Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stressful in matches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
if7084 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote if7084 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stressful in matches
    Posted: 06/23/2009 at 9:44pm
I have problems being very stressful in all of my matches and would like to know some opinions as to how you can "free" yourself from being stressful going into a match, during a match, end of the match. What can I do and what do you do to help your mental and physical ability to be stress free of matches?
Sponsored Links

sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2009 at 9:50pm
U r stressed b/c ur body is moving faster than mind, so pump your mind up...b/come motivated to win..control the outcome, resistance the temptation to be controlled.
Metallis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2009 at 10:18pm
Sometimes i listen music before playing,it helps a lot.
rupertgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupertgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2009 at 11:01pm
I think stress can be defined as being in resistant to what is happening at the very moment. I find that I get stressed if I really want to win but the points tell a different story: such as playing a lower level player and I'm losing. Maybe try to avoid caring excessively about winning or losing or even neglect looking at the points. Focus at the point at hand or even better - playing each stroke as each ball comes.

Stress comes over us as we become stuck in our heads too much, creating mental images of things such as what will happen if you lose to this person for example. Become aware of thoughts such as; "This cant be happening", "I hate long pimples", "If only he didn't get that net at match point...", "My rating points are going to drop so much" and just play the game we all enjoy. When we are thinking these types of thoughts, we are avoiding thinking of the current game, not allowing us to device strategies to win or correcting our own techniques. Being stressed in-game is a negative spiral: making the probability of losing immensely greater.
729 FX View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 729 FX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2009 at 4:06am
Originally posted by if7084 if7084 wrote:

I have problems being very stressful in all of my matches and would like to know some opinions as to how you can "free" yourself from being stressful going into a match, during a match, end of the match. What can I do and what do you do to help your mental and physical ability to be stress free of matches?

How one free oneself from being stressful
1) going into a match - listen to music, try not thinking about the match too much, do some other thing to occupy the mind.

2) during a match - do not think too much of the match, treat it like another regular training session but with qualified umpires.

3) end of the match - win, no stress; lose, you may get stressed out just thinking about the match. Just go have a beer or two and drink the nights away or think nothing of it and enjoy the company of new found friends or spend the evening/night with your family members/friends.
The Shakehander View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shakehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2009 at 11:00am
Leave all EGOs at home.
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2009 at 11:41am
You could try Prozac...LOL

Nah, just kidding.  Listen to music, relax, joke around, and make fun of people are few things that help me quite a bit.  I still do get the butterfly in the stomach once in a while.  Like I said before, the mentality is the toughest part of any sport and very difficult to train.  You have to play more to figure out your own way to deal with it.

Talent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2009 at 4:48pm
when i�m at tournaments before the matches start, i speak to myself(in my mind xD)how much fun it will be to play and how good i will be whether i loose or not,so you are not stressed about winning or loosing.
whe the match starts i try to focus by warming up, and when i feel im too nervous i *cho* it out,then i feel more free and can focus much better on the game(it also makes more fun when you�re into it)
Blade:BTY TBS
Forehand:Omega 4 Europe max
Backhand:Omega 4 Europe max
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by if7084 if7084 wrote:

Is this during club matches or a tournament?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic