Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

coaching experience in ShenZhen, China...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coaching experience in ShenZhen, China...
    Posted: 06/03/2009 at 11:29am
I just want to share my experience of learning to play TT in ShenZhen for the past 3 months.

I started playing TT last year in Canada with a coach for 4 months.  Then I have my vacation in Hong Kong for 3 months.  So I decided to try to get a coach in either in Hong Kong or ShenZhen to further my learning.

I went to most of the clubs in Hong Kong.  But almost all of them are small in size which in my opinion is too tight of space for playing comfortably.  I also watched some of the coaches teach.  Although the coaches do all the usual drills, but they don't seem to be very professional at all.  But the coaches charge between US$ 35-50/hour, and table fee is from US$0-2.50/hour.

Then I went to a few clubs in ShenZhen and GuangZhou.  GuangZhou has the better aminities and more expensive clubs, but the coaches are better in ShenZhen.  The charge for a coach range from US$9-13/hour + table fee of $3-5/hour.

Usually, I played with coach that charges US$13+5/hour.  By paying US$2/hour more I get my own bounded playing area which is also more roomy and with my own private air conditioning (which is a must in the summer time in asia).  The coaches who charge the most are usually the best of the club.  The less expensive may be good enough for most people, but since I traveled from across the world to here, I just want the best coach.  The coaches are usually from the ex-provincial team, who are those that can't make it to the national team playing with WangHao.  The coaches are in the mid-20's which is the age of WangHao.

After 3 months of learning with the Chinese coach in ShenZhen, my playing style have improve a great deal as in Very Spiny Loop, Tight Form, Aggressive Backhand, Fast Responsive Leg Movement.  If I didn't go to ShenZhen to learn, I don't think I can learn this contemperaly Chinese style any where else; of course at very affortable costs.  This young coaches just left the provincial team so their skill is more current style of play.  But the time they immigrate to abroad, their skill would be 10-20 years old.

Next year after I save enough, I will go back to learn my Serve & Receive which I don't have enough concentration this time.  Now I will go home to kick some asses. 

Sponsored Links

richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 11:57am
Originally posted by miceman miceman wrote:

I just want to share my experience of learning to play TT in ShenZhen for the past 3 months.

I started playing TT last year in Canada with a coach for 4 months.  Then I have my vacation in Hong Kong for 3 months.  So I decided to try to get a coach in either in Hong Kong or ShenZhen to further my learning.

I went to most of the clubs in Hong Kong.  But almost all of them are small in size which in my opinion is too tight of space for playing comfortably.  I also watched some of the coaches teach.  Although the coaches do all the usual drills, but they don't seem to be very professional at all.  But the coaches charge between US$ 35-50/hour, and table fee is from US$0-2.50/hour.

Then I went to a few clubs in ShenZhen and GuangZhou.  GuangZhou has the better aminities and more expensive clubs, but the coaches are better in ShenZhen.  The charge for a coach range from US$9-13/hour + table fee of $3-5/hour.

Usually, I played with coach that charges US$13+5/hour.  By paying US$2/hour more I get my own bounded playing area which is also more roomy and with my own private air conditioning (which is a must in the summer time in asia).  The coaches who charge the most are usually the best of the club.  The less expensive may be good enough for most people, but since I traveled from across the world to here, I just want the best coach.  The coaches are usually from the ex-provincial team, who are those that can't make it to the national team playing with WangHao.  The coaches are in the mid-20's which is the age of WangHao.

After 3 months of learning with the Chinese coach in ShenZhen, my playing style have improve a great deal as in Very Spiny Loop, Tight Form, Aggressive Backhand, Fast Responsive Leg Movement.  If I didn't go to ShenZhen to learn, I don't think I can learn this contemperaly Chinese style any where else; of course at very affortable costs.  This young coaches just left the provincial team so their skill is more current style of play.  But the time they immigrate to abroad, their skill would be 10-20 years old.

Next year after I save enough, I will go back to learn my Serve & Receive which I don't have enough concentration this time.  Now I will go home to kick some asses. 

Hi again miceman,

Can you point me to a link that exemplifies the kind of style that you picked up - e.g. tight form?

I found this one on Waldner and it appears pretty open, comparatively speaking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA74UCFmru0

Thanks.

Rich
Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 12:05pm
I deceive myself now & then. Reading your post called my attention to this...
more specifically, reading your last sentence called my attention to this.
My reaction to it was quick & clear!

When I am wearing one of many faces I say to myself, and any that will listen;
"I do not have to win. I just want to play well."
I've said this many many times.

...But the reason I am trying, trying to improve
is to become a Master

or as you so eloquently, and far more succinctly said:
"kick some asses." 
NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
big d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 12:18pm
thanks for sharing your experience
petr korbel
fh t05
bh nexy karis m
miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 1:11pm
Rich,

With my limited knowledge,  Waldner's arm is always tuck close to his body.
There are two different distance for him to execute his forhand.

(1) in the beginning of the youtube,  Waldner stands close to the table, and his movement is huge.  In reality it is not possible, the the big movement, he would have enough recover time.  So this part, he is just get the feel of forehand; Persson feeds very slow; not a real playing stroke.
(2) 1:05 min Waldner stands further away from table.  Walner uses his leg and waist for his forehand control.  The big arm movement is the follow thru needed since stand further away; but still arm tuck close to the body.  I think the main point should be the leg and waist.
(3) 5:50 min Waldner & Persson seems to be open up.  Upper arm still consistly stable.

Tight Form = limit upper arm movement (not using it to reach for the ball), using more leg and waist.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 2:02pm
Hi, miceman, can you please send me where and whom to contact to get coaches in SZ?  I go to that area every year for vacation.

thanks,
tuco

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 2:29pm
Can you speak Mandarin or Cantonese? 

You play Shakehand or Penhold?

Do you  want Coach or Playing Partners?
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 2:45pm
I will be close to Guangzhou for the next year. I plan to get a coach. My wife plays very well also.Smile
lu1648 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lu1648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 4:26pm
man!!! u guys r making me wanna go back to GZ just for ping pong training. i grew up there and now missing the place...
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 8:17pm
Thanks for your analysis miceman.

Regards,
Rich
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Hi, miceman, can you please send me where and whom to contact to get coaches in SZ? thanks,

yeah, i would like to know as well...
thank you...
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/03/2009 at 10:08pm
A contact no. and location address woild be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 12:40am

I speak Cantonese but not Mandarin.  I can understand a little Mandarin.  I need coaching and can go to either GZ or SZ.  You can PM me or post here

thanks in advance.
tuco

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 4:27am
so you guys are all Chinese originally?

As a non asian non chinese speaker would it be worth going there?
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 5:34am
Dayum man!

My coach will probably make me go to China to train for like a month.

I know cantonese but not so much mandarin...do you know if they spoke cantonese there? lol thanks!!
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 9:01am
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

I speak Cantonese but not Mandarin.  I can understand a little Mandarin.  I need coaching and can go to either GZ or SZ.  You can PM me or post here

thanks in advance.
tuco

I dont know if you can read chinese. But in GZ theres this place near tian he. It's a professional high school just for sports, so called olympic factories. The coaches there are available to teach on weekends. I went there when i was a kid for a few years.
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 9:04am
Originally posted by Totoro Totoro wrote:

Dayum man!

My coach will probably make me go to China to train for like a month.

I know cantonese but not so much mandarin...do you know if they spoke cantonese there? lol thanks!!
They should speak canto there. Shenzen is still in guang dong.
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
rokphish View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rokphish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by zwu168 zwu168 wrote:

But in GZ theres this place near tian he. It's a professional high school just for sports, so called olympic factories. The coaches there are available to teach on weekends. I went there when i was a kid for a few years.

where is that place? how does one get there? do you have the address or what not in chinese?
instagram: rokphishtt

Member of EJ Anonymous
Hurricane Lover
miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 1:34pm
The best place in ShenZhen I think is

世纪南华乒乓球俱乐部
地址: 福田区红岭中路2033号3楼 (博爱医院对面)
电话: 0755-8224-6108
www.kyksj.com

check in ditu.google.com , which is map of China.

高 峰 (the guy on the front page) He is my coach.  His loop has a strong forwand bound after landing on the table; this skill he said only possessed by all national team players and a limited number of provincial players.  My coach in Canada sure can't produce this kind of bound.

Another Important Point to Make:  For the money I pay, He teaches me whatever I wanted to learn.  My Canada's coach, like most others, teaches me "what he sees fit".  That is how my beginner skill get all screw up due to his ignorant.  Or may be it is just that my Canada's coach doesn't know much to teach so he want to make the max. money off me just giving me the sh...t.

For this reason alone, it is worth while to go to train in ShenZhen or GuangZhou.  Train in your own way and desire.  After all it is my money; I should be treated like a boss.

Last advice, just do legal taxi (normal taxi trip around the city should be within US$ 4 or RMB 30).  no bus please.  subway is fine if you know where you are going (RMB 2).  annoy all solicitors on the street.  don't give any money to beggers.  hold your backpack in front.  then you should have a safe trip.  western or colored is fine in SZ or GZ since there are many many of them around.
nickkjy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickkjy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 1:42pm
from wad i have heard shenzhen tt is not that good.. if u really wan to go u have to hear from ppl about some places having some 'abilities' and run around. guangzhou is okay.. best if u can go to heilongjiang there..
miceman View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2009 at 1:54pm
If you go to HeiLongJiang, you may well go to Russia during your practice break.
sdkathome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sdkathome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2012 at 8:31pm

Hi,

Sorry for this late reponse

If you still read this, please let me know the contacts you have for the coaching as I want to send my son who is 11 years old for advance coaching

Shailesh
HowToPlayChineseLoop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HowToPlayChineseLoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2014 at 6:40am

sorry but i feel that is a waste to go to china to do some basic drill. (as you have played only for 1 year)
for a beginner, the feeling of the ball is the most important. for it, you can practice without a coach, and then learn the basic stroke (go for a good coach here)

and you are too impressed by the power loop of your coach !
I dont think that only the NCT and few provincial player can do a power loop with a low bounce as you have cited...

table tennis takes time to develope your skill, and I dont think that with 2 -3 weeks of training, you can do such a good thing :) take your time !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic