FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy 64 - The experts review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 64 - The experts review
    Posted: 03/31/2009 at 12:31am
So we have been reading all the multiple reviews of Butterfly's Tenergy series in all the forums and we have heard about T64 which is supposed to be the drivers rubber and the fastest of the series yaddah yaddah yaah yaah.
So we combed the far corners of the earth for a couple of sheets of the holy grail of TT , from Iru to Dandoy to Teesports in the Uk to Megaspin to Butterfly USA. Everywhere we searched, the answer was the same "No T64 available, maybe next month maybe next month"
Whoever are the owners of Butterfly in Japan they must be rolling in the dollars and thanking thier lucky stars they were able to get speedglue banned. The demand for this stuff is amazing, where can I buy some of that Tamasu stock again?
So finally I got my sheets from Butterfly USA and I cut the somewhat lighter than T05 sheet to my trusted Gergely blade.
The sheet with 2.1 sponge looked somewhat a little thinner than 4mm total and it definitley made my setup overall lighter than before.
The topsheet feels softer than T05 whcih is probably because the pips seem a little wider apart altough bigger.
So today I took out the holy grail for a twirl and heres what I found.
My loops were like with T05 very spinny, the throw is a little lower than the exaggerated high arcing Timo boll loops T05 produced for me but still were too high.
The dwell time is still too pronounced, just like T05 the ball seems to stick in the sponge and then shoot out. My practice partner told me my loops were spinny but much slower than usual.
My back was beginning to hurt tring to produce my usually more penetrating drives while the guy blocking to me looked bored dealing with my lolipop loops.
The rubber produced a real nice glue sound all the time which I liked but seriously I was dissapointed with the lack of penetration.
I noticed a serious non linearness to the T64's performance, sometimes when I backed off and counterlooped I would produce a frighteningly powerful drive which seemed out of proportion to the modest swing I made and at other times I would underhit. I think this sponge is just too soft and springy to control reliably.
T64 produced real nice spinny serves. i got good bite on my backspins but I could not make put away drives because of the high throw. I had the same problem with T05 and I was hoping the T64 would be more of a  power rubber but really it is not.
Blocking for me was even worse. It was way too springy to control, I was blocking off everything that was spun hard.
And then, I tore it off.
Sorry to dissapoint, but to me this Tenergy 64 is a bunch of steaming crap. Butterfly you can go ahead and enjoy my $100, congratulations on a brilliant marketing strategy and best wishes to the poor EJ's who will continue to line up for and try all the Tenergys yet to come from T29, T88 and the best Tenergy of all T77.
I think this rubber will best be enjoyed by beginners and intermediate players , maybe females, but I dont think many advanced male players will like it.
Petermoo

Sponsored Links

le xex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote le xex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 1:01am
nice ploy to stop ppl from buying off all the t64's Wink
rossicarbon View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossicarbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 1:02am
too fast !!! very hard to control......
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 1:07am
reminds me of that brian pace said about the rubber.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24640&PID=292910#292910

pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 1:18am
i know more ppl disappointed by 05 and 64, then ppl who liked it, myself included

i think 05 may have been designed around timo's game....so if you dont play like him or close to his level.....forget it 

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

I didnt see this before.
I consider Brian Pace an expert on Butterfly rubbers.
Petermoo
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 2:03am
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

I didnt see this before.
I consider Brian Pace an expert on Butterfly rubbers.
Petermoo
Exerpt from Brians post "Tenergy 05 is not hype, I tried it last year and both reviews were real. " 
Maybe you two mis-understood that Brian liked T05 and T64, but not T25.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 2:13am
Originally posted by metalone metalone wrote:

reminds me of that brian pace said about the rubber. http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24640&PID=292910#292910
I didnt see this before.I consider Brian Pace an expert on Butterfly rubbers.Petermoo

Exerpt from Brians post "Tenergy 05 is not hype, I tried it last year and both reviews were real. "�
Maybe you two mis-understood that Brian liked T05�and T64, but not T25.

Yea nice catch, too many "tenergy plus random numbers for me" :\
scottymang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottymang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 5:19am
I don't know what blade you used it on.On a normal all or off blade there is a nice arc coming from the T64 but on faster blades the this arc is almost gone.So I think 05 is for the faster blades.

But if your not really able to control the rubber did you ever use speedglue before?petermoo.

Timo Boll ALC + 2x Rakza7 max = Scottymang
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 7:38am
petermoo

the review is good but i don't find Tenergy so bad .
If you read other topics you'll sea that i allways say that Boost TC is better rubber than any Tenergy but i think you must compare Tenergy products with rubbers as Nimbus, Roxon, Pryde and others.
If you compare Tenergy with the made in German Tensors (and even Yasaka and Nittaku produce their new technology rubber in Germany) then the distance is giant in terms of playing characteristics and durability.
I agree that Bty products are often overrated, due to the fact Bty pays big money for contracts of too many players and coaches. But because of this  Bty can have these high prices and so big popularity.
e-pingpongshop
stoic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stoic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 8:10am
Originally posted by lilactime031 lilactime031 wrote:

petermoo

the review is good but i don't find Tenergy so bad .
If you read other topics you'll sea that i allways say that Boost TC is better rubber than any Tenergy but i think you must compare Tenergy products with rubbers as Nimbus, Roxon, Pryde and others.
If you compare Tenergy with the made in German Tensors (and even Yasaka and Nittaku produce their new technology rubber in Germany) then the distance is giant in terms of playing characteristics and durability.
I agree that Bty products are often overrated, due to the fact Bty pays big money for contracts of too many players and coaches. But because of this  Bty can have these high prices and so big popularity.

Exactly, I'm not sure what you're comparing 64 too, but your review is the complete opposite to my experience. T64 is one of the fastest speed glue effect rubbers, the only thing faster being speed glued rubbers!

I would suggest that your technique needs adjusting to take advantage of this rubber.

http://www.static-sounds.com
Check out our tunes!
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 10:22am
I use T64 for one month. I agree with Petermoo about the non-linearity to the T64's performance. I experience this non-linearity especially during passive strokes.
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 11:09am
Decent review until the end when you started going overboard with the steaming crap stuff. Ok, so you don't like high throw rubbers! Point made.

Its no secret all the tenergy's have high throw compared to other rubbers. Use Bryce Speed or another brand if you want more speed.

Forum user Speedy can probably suggest some really fast rubbers for driving the ball with speed and the control of a lower throw than tenergy.

Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 11:22am
Petermoo.

I felt the same about Ten64 when I first started, but all it really needs is an adjustment of the blade angle. Once you understand which blade angle produces the right arc, its fine.

Do an exercise like this:

Let the ball bounce once on the table and loop it off the table to hit the far wall on the full. This will give you an idea of the top spin/arc trajectory "at your maximum power"!
Keep doing this until you feel you can predict the curve.

Now try again, this time looping onto the table.

I hope it helps. Give it another go, too expensive a rubber to waste hehe
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 11:49am

The most common thing I hear from players who use Tenergy is that, 'It takes time to get used to' In other words its a very good rubber but you have to adjust your technique.

Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 2:11pm
I give credit to Petermoos words, I can sense that he is a high level player.

Here a quite a few players have tried T64 and the majority found the same as Petermoo. The penetration is still not there, and what is more, it lacks spin.

By the way, in the country where I am living everybody except the players of the highest two leagues are gluing just as before.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 2:49pm
Good player? he should be, He is the Jamaican national champion.. Wink

I bet he can beat 99.9 % forum members, I probably won't score a single point against him if I don't get an edge or a net LOL
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2009 at 10:00pm
Hey Peter, your discovery isn't exactly in line with what BTY Korea felt, eh? Well, that review guy has to make a living pimping rubber somehow and I don't blame him.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2009 at 8:31am
Im not questioning this guys ability, but It seems like he got overhyped about something.  Like me going to a movie and realising I have seen all the good parts.

Honestly his review sounded similar to mine except I feel I gave it more time before condeming it, actually I sold every 64 I got because I thought 05 was better.  In the mean time my backhand has never been this good with any other rubber than with the 64.

Its faster because its better at punching
its better than most other rubbers because it catches the ball more consistantly
its also got catapult "bounce" what high tension tensor jargon you want to say

So would be very interested to see what petermoo has to say about the rubber he thinks is better.

I find so many people come in with a new rubber and just bag it because it doesnt play automatically the way there old rubber did.  Common you have to expect adjustment, and even the 10 players in the world will not go into the next championship after using something for a few weeks.

t64 has really grown on me
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2009 at 11:33pm
some rubbers do not play well with some blades he matched it up with the gergly blade i believe he said. sometimes this is the reason
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2009 at 3:15am
It ought to be good with that although I havent tried it.  The non linear thing he talks about is actually what some people would say is good, others find it hard to control.  I always found bryce speed glued as the most extreme non linear rubber but just loved it.  I found it very similar to 64 in its fling (as close as you can come to speed glue without).

Adjusting to the fling and finding exact right distance from which the rubber works best is the key, I believe butterfly actually got this one very right. 

First I prefered 05 on backhand at any distance but now after months of play have totally been rewarded by trying to perfect my backhand with 64, 64 is much more dynamic in my mind.  You just have to have a bit more open face at the table.

I still keep wondering about 05 and 64 when looping... which one kicks the ball forward more?  sometimes I think its 05 and then 64.

64 when close to the table loops sometimes short sometimes less or more spin

05 is more consistant spin - no real suprises once you get used to it, a longer loop but sometimes diving down to early from a distance...

so 05 closer to the table 64 further.

when you make an error and get pushed back - most people will hammer your backhand so therefore 64 makes sense there

Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Axio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Axio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 8:38am
dude...may I ask how many top pro players are using Tenergy 64...and they don't complain about it hhahaha
"Member of Single Ply Hinoki Club"

BTY Special 10mm 84g + HEXER HD

BTY Special 10mm 84g + HEXER HD

BTY Kim Taek Soo Special 10mm 88g + HEXER HD
satthu View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote satthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 12:35pm

...I think this rubber will best be enjoyed by beginners and intermediate players , maybe females, but I dont think many advanced male players will like it.Petermoo

Some freaking dumb/sexist comments
Darker 5P-2A ST
Banda Sigma
Stiga Mendo MP
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

The most common thing I hear from players who use Tenergy is that, 'It takes time to get used to' In other words its a very good rubber but you have to adjust your technique.

Hmm. I got used to it in about 1hour. Ask Bull_Harrier. Hell to me T05 plays a bit slower than untuned BW2. my main problem with T05 (and it is not a deficiency) is if I do not put any energy forward. Ball goes into the net without fall. Hell, that is my first indication that I am starting to faulter on footwork.
Speed glue, booster, tuner free since 2006!!!
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 1:17pm
I play now with T64 on my backhand before I used BryceSPeedFX.
BsFX has less feeling, throw angle is much lower.
My ball feeling gets better and now my topspins becomes to killer loops.
Punching gets better to because T64 is more control able.

For the Forehand, If you like Tenergy, but you punch and counter many times, use the 64 version, the 05 version you wouldn't fits you.
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 2:34pm
I am using Tenergy 64 on my FH and Bryce speed FX on backhand, T64 is really the best looping rubber and I am very happy with that, but the Bryce Fx does not feel right somehow, I wanted to change my backhand to T64 but because my blade is Amultart I think it would become a heavy set up and I don't want that.
I put T25 on my backhand and it became too heavy and uncomfortable, what do you think I should do?
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 2:52pm
In Greece many top players play T64 on f/h and Bryce Speed FX(boosted) on b/h.
I hope it helps.
Blade: Stiga Infinity
FH: Dignics 80
BH: Dignics 05
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 2:53pm
UGHH. Why resurrect this thread?

NEWSFLASH: If you are a power hitter and you don't like expensive, spinny rubbers, don't buy Tenergy!
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 5:48pm
I have played with Joola EGP for a couple of years and I tried out t64 Looking for something with a slightly harder feel for my forehand, which t64 has. I like the feel of T64 very much and the spin it creates, however my flat hitting with it was much slower and more difficult to achieve as compared to the EGP. I tried it on 4-5 blades ranging from flexy all+ types to stiff off types, but it never allowed me to smash well . So my experience was similar to Petermoo's.

I have decided just to stick with the EGP even though it feels a little soft, because I know what will happen when I hit/loop the ball and I can put it away easily on high balls( not with T64). One other factor about EGP that I find to be reallypleasing, is that It keeps similar (liner)playing characteristics on different types of blades.

Just my two cents/ $46 on T64Confused
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by satthu satthu wrote:

...I think this rubber will best be enjoyed by beginners and intermediate players , maybe females, but I dont think many advanced male players will like it.Petermoo

Some freaking dumb/sexist comments

How dare you!
You are an idiot if you think that its dumb or sexist to think that a rubber is better suited to females than males or a particular level of player.
Its an empirical fact that the female game is different to the male game and the material requirements are different as is the fact that lower level players have different requirements.
I am prepared to put my table tennis qualifications up against yours anytime so tell me your pedigree as a player and academically and lets have an intellectual discussion on this point.
Otherwise I might think its just a dumb comment.
Petermoo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic