Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

who is the best player who has ever lived

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
i rock View Drop Down
Forum Flooder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 11:06am
and do u have any images of waldners actual blade

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 11:09am
Regardless of the era, my opinion is that Waldner is the best of all time.  He changed the game, and was one of the only ones to have survived the change to the 40mm ball and the migration to speed glue.  He adapted and made the best of the changes.  He raised the game to a new level and dominated everyone.  The ITTF couldn't figure out a way to make him illegal or to lift the rest of the world to his level.  

Waldner just seemed to play so casually and relaxed, even in major matches.  He really enjoyed the game.  It's like he wanted to play table tennis more than he wanted to do anything else.  

We are lucky to have lived during his career.  There are plenty of video records for us to enjoy and from which to learn.    
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 11:10am
Originally posted by i rock i rock wrote:

and do u have any images of waldners actual blade

Who cares?  None of us will even have the kind of mastery of the game to approach what he could do with ANY given piece of equipment.  
atv View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by riker71 riker71 wrote:

only 5 years 11 months since last post. Well dug out.. Probably none of previous posters are active on here these days. Can only be the best in the era that you are born, train, play. For era of 80's to now I have to pick Waldner.

Or just see who is the best poster in this forum of all times... the debate could be as tense as this post...

YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2011 at 4:37pm
Best player ever?
I don't have a single name; I have 3 greatest players on my list.
Guo Yuehua, Waldner, and Wang Liqin.

RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Truffel Truffel wrote:

I think Jan-Ove Waldner is the best player who ever lived. He won everything you can win. And also in the age of 39 he was successful at the Olympic games.

Almost 20 years he was one of the best players of the world.

No player else has so many variations and talent.

What he said..... Clap

Founding member and club director of: Davidson County Table Tennis Club, NC.

www.davidsoncountytabletennisclub.com

CLUB SPONSORS: Joola, Giant Dragon, Zero Pong, Newgy, mypingpongbuddy
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 2:18am
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

Regardless of the era, my opinion is that Waldner is the best of all time.  He changed the game, and was one of the only ones to have survived the change to the 40mm ball and the migration to speed glue.  He adapted and made the best of the changes.  He raised the game to a new level and dominated everyone.  The ITTF couldn't figure out a way to make him illegal or to lift the rest of the world to his level.  

Waldner just seemed to play so casually and relaxed, even in major matches.  He really enjoyed the game.  It's like he wanted to play table tennis more than he wanted to do anything else.  

We are lucky to have lived during his career.  There are plenty of video records for us to enjoy and from which to learn.    

Is that why he had losing records to Kong, Liu, Chen, and Jiang? Oh wait...
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 5:43am
I know we all love Waldner but really you only have to glance at Barna's record to see that he has no equivalent. He made TT what it is today and perhaps was the only player that was famous worldwide outside the sport.
But of all players only 2 really dominated all others over a significant period; Bergman and Gue (?). In fact, I can't remember Gue really losing anything significant. But someone will correct me.
The 2 players I'd go out of my way and spend big money to watch are Wang LiQin, Waldner and these days, Zhang Jike.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 6:07am

The ITTF couldn't figure out a way to make him illegal or to lift the rest of the world to his level. 

Walder is a rare european champion. ITTF would NEVER try to ban a rare euro champion. They go out to get the chinese to stop chinese domination. They would never try to stop an euro player from doing well. I wonder if euro dominance would cause a reverse, i doubt it because of the number of euro countries, but who knows...

From what ive seen LGL was the only one who got hunted. And the current chinese team.
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 7:04am
I don't think any modern player can be classed as the greatest player, because Table tennis was a more  popular sport over sixty years ago and it drew much bigger live audiences, than today.

And I agree with Tinykin that no one else can match Victor Barna.

Whilst Waldner gets my vote as the best player of the modern era, Victor Barna's name has been synonymous with Table Tennis since the 1920's.

Speedstick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

I don't think any modern player can be classed as the greatest player, because Table tennis was a more  popular sport over sixty years ago and it drew much bigger live audiences, than today.

Whilst Waldner gets my vote as the best player of the modern era, Victor Barna's name has been synonymous with Table Tennis since the 1920's.

+1 LOL

here's a VICTOR BARNA article, stating he's the greatest of all time.. Wink

JOOLA Stellwag; Xiom Sigma Euro/Stiga Almana Sound ST

BUTTERFLY Red Kim Taek Soo; XIOM Omega IV

Lord, Grant what You command, and command what You will. -ST.AUGUSTINE
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 9:51am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Could you perhaps point me in direction of a player who don't have a losing record to any one?
The holy grail
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 10:53am
Originally posted by liXiao liXiao wrote:

Simple answer to a simple question.  They were able to adapt to Waldner with good coaching.  They were not innovators, just imitators.  I'd be surprised if other players didn't figure out Waldner and how to counter him.  

TTslurp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTslurp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

All these players you guys are talking about have lost a match in a major upset, has jiang jialiang ever lost a match in which it was a major upset?

Olympics -88 he lost to Eric Lindh.

I love Jiang, especially his forehand was beautiful artwork.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 1:19pm
There are a few candidates: Toshiaki Tanaka, Mitsuru Kohno, Zhuang Zedong, Jiang Jialiang, Liu Guoliang, Wang Liqin.  However, the one that stands out above the all is Mr. Ichiro Ogimura, the Ping Pong-san.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Speedstick Speedstick wrote:

Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

+1 LOL

here's a VICTOR BARNA article, stating he's the greatest of all time.. Wink

Not to look over the fact that they wouldn't let him compete internationally until he was 18 and his career was cut short by a car crash that broke his playing arm.
shaolinTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaolinTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/03/2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

There are a few candidates: Toshiaki Tanaka, Mitsuru Kohno, Zhuang Zedong, Jiang Jialiang, Liu Guoliang, Wang Liqin.  However, the one that stands out above the all is Mr. Ichiro Ogimura, the Ping Pong-san.
Yes, CF, Ogimura's enormous and unselfish contribution to TT is second to none.  Thumbs Up
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/04/2011 at 4:41am
I may be wrong, but I believe Waldner played Guo Yuehua twice, and lost twice? I remember reading an interview with Waldner where he stated that he and Persson thought Guo Yuehua was the best.

Though I don't think he's the "best", I think Rong Guotuan deserves to be mentioned for his contributions to China and to the sport.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic