Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acoustic vs. Violin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acoustic vs. Violin
    Posted: 12/17/2009 at 2:24pm
I'm curious about the differences between these two. If any of you have played with them, any info would be most appreciated. I humbly request that you be specific. Not, "Acoustic is better," or, "Violin is cool."

Thanks!

P.S. I use Chinese rubber on my forehand, usually Neo H3. Will these work with the Acoustic or Violin?
Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

metallikviper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metallikviper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I'm curious about the differences between these two. If any of you have played with them, any info would be most appreciated. I humbly request that you be specific. Not, "Acoustic is better," or, "Violin is cool."

Thanks!

+1 Would like a comparison too and hopefully with some common rubber.
Nittaku Vioncello FL
FH: Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH: TSP P1-R 1.1mm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:05pm
For instance, I've heard that the Violin is slightly more flexy and the Acoustic is a bit stiffer.

I've also heard that the Acoustic is faster but the Violin has better feel.

Are these things I've heard correct?
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:29pm
I�ve got both. Violin is way slower, stiffer and better feeling. Acoustic has more flex, but much more power. Either can work fine with chinese rubbers, but I would go for the Acoustic if you want to  stick with H3 NEO. Imo Violin is OK with Tenergy, but lacks of power with H3
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:41pm
My impressions only:

Acoustic - better for looping from mid-distance, more power, softer, but not-as-good feel (or vibrations to hand) as Violin

Violin - looping from close-to-table is very good, with a more forward stroke production can be quite powerful from mid-distance as well.   Slower than Acoustic.  I prefer it over Acoustic for counter-drives, hits and even blocks.   Much/much better feeling than Acoustic.   I find it excellent for over-the-table shots (flips, etc).
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:44pm
I think Acoustic has amazing feel, best of all blades I've ever tried. I also use H3 on the forehand. It's very crisp, flexy, and great for looping.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:51pm
I have an Acoustic FL and have tried Violins on various occasons. The Violin is harder and slower and has a different feel than the Acoustic and the Acoustic is faster, softer and better for looping IMO. I like the feeling from my Acoustic but I think it is a matter of comfort with the blade and understanding what the vibrations mean. Overall both blades are extremely well finished and don't have sharp edges around the blade/handle area. I think Acoustic would be better for the H3 Neo, though it depends on what degree you are playing with. Ma Long used an Acoustic for awhile with H3 on the forehand (back in the speedglue era).
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 3:56pm
If you like the handle, and non-composite blades, I don't think you will be disappointed with the Acoustic.
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
holda View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 4:03pm

For instance, I've heard that the Violin is slightly more flexy and the Acoustic is a bit stiffer.

I've also heard that the Acoustic is faster but the Violin has better feel.

Are these things I've heard correct?
It is the reverse-Violin is stiffer and Acoustic is more elastic.Between the 2 I would choose Violin.Stiffer blade gives more control for BH and as someone correctly said playing shots over the table is just a joy.If someone doesn't find enough power in Violins all that is needed is a heavy weight blade.I also think,that after trying Darker Vlon on FH of my Violin I will give NEO Hurricane a shot ,too.Put a tensor on the BH,and you will enjoy the blade the most.
I may have gone in a wrong direction,but I sold my Acoustic a while ago. I were to try this blade,I would also go for a 88-92 gr.blade .
Be right back...
Please email to me if pm box is full.Later...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 4:04pm
Ma Long's old blade (Notice the FL handle Sunilid Wink )
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 4:06pm
I also think Acoustic has much better feel. It's unique. Violin on the other hand was more ordinary, can find similiar feel 5 ply wood blades.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 4:11pm
Anton, you read my mind...I was thinking about the same thing.
I haven't played with any of them, but for what I have read in some posts and my intuition about the whole picture, I would say:

Acoustic: heavier,faster (may be not much), stiffer, thicker, softer, enough power for playing away from the table, lower throw than Violin. May be a Korbel "de luxe". Excellent for a looping/counter-looping game

Violin: better feel,slower, lighter, more flexible,harder, great for playing close to the table,excellent for blocking,great for people who play with long pimples in the backhand,great for people who like to hit. Looping? Yes, close to the table, but less powerful than Acoustic away from the table.

Let me tell you how I understand terms such as "flexible", "stiff","hard", and "soft".

The opposite of flexibility is stiffness or rigidity.
The opposite of softness is hardness and is related to the outer ply of the blade.
So a blade can be flexible and hard or stiff and soft (or flexible and soft or stiff and hard)

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

I also think Acoustic has much better feel. It's unique. Violin on the other hand was more ordinary, can find similiar feel 5 ply wood blades.
I think that you are wrong.
The feeling for Violin is very unique. I would say that it has one of the best feeling 5 wood blade. Comparing with Acoustic, Violin has better feel and control. Blocking with Violin is excellent since the power from the coming ball was absorbed nicely.
Acoustic has the good feel too, but it has more of softer feel. Acoustic is a little faster with more flexible.
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 5:10pm
Ok, you're right BMonkey.

Though if I rememeber right, ST handle seems to be more common
among the top-players, though not sure why.

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Ma Long's old blade (Notice the FL handle Sunilid Wink )
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
sunilid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunilid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

The feeling for Violin is very unique. I would say that it has one of the best feeling 5 wood blade. Comparing with Acoustic, Violin has better feel and control. Blocking with Violin is excellent since the power from the coming ball was absorbed nicely.
Acoustic has the good feel too, but it has more of softer feel. Acoustic is a little faster with more flexible.

+1000
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)
jkillashark View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkillashark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 7:08pm
Violin is made more for drive play hence the slightly harder feel. The Acoutic is made more for looping strokes hence the slightly softer feel allowing more dwell time. The Violin is slightly faster despite being much lighter (82g +/- vs 88g +/- for Acoustic).

I personally have more drive in my loop drive and found that the Violin works very well for me.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH: Black DHS Neo Hurricane 3 Blue Sponge National
BH: Red Butterfly Tenergy 80

Footwork and forehand is always the answer.
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 7:14pm
Violin faster than Acoustic? I always thought it was the other way round
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 7:26pm
I'm very appreciative of everyone's input, but I'm almost sorry I asked! :-) I'm getting all sorts of contradictory info... Ha! I guess if I decide to pick one up I'll have to just flip a coin.
bagung View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 8:00pm
i love both Acoustic & Violin....
both have unique feel, which i found is different than other 5 ply blades...
Acoustic is slightly faster than Violin....
i am getting my 2nd Acoustic & Violin for Christmas...
TB ZLC, Innerforce ZLC, HK3, HH3, HL2 Cpen......
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by sunilid sunilid wrote:

+1000

+10000
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2009 at 10:18pm
Anton, if I were you, I would buy both of them, since both of them are unique and nice blade...
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

flash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 4:14am
I use Acoustic ST with H3 neo 2,1 on fh...in my opninon they match verry well...about Violin I don't know, I never owned or tested such a blade. But be careful, from my experience Acoustic may vary from 80 gr to 95...The one at 80 gr it's a off- blade...the one at 95 it's a off+. I personally like one between 85-87 gr...its stable and powerful enough and not crazy fast... The handle from acoustic it's generally verry small but you can find one with a normal size from a bigger shop...or the version with L-size handleBig%20smile
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 12:17pm
To any of you who've tried both: Which blade vibrates more?

I like a very woody feel with a bit of vibration. If I could have a racquet that felt like a hardbat when I hit the ball then I'd be happy. :-)
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 1:25pm

To any of you who've tried both: Which blade vibrates more?

I like a very woody feel with a bit of vibration. If I could have a racquet that felt like a hardbat when I hit the ball then I'd be happy. :-)
Err, I'd say that depends on the individual blade and its weight and the rubber on it. But in my experience Acoustic does.
johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Anton, if I were you, I would buy both of them, since both of them are unique and nice blade...

That would be a good solution if the price wasn't so big...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
shij421 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shij421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 1:54pm
get the acoustic, u can blame me if you don't like it
Violin FL
Tenergy 05 2.1 Black
Tenergy 05 FX 2.1 Red
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 2:04pm

I don't think I'm wrong or correct. We are talking about "feel" here, which is mostly personal in this case. You see there are many Acoustic fans and Violin fans here. Both are very good blades, that's for sure. I just prefer Acoustic.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 2:10pm

I don't think I'm wrong or correct. We are talking about "feel" here, which is mostly personal in this case. You see there are many Acoustic fans and Violin fans here. Both are very good blades, that's for sure. I just prefer Acoustic.
I prefer Acoustic too (It is my main blade now). But I don't see why you say Violin's feeling is just like a normal 5 ply wood. May be you had gotten the fake version. I got one fake before. It had dead feeling and the blade is head heavy. Ouch
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 2:15pm

+1. I also prefer Acoustic, but ST w/wt. btwn 86g - 90g max. "Feel" is very subjective term, how I "feel" about a blade's power/feedback or whatever or abt anyth'n could be drastically, totally or may be even slightly different than how others feel about the same thing/anyth'n....Big%20smile
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2009 at 2:37pm
For those of you who have tried both, with which one do you think is easier to loop? I am not talking about distance (it can be close or far from the table).I am talking about the act itself of looping...about having a better "bite", you know what I mean (I hope)

Ok,ok, I know that looping has to do with good technique and practice, not a blade. But let me for a second have a fantasy about a "magic pill" and think that equipment can make a big difference!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic