Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galaxy T-1 review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galaxy T-1 review
    Posted: 07/31/2008 at 11:16pm
Ok I've played a fair bit with this blade now and got some suitable rubbers on it. So here's my opinion. I like to call this blade the big slogger:) because it's one of if not the fastest and meanest blade I've come across, I still can't believe it so inexpensive.  In the past I've used fast heavy carbon blades. Sometimes heavier than the T-1 but I don't "think" any where quite this quick.

First impressions of bounce the ball on the blade were that it was VERY fast and very consistant, almost total blade sweet spot as you expect from a thick and hard carbon with super thin outer plys. The first week I played with it I used some very tacky nine nine nine T's 999T @ 45 degrees sponge. This certainly were not the right rubbers for this blade because the result was an uncontrolable pig :p. So I gave up on that idea.

During the week I tried a few different rubbers on it and after whacking some balls against the living room wall I decided no19 H2 @ 35 degrees for the forehand and a Stiga Mendo on the backhand, not sure how hard/soft the Stiga is but it's of a similar speed to the no19 H2.

So this week I had a big hit out with the T-1 with the above rubbers, It was still a little hard to hang onto close and over the table but was possible to loop and hit from that close and would come to you with practise. But the really amazing thing and the reason I'm going to keep the blade/combo is when I had a practise season with it. I was counter hitting on the forehand with a guy and could loop drive from 3-4 meters back hitting 90+ % winners with this blade, it made these kind of shots very very easy, very nice big curving drive loops from that distance at insane speeds. Which were getting getting alot of "niceeeeeee" comments from the other guy :). Also when he hit one back onto my backhand I could smack them straight back at his forehand like a fly swat flick backhand for winners from along way off the table such is the pace of this blade.

So after such an inspiring practice it was my turn for another game in the teams and I decided to have a go with this blade but in this scenario against a looper that sets up with slow chops I found this blade useless, it's just a little too fast for this job and since I'm mostly a close to the table looper It wasn't really doing the job for me, I still won the game but he wasn't a player at my same level.

All in all I think if I had someone at my club that could push me back from the table with genuine pace where I could loop from a few meters out pro style, then this blade would be very good for the job, but then if they brang the game back short mid point it would be an issue to keep control of it. Anyway for the moment I'll use it as a slogger for practicing from distance, I was so sore today when I woke up after using this blade as it's alot heavier than my main blade (balsa 6.5) so it's ideal purpose in life is a muscle training device I think :D and for showing off.

I'd reccomend this blade to anyone looking for a fun blade that has a HEAP of room around their table, I feel you would want to be a very good player to actually use it in serious competition, it's well beyond my skill level for that kind of job but it certainly has the right stuff for enjoying a hit out :).

P.S I was mostly hitting the H2 forehand, but swapping sides from the no19 H2 to Stiga Mendo could still produce the same winners from the same distance with the exact same stroke so there was very little difference between those two rubbers in terms of how they hit the ball on this blade

Note: I edited this because the rubber I was using was infact H2 #19 :) original post said H3 but I was in a state of confusion it seems too many H's :)!

Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 12:42am
Nice review! I agree it's a very fast blade, and will go best with softer rubbers to get a bit of dwell time for control and spin.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
rossicarbon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 6:23am
have you got any of the T-1 in stock?
ttrubberman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttrubberman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2008 at 9:44am
Are you interested to get a ST T1?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic