Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Secretin question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Secretin question
    Posted: 06/19/2008 at 11:38am

One guy at my club plays with a BTY Secretin blade with regular Sriver on the forehand (no speed glue) and a hard Chinese rubber on the backhand.  Many of us are so surprised at how much power he can generate with his forehand.  It's enough to put many of us EJ's to shame.

Anyway, I've tried searching for descriptions of his blade but so far have come up empty.  If anybody has a link or description of the BTY Secretin, that would be cool.  I suspect that it was a pre-made and he just scraped off the rubbers and glued Sriver on it.
Sponsored Links

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 12:04pm
That must be an old blade, wasn't Secretin a player from well back in the day?
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 1:15pm
good old table tennis
absolutely love this video
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 1:31pm

wow...that's a blade you don't hear about much these days.  Secretin was a ranked tt player in the seventies - over 15x french tt champion.

that's an old blade.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Table_Tennis_Champions

Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 2:11pm

Yep, the blade is pretty old.  But his technique, at least on the forehand loop, is good and precise that he's still able to generate good power even with non-speedglued Sriver.  Anyway, many top players including professionals use their old blades. 

7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 4:06pm
I bet he will be able to generate the same power with just about anything. Some players have power "build-in", while others need to compensate with fast blades.
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 5:44pm
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2008 at 5:45pm
I wouldn't say it's power built in, i'd say that it is skill
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 4:57am
it's an allround blade. somebody at my club uses one
concombre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concombre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:34am
Hey I have one!

Look at that (sorry for the bad quality...):

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 11:02am

Concombre - thanks for the pic.  So it was sold as just a blade?  Then it appears my assumption that it's a pre-made is incorrect.  Do you still use it and if so, what kind of rubbers have you put on it?

Anyway, yes, the guy has "built in" power.  If it's an all around blade like Skyline says, that's even more impressive.  The rest of his game is not really great but when he sets his feet and uncoils his body for a forehand loop, he gets good power.  Well, at least now I know he's not beating everyone with a blade from a pre-made Smile
Master_of_loops View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:19pm

My club friend has this blade. Full name is Butterfly Secretin ALL. Its a pretty hard and heavy weight blade. Also its a fastest blade I have ever tried. Double faster then Schlager carbon. Its a 7 ply all thick wood blade, and has weight about 110 gr, and thickiness is 10mm.

Master_of_loops View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Master_of_loops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:19pm
It has devil speed. but without control.
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2008 at 5:26pm
Secretin was a world Mixed Doubles Champion and 17 times French Singles Champion. I didnt know until I read below that he was also European Mens singles champion.  A great player with a wicked forehand and did a lot for Table Tennis in terms of pure style and entertainment. I remember the blade on its own available in the 80's, the badge was red blue and white of French flag if I remember right.

Translated from Wiki France:

Quote Born in a mining region of northern France, it is from a family of champions ping-pong. Gaucher, ll start the competition at the age of 8 and a half. In 26-year career, it is with Jean-Philippe Gatien one of the most titled pongistes de France: World champion mixed doubles with Claude Bergeret 1977 in Birmingham (England), quadruple champion of Europe (whose singles in 1976 against the Soviet Anatoly Strokatov in the final), 61 times champion of France (17 times in simple men, 10 times in men's double, 11 times in mixed doubles, 23 times by teams) and 59 times champion in several international tournaments [1].

Totaling 495 selections in the France team, it was three times bronze medallist in the double World Championships, participated 16 times in European Top 12 and won 237 medals abroad: 117 gold, 43 d ' silver, 77 bronze. In 1986, he decided to stop his career high-level [2]. Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur and the National Order of Merit, he was elected "best pongiste french of the century". Licensee in the club Levallois-Perret [3] since 1985, he won the Cup in Europe clubs in 1990, alongside Jean-Philippe Gatien.

Since the 1980's, Jacques Secr�tin participates in exhibitions and performances orchestrated by another de France champion table tennis, Vincent Purkart. It presents a show called "Music-Ping-Show" with pongistes Patrick Renverse and Fran�ois Farout.

Jacques Secr�tin still plays table tennis. Joined the club B�thune [4] and that of Lys-lez-Lannoy, it is ranked No. 225 in France [5]. It is now responsible for development, promotion and social integration through sport, the French Federation of table tennis [6]. He published his autobiography in 2007, I am a child of the ball, published by Jacob-Duvernet. Some gyms, sports halls and squares bear his name.

concombre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concombre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2008 at 5:30am
Hi,

I think that it's a very good blade. The blade is very hard, and fast, but not too much. Mine is not too heavy ~90gr. I don't play very often with this one, but when I use it, I put some soft rubbers on it like energy x-tra or nimbus soft, due to it's rigidity. It's a nice blade with good feeling.

And yes, like riker71 said, a sticker with the French flag was on the handle.

I bought the Secretin, a Kenny Style and a Vriesekoop for fiver dollars in a flea market...

Secretin (ce cr�tin) in French means "this freak".....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic