Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Timo Boll ZLF - The Verdict

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New Timo Boll ZLF - The Verdict
    Posted: 03/20/2009 at 12:34pm
Tuesday I received my Timo Boll ZLF FL. I paid 105 Euros which I think is not a bad deal at all. It weighs 81 grams, and is DEAD SEXY. The construction is just plain awesome.

I put Tenergy 05 2.1 on the FH and Tenergy 64 2.1 on the backhand.

Keep in mind I am coming from a mizutani.

Speed - Mizutani is definitely faster, the ZLF is slower than the ratings suggest. But it still takes a serious ego to claim that it is "too slow". It is definitely fast enough.

Control - Really good control. Better control than mizutani.

Feel - Feels a lot different. It vibrates a whole lot more, but it is nice. Blocking with this blade is REALLY good compared to mizutani. Especially with 64 on the bh, I can block in my sleep.

It can create some pretty good spin because of the dwell time.

Is it worth what butterfly charges in America? No. It is a good blade, but nothing really seperates it from some other blades out there. I think the whole zylon thing is kind of a gimmic. I don't think it really does anything.

Do I feel cheated? No. I didn't pay the $199 they want in America, and I would never. It is still a really good blade no doubt and will remain my main set up. Paired with tenergy, both 05 and 64, it is a spinning machine. It is fast enough to kill the ball when I need to, but controlled enough that I can keep the ball on the table.

I would recommend this blade to people for sure! I love how light and thin it is, yet still has substantial power.

I can take some pics of my set up if anybody wants. I don't really see the point though as you know what it looks like...but I guess people like seeing pictures that aren't the manufacturers.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Sponsored Links

miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 12:41pm
Do you personally feel the overall performance of ZLF is better then Mizutani?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 12:48pm
Certain aspects of it. Control is better, it can create spinnier loops.

Mizutani is still a good blade though. Lower throw is better for drives and over all speed. ZL carbon and the just plain ZL(zylon) have very different feels.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:04pm
Thanks for the review. As I remember, you've used a Photino. How does it compare to that?

Also, can you compare it to a ALC or TBS?

Thanks
le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:06pm
nice weight...the butterflyonline says its supposed to have around 86g and yours is 5 whole grams lighter than the average..
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:15pm
How does it compare to the photino? Thickness also.
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
schumi27 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schumi27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:19pm

Thanks for the review Thumbs%20Up
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:47pm
It's much different than the photino. Photino is like 7mm thick, this is only 5.4mm. It's very thin. I personally like this a lot better. Photino just felt to big and bulky. I have more confidence to swing away with the ZLF. Photino feels a lot different. The hinoki gives it a much different feel and it is a lot faster. ZLF feels more solid, and gives better feedback.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 1:48pm
Another note, My backhand has never been so deadly now that I have T64 on the back. I'm very happy with it. It is pretty much exactly as I expected it to be.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 2:24pm
I can't wait to get my hands on it.  Mine is on the way... Big%20smile
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 2:26pm
What are you expecting and what blade are you coming from? I can probably help you decide whether it's for you or not.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2009 at 11:36pm
Another session tonight. This blade is the best blocking blade in the world. T64 is also amazing at blocking.

I'm loving this combo more and more every minute I play with it.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2009 at 12:06am
seems very promising, does it has a woody feel? is it hard or medium feel?
Malin Carbon which is a carbon blades surprisingly has more woody feel than acoustic which is all wood blade.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

liXiao View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liXiao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2009 at 12:17am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Another session tonight. This blade is the best blocking blade in the world. T64 is also amazing at blocking.

I'm loving this combo more and more every minute I play with it.

Play withh Butterfly, you will get the best
Gewo Aruna Hinoki Carbon
Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 53 SuperSelect
Yinhe Qing
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 2:22am
Do you think the ZLF has more,less or similar dwell time compared to the Photino?
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 5:39am

Lildude very cool, love the review and it sounds dam hot.  Your the first person apart from myself that refers to a setup as sexy.

Anyway I'm super jealous that your blade is 81g, I wish my alc was that weight or less!

If I knew I could get it at that weight I would have rethought.  Anyway I still love my alc, in particular with long pimples on one side.  Because it isnt to fast and yet a bit harder so gives spin reversal but doesnt float off the end of the table that fast carbon does.

I know that vibration you talk of, I noticed that with my amultart, I called it reverb, a kind fine vibration unlike a badly made bat vibration which is inconstant.

I keep trying to go back to 05 on my backhand and love it but then when retry the 64 again it feels like a breath of fresh air and has a nice clack in punch drive mode..

hope you use your new setup with health

co zdravje da ci go sluzis

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 12:36am
Yur new setup sounds cool and you certainly like it. You did well. Way better than most of us who try out 25 things before we discover what we like. You had better like it for the price. 100 Teuros ( yeah, I spelled it right. You old school Germans who are accustomed to Deutschmarks will know that term well :) ) Then another 100 smackeroos for the rubbers. We'll you are happy and stil at a lower cost than I lot of us went through before we settled on our favorites.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 1:18am
all of this hype i kinda wish i bought the ZLF instead of my photino :(
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 1:43am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

seems very promising, does it has a woody feel? is it hard or medium feel?Malin Carbon which is a carbon blades surprisingly has more woody feel than acoustic which is all wood blade.

How do you like the Roxon 450 on your Ma Lin Carbon? I have a MLC myself (penhold), and still not settled on the backhand rubber.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 4:21am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

seems very promising, does it has a woody feel? is it hard or medium feel?Malin Carbon which is a carbon blades surprisingly has more woody feel than acoustic which is all wood blade.

How do you like the Roxon 450 on your Ma Lin Carbon? I have a MLC myself (penhold), and still not settled on the backhand rubber.

Roxon 450 doesn't feel to soft or hard on MLC.
If you like harder rubber you may try Zeta.

Between Roxon 450 and Zeta:
Durability Zeta>Roxon 450
Spin Zeta>Roxon 450
Speed Roxon 450>Zeta

Zeta is cheaper, it's a very good BH rubber than Roxon 450.
After loosing the grip of my Roxon, I put parrafin oil on the top sheet of roxon 450, soon after put some liquid soap on it.
I wipe until the buble comes out, after that I rinse it with water.

The topsheet amazingly becomes grippy again Big%20smile
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 2:54pm
Since the the ZLF and Photino both use ZLF, the difference can only be the thickness and the wood(what does the Photino use anyway?).  
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 4:41pm
No tabl10s, they are completely different. They are made of different wood, completely different feel. Not at all the same.

Photino uses hinoki outer plies by the way.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 6:32pm
What wood does the ZLF use?
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 12:42am
how is hitting and smashing with the zlf compared to mizutani

is the zlf hard enough or versatile enough to be a hitters blade ?....or would you recommended for heavy loopers only

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 12:51am
eh, it probably doesn't have enough speed for hitting. I'd probably go with the zlc for hitting. The zlf excels at looping for sure.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 1:28am
well what if i said TBS was hard enough for hitting and looping.....would you say zlf is softer and slower than TBS?......or can you comment on that?

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 11:17am
Originally posted by pokerpete pokerpete wrote:

well what if i said TBS was hard enough for hitting and looping.....would you say zlf is softer and slower than TBS?......or can you comment on that?

This is the comparison I've been waiting for since those new blades were released.

Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 2:24am
Originally posted by pokerpete pokerpete wrote:

No, ZLF isn't necessarily softer and certainly not slower than TBS. The feel is somewhat similar but ZLF loops better. ZLF also is certainly lighter.

Whether you can hit with it or not really depends on what you are used to. I recently moved to ZLF from Schlager Carbon and not a single flat hit went to the other side my first day of playing matches with the new blade. Only one thing came to my mind that night - hitting with ZLF sucksCry. But I do understand that my experience that night was compounded because of my old set up that was pretty much "a hitter's paradise."

But looping, blocking, pushing are all so much better that I can't complain.

Switching to ZLF eventually changed my game. I have started to put a lot more spin on balls that I would have invariably attempted a "flat hit" with my Schlager Carbon. The result is that a lot more balls are going in compared my old set up. Net-net I am happier and one of my Schlager Carbon blades will go up for sale pretty soon.

BTW, the biggest difference in my game after moving to ZLF is that my backhand loops have become way more consistent.
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 2:34am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Tuesday I received my Timo Boll ZLF FL. I paid 105 Euros which I think is not a bad deal at all. It weighs 81 grams, and is DEAD SEXY. The construction is just plain awesome.

Absolutely agree with that statement. Yes, it sure is sexy. BTW, mine weighed 83 gms. And I paid $153.50 (14900 Yen with shipping charges) from Iruiru. It is still a good $50 less compared to what it would cost me here in the US. More importantly, I wanted the blade in ST handle that was not available anywhere in the US.

By the way, where did you buy it from?
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 4:13pm
I played with the very same setup (ZLF + 05 + 64) today. I bought the ZLF used, 80 gr. I do agree with lildudejds, it's a great combo. ZLF is stiff but softish with some vibrations. I'll try 64 on both sides.

Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic