Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Gatien Extra vs Butterfly Petr Korbel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
snowwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Gatien Extra vs Butterfly Petr Korbel
    Posted: 06/11/2009 at 8:35pm
I'm in the market for a new blade and I kinda narrowed it down to either Yasaka Gatien Extra or Butterfly Petr Korbel.

It looks to me like both are tried and true classics, good looping blades with the Korbel being somewhat faster (OK, probably a lot faster since "extra" and "korbel" are not very often used in the same sentence) but I'm interested in a side by side comparison of the two blades... Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

nick911sc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick911sc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2009 at 8:37pm
If you're saying the  korbel is alot faster than maybe you should look into the Yasaka Extra Offensive to be more comparable.

Sorry I know I didn't really answer your question
YEO Cpen

Xiom Fuga Cpen

Xiom Strato Cpen

Dawei Matrix Cpen

Dawei Quattro A+ FL

chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 1:47am
I played with both in the past (still have them somewhere in my closest.  Got them form megaspin.net and are in very good condition.  If you are interested, let me know).

Korbel:
Faster (but not by much)
More vibration (which I like)
I have the flare handle, it's too small plus the big head make it feels head heavy.

GE:
Slower but easier to lift the ball when looping.
Less vibration but still have plenty of feedback
I have the straight handle and it feels more balance.

At that time, one of my partners was a chopper and GE was my weapon of choice when playing against him, but I did better with the Korbel against non-chopper (faster blocking/smashing).
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
snowwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 8:28am
Originally posted by nick911sc nick911sc wrote:

If you're saying the  korbel is alot faster than maybe you should look into the Yasaka Extra Offensive to be more comparable...

To be honest, Nick, I was pretty much set on the GE, but some say this blade is slower than its rating would indicate. That's why I wanted it compared with a slightly faster blade but I had no clue what slightly means in this context, I don't really want to have to adapt my strokes/game to the new blade...

@chu_bun

Thanks a lot for your review, chu_bun, I also like blades with a lot of feedback and control and at this point I'm leaning towards GE (I'm looking for a flared handle though).
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 9:56am
I've hit both of them and they are both quality choices.  I will say that Yasaka makes some of the best flared handles.  The Korbel flared feels too squarish for me. 

They both feel fairly light to me.  The Korbel is clearly a faster blade but it does have a fair amount of feedback and control. 

I may be able to hit with the GE some today.  If I can I will post some more info. 
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 2:53pm
The Korbel definitely has more gears.  I'm a Yasaka fan but I would choose the Korbel in this case. 

I prefer a bit heavier blade.  Both of these blades feel light to me but the Gatien feels too light.  It felt a bit out of control when you tried to attack.  My practice partner noted the same thing and felt like he was forced to play a more allround/defensive style. 

I have large hands too, and I prefer a Yasaka FL handle over Butterfly FL.  However, I prefer a Butterfly AN over a Yasaka AN as the AN on the Gatien feels too small. 
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 3:32pm

...if you are a player with some decent skills then go for the Korbel...Yasaka Extra was my favorite blade for a long time, it loops very well, the ball tends to fly on the air, but now without the use of speed glue it's a slow blade...on the other hand Korbel is fast but not a fast off blade, is off in the lower rating of off blades

The two blades you are comparing have different feeling.

Extra is very good close to the table, feeling is great there , Korbel doesn't play so good close but from mid and long distance  is more accurate than Extra.

If you want similar feeling with Yasaka Extra and faster at the same time, almost in the speed of Korbel then go for the Stiga Energy WRB which is an excellent looping blade.   Close to the speed of Korbel (a bit slower) is the Tube Light WRB.

Tube Light is very close to Korbel only with the Tube Light blade your topspins will have more spin.

e-pingpongshop
PongPong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PongPong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 9:58pm
I don't know why so many people like Korbel. I got one but I tried to get rid of it right away. Its handle is short so the end hurts my palm.The vibration is so huge. When I hit the ball, I feel like my hand was electrishocked. The outer plies, limba I think, are so hard. I feel like playing with a carbon blade. It's head heavy so I always feel the blade is heavy no matter what rubbers I put on.  
Dalemil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalemil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2009 at 10:15pm
gg
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 12:15am
I have not tried the Extra, but tried a Korbel and was not hugely impressed. It was fast for me (with Sriver EL) and to me nothing hugely special. I like my cheaper, old style Primorac OFF- better. I have tried the YEO and like that. I feel it is a better choice for comparison with Korbel...but probably a bit stiffer and would be a good choice with medium or softer rubbers. I think this choice depends on you and your style quite a bit.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 12:15am
Originally posted by PongPong PongPong wrote:

I don't know why so many people like Korbel. I got one but I tried to get rid of it right away. Its handle is short so the end hurts my palm.The vibration is so huge. When I hit the ball, I feel like my hand was electrishocked. The outer plies, limba I think, are so hard. I feel like playing with a carbon blade. It's head heavy so I always feel the blade is heavy no matter what rubbers I put on.  
i believe the trick is that u've to find 1 which has the best weight distribution..yeah, u r right that FL handle is kinda small, tiny n short for some ppl n that's why I tried it (FL) b4 I decided to get the An. n ST was not available then. I tried 2 FLs, 1 was <84g n the other was 92g! they were kinda head heavy and it depends on what rbrs u slap on it as well ultimately. My Old frend has Almana/Almana Sound on n it works like charm for him, however the other he has is the new model w/Squarish emblem n it plays crappier than the 1st old model he has. Dunno why, he said.  I've only 1 An. It works perfect 4 me but I can't say it plays superbly compared to other FL or ST, lighter/heavier ones...1 thing for sure is that it doesn't go well w/soft rubbers but it plays nice w/Sriver L, Magna, Optimum MP, IQ, Saviga n LKT Torrrent (either 2.0, 2.1 or even 2.2mm)...
My Czech O buddy even shaved, sanded his OLD PK FL's handle as he said he purposedly wanted the whole thing's weight to swift to the front/head , i.e. more head heavy n he's happy abt it n that 1 is his gem n he has bn playing that 1 for years n years....
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:26am
The korbel has a pretty large head surface.  Plus the weight of the rubbers, it will feel pretty head heavy.  I thought about shaving and sanding the face of the Korbel to make it feel more balance.  In the end, I couldn't get over the FL handle and gave up the idea.  But I think a korbel with a smaller head will make a pretty good racket.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
Team_Vietnam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Team_Vietnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 1:56am
Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

I have not tried the Extra, but tried a Korbel and was not hugely impressed. It was fast for me (with Sriver EL) and to me nothing hugely special. I like my cheaper, old style Primorac OFF- better. I have tried the YEO and like that. I feel it is a better choice for comparison with Korbel...but probably a bit stiffer and would be a good choice with medium or softer rubbers. I think this choice depends on you and your style quite a bit.

You thought the Korbel was fast while you liked the YEO? Am I missing something? lol Sleepy

I am currently using the Korbel with Bryce and Sriver EL and this setup has been working great for me, not too fast but not way too slow either. My rubbers are starting to lose their grip, and when I change, I'm thinking about trying another blade. The YEO crossed my mind, but reading the reviews and ratings, I've decided that it was way too fast for someone like me.

So it looks like the blade that works for some people doesn't necessarily have to work for others. It's all based on a variety of factors including style, stroke, and personal preferences.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon FL
Tibhar Genius 2.0
Stiga Boost TX 2.0

dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 3:24am
Originally posted by Team_Vietnam Team_Vietnam wrote:

Originally posted by dauntless dauntless wrote:

You thought the Korbel was fast while you liked the YEO? Am I missing something? lol Sleepy

Yeah, the YEO did not seem as fast. I have a YEO around 87 grams ST that I glued TSP REAL and also XP 2008. The blade felt more stiff than PK and while fast, it was controllable. Whatever the reason, the PK I tried, everything was going off the end of the table... and it wasn't very controlled oddly. I know it does not make sense. Perhaps that PK was a heavy one... and I know the rubber was brand new and not broken in. Anyway, it was a limited hit, but my 1st impression between these two leads me to the Yasaka blade. I will keep the YEO as an EJ blade. And I am not in any way attracted to the PK as I once was.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
lilactime031 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilactime031 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 4:24am

snowwhite, i forgot to ask

Whish rubbers shall you yse ?

e-pingpongshop
snowwhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowwhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 8:02am
Lots of feedback, thanks a lot everybodySmile

@dauntless:

I was hoping to keep it simple and hence the lack of detail about my style, level, rubbers the blade is gonna be paired with, blade I used before etc... I'm still gonna try to do that, reason being that, while I understand perfectly that for a certain style/level there might be a perfect blade/rubber match, I'm also a firm believer that you're gonna be fine with whatever you choose as long as you keep it within reasonable limits.

So, when time has come to change my old (allround) blade I wanted to go with something with a lot of control and feel, reasonably priced and slightly faster. The new blade had to be all wood, I have played with carbon blades before and while I can (almost) handle the speed, I absolutely hate the feel. "Almost" because I found myself holding back on some shots but then again, I have only played with those fast blades for like 15 minutes, probably not enough to adjust to the fairly large difference in speed...

So, to answer your first question, lilactime031, I think I can adjust my game to fast(er) setups but I don't think I want to have to...

The rubbers I got for my old blade are Gambler Outlaw 2.2 and Mark V 2.0. Never played with the Outlaw before, I chose it because I wanted to speed up my old setup but Mark V has been my backhand rubber of choice since forever...

Again, I apologize if I'm being a little vague, I want to try to keep the "you should go with xxx blade and yyy rubbers" recommendations to a minimum... While I do appreciate them, I have a feeling they will confuse me even more since there are so many good choices out there. And this is the case with pretty much all the equipment recommendation threads I've seen so far: so many recommendations I would be confused if I was the OP... And while I'm sure there is a certain amount of subjectivity, I'm also pretty sure that most (if not all) of them are decent choices...

Thanks again
SW
ryanp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2009 at 12:38pm
gatien extra all the way dude... PK is almost similar to YEO, but i like YEO better if compared to PK.
t05 fx, diamant & wing passion medium
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic