Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

XIOM Fuga Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: XIOM Fuga Review
    Posted: 08/17/2008 at 4:42am
Okay, here it goes...

The Fuga is one of three of the Xiom's Novus Wood series.

The 5 ply blade is made of Koto - Spruce - Ayous - Spruce � Koto at 5.6-5.8 mm thickness.

The made and finishing of the blade is superb and very smooth. The flaw I see: the cut on the logo on the handle is not very straight, but it's a very minuscule overlook.

If I were to rate it on the finishing/make of the blade, I would rate it at 99% (points taken off for the small flaw.)

The head is about the average size, the size according to Xiom's specification are: 158x150.2 while the handle are 100x34x24 for the FL & 100x29x22 for the ST. The ST handle is slightly smaller towards the bottom end. First thing I noticed when holding it was how nice and comfortable it is on my hand. The handle is wide and thick enough, about as good as my Hurricane blades FL handles. Feels thinner but wider than the HK. It's certainly wider and thicker than the Korbel FL & Wavestone FL handles which I also have. The head is about the same as my Hurricanes & Korbel blades.

The weight quoted for me is 83.8g (FL) & 83.4g (ST) but when I weighed it using my dad's digital weight scale for his medicines, it weighed at 84.05g (FL) & 83.75g (ST). Close enough to the quoted weight.

The rubbers I put on the blade are: Hurricane 3 Provincial 39 degree and Prasidha Tokyo 2, so they are the same rubbers as I have on the Hurricane King setup.  

Now, here are the preliminary/first impressions I have on the blade:

First  times I hit with it, certainly much better compared to the first time I hit with Aria, which felt bad right after trying Amadeus, but after awhile got better as I play longer with Aria.

The blade feels softer than Aria, slightly harder than Amadeus. It's slower than the Aria, probably the same as Korbel, and has a good dwell time. I could impart heavy spins on both fast and slow loops just fine.

On fast loops, I felt it as quick as I did with the Amadeus (not as quick as Ignito, which is best in this regard in my opinion). It's quite fast, but just my feeling I could do it much faster with Ignito.

Blocks are effortless, just a good amount of bounce. I don't have problem on the short play with it.
Chops are fine short and long, nothing to write home about.

I usually don't smash on FH, so I don't know how it does altering between loops and smashes. The few smashes on FH I did were good. Not blazing fast of course with the Hurricane rubber, but enough to win the point. I smash on the BH, when I smash, it generates fast speed and power.

Control is good. Feels sharper than the Aria

I switched sides and used the Tokyo 2 on the FH and it felt great. Things are going faster, much faster, but still with good amount of control. I think for those playing with both Japanese/European rubbers will be satisfied with the amount of speed and control of this blade. This is even without gluing.
For those who haven't played with Tokyo 2 rubber, I think it's somewhat similar with Bryce Speed FX on speed and spin ( I feel spinier for Tokyo 2). Less bouncy on the short play and better control over all.

Actually, playing with Fuga, my Tokyo 2 on FH feels so great. I like it the most compared to other blades I have tried. Seems like Tokyo 2 on the FH of Fuga is a perfect match for me. I switched the rubbers more often than I had previously with other blades.

It vibrates quite a bit on flat hit, even more so when I flat hit using H3P rubber on the FH. Flat hitting with Tokyo 2 gives less vibration. When looping, I feel the vibration is less pronounce, just slightly and gives good feedback. Flat hitting with H3P is quite bad feedback, but because I don't flat hit with my FH a lot so this is not a problem. It is less of a problem if using other rubber as well as I found out with the Tokyo 2 on FH.

Throw is about medium I'd say.

Now, how do I feel about Fuga vs HK? Many said the HK is an overpriced blade with nothing special about it. Nevertheless, I like it much. The Fuga, is a pretty good alternative. Especially at about a third of the cost of HK. It's fairly fast, especially using the Tokyo 2. Good at medium distance, probably better closer to the table (I'm still struggling trying to stay closer to the table). With good, soft but clear feel and good amount of control.

Please bear in mind that this is just preliminary impressions. I do plan to revisit the blades after I finish making my round with the untested blades. Plus I want to try the xiom blades with the Zeta rubber I just got.

Well, that's it for now.
Comments and questions are welcome.
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Sponsored Links

TAKOYAK1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TAKOYAK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2008 at 4:56am
great review Thumbs%20Up
Blade: Nittaku Septear Cpen
FH: DHS H3 Provincial 2.2
BH: Dawei Inspirit Quattro 2.2
hafawaz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hafawaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2008 at 9:25pm
thanks for the review and great pics...
Senkoh - 85 with Sriver EL 2.1
Keyshot Light with Sriver FX 2.1
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2008 at 8:56am
Since it is constructed from koto - spruce - ayous - spruce - koto, it is a clone of Avalox P500 then (and old version of OC).  Probably felt the same as well if they all have exactly the same thickness.

Great review as always!!!
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2008 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by doraemon doraemon wrote:

Since it is constructed from koto - spruce - ayous - spruce - koto, it is a clone of Avalox P500 then (and old version of OC).  Probably felt the same as well if they all have exactly the same thickness.

Great review as always!!!

I haven't tried the P500 & OC. Certainly can't get the old version of OC... Ouch

Construction is also the same as the HK. Slightly thicker than my HK. Fuga: the top ply is thinner, second & 4th layers and core is thicker.

Bouncing ball on bare blades, Fuga vs HK. Fuga sounds hollower, louder and higher pitch, nicer sound than HK.

And... Thanks for the compliments guys...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2008 at 10:30pm
Is the vibration in the handle or the face?
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2008 at 2:26am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

Is the vibration in the handle or the face?

I'm still not quite sure about the distinction between the two. I thought when you hit the ball, the contact with blade (head/face area) will vibrate then the vibration is felt on the handle. Thus when the term vibrate/vibration is used it means that, and not separate vibration between face/head area and handle.

Please clarify.

I just felt noticeable vibration when flat hitting with H3P rubber but less noticeable when looping with the same rubber. Also less noticeable when using Tokyo rubber as well.

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2008 at 2:31pm
More face vibrations come from the rubber blade combination. The handle to face construction can eliminate a lot of vibration to the hand. I hate it.

I weighed a XIOM FUGA ST today. It weighs only 80 gm. It is almost close to the lighter balsa blades.
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 3:17pm
Hi rok, it's been a while you posted this. I want to know how much dwell time does this blade have?
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 11:20pm
i got mine for 87.5 grams. i like myblades heavy. but it doesnt matter how heavy it is. it only matters about the ratio. head : handle
if the head is a heavier ratio it feels much more heavy. i am really enjoying the Fuganator. i used to use acoustic and then i used aria as the top layer of the two blades where the same - limba. the handle was way way way to big for me, so i ordered fuga for 88grams but it can at 87.5. i have o3 euro on both sides and winning games that i shouldnt. i have asked Xiom how much it takes to make the blade, which was stupid, and ofcourse i didnt get a reply. my stadium sells it for 50000 won. i got the fuganator and 2 o3 euros for 106000 won. very very cheap. it feels a bit like the stiga hybrid range. the cpen handle is sold out in korea, and i plan to take around 8 fugas to new zealand to sell it around. i think it would go fast. fuga i would rate 9/10 which is really rare for me, as i change blades and rubbers once every tooooooooo often. i will stick with the fuganator untill i find anithor xiom blade. i have tried every single Xiom rubber and racket. the best combo i say is fuga and 03 Euro. btw, O3 is omega 3. i rated fuga 9 because of the lack of power compared with aria and acoustic. that is why my next blade is going to be the fuganator 90 grams. yes!

btw, dnt buy the novus wood range handle ST. its tooo big, i mean it. FL is big enuf.
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2009 at 11:57pm
dwell time is alright. one certainly could generate spinny loops with it very easily...

i'm not surprise it works well with o3 given how it did with my tokyo 2. i had gotten zeta but haven't gotten around to play it with the xiom blades...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 5:46pm
write me please, how big is different in speed between fuga and acoustic/korbel, TBS.../ in numbers , f.e. acoustic-93 and fuga....

thanks
Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 6:03pm
Excellent review.  I have referenced your review in this thread: "Better feel for ball. Composite or Wood?"  Again, excellent review.
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 11:50pm
thanks jeff... you must be very busy... took you almost a year to notice this post... hehehe... just kidding...

i haven't played with this blade for so long...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
nick911sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick911sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:00am
Hey Rokphish I purchased a Fuga cpen on my trip to Korea after reading your review and pming you alittle about the blade.  I couldn't be happier with it!

ThanksSmile
YEO Cpen

Xiom Fuga Cpen

Xiom Strato Cpen

Dawei Matrix Cpen

Dawei Quattro A+ FL

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:03am
Please forgive me.  I have been busy with school and training.  I have been able to go on the forum over the year and make sure everything is going smoothly, talking to Alex Li about problems, ideas, etc.  But, I will be on more since it's summer. I've set a goal of achieving as USATT rating of 2000 by the end of the year.  Lots of ponging to do.  And I just got a sheet of Boost TP, can't wait to see how it will play.  Maybe I'll buy a Fuga and see how it playsBig%20smile.  
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:09am
hey nick, glad it's working out for you...

jeff, what's your current rating? i posted several other xiom blades: jazz, amadeus, etc... perhaps a quick read through before deciding on which one... hehehe...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:31am
I am currently 1223 and underrated :P.  My last tournament was in January.  I play a power offensive game and I think I should be around 1600-1750.  I will lose to a 1900 player 4-0 but the game scores are usually 11-8, 11-7, 11-9, 11-6.  And I think I will go over those reviews...
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:40pm
Fighting!

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 7:48pm
i've this Xiom Fuga ST (82g), kinda light n the quality is just top notch but all these "prints/paint-job" on both faces r kinda fragile n the glue I used on 1 face sorta messed it up a bit.
On quickie/close look, it's ply-compositions seemed to remind me of those of YEO, DHS WLQ n Bty Chuan. Dunno how it plays tho' but I'd guess it's in the 'hood/class of OFF-, could be not as OFF as, say, PKorbel, OC, OC CR n YEO.
jackass22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackass22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 4:46pm
I have a few questions.
Can you confirm that the speed of  Xiom Fuga is 88? / f.e. : Korbel compared to BTF-92, or TBS-95, Violin-90 or other known some  blade /.
  Is fuga suitable for soft and medium rubbers ?/stiga boost TC, mark V, sriver L...sriver FX.../
It has over standart control ?/as for example donic waldner dotec AR, or Violin/

Thank people
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2009 at 11:37pm
from my review i said the fuga to be about the same as Korbel or even slower...

when i was doing the review i used hurricane provincial 39 degree which is quite hard compared to sriver/mark v... and also used prasidha tokyo which is medium soft... so mark v/sriver and the like shouldn't be a problem...
plenty of control for me even with a very fast rubber (prasidha tokyo) so if suited with slower rubber it should provides more than enough control...

sorry i can't give more detail information because i haven't been playing with this blade for awhile...

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2009 at 1:34am
DHS Hurricane King: koto-spruce-ayous-spruce-koto
DHS Hurricane Hao: koto-spruce-ayous-spruce-koto
Xiom Fuga: koto-spruce-ayous-spruce-koto

Yes your right they are almost the same

http://wwww.Mannypacquiao.ph
http://www.carabaoshirts.com
jhoerene View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhoerene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2009 at 1:42am
Oh by the way I notice that the Butterfly Kong Linghui has the same woods also
Butterfly Kong Ling Hui: koto-spruce-ayous-spruce-koto

Is this comparable also Kong linghui VS HK
http://wwww.Mannypacquiao.ph
http://www.carabaoshirts.com
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2009 at 2:52am
I assume you're referring to klh wood. I have one of the older version before butterfly adding serial numbers on their blades.. I haven't played with it though because i want to sell it in new condition.. I lose interest in it that's why. Peter79 has one and had played with it, you can pm and ask him. If i remember correctly it's not really comparable to hurricane king..

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2009 at 4:34am
Kong Ling Hui Wood has a compact head size. It's designed to matched it with Tackfire Special which is hard and heavy. The feel of KLH wood is soft, not like Hking which is hard. Hking is more powerfull than KLH Wood.
It's designed for 38 mm ball era, not suitable for 40 mm ball. That's why Kong Ling Hui abandon using it.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

golden_gsm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote golden_gsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2009 at 3:12pm
may be it's dhs pg-2 or pg-3,or avalox p-500 the swedish one.
shay2be View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shay2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 9:04am
how is the fuga compared the stradivarious?
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 10:37am
allwood versus composite?

-possibly slower/more control
-more feeling/vibrations
-cheaper lol

I am a total Newb. Come at me!
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2011 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

how is the fuga compared the stradivarious?

I've played with both.

The Fuga is thinner and all wood. It has more flex, more vibration (feel), and is slower than the Stradivarius.

The Stradivarius is thicker, stiffer, with little vibration. It is noticeably faster.

Fuga is better for closer to the table play, but could be fine at mid distance with the right rubbers (and technique Wink).

Stradivarius is definitely easier to play at mid/long distance.

Personally, I don't like composite blades as much as I like all wood. I like a bit of vibration (feedback). I also like the increased control of the Fuga.

Both are excellently crafted blades. It comes down to what you want a blade to do, what rubbers you plan on pairing with it, and what your skill set is.

And as mon22 said, the Fuga is notably cheaper. Smile

Edited by Anton Chigurh - 07/14/2011 at 12:52pm
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic