Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

All wood Modern defense blade recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All wood Modern defense blade recommendations?
    Posted: 03/04/2009 at 12:49pm
Hello,

Any recommendations on all wood - modern defense blade with good feel. I'm currently using the TSP Yanghi Alpha. I like it - wanted to know if there are others that give you better feel and more speed.

Tried the Chen Weixing blade (not all wood) - didn't like it as much as the all wood blade.

Tried Dr.N Barricade - fantastic - but way too slow for modern defense.

Was thinking about the Darker 7p-2A DF blade - but read on Varghese website - it's not recommended for chopping.

Any feed back much appreciated
Thanks
JRS
ippoN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ippoN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 1:10pm
I can suggest the BTY Def I and II, Joo Se Hyuk and the custom made Diode blades. Very good feeling, fast but very good control, deliver good spin. Oh and by the way the Joo is much better with the whitish outer layer. There is one with a bit orange look which is not that good.
The Def I and II are the lighter ones and the Joo and Diode heavier.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 1:14pm
is there a nice reliable and cheap blade good for the modern defensive game out there?
Defplay Senso ST
Vega Pro 2.0
P1-r 0.5mm
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 1:43pm
For the soft feel, your best bet would be TSP BalsaFiber series like 3.5. It has layers of fiber though.

The Dr.Neubauer high end balsa blades are soft and have good feel. But they are little fast. If you can spend like $180, they may satisfy you in feel.

The Butterfly Defense II is soft. I've heard Butterfly is not going to produce that blade anymore. That is a very likable blade.

varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

is there a nice reliable and cheap blade good for the modern defensive game out there?

The TSP brand excels in its defensive products. The cheapest one you can find is TSP Yanagi. The TSP Balsa is around $80.

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 7:16pm
The Donic Defplay Senso is really nice! Maybe a bit slow, but great feeling!

Or you could go with something like BTY Petr Korbel (like Gionis)
Blade: Nexy Hannibal ST
Rubbers: Tenergy 64 2.1
www.eikerbtk.no
My FS post now with pics!
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2009 at 7:32pm
Try the Valor American Chopper. It's great with Tenergy 1.7mm and long pips. Will also work with 802-40 short pips in 1.8mm, Sriver 1.7, and most Chinese attacking rubbers in the 1.9 - 2.0mm range.
A handmade blade for today's style of defensive play.
CHEERS!
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor prototype FH-Apollo II & BH-Neptune LPs

www.valortabletennis.com
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2009 at 2:46am
the yanagi blade is willow which is not so good for topspin.better for attack with good chopping capability is defplay senso,primorac off- also fits the bill
blade:donic defplay senso fh/tenergy 05 fx 1.9 ,feint 3 0,5

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2009 at 11:00am
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Guess it's time to do some more research.

Regards
JRS
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 4:15am

At 22 bucks a piece, you might try the LKT Toxic3 or Toxic5

If you're willing to spend a little more, I've noticed Cole's description of the Galaxy LQ-1 or LQ-2 ($49 and $45, respectively) includes this testimony: "The quality of crafstmanship and materials used in the LQ blades are second no other all wood blades I've ever seen."

All four blades can be found here: http://www.colestt.com/woodblades.php
Maxxx 400 - IF ZLC ST - Maxxx 400
the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2009 at 4:17am
Originally posted by varghesep varghesep wrote:

The TSP brand excels in its defensive products. The cheapest one you can find is TSP Yanagi. The TSP Balsa is around $80.

The blade you're recommending is probably a good blade; but I don't know anyone who thinks 80 dollars for a blade falls under "cheap"... maybe I'm wrong?
Maxxx 400 - IF ZLC ST - Maxxx 400
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic