Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thick blade vs thin blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thick blade vs thin blade
    Posted: 09/04/2009 at 8:56am
any difference if using thick blade or thin blade?
i always use 5.5~6.0mm thick blade only like Maze,TBS,MJ,Acoustic etc.
so i want to know if any difference in stroke or hit timing that must be made if i want to use thick blade?
Sponsored Links

Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 10:07am
The timing doesn't change because of the blade, neither should the stroke as far as I know. What does change is the vibration feedback and often need to get used to being able to push well with a wider ( thicker ) bat.

Depending on properties of the blade, you'll need to adjust some slight angles if speed of the ball changes.
Back to table tennis...
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 10:42am
GENERALLY,

Thick is better for hitting,
Thin is better for looping.

Of course there are always exceptions to any rule.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
unagidon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unagidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 11:05am
i notice(maybe i'm wrong), chinese penholders use thinner blades, shankhanders use thicker blades.
kong linghui special: bluefire jp01 / rakza x

my feedback
ErikaT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 11:12am
i prefer thinner blades which look better
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2009 at 11:32am
I played (as in playing around) with a thick 9mm 1ply and hit the edge of the blade more often.  But I think it is psychological, you think you may hit that huge edge, your swing slows down, and then you do hit the edge!

For the blades that I own, it's true that thinner better for looping, thicker better for hitting.
Loop: TBS > Clipper > 1ply
Hit: 1ply > Clipper > TBS

Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
whirlwind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whirlwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2009 at 11:40pm
imho thinner blade is good for looping & at the same time it looks better. Tongue
MarcelBoyBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcelBoyBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2009 at 10:04pm
I use a Joola Kool, which has a 10mm thick head. It does need some getting used to. I used to be on a Donic Persson Dotec OFF, which is a lot thinner, when I first shifted to Joola Kool, my first few hours playing, I did get a lot of errors.

The most noticeable difference would be the vibration, or absence of it that is. Helps in positioning blocks as the racket doesn't recoil when blocking hard smashes. Good for smashing too, you can feel the solid hit on the ball. Great sound as well.

But that's just for the Joola Kool. I have another 10mm racket that is all wood, 1 ply Ayous, although feels the same and has almost as little vibration as the Kool, but the sound and feel is very different.

I didn't change any of my strokes from using the thinner blade. As I said, just needed some getting used to. Mid-distance looping is still very effective on these thicker blades.
http://gallery.jml-i.com
http://www.singleshutter.com
ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2009 at 10:18pm
One thing I noticed... when I did a slow, brush loop shot, I miss more with a thinner blade, at first. I got used to it after about 2 weeks. The "touch" on that shot is critical. Not much room for error. Just about any change in thickness, blade, or rubber, will change the depth perception for those touch shots.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic