FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Ma Long's new blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ksarot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ma Long's new blade
    Posted: 10/18/2009 at 1:46pm
From latest world cup 2009.

Sponsored Links

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 2:21pm
its a timo boll spirit, and it has been for the last...i wanna say year..? xD

a long time he has been using TBS.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound
GBtabletennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBtabletennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 2:26pm
I know it earlier too! But his TBS sounds really great.
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 3:05pm
H3 on a TBS.

Hmmm..
DeathAngel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 3:07pm
I have tried H3 on TBS and it works wonders. I think a 39deg sponge is a good combo maybe 40. And i also tried Ten05 on TBS and it was pretty good 2.

And yes Ma Long has been using TBS for a while now and seems to be working pretty well for him
Korbel ST
H3 Neo 2.2
Desto F3 2.0

USA: 1522
CAN: 809
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 3:09pm
I've never tried a TBS, but always wanted to. It must be a pretty great blade for like half the world to use it.

I know its really good with T05 though.
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by DeathAngel DeathAngel wrote:

I have tried H3 on TBS and it works wonders. I think a 39deg sponge is a good combo maybe 40. And i also tried Ten05 on TBS and it was pretty good 2.

And yes Ma Long has been using TBS for a while now and seems to be working pretty well for him

H3 on TBS does not work wonder with everyone. technically it shouldn't be that good of a combo, dunno why ma long is using it. TBS is too crisp and hard (yes actually) to suit H3. But ma long might need some extra speed from the carbon, he doesn't really supply much power. hes just fast moving and consistent plus many other good qualities. 40 sponge would normally be too hard for TBS, but i have no idea about your level. it might be good enough.

I would like to add that my Hurricane King is currently half broke, and the crack is getting bigger every time i look at it. so i have currently two choices for back up: OCCR or TBS. I choose the TBS because OCCR is simply not enough for me. so im playing with TBS+H3+Bryce, and im playing unglued now cause i think it makes a little more sense than playing those rubbers with HK unglued. anyway, its not that great a combo for me. Opening loops are more difficult. cant drive as much as HK. also, away from the table it has more speed yes, but i feel that composite is also more inconsistent than all wood. also the feel is weird cuz of carbon, and finally the handle is too thin.
Butterfly Viscaria
Team_Vietnam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Team_Vietnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

H3 on TBS does not work wonder with everyone. technically it shouldn't be that good of a combo, dunno why ma long is using it. TBS is too crisp and hard (yes actually) to suit H3. But ma long might need some extra speed from the carbon, he doesn't really supply much power. hes just fast moving and consistent plus many other good qualities. 40 sponge would normally be too hard for TBS, but i have no idea about your level. it might be good enough.

Actually, I beg to differ. Ma Long is a beast, he blows winners past everyone with his huge forehand loop. He supplies more power than his fellow Chinese teamates for sure, and he has a consistent backhand hit/block and his footwork and speed is pretty good too. That's what makes him better than a lot of pros and a world class player. The only thing he lacks IMHO is experience, he chokes and loses to Wang Hao, who is more consistent and more experienced. (And Vladi) lol

But I agree with you, in theory, a TBS and H3 is not supposed to be a dream combo, but then again, certain things work for certain people even if it does not work for the majority. Maybe hard blade + hard chinese rubber requires good technique and strong chinese loop to get the best out of it, and who better can do it but Ma Long?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon FL
Tibhar Genius 2.0
Stiga Boost TX 2.0

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Team_Vietnam Team_Vietnam wrote:

Actually, I beg to differ. Ma Long is a beast, he blows winners past everyone with his huge forehand loop. He supplies more power than his fellow Chinese teamates for sure, and he has a consistent backhand hit/block and his footwork and speed is pretty good too. That's what makes him better than a lot of pros and a world class player. The only thing he lacks IMHO is experience, he chokes and loses to Wang Hao, who is more consistent and more experienced. (And Vladi) lol

But I agree with you, in theory, a TBS and H3 is not supposed to be a dream combo, but then again, certain things work for certain people even if it does not work for the majority. Maybe hard blade + hard chinese rubber requires good technique and strong chinese loop to get the best out of it, and who better can do it but Ma Long?

Ye ma long does have a BEA-UTIFUL technique! but i have to say that i dont agree 100% with the power issue. He has speed and everything, but you can see when he plays JOO. Dont you think? But omg what strokes! T_T
Butterfly Viscaria
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 6:29pm
Ma Long gets a lot of blade on his loops... He's basically smashing with topspin, so his combo is good. People that loop more with a closed blade, like your average European pro will probably find H3 and TBS too hard. That's my guess, at least.

Besides that, I'm sure he's boosting the heck out of his H3, making it a lot more playable on a crisp composite blade like the TBS.

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 6:49pm
I'm surprised to see how many leading players are using a TBS (including its handle).
My TBS was hard as hell and all out quick. Now I'm using an ALC and find it significantly slower and softer, making it much easier to play with (T05). Do you guys agree with me (some people say the TBS and the ALC are identical)?
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

I'm surprised to see how many leading players are using a TBS (including its handle).
My TBS was hard as hell and all out quick. Now I'm using an ALC and find it significantly slower and softer, making it much easier to play with (T05). Do you guys agree with me (some people say the TBS and the ALC are identical)?

what they say is they are very similar. The thing is, people was really excited over the "new" boll series. ALC, ZLC, ZLF. you name it. and timo boll was backing up the ALC name. so all the EJs rushed to get it. The big disappointment was that they were reeeeeally similar.

The difference you feel, might not even be from the different blade models, but the fact that they are actual different blades, in case no blade is exactly (underlined) the same as anyone else. Or it may be cuz you have a good hand feel and can feel the difference.
Butterfly Viscaria
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Team_Vietnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2009 at 11:36pm

Ye ma long does have a BEA-UTIFUL technique! but i have to say that i dont agree 100% with the power issue. He has speed and everything, but you can see when he plays JOO. Dont you think? But omg what strokes! T_T

Yeah, but then again, most people have trouble playing Joo, he's a looper's nightmare! LOL Ma Lin has trouble, Zhang Jike has the consistency and beautiful strokes but not that killer instinct, even Wang Liqin has problems with Joo time to time. But yeah, I see what you mean.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon FL
Tibhar Genius 2.0
Stiga Boost TX 2.0

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 12:34am
I agree completely with asaomi about ma long and power.

He has less power than Chen Qi, WLQ, and Ma Lin. I dont see how, but I have heard from a few province players that he is missing something in his FH power, and ZJK isn't. They all said ZJK's FH is superior. But it's clear for sure that his power isn't the same as those three players.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 2:21am
I partially agree with Beeray1, Ma Long's FH is not that powerful compared to WLQ or Chen Qi.  But watching Zhang JK played, he seemed to have less powerful FH compared to Ma Long. I even think Zhang's FH is as weak as Jun's FH (in world level play)

One thing for sure, Chinese coaches seem to trust Ma Long earlier (compared to Zhang), so they must see something that we, as mortal players, don't see in him.
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 2:31am
Look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC5KlSoiwq8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYDV_67r38s
I find it's hard to believe that ML's FH has less power than ZJK's.  Probably less spinney, but that may be a good thing against a chopper. 

I also one of those that like hard Chinese rubbers on TBS.  I'm quite surprise that most people think Clipper has more flex than TBS.  I use both and for looping against choppers, I'll definitely pick my TBS.
Clipper Wood, Sanwei Gears FH, Sanwei T88-I BH.
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 8:09am
new blade ... ... TBS
How about rubber ??
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
wysman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wysman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 11:15am
Originally posted by ksarot ksarot wrote:

From latest world cup 2009.

just for comparation, this is the TBS i got from butterfly.

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 11:23am
there was already no question its TBS.

I know he's using H3.. but idk for BH.

tenergy probably.
dragon kid View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dragon kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 11:32am
In the other thread, his BH rubber clearly has the orang-ish color of Tenergy Spring sponge.. some said he uses the 64 for BH.
655H3PClassicAcudaS1
'Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody'
wealthweb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wealthweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 12:07pm
Are Ma Long's blade and rubbers custom made specifically for him by the manufacturer; therefore, different from the ones we buy from the suppliers?
Eric Yu
1st Blade: KTS Red + Omega II, Tenergy 64
2nd Blade: Butterfly Haruvatart-S ZL Carbon + Omega III, Tenergy 05
Dream Blade:Special Cypress Custom (Special Royal Treasure Art Product)+ Narucr
ksarot View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksarot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 12:22pm
Thanks wysman, I knew it is TBS of course. I'm a fan of TBS and i have one .

Dose anyone know about ,dose Ma Long sign contract with butterfly yet?
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by ksarot ksarot wrote:

Thanks wysman, I knew it is TBS of course. I'm a fan of TBS and have one .

Dose anyone know about ,dose Ma Long sign contract with butterfly yet?

Would he be all over Butterfly if he was signed with them?
Butterfly Viscaria
zwu168 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwu168 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Team_Vietnam Team_Vietnam wrote:

il have to agree with asomi. ma long's forehand needs an extra boost, its not so great compare to the last generation. his strong point is that he is very consistent, keep the huge rally going. H3+TBS is fine for him because he has enough power to penetrate the blade.
OC WRB
FH: Hurricane 2
BH: CJ8000
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Team_Vietnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2009 at 8:25pm
Zwu168,
Maybe Ma Long's forehand is not so great as last generation is because of the glue ban? Still, watching him blast gigantic forehand loops even without glue (maybe tuner though, who really knows?) is impressive. I just don't see that killer spark in Wang Liqin anymore, definitely not in Ma Lin anymore either.

Zhang Jike is a pleasure to watch and he is talented without a doubt, but when people say he has a more powerful forehand than Ma Long for the sole reason of "the Chinese province players say he has a stronger FH loop," I tend to disagree. 

I do see a more powerful and at the same time consistent forehand from Wang Hao these days, thus the reason he is #1 (power and consistency).
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon FL
Tibhar Genius 2.0
Stiga Boost TX 2.0

stefanoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stefanoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2009 at 5:23am
I agree with Team_Vietnam,

Ma Long has a pretty powerful Forehand, Boll and Matsudaira had serious problems blocking it and they are very good blocker.
The only one who probably is able to produce more powerful forehands is Wang Hao and I think that the key is that Wang Hao timing is perfect for generating power using the opponent spin and speed. This is also the only way Ma Long is challenged consistently IMHO.

http://www.chopong.com

blade: Timo Boll Spirit
fh: Blufire M1
bh: Acuda S2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic