FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sealing Blade with Woodworking Varnish?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
figgie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote figgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

"THREE MONTHS?"� Whats the matter with you? The manufacturers won't make much from you.� LOL �Smile�Wink

<--- mental note. Drink and swallow coke before reading hookshot's post.

You bum!! You made me spray the coke all over my keyboard with that post!!!! LOL

If it is any consolation, I did buy 6 sheets at one time :)
Sponsored Links

vader555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vader555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 7:43am
there is a blade sealing video in about.com

http://tabletennis.about.com/od/blades/a/sealing_blade.htm
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 9:18am
He is a better table tennis player than he is a woodworker. His method will leave streaks. If I was not leaving for China soon, I would do one for him. There are a few problems with his method. He is putting it on thick which I consider OK, BUT, standing it up to dry will let it run down and can make an uneven coat top to bottom.
If you want a nice even thick coat, you want the blade FLAT while it dries so the finish will even itself out. I do this by sticking the handle in the side of a stack of magazines.
Using a piece of paper to spread the finish does not give a smooth finish.  A much nicer finish will be obtained by using 2 or 3 thin coats. A thin coat with Quick Dry Poly or Verithane will be dry in a couple hours. A rubbed on THIN coat will dry in one hour.Smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:52pm
My current sealing rating points are 12874.51.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 3:09pm
Tommy, I challenge you to a "Seal Off" in China!  WinkSmile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 3:19pm

Tommy, I challenge you to a "Seal Off" in China!  WinkSmile

Would you mind if a couple hundred of my female students were involved?
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 3:30pm
Twist my arm!  LOL
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 6:25am
I want to seal my Acoustic with Andro free seal (2 layers). Is that ok? 
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 1:09pm
I found that many of the professional sealants need extra amount or coats to cover because they tend to b light. You want even coverage no matter what. All the best!!
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 1:31pm
Didn't get what you said. 
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

He meant sealers from professional TT manufacturers, like yours, are thinner than other wood sealers, so you need to apply multiple coats.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 2:38pm
I use fast dry minwax that I had left from when i did my garage. 

I apply only 1 layer and apply it with 8-fold VIVA paper towel. Next day I sand with whatever automotive sandpaper I find in my garage, usually 1000 or higher. I sand very little, just to take the tiny microscopic grains out.

The blades become BEAUTIFUL after the sealing. The wood gets that tan color and it looks so perfectly smooth and homogeneous. It looks like a very expensive blade. I love the finish of a blade after sealing.

Even after a single layer, that has been sanded down some too, I have never experienced any splintering of any form afterwards. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 7:50pm
In the old days, very few players bothered with varnish as the VOC glue also sealed the blade.
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2011 at 9:53pm
I know a guy who rubs the blade with the grease off his forehead. The problem is the rubber usually flies off in matches and knocks the opponent unconscious.
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 5:00am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Originally posted by player87 player87 wrote:

He meant sealers from professional TT manufacturers, like yours, are thinner than other wood sealers, so you need to apply multiple coats.
Thanks. The main issue for me is not to loose unique characteristics of the blade. That's why I am asking about it. 
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 5:18am
W/b floor varnish is OK with me. I buy a bucket, varnish the floor twice and always keep 2-3 bottles of 100 ml for the blades. A gallon is about $40 around here.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 2:51pm
That's right!! Just be sure not to walk on the blade for 24-hours. LOL
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 3:02pm
Imago,
     Read the can please and see what it is made from. Poly-U maybe? Smile
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 3:04pm
Listen to Hookshot. He knows. After all, he varnishes his wooden leg semi-annually. :-).
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 3:38pm

Imago,
     Read the can please and see what it is made from. Poly-U maybe? Smile

Self-webbing (?) acrylate emulsions, polyurethane emulsions, teflon. Water based.

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2011 at 3:51pm
If I don't varnish with Poly-U, my leg warps when in S. China.  LOL
Davey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2011 at 1:53pm
use a sealer like any of the brands- Joola do a great light one. why use normal thick heavy wood varnish designed to protect against rain and weather or at the very least to protect wooden floors-DONT CHEAP OUT ON A SEALER AFTER SPENDING THE MONEY ON A BLADE ITS A FALSE ECONOMY AND VERY FOOLISH I wouldnt dream of destroying a new blade with thick varnish plus it would weigh ALOT more.
David
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/14/2011 at 3:06pm
Obviously you are not a woodworker. There are many methods to use any varnish besides a brush or paint roller. A little use of the serch function will bring up some of these methods. Also, just read page one of this thread. I have put one here, used by TommyZia and I. He and I have done hundreds of blades.

Seal ALL blades. One coat of Poly-U will not change a blade. My fav is Minwax Poly Quick Dry, Satin. Dip the corner of a lint free rag in it, rub it into the wood. Then wipe it off, let dry. If it is very open grain wood, use two or three coats. Apply about 10 minutes apart, then dry for one hour. Done.

You "might" be able to feel a little difference on an ALL- or DEF blade. I can't tell you. I do not use slow blades. 

OFF- to OFF+, you can not feel the difference with one or two coats.

I have done tests by comparing an unsealed blade to a sealed blade many times. Bouncing a ball on the bare blades, (OFF- or faster) two coats gave a "slightly higher" sound on "some" of the blades. With rubbers on the blade, (blind test) NO ONE could pick the sealed blade. I have done tests with up to 10 coats of Poly-U.

Varathane works the same.  Both brands make water or mineral based finish. When dry, both are water proof. Water based gives a crystal clear finish while mineral based adds a slight golden glo to the wood.

If you use many coats for a "table top" finish, you must "lightly" sand with #320 to break the shine so the glue will stick better. With one or two coats, the glue holds fine and will stay on the sponge 95% of the time when the rubber is removed.
I would not use "Made for Table Tennis" sealers as they do not even tell you what they are made of and they cost too much. Tests by Woodworkers Magazine have shown Poly-U to be the strongest, most scratch resistant, waterproof finish commonally available. A small can will do dozens of blades.  Smile

If you use water based glue, remember to seal the edges of the blade. Smile

Edited by Hookshot - 12/14/2011 at 4:09pm
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2011 at 12:02pm

He is a better table tennis player than he is a woodworker. His method will leave streaks. If I was not leaving for China soon, I would do one for him. There are a few problems with his method. He is putting it on thick which I consider OK, BUT, standing it up to dry will let it run down and can make an uneven coat top to bottom.
If you want a nice even thick coat, you want the blade FLAT while it dries so the finish will even itself out. I do this by sticking the handle in the side of a stack of magazines.
Using a piece of paper to spread the finish does not give a smooth finish.  A much nicer finish will be obtained by using 2 or 3 thin coats. A thin coat with Quick Dry Poly or Verithane will be dry in a couple hours. A rubbed on THIN coat will dry in one hour.Smile

but that would render the blade ilegal since the outer ply must look and feel like wood
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2011 at 3:49pm
This is my fav but I use other Minwax products also.The rub on Poly works well also.

Edited by Hookshot - 12/15/2011 at 3:54pm
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2011 at 4:04pm
I like the gloss. Some think the semi or satin gives better adhesion but I have not found that. If you use enough coats to make a smooth finish with any of them, it will need to be lightly broken with #400 or #600 sand paper for the glue to grip. I think the satin or semi look is "IN" the finish, not on the surface.  Smile
Cho! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cho! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 5:03pm
How does Spar Urethane compare to Poly U? I Just got my new blade in the mail 30 minutes ago and found a can of both Spar and Poly in my basement. Which would work better for singly ply hinoki? 
Jpen: Senkoh-1 w. Xiom Vega Pro
SH: Expert All+ w. TG3 Neo & Illumina
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2011 at 5:25pm
I use: http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/60-352-clear-finish-polyurethane/varathane-polyurethane-diamond-semi-gloss-620633.aspx
But in Satin finish.

Blade Sealing by Tommy Zai

*Prepare blade first. If you have to lightly sand, do it carefully with a fine gauge sponge sanding block-DRY. If you wet-sand a bare wood blade it might soften the wood and could deform it. Do not round off blade edges. Use rubbing alcohol to clean. Let dry (a few minutes). Now you're ready . . .

VARATHANE DIAMOND INTERIOR WOOD FINISH-SATIN (not gloss)-#2002-61.

1. Stir can well without shaking (causes air bubbles).

2. Dip the corner (twisted or folded up a little to provide a nice little flat area) of clean, dry cotton cloth* and quickly rub the sealer into the blade and with a technique that covers evenly. I go in circles starting at the center of the face of the blade and work my way to the outer edges, then wipe along the side edge (perimeter) of the blade where the edge tape will go, then quickly return to the face of the blade to wipe off any spill over from the edge sealing with some light vertical strokes from handle out over top of blade. You might want to stroke a nice even level line across the top of the handle where the bottom edge of the rubber will go; however, I think it looks better and strengthens the blade to seal the wings/shoulder. Some prefer to use a sponge or china bristle brush when applying, but that leaves a heavy coat and/or streaks of sealant. THAT IS NO GOOD IMO. The trick is to rub the sealant INTO the blade, then gently wipe off the excess with the cloth.

3. Wait one hour, then polish with a clean dry cloth.

4. Repeat.

5. Repeat a third time ONLY if the blade is like bare porous wood or if you want a stiffer lacquered effect (I have over sealed and made a mess. My blade looked like an over protected night table . . . hard as a rock and too thick). Luckily, I managed to fix this by sanding with a fine gauge wet sanding sponge and it took hours to repair my disaster. But only do this if you mess up, which you shouldn't. However, I should mention many of the Chinese players are over-sealing to stiffen the blade. Some call over-sealing "lacquering." There are also other product and techniques specifically designed for lacquering, but I recommend using Varathane and adjusting the number of layers.

6. Let harden overnight.

7. Affix your rubbers! I use glue sheets and NEVER get splinters when removing!!!!!!

*Use a cotton cloth or an expensive paper towel like Bounty that will not leave lint of fall apart and get stuck to your wet sealer. I use an old pair of 100% cotton boxer shorts. :-).

I learned the technique in China.

I don't remember who turned me on to this Varathane, but it was on MYTT.

Edited by tommyzai - 12/17/2011 at 5:27pm
pokerpete View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pokerpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 10:11pm
i want to try sealing a spare blade..... what do you guys recommend as far as water based or oil based?

i have access to full line of min-wax products at home depot

im thinking water based, satin, fast dry, wipe on, by minwax........ but wondering if the oil base one will hold up better in the long run?

Blade:Stiga Sense 7.6/ Timo ZLC

FH: Tenergy 05FX

BH: Tibhar Q5 Sound

Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2012 at 10:16pm
Water based and mineral based are both very tough. You will not be able to tell the difference when done.
The mineral based gives a "small" golden hue compared to the crystal clear finish of the water based. This shows most when you have very pretty wood.
Read the methods in this thread and use the "TEE shirt" method.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic