blade.  Use the paper as a template and mark the sponge side of the rubber before cutting.  Hope it helps. Wink

pongcrazy
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
anixon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anixon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2008 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by pongcrazy pongcrazy wrote:

This is what I do.......

I trace the outline of each blade I will use on a piece of paper, carefully lining up where the rubber meets the end of the handle.  After tracing each blade, cut the paper on the outer most line(s) so your paper will be the largest of all the dimesions of the different blades.  This will ensure that the rubber will fully cover each blade.  Use the paper as a template and mark the sponge side of the rubber before cutting.  Hope it helps. Wink

pongcrazy

That's a great idea! thanks for the tip!
Blades:
Xiom Stradivarius - Sriver EL 2.1
Andro Super Core Kinetic OFF+ - Plasma 380 2.0
Stiga Allround Evolution - Palio CJ8000 2.2
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2008 at 11:21am

Hm. Is it really bother somebody for real?

All standard/ragular blades(even from different manufacturers)  has a very similar head.(don't catch me here - not the same exactly). And I don't believe it can really infuence the game, especially for the attacking style  players.

why:
Let's say it is 1 mm from evry side.
 On smashes: That is really not impotant, because If you have the right smash it is somewhere in the middle+ part
 Top Spins:
On spins you are are moving you racket very tangentially, so if the ball touches your blade in 1-2 first millimeters of your blade - it is very likely will touch the corner of the blade during the begining of the dwelling proces- so in this case, the result will be the same in both cases(not good :)).
 And so on and so on.
I can go throug all main elements of loper - I think I will get the same result.

The very important element that does suffer from the size of rubber  significantly - it is CHOP. but not the one that attacking players do usually, during the short game!!! That is because the fast rubbers are not really used for too sophisticated chops close to the table anyway. So the main purpose of short game chops for Attackers is Placement of the ball and much less the complicatedness of it. So usually they will not take chances playing with ball closer to the corners of the blade, where the bounce could differ from the middle (choppers would)

That is all very IMHO 

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2008 at 11:28am
Oh, and let's add the point that if it is really about the difference between heads of blades...
1-4 millimeters difference in size would be taken care of, during  the glueing this one to the blade, without forcing the rubber at all

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2008 at 11:47am
With my blades there is sometimes a 2-3 mm difference in the length of the blade's face, so if I reuse the smaller rubber I simply move the rubber up a bit leaving little space between the top of the handle and the lower edge of the rubber.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic