Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Who wants to try out a blade?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who wants to try out a blade?
    Posted: 05/20/2009 at 2:46pm
Alright, here's the deal. I've been making blades for a good while and now that the local market is saturated, just about everyone at my club has bought one. I pretty much need to drum up some business or I'll have to stop making them for financial reasons. My proposition is to send out a blade to whoever responds first and they can in turn send it to the next person interested and so forth (not unlike what occurred with the Ulmo shark blade). I will send out a 5-ply all wood (balsa core) ALL+/OFF- (mixed reviews on speed) with a ST handle.

IMPORTANT NOTE: You may not want to participate if you 1) Hate Balsa blades 2) play consistently far off the table 3) hit your blade on the table frequently 4) steal, cheat or lie.

The blade I'm going to make for this little project will be constructed of....
Walnut-cypress-balsa-cypress-Walnut
It will be about 8.5mm thick and weigh between 75-85 grams. Hopefully those who favor balsa blades will get a chance to hit with it and if they enjoy it then they may contact me about doing a custom blade.

I hope some of you folks are into it.

Thanks,
Ian

Left to Right-
1. 5-ply oversized defense, w/ cork strip handle, (willow,poplar,willow,poplar,willow)
2. 5-ply ALL, conic handle (palo maria,cypress,willow,cypress,palo maria)
3.7-ply OFF, Tenaly style, (purpleheart,cypress,basswood,balsa,basswood,cypress,purpleheart)

4. 5-ply All-, slight conic handle, (limba,poplar,balsa,poplar,limba)
5. 5-ply All+, Straight handle, (limba,cypress,balsa,cypress,limba,new rubbers!!!)

Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
Sponsored Links

Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 5:07pm
I would like to try one of your blades.
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 7:06pm
any cpen
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 8:53pm
I could make a c-pen, and am certainly willing to, but I'd need more than one person interested in playing with it.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 10:50pm
I would like to try either a conic handle(shakehand) or a cpen(penhold).
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 11:26pm
My favorite blades are all wood and my actual blade is a 79gr Violin.
I'd be happy to try the tenaly style OFF 7-ply blade.
huizhao85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huizhao85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2009 at 11:30pm
I would love to try CPEN, also I'd like to try 1,2,4,5
YEO CPen + T05 + Sriver G3
Violin CPen + H3 NEO + Boost TC
nicefrog View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicefrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 12:11am
If you are sending one to Australia at some stage I'd be happy to try it out. I play with a Balsa blade, never hit the table etc. I know what they are about

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 12:30am
ianworz: you might like to mention where you are located, and where you're willing to ship to...this forum has a wide range of nationalities...

You might also like to fix up the link to your blog, in your profile... there is an "@" symbol that should be a "."Wink
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 9:47am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

ianworz: you might like to mention where you are located, and where you're willing to ship to...this forum has a wide range of nationalities...You might also like to fix up the link to your blog, in your profile... there is an "@" symbol that should be a "."Wink

- True words, thanks haggis. I'm currently in Florida so it's easiest and fastest for me to ship within the states, particularly within the southeast, from there it can go wherever people will pass it. Since there is such a high density of members in Australia, I'd be willing to ship there with enough interest from members.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 9:49am
The only bad thing about that blade is that it weighs in right at 100 grams. It's pretty quick though (probably just like anything that heavy).
Fat, you can have it for $15.00+shipping.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 10:39am
100gr = too heavy for me but thanks.
I'd rather shoot for between 80 and 85grams, 5 plies and ALL ?
how much do you want for #4  or #5?
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 11:26am
Those two are my personal blades but I could reproduce either. Also, be aware, I can make a number of ply combos depending on what you want as far as speed, spin, control, aesthetics, etc. P.M. me for more details about pricing etc.

Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2009 at 2:06pm
I cut down the plies and started gluing them up. Here's how things look for now, if you want in on the rotation just post.

ALL+/OFF- Shakehand w/ ST handle

fatt (if he wants?) > Skyline > ocvillager > nicefrog >?

OFF- C-Pen & ALL C-Pen

minicd > 729 FX > huizhao85 > ?

Why 2 Penholds?

I'm making one with the standard balsa core and another with a thinner cypress core. The purpose of this is that I assume a cypress core might be a little more becoming of the c-pen style/strokes and I'd like to get feedback from guys that play c-pen exclusively (no one at my club plays penhold).

All 3 blades should be done by early next week and I will post photos before I send them out.

Thanks for the interest.

Ian
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2009 at 11:54pm
Alright,

The 3 blades to be sent are just about finished, they just need a final sanding.

Fatt or skyline PM me your address and I'll send out the shakehand.
minicd PM your's and I'll send you the two penholds.

I should be able to get them out by Tuesday or Wednesday.

My girlfriend got a new camera so I thought I'd play around with it and maybe give a brief explanation of the blade making process.

It all starts here with a pile of core woods, handle woods, and a bunch of veneers.

Then everything is cut down to about 8"x12", then glued and clamped, and finally sealed with polyurethane.

After that, the rough shape is cut with a band saw, then rough sanded with an oscillating drum sander.

Handle pieces are glued up (if they are layered) and cut out...

Then the handle pieces need to be routed and sanded, and then glued up to the tang of the blade. Then someone gets a blade.

This is the cypress-core c-pen.

One side is a hardwood concoction and the other is cork. I figure if you play wood out and cork in, you may have a bit more comfort.

The Balsa-core c-pen.

The Black Walnut Shakehander

I Think I'll cap the night with some sh*tty *ss beer.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
huizhao85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huizhao85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 12:42am
awesome pictures
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 1:58am
I am so happy with my violin so I won't pay anything to make me wonder again. If I receive a blade at no charge I will do my best to write a honnest review about it before sending the blade to somebody else in the US on my tab.
I want to deal with off- all + blades only.
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:07am
Awww, now I'm kicking myself for not looking at this thread earlier, I was it when it was first posted but didnt check for some reason.

Looks very fascinating though, my dad is a carpenter and looooooves wood like a OCD beaver and makes stuff from tree to finished furniture and I think I could potentially get him to make a custom one for me one day, whenever he has time, which will be never since they just adopted a baby brother...
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:34am
http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/uploads/New/20090523_234725_DSCN0207.jpg
that pictire is so cool.
i imagine ianworz lying down on the hardwood floor with his chin refinishing it to get the best shot.
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 8:49am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am so happy with my violin so I won't pay anything to make me wonder again. If I receive a blade at no charge I will do my best to write a honnest review about it before sending the blade to somebody else in the US on my tab.
I want to deal with off- all + blades only.

That's fine by me, All I'm looking for is to get some reviews.

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

http://mytabletennis.net/Forum/uploads/New/20090523_234725_DSCN0207.jpg

that pictire is so cool.
i imagine ianworz lying down on the hardwood floor with his chin refinishing it to get the best shot.

Lol, I can't tell if that's a beard joke or a carpentry joke.

Originally posted by huizhao85 huizhao85 wrote:

awesome pictures

Thanks man, are you still down to try the two c-pens?

Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

Awww, now I'm kicking myself for not looking at this thread earlier, I was it when it was first posted but didnt check for some reason. Looks very fascinating though, my dad is a carpenter and looooooves wood like a OCD beaver and makes stuff from tree to finished furniture and I think I could potentially get him to make a custom one for me one day, whenever he has time, which will be never since they just adopted a baby brother...

Thanks for checking it out. It's always cool when people start with a felled tree and take it to a final product. Good luck with familial addition!
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 1:09pm

@ Ianworz I send you a PM.

Black SOul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black SOul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 1:42pm
Hi Ian... Which is the glue for gluing each veneer in your blades.?....I've been using  ciano acrylate(very expensive and quick  drying) and polivinyl acetate but not work very well...

Congratulations for your blades very good job bye...
Juic Kiso Hinoki 8.5 mm

Haifu Whale 2 Factory Tuned(forehand)

Kokutaku Blutenkirsche 868 tokyo super tacky soft(backhand)
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:03pm
Hi Black SOul,
     I do not know what glues you have in Chile. Ciano acrylate is not a good glue for veneers. It might work but is not the ideal glue. You need to find a glue made for wood. In the US I use Elmers Wood Glue, epoxys, and some other types. There are glues made especially for veneer work. Epoxys work well and make a blade faster than other type glues but also make the blade heavier as they do not dry by evaporation. Smile
AosI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AosI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 2:06pm
I'm in North Carolina, which is southeastern US.. I'd love to try one.  What do you need from me?
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 11:42pm
Fantastic pictures,  Ianworz.  
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2009 at 11:50pm
Yes, I also like the pictures, great!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
huizhao85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huizhao85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2009 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

yeah, whats the difference between the two besides the handles.
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2009 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by huizhao85 huizhao85 wrote:

Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

yeah, whats the difference between the two besides the handles.

One has a balsa core and the other has a cypress core.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2009 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

Hi Black SOul,     I do not know what glues you have in Chile. Ciano acrylate is not a good glue for veneers. It might work but is not the ideal glue. You need to find a glue made for wood. In the US I use Elmers Wood Glue, epoxys, and some other types. There are glues made especially for veneer work. Epoxys work well and make a blade faster than other type glues but also make the blade heavier as they do not dry by evaporation. Smile

Hide/hoof/animal glue aside, there are really only two feasible glues to make quality blades, polyurethane liquid glues (like gorilla glue) and epoxies. I use poly glues for all wood blades and it is the best glue for the application because of how it foams. The expansion of foam fills into the grain and creates the best possible bond between plies.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2009 at 11:54pm
Hi,

Can you send me The Balsa-core c-pen? The one in the picture?  I'll pm you my address if you agree.

Thanks

Tsanyc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic