FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

729-08 reviews here please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nutriment6464 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 729-08 reviews here please!
    Posted: 03/21/2009 at 2:54pm
I know I'm always asking for reviews, but that's because I am somewhat able to control my EJ virus(wow!). I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one wanting more reviews of it also! SO I'd like to have more details concerning its spin, its hardness and on what blade you were using the rubber. Would a med hardness wood blade be ok for it? Or would a softer/harder suits more?

Thanks for answering guys, also, if you could make some comparisons with other rubbers you've tried, it would be helpful thanks!.
Sponsored Links

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2009 at 10:56pm
bump ! :S
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 9:16am
everybody is asking but none gives answer. I was fed up with the situation around 729.8 so I made an order. 20USD for chinese rubber is quite a lot but still - if you are so curious, buy it, try it.
I will have mine this week. Im gonna write something, some day.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 9:32am
I was reading on a Chinese forum  that 729's  45 hardness was like DHS Hurricane 3 hardness of 40.   And that the 08 was more forgiving than Blue Whale 2, which someone else mentioned on here....rokphish i believe.

I also lowered price on 1 each new of red and black sheets of the 08 in the for sale section if someone wants them.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 9:56pm
thanks for the replies guys. The thing about the hardness is very helpful though, anyone can confirm this?
danhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2009 at 10:12pm
    I just tried the 729-8. It's much tackier than the 5 maybe a little softer, felt like the same hardness as H3 blue sponge.  Mine is not tuned despite "Pre-tune" on the package( i didn't expect it to be tuned).  729-5 is  significantly faster. If you like hurricane 2 or 3 you'll prefer 8 over 5 although it's not really better than hurricane unless you glue it so what's the point? It does feel like a quality rubber though. 
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 12:17am
my 08 47 degree feels harder than my h3p 40.... not as tacky. faster.

I found out the 729-08 comes in two versions. one is the one which said Strongly Bounce or something... The other, I forgot. I'll have another look later at the magazine at home...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
loosegrip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loosegrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 9:03am
I switched from lkt xt to 729-08. I found 08 to have about equal tackiness and more speed, a high throw and excellent control. The sponge is slightly harder than xp.  I am happy with it for close in spin loops and mid-distance spin. The short game is good, chopping is not as easy as with xt. It is a good match for my joola fever, (carbon med-stiff).
joola fever
many rubbers
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 9:19am
I know for sure it comes in 45,47, and 49 degree hardness. 

I dont know which hardness Zero Pong has it in...but their package is different than what I got direct from a authorized 729 seller in China.  Zero Pongs calls their version  "Pre Tune".  Their package looks slightly different than mine with the 2 logos under the rating #'s at the top area.  My sheets are Black 49 hardness and Red 45 hardness, both with the same DHS orange colored sponge.

Zero Pongs pic  

Package I have

Trottski View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trottski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2009 at 9:30am
Top sheet is tackier than Blue Whale and it generates a fair amount of spin, however it is still a slow rubber (even on an Amultart or New Boll T5000)
squiggle View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squiggle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 1:35am
Originally posted by rokphish rokphish wrote:

my 08 47 degree feels harder than my h3p 40.... not as tacky. faster.

I found out the 729-08 comes in two versions. one is the one which said Strongly Bounce or something... The other, I forgot. I'll have another look later at the magazine at home...

Strongly Froward and Strongly Bounce in case someone doesn't pick it up from the pictures.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 9:47am
I got "strongly forward" version today. The sponge is marked 49degree, but I dont quite agree...
The scale showed me 68grams. I would like to know the difference of the rubber between strongly forward and bounce versions. Imho there was just mistake in retail department or something...
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 10:55am
tomas.gt.....  i think what we are seeing here is simply 2 different packages.  One is for export, and the other is for China sales only.  My package came from a Chinese seller.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 4:49pm
Do you think -08 would work better on all-wood bade? Stiff blade? soft blade? Or my OC?
xavier7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xavier7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 6:30pm
I just changed to 729 08 for >1 month now, using AVX J-aramid carbon blade. The looping arc can be high if executed especially from mid table. For short game it is quite good. I found it  effective in BH flick.

IMHO,however, the combination of the blade and this rubber (47 degree and 2.15mm) is a little too fast to me. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 9:54pm
were you using it for the bh?? did u try for the fh??
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 11:27pm
i kept forgetting to take the picture of the magazine where it shows two DIFFERENT packagings, not just the wording of Forward/Bounce...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
xavier7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xavier7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/24/2009 at 11:58pm
FH I looped at mid table and there was high arc, nicely to one corner.

Bh I flicked and quite easy to put the ball where I wanted.

However I found it is not maneuverable in fast games. May due to my standard of play or the blade which is also a fast one and thus uneasy to control.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 1:32am

Liu shiwen is using whale now
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 8:21am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

so what?
TI dont need  to use the same equipment  as the pros do.
If Liu shiwen uses whale instead of 729-8, this does not mean that whale is better for me.
Liu shiwen would beat me with hardbat, anyway.

because of the hardness of my sheet (49 written, 45-46 real - imho) I am going to put it on allwood rather flexible blade, in my case lighter softer and more flexible violin of my two violins. I guess It could work with stiga OC well. If it sucks on violin,  I might try it on korbel... or something else.

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by tomas.gt tomas.gt wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

so what?
TI dont need  to use the same equipment  as the pros do.
If Liu shiwen uses whale instead of 729-8, this does not mean that whale is better for me.
Liu shiwen would beat me with hardbat, anyway.

because of the hardness of my sheet (49 written, 45-46 real - imho) I am going to put it on allwood rather flexible blade, in my case lighter softer and more flexible violin of my two violins. I guess It could work with stiga OC well. If it sucks on violin,  I might try it on korbel... or something else.

maybe you dont care but some people might want to know
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/25/2009 at 9:22pm
Do you think it'll be slow untuned on my OC? Should I pick a thin carbon blade with lots of flex for the 08?
onion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2009 at 12:54pm
I use 729-08 on my 2 blade, Ishion and Mizutani Jun.  08 plays better on Ishion but not on Mizutani.  It really take time to get used to for 08.  It has a lot of spin on Ishion and the speed is good too.  No luck on Mizutani.  For the price, 08 is worth for it.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2009 at 7:57pm

Thanks guys!

Open to more opinions! Currently need to know if this paired with another chinese rubber would be good on OC, or simlar blades like w-6 or m-6. If not, would It suit Galaxy K-series?

THanks for answering guys!
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 8:25am
Finally the review comes.

I got 729-08 at 49deg. and with the label "strongly forward". Black sheet, 70grams uncut.
For gluing it on my nittaku violin I used water based donic vario clean glue.
The topsheet is quite sticky, it is able to hold the ball for a while when new. After cleaning it can still pick the ball, but only for a short time. Topsheet is not as thick as the other 729 topsheets usually are. The orange sponge feels hard to me.
My first impressions from the play:
knocking in - slow. Damn 729, it is slow again. It flew from my racket at rather high arc when knocking in FH to FH. I started to hit the ball harder and trajectory changed  - lowered. That was quite confusing, soft hit=high throw, harder hit=low throw. It led to unforced errors at the beggining. However on the second training it was OK.
Looping was surprise. To be honest I have expected rather low throw rubber. But this rubber has high (long) trajectory. No way as low as dhs H2 or dawei inspirit. It is quite easy to loop over and over again at slow lower speed. When looping I felt control, real control over it.
But still I couldnt manage to pull out strong forward and agressive loop or loopkill like it is possible with H2.
Serving is amazing. This rubbers has lot of spin possibilities. CHoping is possible as well.
Driving the ball, flat hitting, to spin the ball - the rubber can do it.
The worst thing about 729-08 is to block with. I would say every passive stroke is a weakness.

After a week I realized that there is huge difference in playing characteristics according to the usage of the sponge. When hitting softly or brush looping, it is slow, produces high throw. The topsheet produces slow shots and high trajectory over the net. When hard sponge comes to play, everything is faster and flatter. As the sponge is hard, it needs an extra power to force it to produce this speed and low trajectory. I needed some time to adjust.
The bad thing still remains - blocking. To block a topspin ball at the table, it is acceptable. Incoming spin helps to put it over the net. To block no spin or only small amount of topspin - when the opponent is smashing or driving - it is pain. I need to add forward movement in order to place it over the net. Sometimes, when I am in stress and bad position - surprised by the opponent - I dont have time for this forward movement. So passive strokes - not good.

My the most favourite 729 rubber is, probably, glued higher 3. Speedgluing is forbidden now so I was searching for something...anything ;)
Now I feel 729-08 has everything I need. It could be my fulfilled dream to have higher topsheet on hard sponge. For looping it plays like higher. The hard orange sponge enables to smash and drive better than higher. The tackiness makes the blocks worse than with higher, but makes services bettter than higher.

I keep going on with 729-08 on my FH on nittaku violin, together with dawei IQ on my BH.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 2:30pm
GREAT review tomas!  I also posted on this thread a while back but my response seems to have been lost?  I agree with everything above.  Passive play is a little dicey with this rubber; much less so than blue whale II however.  But playing passively, blocking you run the risk of putting the ball off the table.  Getting the most out of this rubber on loops requires a significant drive component to the stroke - you can brush and get lots of spin, but it won't be fast.  It's a chinese rubber so there's no surprise there but some tacky rubbers are more "neutral" in this respect.

Service is indeed excellent!  Topsheet is soft and springy.

Excellent rubber!
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutriment6464 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2009 at 10:16pm
Is it THAT slow? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I still don't know if I should glue it on a fast composite blade or a 7-ply(maybe even 5) all-wood blade...
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2009 at 1:32am
Originally posted by xavier7 xavier7 wrote:

I just changed to 729 08 for >1 month now, using AVX J-aramid carbon blade. The looping arc can be high if executed especially from mid table. For short game it is quite good. I found it  effective in BH flick.

IMHO,however, the combination of the blade and this rubber (47 degree and 2.15mm) is a little too fast to me. 

what do you think about j aramid blade?
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2009 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Nutriment6464 Nutriment6464 wrote:

Is it THAT slow? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive but I still don't know if I should glue it on a fast composite blade or a 7-ply(maybe even 5) all-wood blade...

I think 729 rating (11 for speed) is right. But hard sponge gives you enough power when needed. You should try it on every blade you have ;)
FYI I expect this rubber to become faster as the topsheet wears down. After 1 month it could be fast enough.

Saiful_Andro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saiful_Andro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2009 at 12:21am
I am not professional player, i wish to share my opinion on 729-08 (Strongly Forward).

I found it good on Andro Light super core, may be it good to replusive kind of blade. Chineese rubber playing normally known " kick & Speed" and already tacky to create spin.

I feel more modern play can be created by using bouncy blade. Easy for topsin, looping, flick and underspin push. For close table, i vote 9/10 for bouncy blade at speed 9 as butterfly rating or andro.

Good at only one point to Timo Boll Spirit blade ..... long looping with slow long arm movement.

Topspin lover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic