Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Baracuda - Petermoo reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Baracuda - Petermoo reviews
    Posted: 10/27/2009 at 2:26pm

Is it just me or does the search feature on Mytt.net not work?

I have been trying to find reviews of this rubber from Donic for a while now and although I have seen a few threads mention the thingy nobody seems to have given a review at all!

The word on the street is that the rubber shares the same DNA with fellow newbies Hexer and Nianmor all being products of ESN.

From pictures I have seen of the sponges of all these rubbers they all look very similar (suspiciously similar) to the Spring sponge used in Butterfly's super rubber 'Tenergy'.

Now heres my deal on Tenergy (well at least 05 and 64); nice muted glue feel, good speed, really good spin, too high throw, and most of all way too heavy.
Rubber weight is a deal breaker for me so I have been waiting for Tenergy light (now going to be called T64FX in 2010).

So in comes Baracuda, with Donic making claims of super spin and high arcs etc, sounds very tenergistic to me ( not necessarily a good thing).
Straight out of the pack the red rubber has a lot of sheen and looks to be more synthetic rubber than the natural rubber in tenergy closer to boost topsheet.
It doesnt seem to have as grippy a surface but its grippier than any other tensor I've ever tried.
The banana yellow sponge feels very rough to the touch just like Tenergy and the whole sheet is noticeably lighter than the T64 which is also in my bag.
The whole rubber has a jelly like feel to it just like the tenergy as well. when you shake it, you can fell the whole vibration in it, something that was previously unique to the Tenergy up to now.
Ok so how does it play?
Well tonight I'm taking the Baracuda out for a spin (pardon the pun) so Ill be posting my findings soon.

Petermoo

Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 3:46pm
Peter, use this one

http://tabletennis-search.choices-guide.com/table_tennis_forum_search.htm

it works much more reliably...

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
cmugica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmugica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 4:49pm
I can't wait for the review.

Thank you.
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 4:55pm
nianmore doesn't share the same dna ... nor is it from ESN
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 5:34pm
Look forward to your review as I've been tempted by this rubber my self.
The holy grail
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 9:37pm
Here is the news.
Donic makes a big deal about the flight of this rubber and the vicious spin its supposed to impart.
They give it a 10+ for spin and a 10- for speed.
I think they are about right on the spin (maybe a 10) but I cant see 10- for the speed. I didnt find the Baracuda at all fast, it lacks bounciness and its not even close to Butterflys Spring sponge at all. I give it a 9- for speed.
Donic is usually quite reliable in thier own rubber ratings but on this rubber I gotta say its slower than that.
I made a couple of loop drives and I can confirm it does have a high throw( not quite the exaggerated cartoon loops from T05, but pretty arcy) I mage a couple of sidespin loops and my partner commented on the viciousness of the spin and the curve.
So its pretty spinny, i was hoping for more power because, hey man, In this no glue era, I'm not exactly looking for more control, I'm looking for power!
Serves were pretty decent, maybe about the same as I got from the Boost TP I've been trying lately short game and blocking were really natural feeling , no challenge there, very predictable very stable but I found after my session I was very tired from trying to swing harder to get some juice out of the Baracuda.
There's a little sound too but not as loud as Tenergy, its a bit muted.
Not for my forehand.
Maybe a good backhand rubber even though I like a bit more bounciness there also.
I think this rubber is probably better for all those intermediate players who are buying Tenergy and having a difficulty controlling it as the Baracuda handles incoming spin quite easily in comparison.
So there it is.
Day one with the Baracuda, Ill try it again tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.
Petermoo

Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 10:08pm
A friend of mine had some baracuda on his blade and I tried it out for a few minutes. As Petermoo said it's definitely got lots of spin, but the speed is a bit lacking. It's not slow but you really have to lean into it to get a penetrating loop drive .  My friend hit some top spins to me and like Tenergy they really kick up  of the table making it tricky to counter them back. I could not get comfortable flat hitting with my T64, so I tried a few smashes with the Baracuda and they seemed a bit easier to land than with the Tenergy. The rubber felt noticeably stiffer than T64, but these are only quick impressions.

Blade

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

nianmore doesn't share the same dna ... nor is it from ESN
Whoops!
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 10:28pm
off topic, but i was wondering petermoo if you ever played with ernest virgo.

he is running a club in my state now

http://www.hartfordtt.com/hartfordtt/content/pwloc
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by murrayblhrc murrayblhrc wrote:

Yes i have had many duels with Ernest Virgo back in his heyday.
We last played in the finals of a tournament in the National Arena of Jamaica maybe 8 years ago.
He's a great sportsman and an exemplary gentleman. He is a legend to this day in the town where he is from.
Say hello for me.
Petermoo
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 11:09pm
Peter, what are you actually using nowadays? J.O. Platinum?
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2009 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Like the great Samsonov, it changes day to day.
In the club, for maximum pleasure (and power) , I would use speed glued Hammond (FH) and  F2 (BH).
In competition I would use JO Gold (FH) and Silver (bh).
Petermoo
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 12:30am
Good review. I'm not really interested in this rubber, but I like the review. This is the first time I've read someone mention Tenergy's jelly-like wobbling. No one talks about Tenergy's vibration.

I'm not using Tenergy right now, but when I was, I just let it flop down the first time I put it on the blade to cut it... Previously I rolled it on/stretched it on tight, but when you take it off after doing that it shrinks 360� and you can never make it fit again on the sides because free glue doesn't expand the rubber... So I found just letting it flop down works good, but it also adds to the vibration.

Hammond Beta should be interesting.
hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 1:45am
Peter,

A mutual friend of ours, Stephen Grant, seems to love Silver and Joola Mambo. I'd find your impressions of Silver very interesting. How does it compare to F2 as a backhand instrument.

HL
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 2:25am
which blade you play petermoo?

speed is never a problem as you can adjust to a faster blade. spin with dwell time is the difficult one where rubbers struggle. bounciness in short game ... is it good or bad.. ? i thought it's terrible particulary when you have a 1900 or above short pip player as opponent.
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 8:34am
Now u just need to review Tibhar Genius Tongue
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

In the club, for maximum pleasure (and power) , I would use speed glued Hammond (FH) and  F2 (BH).
Petermoo

You don't have a hard time switching back to a legal setup after a nice speed glued setup?

@deb, I believe Peter uses Gergely carbon (the old kind and not 21) 
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 1:24pm
Thanks for the review petermoo!
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by murrayblhrc murrayblhrc wrote:

Yes i have had many duels with Ernest Virgo back in his heyday.
We last played in the finals of a tournament in the National Arena of Jamaica maybe 8 years ago.
He's a great sportsman and an exemplary gentleman. He is a legend to this day in the town where he is from.
Say hello for me.
Petermoo

Seen Ernest play at Quincy, MA a couple of months back. Still looks good!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 3:07pm

Petermoo

You don't have a hard time switching back to a legal setup after a nice speed glued setup?

@deb, I believe Peter uses Gergely carbon (the old kind and not 21) 
Yes I do use a gergely carbon blade and at any given time I actually have 3 or 4 of these blades which I use interchangeably.
To answer Debs point about the speed coming from the blade, i dont think I can get much faster than a Gergely nor could I control it!
The balance and weight of the blade is something which I am extremely sensitive to and even though I will experiment with forehand rubbers , I will not easily surrender my blade nor backhand rubber for any other.
I am very anxious to get my hands on Hammond Beta which should by now be available in japan.
It is difficult swithching back and forth but to tell you the truth, Playing without glue is a lot less fun for me as is watching the game nowadays but we have to do what we have to do.
Petermoo

petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Ndragon88 Ndragon88 wrote:

Now u just need to review Tibhar Genius Tongue
I might have a sheet in a few days! so seriously it might happen.
petermoo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2009 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by hubie60 hubie60 wrote:

Peter,

A mutual friend of ours, Stephen Grant, seems to love Silver and Joola Mambo. I'd find your impressions of Silver very interesting. How does it compare to F2 as a backhand instrument.

HL
Silver is slightly softer than F2 and slightly faster. They seem about the same weight. I think Silver is a bit less spinny on my backhand strokes. Because I am used to tuning my F2 which makes it slightly softer and slightly faster, theoretically we should not have a problem with unglued silver.
This works fine for me in counterhitting and attacking but i find I am somehat less reliable in blocking and pushing (both very important to my game).
because I have been using F2 for years, I am able to play a lot of outside the textbook strokes such as sidespin, off centre blocking . Waldi cuts and fishing strokes that i cannot yet perform with silver. maybe with time they will come but the extra springiness of silver is a negative for me in the defensive phase of the game.
the flipside is that Silver is superior for backhand loops, and topspin kick strokes (think ma Long or Timo).
Petermoo
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 1:47am
happens to see this forum again.. if anyone knows baracuda's weight
as heavy as tenergys? good for a backhand rubber?

regards.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:28am
It's not a light rubber. About the same as Tenergy 64. I've used for 3 months as a backhand rubber before Boost TC. I have exactly the same feeling as Petermoo about this rubber.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
zheyi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zheyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:48am
i see.. thank you..
ejmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 3:38pm

I think petermoos review are valid having the gergely blade reference.

I agree that gergely (both gergely and the 21) is not the good blade to tenergys. In fact it is one of the very few blades i do not like t05 in fh.

so powersponge type rubbers are suppossed to also have issues with gergely and probably the blade still is missing a better rubber.

so petermoos reviews are very good with gergely reference but i do not think are valid to some other blades.

gergely is a quite unique blade and it is not a standard reference blade. it is a difficult blade to match with rubbers.

t05 or barracuda maybe does not play well with a gergely. But t05 plays like hell with a tbalc or a ludeack power. having the right technique to handle.

Edited by ejmaster - 06/25/2010 at 4:12pm
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

It's not a light rubber. About the same as Tenergy 64. I've used for 3 months as a backhand rubber before Boost TC. I have exactly the same feeling as Petermoo about this rubber.
I disagree. I think it is definitely a few grams lighter than Tenergy 64.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 5:09pm
So, maybe rubber was the heavier in the batch..Ermm

You can also check here:

Baracuda Black max sponge: 70,4g uncut
Baracuda Black 2.0 sponge: 65g uncut

while..

Tenergy 64 black 2.1: 69,3 g uncut and 66g uncut (other sample)

Edited by AMonteiro - 06/25/2010 at 5:14pm
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Klaus123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaus123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2010 at 8:46pm

I think this rubber is probably better for all those intermediate players who are buying Tenergy and having a difficulty controlling it as the Baracuda handles incoming spin quite easily in comparison.
That is what i think too. Baracuda ist easier to play than Tenergy. It is easier to drive, counterdrive, to shoot, to smash and everything with bad timing works more forgiving. It has less spin, but still satisfying. Tenergy has a better spin arc, but when topspin is not your main stroke, you probably better go with Baracuda & co. And, by the way, the difference to Genius is marginal. Both are roughly the same.

Edited by Klaus123 - 06/25/2010 at 9:27pm
ninglei23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninglei23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2011 at 2:16am
what do you think is better baracuda or acuda s2?

Yinhe V-14
FH:Xiom Vega Pro
BH:Donic Baracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic