Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LONG Pips INFooo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LONG Pips INFooo
    Posted: 09/02/2008 at 12:53am

What is a long pimpled rubber?

On the ITTF list of approved rubber sheets, long pimpled rubbers are categorized as those where the aspect ratio of the pimples is more than 0.9. The aspect ratio is arrived at by dividing the length of the pimples by the breadth -- a sheet with pimples of 1.8mm length and 1.7mm diameter will have an aspect ratio of 1.06. To be approved the aspect ratio is not allowed to exceed 1.1. This in effect means that very long and thin pimples are not permitted. Most pimpled rubbers today have a length of between 1.5mm and 1.8mm. On the 2005 ITTF list of Authorized Racket Coverings there are 79 different long pimpled rubbers listed.

The playing characteristics of long pimpled rubbers.

The most deceptive long pimple rubber and the one with most effect is red, hard, without sponge and on a fast blade, so that the ball springs off the blade very quickly. Many players don�t understand that what is happening is that they are in effect getting their own spin back. If they for example put heavy backspin on the ball and the opponent pushes the ball back with the pimples, the return will not have backspin (even though his or her stroke is down and forward) but an element of topspin. A long pimpled rubber with a thicker sponge will usually return the backspin ball as �float�, while the rubber without sponge can send back a ball with considerable topspin.

Once you understand the above then all the rest of the �hype� about long pimples is very much simplified. So-called spin reversal becomes obvious, you play topspin you get back backspin, you push you get back topspin. Whatever the opponent does with his or her racket is largely immaterial. Even the �wobbling� balls are easily explained -- these occur when you play with a none-pure spin, when for example you loop with topspin and sidespin (as most of us do) and you get back a backspin ball with a sidespin �kick�, simply because there are two different axes both trying to assert themselves at the same time. The most important consideration when playing against long pimples is not what the opponent is doing with his or her racket, but what you did with your last stroke.

Another factor that many players and coaches overlook is that power also affects the return ball. The harder you hit the ball with a closed racket, the more spin you create. Thus the harder you hit the ball against long pimples, the more backspin you get back on the return ball. It is often a better tactic to play slower balls or balls without spin to this type of rubber.

Of course there are one or two other aspects to consider � with some long pimples it�s easier to play short or low returns or even initiate some spin. Certain players are able to get much more effect from their pimples than others. The sponge (if used) will also have a considerable impact on what you can do with the rubber. No sponge will have maximum return effect, thin sponge will often have more control (but less effect) and it�s much easier to hit with thicker sponge.

Spin Reversal.

The long pimpled rubbers with the most pronounced anti-spin (or spin reversal) effect are quite hard and the individual pimples feel more like �plastic� rather than rubber. As a result there is absolutely no �grip� on the ball.

Wobbling effect.

The most pronounced effect is usually where the pimples are more widely spaced and less �rubber� comes into contact with the ball. The flexibility of the pimples can also give unusual reactions but of course very soft pimples are easily broken.

Control.

Where long pimples are shorter, wider and more densely packed the control and spin elements will usually be higher. These are of course the reverse characteristics to the more �anti-spin� types of long pimple. A thicker rubber base will also give a slower rebound speed and more control as will a thin layer of sponge. Softer pimples which are more flexible can help in returning balls short on the opponent�s half of the table.

Speed.

We must really define what we are talking about in terms of speed off the racket. Pimples with no sponge will give very quick recoil from the wood of the racket and at times it may be difficult to control hard loops. Pimples with medium or thick sponge will have a slower rebound from the racket and it can be easier to control topspin or even initiate one�s own spin.

Spin.

Some pimples have a ribbed or rough surface and therefore have the capability to produce spin. This is still relatively small when compared to the spin created by reverse or some short pimpled rubbers. Often too the softness of the pimples or sponge or the thickness of the sponge will play a much larger roll in creating spin than the actual surface of the pimples.

Long pimpled rubbers, anti-spin (no friction)

Dr Neubauer Scalpel. 0.0/1.0mm.    new
The new all round weapon for long pimple players. Frictionless surface gives strong spin reversal. Easy to use in blocking, attacking and defensive play. Gives strong wobbling balls when pushing aggressively and rolling as well as when counter-attacking. Above all excellent control. New unique gluing technique between sponge and rubber sheet increases the spin reversal for the version with sponge. The multiple World Champion Herbert Neubauer�s new BH-weapon (red ox).
Speed57/Spin5/Control67

Dr. Neubauer Super Block. 0.0 /1.0 mm.
Almost max length, broad, very densely packed pimples with absolutely frictionless surface. Very good spin reversal. Ideal for receiving serves and close to the table blocking and rolling. Especially good for blocking short. Excellent against players with a powerful topspin attack. The BH-rubber (ox. red) of Herbert Neubauer when he became World Champion in Men�s 60 in Japan in June 2004. The French Cadet champion Marine Zanardi also uses Super Block. Supplied with glue sheet.
Speed55/Spin5/Control66

Dr. Neubauer The Wall. 0.0 / 1.0 mm.
Almost max length, very broad, densely packed pimples with a smooth and frictionless surface. Very good control in all defensive strokes and very good spin reversal against topspin. Supplied with glue sheet. Only in red.
Speed56/Spin10/Control66

Hallmark Super Special. 0.0/1.0mm.    new
Long pimpled rubber with absolutely frictionless surface. Very strong spin reversal when blocking close to the table. Excellent on service receive. Used in the Swedish National Junior Team. Only in red where the spin reversal is strongest.
Speed56/Spin10/Control60

Hallmark Super Special Extra. 0.0/1.0mm.    new
Long pimpled rubber with frictionless surface. The extra broad pimples make Super Special Extra very easy to use especially in attacking and blocking. Good spin reversal. Wobbling balls are produced due to the thin rubber base. For the long pimple player who also wants to attack with the pimples. Only in red.
Speed58/Spin5/Control63

Hallmark Super Defence. 0.0/1.0mm.    new
Long pimpled rubber with frictionless surface. For players who chop away from the table. Very good spin reversal when chopping against topspin. A little bit faster than Super Special.
Speed56/Spin10/Control63

Long pimples rubbers with some friction, all round

Cloud & Fog III. 1.0mm.    new
A new long pimpled rubber from DHS. Broad, long, easily bent pimples for an all round game with a disconcerting effect. Possible to create spin. Super-soft (about H35) sponge.
Speed56/Spin22/Control53

RITC 837. 0.0/0.6/1.0/1.5mm; extra cost 1.8/2.0mm.
Long pimpled rubber with relatively stiff, hard pimples with ribbed surface. Easy to use in offensive play and over the table. Victory in European Championships in singles (offensive) and quarterfinal in the World Championships in singles (0.6mm BH-defence)
Speed60/Spin28/Control60

DHS C7. 0.0/1.0mm.
Very broad pimples for defensive play with mixed attack. One of the long pimpled rubbers which is easiest to use for attacking. Excellent on service receive.
Speed58/Spin20/Control60

Palio CK531A. 0.0/0.5-1.0mm.
Long pimpled rubber with long, thin, soft pimples with a smooth surface. Pimples are densely packed. Gives strong spin reversal against top spin.
Speed55/Spin25/Control56

Long pimpled rubbers with some friction, attack

RITC 755 Faster. 0.8mm.    new
With the experience of the multiple Olympic and World Champion Deng Yaping Friendship has developed a new 755, which is even better for attacking and blocking. A new rubber mixture, slightly broader pimples (and in vertical rows) and the new super-soft ESN-sponge are the most important changes. An interesting new rubber for the season.
Speed65/Spin20/Control60

DHS Fog. 1.0mm.    new
A long pimpled rubber from DHS with thin, widely spaced out pimples which have a disconcerting effect. Easy to use in attacking. Super-soft (about H35) white sponge.
Speed56/Spin35/Control53

JUIC Leggy. 1.0/1.5 mm.
Long pimpled rubber suitable for attack. Possible to play the strokes in the way you would play with a reverse rubber. Soft sponge.
Speed60/Spin38/Control58

Long pimpled rubbers with some friction, defence

DHS C8. 0.0/1.0 mm.
Broad soft, max length pimples with a rather smooth surface. Widely spaced out pimples. Mainly for defence.
Speed45/Spin30/Control45

RITC 755. 0.0/0.5/1.0mm; extra cost 1.5/1.8 mm.
Long pimpled rubber with 1.5mm long soft pimples with a completely smooth surface. Superb control. Anti-spin effect. Mostly used for defensive play but also for attacking play close to the table in order to create openings for the FH. Easy to hit against backspin. Gold in singles in World Championships and in the Olympic Games. Gold in singles in the Veteran European Championships and World Championships.
Speed50/Spin22/Control50

Dawei 388A-4. 2.0/1.8 mm.
White sponge H46-H48. The World Champion�s rubber in Men�s 50 (black 2.2mm white sponge H46-48). Tacky surface in combination with the rather hard sponge gives both good speed and good control. Good for short receiving. A rubber for modern defensive play.
Speed98/Spin98/Control96

Globe 979. 0.0/0.5/1.0 extra cost 1.5/1.8/2.0 mm.
In line with the new ITTF standards the Globe 979 long pimpled rubber has been developed with advanced technology using high quality polymer materials. Almost max length, broad, densely packed pimples. Slightly ribbed pimple surface but very good spin reversal. Mainly for chopping but it�s also easy to play attacking strokes both against float balls and against spin. Efficient for stop-blocking.
Speed70/Spin30/Control70

Hallmark Frustration. 0.0/1.0mm.    new
Long pimpled rubber with slightly sticky surface. For the defensive player who wants to be able to create some spin of his own, but still have the advantages of a long pimpled rubber.
Speed60/Spin40/Control58

Prasidha 1615. 0.0/1.0/1.5 mm extra cost 0.6mm.
Classic long pimple rubber with max length, broad pimples for defensive play, chopping away from the table and stop-blocking close to the table. The No 1 in Hongkong, Lo Chuen Tsung uses 1615 0.0mm on BH.
Speed50/Spin25/Control50

Meteor L 8512. 0.0mm.
Long pimpled rubber. Broad, max length pimples which are widely spaced out. Smooth surface on the pimples for max anti-spin effect. Only in red.
Speed50/Spin22/Control53
Sponsored Links

melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 4:15pm
More info, more knowledge, more games, more wins ... !
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 4:36pm
Nice post, now I'll start praying no one from my club ever reads it

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 5:22pm
Wow, you wrote all this up yourself?

No, of course you didn't - here's the original:
http://www.rowdenscorner.num61.com/Material/The%20guide%20to%20long%20pimples%20by%20Lars%20Borg.htm

It would be easier to just post the link. Or at least give credit to your source.

The frictionless LP are illegal now.
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Wow, you wrote all this up yourself? Did somebody said that I did ? Who was it... ?

No, of course you didn't - here's the original:
http://www.rowdenscorner.num61.com/Material/The%20guide%20to%20long%20pimples%20by%20Lars%20Borg.htm

It would be easier to just post the link. Or at least give credit to your source.

The frictionless LP are illegal now.
I am going to give two credits to source who did write this, not one as you suggested, but two. Did somebody said that I did write this all by my self ? Who was it... ?
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 5:32pm
Well then why did you delete the heading which gives the author's name?
The Guide to Long Pimples Lars Borg

I don't know if you've ever written an essay with quotations for school or college, but it's standard procedure to indicate one's source. Otherwise it's called plagiarism.
liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 6:34pm
And all the first rubbers you mentioned are gonna be banned.
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2008 at 8:18pm
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2008 at 4:54am
nice info man, good work, hey these frictionless r still good for club play
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Juniortt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juniortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2008 at 7:34pm
Hi...
I would like to know what the best pip long for beginner player. I want to use this long pip in my backhand, and I'm a wheelchair player. So I play near of the table. My style is more attck tha defensive.
I hope help....
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2008 at 7:41pm
Friendship 755 or Double Fish 1615
LachlanTan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LachlanTan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2008 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Well then why did you delete the heading which gives the author's name?
The Guide to Long Pimples Lars Borg

I don't know if you've ever written an essay with quotations for school or college, but it's standard procedure to indicate one's source. Otherwise it's called plagiarism.
I don't think that is possible for him to research all that
deva sarjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deva sarjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2008 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Juniortt Juniortt wrote:

Hi...
I would like to know what the best pip long for beginner player. I want to use this long pip in my backhand, and I'm a wheelchair player. So I play near of the table. My style is more attck tha defensive.
I hope help....

ritc 837 Thumbs%20Up
tsp  P3alpha R
Ginko Tai Kim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ginko Tai Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2008 at 6:09am
Thanks for the long pips info....

but yeah it should at least be updated in rubber as some of the rubbers reviewed are already banned...

ginko tai kim

RE-Impact Hydra
Andro Roxon 450 2mm
Giant Dragon Giant Long ox
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic