Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing against Penhold Blocker.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kooledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against Penhold Blocker.
    Posted: 04/06/2008 at 12:50am
Hi I play shake hand.  I loop with FH, and bh I can hit and loop.  However, I have the most trouble with Penholders.  There is one guy who I play, he uses short pips and every time I loop I just get blocked out of place.  It seems like I need more time to do my shots when playing this kind of player.  What are some strategies playing against this type of style?
Thanks! 
Sponsored Links

zchao93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zchao93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 12:51am
penhold blocks pwn pwhahaha. penholder myself of course. sry im no help. maybe u should try a differnet strategy when playing him
hpesoj07 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpesoj07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 12:59am
i think when playing with a penholder blocker you should practice smashing balls if he is a right handed player just always aim for his backhand because penholders backhand is weaker than their forehand.

another thing also if you always think in your mind that you cannot return it you will not return his balls.  think positive and always reads the position of his racket and how his hitting the ball.

Tongue
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 1:02am
If your opponent is blocking your FH loop easily, you have to look at your stroke carefully. He is comfortable with the spin or the force on your smash. Practice changing the amount of top spin on your loop. Good luck.
kooledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 1:04am
there are time I do a slow spinny loop and a medium speed loop.  Maybe I should work on a loop kill after my 3rd ball?  
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 2:44am
yeh id recommend is changing the spin and varying ur smashed as these guys above have stated
at times he zhi wen blocks into the net for misreading the amount of topspin, so ya.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

liondefence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liondefence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 12:56pm
Hmm..i'd say try not playing his game. If he's a really good blocker and feeds off the pace of your shots, change and vary them. I have a blocker type of player in my club and what i do is chop/topspin/sidepsin to his backhand/mid table and when he pops up a weak one i just smash it. Also, i don't know the blocking level of your opponent, but try adding serious amounts of topspin. If he blocks them easily, u gota play him all over the table.
Mind over power.

Donic Defplay Senso (FL)
FH: Globe 999 N-in
BH: TSP CURL P1-R
Overgrip: Wilson(White)
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by hpesoj07 hpesoj07 wrote:

i think when playing with a penholder blocker you should practice smashing balls if he is a right handed player just always aim for his backhand because penholders backhand is weaker than their forehand.

another thing also if you always think in your mind that you cannot return it you will not return his balls.  think positive and always reads the position of his racket and how his hitting the ball.

Tongue

I am a PH player and for me its easier to block on the backhand, looping is hard with penhold backhand side but just blocking is easier than forehand, at least for me.
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
BrunodeDanann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrunodeDanann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2008 at 1:53pm
finish the point as soon as you can
Harimoto ALC
HUrricane 3
Vega asia
tony7190 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony7190 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2008 at 6:55pm
It is most definitely easier to block with bh ph unless you're talking about really wide backhand.  I play pips ph.  You should have more luck with his fh.  Try adding extra topspin so that the ball bounces up when he blocks it back.  I guess just keeping smashing?  If he has pips, it should be harder for him to loop long shots too...
DHS 4007 Penhold Blade
FH: 802-40
BH: G888
Jpholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jpholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2008 at 10:09pm
I often play against a C-pen blocker and pusher and I can tell you it's difficult. My strategy is to kill the ball either with smash or hard (vary) spins. Also, see if your opponent's FH block is weak.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2008 at 10:45pm
I know people hate  the old regular penhold bh, but I love. I love blocking with it and I can make really aggressive shots with it just by pushing.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2008 at 11:27pm
You can try very spinny loops, but deeper. Blockers should have an easier time blocking and deflecting your loops if they land mid-distance or shorter on the table. You might be able to pop some up and attack the next ball.

Otherwise try experimenting. You may have to really step it up and aggressively loop drive further to the corners (or even the shorter extremes that are even further off the corners than regular corner shots, if you know what I mean).

Otherwise try the defensive game with pushing and see where that leads. In any case, whenever your opponent's strategy is clearly beating your normal strategy, you have to experiment and try new things.

I was playing a chopper last week who uses anti-spin. My normal low spinny loops weren't working as he was chopping them back fine with no problem. My varied serves weren't tricking him either. I was down 2-0 and knew I had to change my game plan or it's game over. I changed strategies and starting looping more to his FH, on every single ball, stepping around the corner and such. That worked well as he wasn't as consistent with the FH inverted, and I ended up winning 3-2.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
PingPangQiu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPangQiu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 9:47am
Try to drag them wide to the fh side from the table using hook loops and start the rallies from there, if you get a chance to loop it to their bh they will block it up and go for the winner.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 9:54am
Most of those guys I've played seem to feed on your pace. If you give a slow, high, spinny loop you'll get something back you can attack. At least that seems the case around 1600ish. They also seem better in their bh corner. They can go down the line or cross with very little telegraphing.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
kooledge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kooledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 11:39am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Most of those guys I've played seem to feed on your pace. If you give a slow, high, spinny loop you'll get something back you can attack. At least that seems the case around 1600ish. They also seem better in their bh corner. They can go down the line or cross with very little telegraphing.

Yea that seems to be the case.  They go down the line or just go cross court easily! 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 2:02pm
go to spin more shots to his/her right side
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 3:08pm
i find this useful with traditional penhold pip players ... may work for yuo if you are a good looper.

i loop far on his forehand ... making him move a couple of steps. and immediately loop (fh or bh) deep into his backhand.

they usually don't do very well bloacking away from their body on their back hand side.
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2008 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

i find this useful with traditional penhold pip players ... may work for yuo if you are a good looper.

i loop far on his forehand ... making him move a couple of steps. and immediately loop (fh or bh) deep into his backhand.

they usually don't do very well bloacking away from their body on their back hand side.

unless the player has a killer backand away from body when being able to freely move the arm..Wink
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2008 at 7:09pm

or unless if he plays with both hands. ;)

stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2008 at 1:31am
I have that problem and the reason I have trouble to deal with the block is I can't get back in position fast enough so I against penholders with short pips or ANY players who blocks well off the bounce I have to loop with my arm closer to my body that way I'll be back ready much faster. If I extend my arm too much then it better be a winner. 

Of course as they said above more spin and less speed is something to try since speed may work against you while more spin will annoy them especially on their bh.

Short story short: Slow spinny loops with a fast arm close to the body to patiently build the point and only when him/her is brought far to either side you can try a power loop with a more extended arm toward the other side (but sometimes the same). That works with a lot of players.
hpesoj07 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hpesoj07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2008 at 5:37am
all of our suggestions was right... hehehe... 
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2008 at 2:31pm
seek for ryu seung min, me must know how to play against he zhiwen style ......
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2008 at 3:36pm
Take PP Gear and Cole's advice..
deep slow spinny loop.. to the middle or wide forehand..
if the return is high smash it..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 8:56pm
1-play no spin hit a lot,get into the rally play no slow spin, i swallow when somebody gaves me slow spin, when i play girls with no spin juts flat style i m in trouble then i play ph with pips

for any penold playing down the line is tricky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic