Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Forum search, made easier?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum search, made easier?
    Posted: 02/21/2009 at 8:25pm
I know a lot of you have complained about 'forum search' not working too well, and sometimes produced errors. The search function in the forums is integral to the software, and will be very hard for admins to improve IMO.
I've  mentioned using Google instead, but you need to type in quite a few terms to get it to just search the forum...

Since I use the search a lot myself, and have the same troubles, I decided to make a little custom Google search engine, that allows you to just search the forums or other TT sites and not any other sites, and allow you to use all the powerful search options that Google offers.

This seems to work quite well for me, so I've setup a little site for others to use as well, link below:

Table tennis search site

I've only put in the major forums and reviews sites so far, but can add any others on request.

If you try it, let me know if you find it useful or not. If people find it useful, I'll start adding other options/catagories as well. Any suggestions for ways of improvement/additions would be great as well...
Blade: Re-Impact Smart | Rubbers: Victas VS > 401 / Dtecs OX
OOAK TT Shop | My TT Articles
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 12:47am
Thanks. A suggestion I could make is to make a single forum search option. I know it's useless since other forums have their forums have search options but yours is more organized and simple.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 2:04am
Thanks Ritkuro, well worth considering!

varghesep: I though my post above answered this already?:
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I've only put in the major forums and reviews sites so far, but can add any others on request.

It's only a quick website I put together, and if people are interested I'll add a lot more sites included in the search, and also more features. If there is no interest, I won't bother...
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 3:05am

thanks haggis ,please add more sites

blade:donic defplay senso fh/tenergy 05 fx 1.9 ,feint 3 0,5

enevol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enevol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 8:16am
This is great! I hope you'll find the time to advance this project. Thanks..
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 9:25am
Nice job haggisv, thanks!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 9:49am

Thanks Ritkuro, well worth considering!

varghesep: I though my post above answered this already?:

It's only a quick website I put together, and if people are interested I'll add a lot more sites included in the search, and also more features. If there is no interest, I won't bother...

There is a sticky section on this forum where it has a list of forums and review sites. They are all "major" Wink and being used by the tt communities.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 5:47pm
varghesep: <sigh> Yes of course I'm aware of this, and I'll be sure to add to add your own "major" site to the list... can we get back on track please? <sigh>

firetack, enevol, Johnny89atc: Thanks guys, I'll add some more features and sites...

Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 6:23pm
This is kind of off topic but i felt it would be a good idea.

I think we should add a feature to when you are posting a new topic. Every new poster is scolded to use the search function because of double posting and my idea is this. Every time a new topic is made it is first put through a search to look for matches in the title and body paragraphs to avoid double posting. No more double posts or scolding
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 6:53pm

varghesep: <sigh> Yes of course I'm aware of this, and I'll be sure to add to add your own "major" site to the list... can we get back on track please? <sigh>

firetack, enevol, Johnny89atc: Thanks guys, I'll add some more features and sites...

You made my day Wink.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

I think we should add a feature to when you are posting a new topic. Every new poster is scolded to use the search function because of double posting and my idea is this. Every time a new topic is made it is first put through a search to look for matches in the title and body paragraphs to avoid double posting. No more double posts or scolding

That is a good idea. But I dont think Haggisv can do that on the search site.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 11:42pm
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

Yes, a good concept, but admin would have to look into this and change the forum software... I certainly can't do myself and it's not a trivial task...
Lutareio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lutareio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2009 at 8:33pm
This is awesome! Great job haggisv!
Forehand: Sriver
Backhand: Sriver Fx
Blade: VSG21-1000 Fl
Rating: 694 Canadian
Club Prestige
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/23/2009 at 10:17pm
Thanks guys! Since you seem quite positive on this little site, I'll add more sites and features in the next few days... I'll also implement a single site search.

Any suggestions on what else we can add, are most welcome!
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2009 at 6:12am
OK, single site search now implemented.

Next:
- Add more forums & review sites
- include All TT sites search
- ???
BobTheBuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobTheBuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2009 at 2:09am
i definitely appreciate your work here haggis. i've always dreaded searching things up on this forum for fear of taking too long only to get an error.

thanks!
Yasaka Extra Offensive C-Pen
FH: TG2 Neo Black
BH: Focus III Snipe Red
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 3:39am
Forum search is not working at all for me. Any complex (more than 2 words) query results in DB error. ;(
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Forum search is not working at all for me. Any complex (more than 2 words) query results in DB error. ;(

Have you tried the search posted at the start of this thread?
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2009 at 9:38am
No, I mean the asp search page. Request cannot be processed. Timeout.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2009 at 9:50pm
yes that is a common problem... forum searches take up a lot of server resources, so at busy times it will time out.
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2009 at 1:42am
Probably you could optimize the SQL config file to allow more concurrent queries or larger timeout. I could help with some suggestions if this were MySQL but it obviously is not. Probably there are pros tah will help better with this issue. It is indeed very inconvenient to search Google for something that is on your board.

Or you should probably consider the possibility of DB migration.

I am sure there are CS geeks that will be more than happy to help out.
quakerroatmeal View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quakerroatmeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 5:09am
What about changing the forum to using vBulletin instead? They seem to be very popular, user friendly and great interface. Some other forums I go on use them and they seem to be good. 
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 6:30am
Biggest problem with the google search is that it also includes the signature info as well. So searching for equipment is almost impossible. You type in tenergy and you get tens of thousands of results because you get every post every person with tenergy in their signature has ever made.
Dafydd393 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dafydd393 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Biggest problem with the google search is that it also includes the signature info as well. So searching for equipment is almost impossible. You type in tenergy and you get tens of thousands of results because you get every post every person with tenergy in their signature has ever made.

+1.
Blade - Ma Lin Extra Offensive FL
Fh - Boost TC 2.0mm
Bh - Boost TC 2.0mm
piligrim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:02am
how to use google search if I want to search only in Buy and Sell section for example?
Viscaria
FH,BH: Joola MAXXX 450
zeio View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:28am
Use the "site:" operator in your search query

For example, to look up "boll zlc" in the Buy and Sell section, use the following

boll zlc site:http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16

Edited by zeio - 09/27/2012 at 7:29am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
piligrim View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Use the "site:" operator in your search query

For example, to look up "boll zlc" in the Buy and Sell section, use the following

boll zlc site:http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=16

thank you
Viscaria
FH,BH: Joola MAXXX 450
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 2:23am
Does anyone still use this site? If not I'll probably take it down.
Imago View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 3:12am

Does anyone still use this site? If not I'll probably take it down.

I'd rather fake it up Thumbs Up
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2013 at 3:27am
yes, its still being used
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR & NEXY.

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Counductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic