FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Backhand rubber faster than forehand's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backhand rubber faster than forehand's
    Posted: 01/16/2009 at 3:41pm

Does any one play with a fastest rubber on the backhand than on the forehand?
Sponsored Links

ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 3:44pm
Most people prefer to do that since they get less power on their BH.  Ma Lin, Wang Hao....  all chinese players use Euro/Jap rubber on BH
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 3:49pm
So this might require an extra effort to control the backhand (which is by itself maybe more difficult to control)....

I asked it because I know many (not pro) people using e.g. 2.1 mm or MAX on the fh and 1.8 or 2.0 on the bh.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 5:40pm
schumi, BH is much more controlable than FH. FH dominates with power, BH with control and placement, imho.
The reason why people use 1.8 on their BH side is different. They counter hit, block or chop/slice with BH more then loop. If you were both wings looper, you would use 2.0 and more on both sides.
this is my point of view..
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 6:06pm
Ok, I understand it now...

Thanks for your answers.
Thunder Boult View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunder Boult Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 6:11pm
I play with:
Sriver 1.9mm on FH
Tenergy 1.9mm on BH

I do it because I have very good high toss serves pendulum serves and Sriver is much better for performing them than bouncy or low contact time fast rubbers.

On the BH however I need more power so do use fast stuff.
ppmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 6:24pm
For a lot shakehand players:

- a BH rubber needs to block well. You're just forced to block more with BH.
- If you do loop with BH, the sponge has to be thick enough. If your BH loop is weaker than FH loop, which is the case for most, then the sponge needs to be soft enough for the ball to sink in sufficiently.

schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 6:27pm
And which rubber blocks better, a thicker or a thinner one?
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 6:36pm
great thread idea!

always thought about this, sure the pros do it.  I had f3bs on forehand bryce speed glued on backhand for a long time. 
The exact reason as some say to equalize the power between wings. 
BUT
another perspective is that fast rubbers require a fast stroke to get the potential out.  I still to this day love bryce speed on back hand, but just find that it isnt spinny enough to give me the confidence to go for it on everyshot.  Tehergy however is,  So I attack everything possible, no need to think about it anymore, not only that the spin that it generates is so variable or should i say versatile that it really creates problems for opponents. 

Which rubber blocks better isnt that simple either.  a slow rubber always has more chances to get the ball on the table.  A low spin rubber always is less affected my spin. 

BUT in my opinion the best rubber for spinning is also the best rubber for blocking spin it just requires skill.  Think about it.  If someone loopdrives at you with great speed a low spin set up cannot arc the ball back down to the table, the worst is long pimples, it just sails of the end.

Dead chinese is probably best for blocking, less speed more spin, just got to get your angles right
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2009 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by schumi27 schumi27 wrote:

Does any one play with a fastest rubber on the backhand than on the forehand?

hao shuai, his bh bouncs like hell
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 4:42am
I do.. i do..
I like Chinese Tacky rubbers on my FH, and Japanese/Euro rubbers on the BH.. So my BH is faster than my FH..
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 5:27am
my backhand is my stronger wing, so i use a faster rubber, not neccessarily thicker, but hardness wise its different. 
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 2:44pm

Well I don't do that, but I don't really know if it's the best way to play. I do that but I loop from both wings so I don't really care. I'll try playing with my racket switched, I'll tell about the results...

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 3:38pm
I find Bryce to be an outstanding rubber for both blocking and counterhitting off the bounce, two tasks I frequently perform on the BH. Gives me good chances to pressure or sometimes finish. You know exactly what to expect with Bryce. Of course it has other nice offensive capabilities and is fitting for a lot of players' FH. Right now I like a medium soft sponge half-tacky Chinese rubber on FH.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 4:21pm
I like slower rubbers on backhand, because I want more control.
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2009 at 4:42pm
I think it would apply mostly in the glue era, as chinese rubber gets faster when glued up. Now that the speed glue has been banned. The chinese players have started to tune instead of gluing, to keep that speed up and spin up. Without glue or boosters, I think switching to a faster forehand OR practicing arm speed would be the solution. I guess...
W0LovePP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W0LovePP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2012 at 12:38pm
I have been thinking about this. I came across this thread just by searching. So it is not a new idea.

I like to put a faster rubber on my bh. I even think that if a faster bh rubber still does not do the job (still too slow or not powerful enough), people should use the faster side as bh for a blade with a faster side and a slower side (like some Stiga blades).
flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2012 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by dragon kid dragon kid wrote:

I do.. i do..
I like Chinese Tacky rubbers on my FH, and Japanese/Euro rubbers on the BH.. So my BH is faster than my FH...

+1...Most chinese top player does the same...but it is also a matter of style...on bh i preffer 2,0 max because I need control...but i allways use faster rubbers because bh stroke it's more about rist and with a medium/slow rubber it's harder to generate speed(you can drive a pretty fast rubber with good control or you can miss easily with a medium/slow rubber with poor control)...I am sure that this thing has been shown allready on this forum...fh move it's a long one...bh move it's shorter one...
In theory my bh it's faster than my fh but in real game fh it's the killer and the rubber on the bh it's faster only to compensate the little lack of power...
Viscaria, FL

T05 hard, 2,1 mm, black, fh
T05 hard, 2,1 mm, red, bh.
SeeReed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeeReed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2012 at 1:38pm
I use fast rubber on BH because I have more control on my BH. I can do different shots with speed where sometime FH are not able to do. BTW I play shakehand. AS for the thickness of rubber, I use max both FH and BH.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic