Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

TT Robot Homemade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
EvolutionTTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TT Robot Homemade
    Posted: 06/25/2009 at 3:11pm
Hey all,

did anyone make a TT robot previously? If yes I have a quick question. What servo motor did you use for oscilation and how many degrees. What was the voltage and can you give me a serial number or name?

I am about to finish my home made one. It has ball feed system, double motors that run independently and can go up to 10,000 rpm. Only thing left for me to do is build the servo for ball placement.  I just cant seem to find the right motor and I dont want to spend extra money on buying more DC to pulse convereters.  Optimal voltage would be either 12V or somewhere around 7.2V.

Thanks.

Salamandr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Salamandr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2009 at 4:22pm
Hi, sorry that I cant help you, but do you have some photos of your robot? I peronally made a homemade LCD projetor with solid results so I am curios how did you make it. Thanks for answer
Yasaka Extra 3D
T05 1.9
Baracuda 1.8
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2009 at 8:18pm
Here's someone who has built one:
http://www.tabletennis.gr/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12266&KW=robot
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 11:16am
it doesent look he ever finished it. Also since I dont have table at home I dont want to run it of a PC its just way to many parts to take around with me. It needs to be light weight and easy to transport and set up.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 11:41am
"Hi, sorry that I cant help you, but do you have some photos of your robot? I peronally made a homemade LCD projetor with solid results so I am curios how did you make it. Thanks for answer "

I don't want to make a promisse and then end up not posting because im to lazy to do it.

For now il give you a description.  I am trying to make it out of clear materials so you can see the balls traveling up and being moved around. I used plexyglass tubes for the ball delivery to the top two motors. Currently I have used one of the IKEA clear boxes for housing the boards and ball feed.  I attached a smaller clear box to the top to serve as a ball holding. After I found a great place that has plexiglass sheets I am reconsidering to rebuild the box out of plexiglass for the cool effect. I use 3 motors made for offroad rc cars. They go up to 10 000 rps which is way to much for what I need it to do. I will add one servo motor later to turn the head. Il do that after everything else has been finished. I found some tilt servos kits that could do what I need and basicaly target any spot imaginable on the table.  The 3 motors are DC motors with optimal voltage of 7.2V One motor has a wheel in shape of a star attached to it that will push the balls up the tube and feed them to the throwing wheels. (I will replace them later with brushless motors for longevity and they are extremely quiet.
If you want to experiment with robot you can also try hard drive motors or 12v computer fans. They are brushless however they dont have much torque.  I used a power converter to reduce the power output out of the wall from 110V to 12V. After that I hooked up DC to pulse convereters for each motor and potentiomenters to regulate the motor speed. The best thing about the pulse converters is you can slow the motors down but they dont loose torque at all.  Extending the potentiometer wires you can build a box similar what other robots offer to regulate spins and oscilation. Right now I dont need a controller on the table. It is not hard to do but I just want to get on the robot and have fun.  So my speed and spin regulators will be on the box itself for now.
If i get some extra money I am looking into voice recognition boards that are available for around 100 dollars and can have 20 commands programed into it. I would probably use it for start, stop and starting preprogramed sequences. I am experimenting with some serial conections and writting a vb code but thats all down the road.

I started the project just for fun and so far I spent about $200 dollars in parts and its looking very promissing. I am not going to buy a catch net for
$75 instead il probably use the military mosquito netting. Its light weight and I can probably create something to colapse and unpack for mobility.

I am thinking also of making one part of the tube insulated with cloth that will clean any dust off balls as they pass through so I can take out and clean after use.

Thats it.

Wow I wrote a ton..........
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 12:10pm

Sounds pretty cool, Evo.  Have you seen the gravity-fed (no a/c power) TT robot made by this guy from Georgia Tech? Google it on youtube.  It was nice although simple and limited.  Yours is more of the commercial kinds.  I'd love to see the plans if you're willing to share them.  Sometimes, I want to play but don't feel like driving.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 12:33pm

yes I saw it its fun project. I tried finding help when I started but there is just nothing on the net related directly to table tennis robots. The best things you can find are the shematics on the newgy page. The most help I found is from the pictures of robots either on this forum or net that had opened covers and showing different ball feed systems. There are actually 3 different ways to push the ball up. I choose the wheel it appeared the most logic way. 

When I post the picture of the first model you will be able to see all the components inside. (second model will be plexyglass not ikea junk box lol)

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 2:28pm
Yeah, if you search on youtube for "table tennis or ping pong robot", you'll see that Georgia Tech project and some guy with a box of balls hanging on a ceiling.  The rest are toy robots that "fire" ping pong balls from their weapons.  So yeah, I know what you mean when you say there's not much help out there.  Hopefully, you can change that.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2009 at 7:43pm
EvoTTC  sounds cool!   Let me know if you need help.  I have a R/C background as well.  There is one youtube vid I recall seeing of a guy that used R/C electronics and made a great robot.  It was by far the best home made one I have ever seen.....dummy me for not tagging it. 

It had great ball speed and I think it also had a rotating head.  The servos used didn't look large.  It all depends on how lightweight your throwing head is per size and strength of any servos/gears used for rotation of head and possible vertical angle. 

Are you going to have a dual throwing wheel setup using some 540 cans?  What will you use for the actual wheel itself?  If the wheels are light enough, the 540's should have enough torque. 

Yes, the simple large gear/sprocket ball pushing system should be the most simple and ample way to go I think.  A smaller motor could be geared off to do that function.

You could make a simple catch net out of netting and some small diameter pvc tubes. 

Good luck on your project..hope it turns out well. 

vader555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vader555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2009 at 8:43am
this one from georgia tech..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSh2F42pXZI

this one..??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX5iDRLwtkE&feature=related

< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">
< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" ="">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2009 at 8:17pm

Thanks Rich215. The PVC idea for net is great il jump on it tomorow. Actualy I just got the wheels today. I ordered them from servocity.com they are 2.5" diameter foam wheels. Pair is like $16 I beleive. Today I tested one of the motors it is definitly too fast to be reduced to what I need. I got it down from 10 000 to about 1 per sec but its to fast with the size of the wheel I have. I will use this one as replacement and just buy what I should have done in the first place. 300 rpm one for the ball feed. I tested one wheel today just if it had grabing power and sure enough it does. I need new circular drill the one I got made the whole to small for the wheels to effectivly grab the ball while passing throught the plexiglass tube.  I will keep you updated on the progress. Also my soldering is giving me some truble on the tiny tiny chips for the pulse converter. I am very close though next week it should be finished.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvolutionTTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2009 at 9:51am

Quick update if anyone cares ........The robot is almost done just working out a small problem with the ball feed. I am expecting to have it resolved by the weekend.  Oscilation and tilt plus the remote control will be added later as an upgrade. I may be posting some in production pictures very soon.

pitviper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2010 at 7:24pm
I know this post is old, but does anybody have any new insight on making their own decent homemade ping pong robot?
ttcyfi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttcyfi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2010 at 8:53pm
Would making a omemade robot cost more or less than purchasing a brand name new or used robot?
GO MUSTANGS!
pnachtwey View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnachtwey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2010 at 2:20am
It would cost much more if you count your time.
Spinaldo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinaldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2010 at 11:02pm
Great deals available right now for a real robot from Newgy, for a limited time only.

http://newgy.com/c-5-robots.aspx

Blade: Friendship V-6 Aramid Carbon FL
FH: Red 2.2mm Haifu Whale III (Training)
BH: Black max Juic Nanocannon
joebulatao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/2010 at 6:04pm
Here is my ping pong robot enclosed within a laundry hamper bought from Walmart.

joe
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:02am
For those interested there is another thread where Joe posted to today and the videos showing his creations are also very interesting:

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35838&PID=463837&title=ball-catch-net-design-competition#463837

Thanks for sharing Joe Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:18am
I like to sharing everything I build that is pingpong related to all pingpong lovers and you are definitely welcome to publish it or share it with all your friends. Of all my creations, I am very proud of my -World's Best Picker Upper  which was featured in the USATT newsletter Oct 23. Would you like me to make you one or two ?
joe
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:38am
I would love to own one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 1:51am
email me at   mypingpongbuddy@embarqmail.com
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 2:21am
done
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/2010 at 5:16am
Very innovative engineeringSmile
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
RJTT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RJTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2010 at 10:49pm
I am all for a good "project" but with the price of some decent robots I am not sure it is worth it in the long run to try and make one. You can find a nice new Newgy for $199.00, Ipong for less and also some great deals on Bay on used come up often.
Not trying to discourage anyone but I think in the end it is cheaper to just buy one unless you are getting into making double wheel models or something else of an upgrade over the ones on the market in that price range. I would love to add a wheel to the one I have and might tackle that project sometime.

Edited by RJTT - 10/31/2010 at 10:50pm
markg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 4:32pm
Hi Joe,

I saw you video - it is pretty cool!

I am working on my own project to modify Newgy 1050 robot to have:
- top and bottom wheels (speed and spin)
- oscillation (servo - already exists)
- pitch control (servo)
- spin type (step motor) - will rotate robot's head 180 deg. in increments of 15 deg

To accomplish this I decouple feed mechanism from robot's head.

I will retain ball feed part and will build new head with 2 wheels, oscillation and pitch.

All this will be controlled by FEZ Panda II board with Adafruit Motor Shield with 4 line LCD.

Can share your design of top wheel and where to purchase the parts.

Thanks,
- Mark G.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joebulatao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 6:30pm
Hi Markg,

Good luck in modifying the Newgy for a two-wheel operation. I say its is better to just do what I did - mount motor wheels on each side of a 1  1/2 pvc tube. The launching motors ccomes complete with motor, wheel and enclosure. I bought them new  from a store that was closing down. I do not know where you can buy them now. Email me at joebulatao@gmail.com

joe

neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/02/2012 at 6:33pm
I've thought about that, too. I'd love to know how yours works out. I have a 1050 and love that it can change the motor speed during the rally. However, no loop! So I bought a SuperMaster from China. About $500. I switched the wiring around on one of the motors so they now both spin the same direction for slow loops. That combined with the variation of the Newgy-- realistic loops with varying spin?! That would be amazing. Good luck.
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic