Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly "French Style" blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly "French Style" blade
    Posted: 01/20/2009 at 8:34pm
Does anyone know anything about the old Butterfly "French Style" blade?  I got some old blades from a friend, and this is one of them.  Weight is 104g, and the size is oversize like a defensive blade.  The handle is also like many def. blades with the flat top and bottom surfaces.  The handle has a gold butterfly sticker on the end, with "FRENCH STYLE" branded on one side and some sort of signature branded on the other.

This one has to date back to the '70s i think, and if anyone has used it or knows anything about it, like who's weird looking signature is on the handle, I'd appreciate it.  I think its a pretty cool looking blade.

I took some pictures and uploaded them at the link below!

http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc28/mdjenders/french%20style%20blade/
Sponsored Links

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 2:06am
How does it play? Is it defensive or allround?
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2009 at 2:40am
The blade looks very nice. Is it all wood? How does it play?
andyntt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2012 at 10:40pm
Hi,

Do you still have this blade?  Is it for sale?  I used to have the same blade 37 years ago.

Thanks,

Andy
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2012 at 11:28pm
I have this blade, i would say it's an ALL-

*damit, i replied to a 3 year old post* Ouch 

Edited by The Shakehander - 01/16/2012 at 12:07am
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2012 at 12:30am
Man that's going back a long time ago (early 70's). BTY also offered the "Sweden Style" ( had holes bored through the handle and the "American Style" ( conic handle). Those blades I believe where made from basswood and would be in the ALL class. Rather heavy blades but are highly collectable for players seeking vintage blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

andyntt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2012 at 6:30pm
Hi Shakehander,

Thanks for your post, please let me know where I can buy the same blade.

Thanks again,

Andy
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by andyntt andyntt wrote:

Hi Shakehander,

Thanks for your post, please let me know where I can buy the same blade.

Thanks again,

Andy

Andy, unless Butterfly has supply somewhere as they've been discontinued for well over 20+ years, eBay is your best bet.

There are also a few custom blade makers on this forum, you might want to contact to have one made for you.

*BladesByCharlie.com
*Ross Leidy
*Makepaddle
*TT-Piet
*Re-Impact
*americanhinoki
*ULMO blades

Edited by The Shakehander - 01/16/2012 at 7:51pm
lynnd1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynnd1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 11:07am
I have one like in the picture above in pretty darn good condition if you are interested...let me know.

Edited by lynnd1984 - 05/01/2012 at 11:09am
andyntt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyntt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2012 at 3:13pm
Hi Lynn,

Yes, I am interested.

Thanks,
Andy
PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2012 at 6:24am
The signature on the handle of the BTY French style blade is from the Vietnamese legendary player Mai Van Hoa. One of the great chopper at the time. The blade is designed for defensive chopping style. You can find more of Mai Van Hoa's achievement from the following link.
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_stats/All_events3.asp?ID=4444
BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
lynnd1984 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynnd1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 2:06pm
Thanks for the info, PPT.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2012 at 11:16pm
A guy showed up at our club the other day with a Bttfly blade from the same era called "Swedish Style".  Had never seen one before.  I glued some new rubbers on for him.  The thing was really slow!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic