Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Loop Spin and No Spin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loop Spin and No Spin
    Posted: 08/16/2009 at 12:11pm
Heard lots of people said sometimes loop spinny ball and sometimes loop no spin ball. How to do that? Using wrist and no wrist? If no wrist, what about incoming backspin is very heavy?
Confused!
FH:Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH:Donic Acuda S1 Max
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC (flare)
Sponsored Links

chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 1:41pm
Wrist is always helpful.  It generates spin.  But adding spin is less necessary when returning an incoming ball with strong topspin, because the spin is already there and you can steal it.  If it has no spin or backspin, you will have to add your own if you want your ball to have good speed and a nice arc.

Easiest to remember is to always try to add some spin.  The more difficult factor is the angle of your paddle.  For topspin, angle your bat  more forward.  As topspin decreases and backspin increases, you need to angle your bat less forward and eventually backward.
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 2:09pm
If the oncoming shot has a lot of topspin, try aiming the counter loop into the net.  If the shot has backspin, try aiming the loop to hit a little off the table.

I change the angle of the loop NOT by changing my stroke as much as by changing the angle of my upper body / upper arm / shoulder.  My coach does not yell at me for that.

A lot of times, disguising the amount of spin put on the ball can cause the opponent to misread the shot. 

chocolate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

If the oncoming shot has a lot of topspin, try aiming the counter loop into the net.  If the shot has backspin, try aiming the loop to hit a little off the table.

I change the angle of the loop NOT by changing my stroke as much as by changing the angle of my upper body / upper arm / shoulder.  My coach does not yell at me for that.

A lot of times, disguising the amount of spin put on the ball can cause the opponent to misread the shot. 

I disagree with your language. 

Until one gains a feel for the game, one needs to think more specifically.  Aim off of the table?  There are many ways to do that.  One is to hit harder, which actually does help and is very effective if the ball is above the table.  Another way is to add less topspin - not a good idea.  Another way is to change racket angle, and this is usually the best technique in addition to adding spin which causes  the ball to not go long.

Use these techniques against spin, but tell yourself that you are aiming for where you are actually hoping for the ball to land.
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 5:03pm
No spin balls are just fake-spins. It's doing nothing with the ball only hitting forwards without spin (and making a fake-loop), o yeah, you need to train for that. And it's very very very, useful against pimple-users.

And with heavy back/underspin... Just push it back with the littlest/less possible spin. I tested to day.. If you do a slow-topspin and you do a littlest/less possible spin back, you get a no-spin (so a fake-spin).

At least you need ball feeling for using spin and play against/with spin balls.
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2009 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by chocolate chocolate wrote:

Originally posted by silverhair silverhair wrote:

I disagree with your language. 

Until one gains a feel for the game, one needs to think more specifically.  Aim off of the table?  There are many ways to do that.  One is to hit harder, which actually does help and is very effective if the ball is above the table.  Another way is to add less topspin - not a good idea.  Another way is to change racket angle, and this is usually the best technique in addition to adding spin which causes  the ball to not go long.

Use these techniques against spin, but tell yourself that you are aiming for where you are actually hoping for the ball to land.

I suppose everything is relative.  I'm not talking about hitting the side walls or putting out the eye of an opponent.  I'm talking about hitting the loop longer as if aiming at a point beyond the table.  If sorta makes sense that if you're consistently hitting OFF the table, maybe better ball placement is somewhat shorter than the center of the barrier.  When hitting a ball with heavy topspin, its better to try to "loop inti the net" as my coach says.  That means closing the blade face to counter the effects of the spin and following through with the stroke.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 12:38am
this reminds me. I was watching WTTC 2005 WLQ vs OSE, courtesy of euro sport live.

WLQ performed what looked like an opening loop, and looked to be a high arcing one, and Oh Sang hit it into the net. the commentator said it was what was referred to as a dummy loop, and said.... "No spin on that topspin"

wth is up with this?
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 2:25am
You just hit it up without looping it.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 2:37am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

this reminds me. I was watching WTTC 2005 WLQ vs OSE, courtesy of euro sport live.

WLQ performed what looked like an opening loop, and looked to be a high arcing one, and Oh Sang hit it into the net. the commentator said it was what was referred to as a dummy loop, and said.... "No spin on that topspin"

wth is up with this?

Fake spin. Or WLQ hit the ball with his finger.LOL
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/17/2009 at 3:04am
No spin loop, dummy loop, some call it lift shot is a stroke which is performed like an ordinary loop. backswing, hit, follow trough.. but instead of imparting topspin into the ball by grazing it, you lift the ball with power without grazing the ball so it looks like a loop but there's little or no topspin on it.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/18/2009 at 11:59pm
still no one answer me whether wrist is used or not. Please.
FH:Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH:Donic Acuda S1 Max
Butterfly Innerforce ZLC (flare)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic