Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My own spin coming back.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
7q5g85z02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7q5g85z02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My own spin coming back.
    Posted: 04/29/2009 at 12:04pm
Hi People,

I've been playing seriously about 14 months now and i'm starting to get there with my attacking technique. I've recently bought a new bat setup which is quite fast and spinny and have been told by a couple of helpful opponents that i have difficulty with my own spin coming back to me. Can anyone help me with this?

I tend to serve short with different combinations of back and forehand->backhand side i've been working on the same serves for quite some time now and i'm wondering if i'm putting too much side on and not really knowing how to control it when it comes back to me.

Does anyone have any helpful advice?

Thanks.

Nick.
Sponsored Links

Tomii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 3:05pm
you already made a topic about this, and someone already gave you some advice.... -.-'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M

Self-made video please watch and comment
7q5g85z02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7q5g85z02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 3:38pm
I did?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 3:57pm
Seeing as how he only has 4 posts so far... I doubt that he has an extra topic on this issue. Anyway, the problem is usually two-pronged

a) you are not expecting spin because opponent is hitting  ball flat
b) you are not reacting properly to the incoming spin

If it is a) then change your expectations - if you really spin the ball and your opponent's racket doesn't really care (it could be hardbat, anti or pips) then you are getting your own spin back even after they hit it flat

In case of b) - this is a general issue, meaning it is one of the most important things in TT, to learn how to read the spin on the incoming ball and to counteract it properly. Comes with practice... lots of practice... and carefully watching the opponent's motions as well as the ball itself...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Tomii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 4:00pm
whadda :D:D:D:D ut i saw someone telling him to apply less sidespin at the beginning and apply more later :D and because i didn't see the reply i thought it is another topic sry :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M

Self-made video please watch and comment
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 4:04pm
Generally speaking, just get ready for the ball to be spinning in the opposite direction when someone returns one of your sidespin serves...

For example, if you are right handed and serve fh with a bit of side-under spin to make the ball curve to the right, if the opponent returns it with a neutral shot (without imparting their own spin on it) it will most likely kick up to the left when it bounces on your side.

I have this problem sometimes I am lazy after serving a tomahawk with heavy side spin to the left and when they return it the ball kicks to the right and I catch the edge of my paddle. LOL

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2009 at 4:12pm
sometimes it's better to keep it simple. I use a lot of heavy side top cork and such. If you're not getting winners with it, better to just go with standard backspin variations, and use the side as a surprise.

Of course, vs junk rubber those types of serves can be a total disaster.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
yearlytaxforms View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yearlytaxforms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2009 at 12:32am
hah, i 2nd that,"Of course, vs junk rubber those types of serves can be a total disaster."i have a really good back side cork serve and vs people with normal rubbers they normally set up my 3rd ball, but with sh*tty rubbers they can smash it back, i think its pretty odd.
TG7-AS c-pen
f: H3 neo
b: Globe 999 quattro 2.3
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/30/2009 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Tomii Tomii wrote:

whadda :D:D:D:D ut i saw someone telling him to apply less sidespin at the beginning and apply more later :D and because i didn't see the reply i thought it is another topic sry :D

Sorry Tomii, that was me.. LOL
I was replying to the thread but after carefully read the original question again, I thought that I might not get the right answer to the question (I can't figure out what serves the TS having problems with) so I deleted my reply!!! Sorry.. Big%20smile
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic