Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Schlager playing in a garage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 7:53am
Pushblocker just owned half of us, me included. No offence, but i really didn't think you were 2200. I didn't eliminate the possibility though, but I thought that if u were 2200 then u must have a very weird style to win, and i guess i was right lol.

Still, as long as you enjoy the game, don't bother how you look while playing it!
Sponsored Links

Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 7:53am
Here's my rating chart (after cutting out my 5 inactive years.. I didn't have a racket in my hand from '03 to April '08.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 7:56am

Originally posted by Glenn Glenn wrote:

Pushblocker just owned half of us, me included. No offence, but i really didn't think you were 2200. I didn't eliminate the possibility though, but I thought that if u were 2200 then u must have a very weird style to win, and i guess i was right lol.

Still, as long as you enjoy the game, don't bother how you look while playing it!

If I'd worry how it looks when I'm playing, I would've quit long time ago.. I can guarantee you that most players wouldn't look too good against Werner, even if he plays it slow and safe.. You can try but he'll get everything back unless you whack the ball real hard..

Glenn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

If I'd worry how it looks when I'm playing, I would've quit long time ago.. I can guarantee you that most players wouldn't look too good against Werner, even if he plays it slow and safe.. You can try but he'll get everything back unless you whack the ball real hard..

To be honest, if i had the chance to play him, i would probably try the exact same tactic you had. WHACK IT MAN.

Goddamnit. I probably can't get a point otherwise. lol. Unless he gets careless and fumbles at my serve or something.

But i thought you could have whacked some with your forehand instead, thats all. Your style is unorthodox, but in no ways inferior as long as it suits you!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 8:13am

To be honest, if i had the chance to play him, i would probably try the exact same tactic you had. WHACK IT MAN.

Goddamnit. I probably can't get a point otherwise. lol. Unless he gets careless and fumbles at my serve or something.

But i thought you could have whacked some with your forehand instead, thats all. Your style is unorthodox, but in no ways inferior as long as it suits you!

My problem with forehands is that I have a very backhand oriented stance and I'd have to step around 180 degrees to play forehand.  My backhand is my strength.. There's a player in California, the approx. 73 year old Peter Chen.. He is 73 years old and still 2180 rated. He has been over 2300 and all he does is to block penhold style with his long pips. He doesn't have a backhand like I don't have a forehand and he also plays at very high level at a very high age..
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 8:19am

I'm the 2nd�highest rated non attacking long pips blocker in the country and the 6th highest rated long pips blocker including offensive blockers who use their forehand a lot.

Who are the other 5 long pip blockers?
John Wetzler..., richard mcafee?,
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 8:34am
Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

I'm the 2nd highest rated non attacking long pips blocker in the country and the 6th highest rated long pips blocker including offensive blockers who use their forehand a lot.

Richard McAfee is one spot below me...

Here's the top 10 list

Sakda Timsuwan (2432)(WA) (looper who mixes in lp blocks)
Rob Van Lier (2397) (CA) (looper/attacker who mixes in lp blocks)
John Mark Wetzler (2386)(PA) (chop-blocker with a big forehand)
Li, Zhi-Ming (2306) (MI) (penhold long pips blocker)
Robert Shahnazari (2230)(CA) (pushblocker who attacks with the pips and also forehand)
Olivier Mader (2207)(FL) (non attacking pushblocker - backhand oriented)
Richard McAfee (2198)(CO) (allround long pips blocker/hitter/attacker)
Peter Chen (2180)(CA) (penhold long pips blocker)
William Lin (2143)(CA) (offensive long pips blocker and short pips hitter - twiddles)

Dickie Flieisher (approx. 2307) is not on the list as his game is mainly a long pips attacking and not blocking game. He does block but he usually attacks.. This list only includes players whose main stroke on the backhand is their push/block.. His style is basically a short pips style using medium pips..
zrrbiteDK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zrrbiteDK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 8:53am

Originally posted by kenneyy88 kenneyy88 wrote:

I'm the 2nd highest rated non attacking long pips blocker in the country and the 6th highest rated long pips blocker including offensive blockers who use their forehand a lot.

Richard McAfee is one spot below me...

Here's the top 10 list

Sakda Timsuwan (2432)(WA) (looper who mixes in lp blocks)
Rob Van Lier (2397) (CA) (looper/attacker who mixes in lp blocks)
John Mark Wetzler (2386)(PA) (chop-blocker with a big forehand)
Li, Zhi-Ming (2306) (MI) (penhold long pips blocker)
Robert Shahnazari (2230)(CA) (pushblocker who attacks with the pips and also forehand)
Olivier Mader (2207)(FL) (non attacking pushblocker - backhand oriented)
Richard McAfee (2198)(CO) (allround long pips blocker/hitter/attacker)
Peter Chen (2180)(CA) (penhold long pips blocker)
William Lin (2143)(CA) (offensive long pips blocker and short pips hitter - twiddles)
Mark Nordby (2137)(TX) (offensive style long pips blocker and attacker)

Dickie Flieisher (approx. 2307) is not on the list as his game is mainly a long pips attacking and not blocking game. He does block but he usually attacks.. This list only includes players whose main stroke on the backhand is their push/block.. His style is basically a short pips style using medium pips..

This just shows why tabletennis is such an awesome sport. The level of diversity the game offers can humble the best of players if they're not prepared for a particular style of play. Looks can indeed be deceiving! And you are so very very deceptive, Olivier! : )
Current:

Avalox BT777 / ? / ?
TT over Study View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT over Study Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 9:14am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

However, I will retract my earlier statement, he most likely would beat me because I've only played against one LP user ever

ill go 1 step further and say he will definitely beat you
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 9:27am
I don't want to get into "who is better?" or "rating war" but I can assure you guys that any player under 1900 can't even beat him in your dream.

He has a unique game that will destroy your timing/ what you have been training to do by his quick of-the-bounce dead ball. Wanna see how good he is? Don't watch the game VS Schlager, all of us will look bad against 2003 world champ.
Look at it this way, there are ways to be good TT players. Pblocker will force you to make too many mistakes to beat him and he will make very few mistakes.

www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

I don't want to get into "who is better?" or "rating war" but I can assure you guys that any player under 1900 can't even beat him in your dream.

He has a unique game that will destroy your timing/ what you have been training to do by his quick of-the-bounce dead ball. Wanna see how good he is? Don't watch the game VS Schlager, all of us will look bad against 2003 world champ.
Look at it this way, there are ways to be good TT players. Pblocker will force you to make too many mistakes to beat him and he will make very few mistakes.

As you specifically know, my style does have weaknesses.. I depend on opponents spin and use it against them.. When I play you, you won't give me spin with your pips and I make mistakes and create attackable balls.. You don't take chances that you don't need to.. However, players with 2 sides inverted will have a hard time giving me a spinless ball.. Once there's spin in the game, my strength comes in..

silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 9:40am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

What surprises me most in that video is the other guy claims to be 2207 US rating !!!

Maybe he is a 2207 player in disguise.

We have a couple of players in our club that are close-in long pips choppers / blockers.  George Hendry is one of them.  Nobody knows for sure how many U.S. Open titles he holds, but the number is well over 20 including Open Championship.  He has holds a couple of Men's World Championships. 

pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:19am
My favorite part is at 1:52 when Werner gets blasted in the chest by a wild BH.......  He even says "Wooo"  Love the video!
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:32am

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Wow, Werner was having a good ol time giving him all those chump serves. I can't believe that guy is 2200 and missed all those smashes over and over again. He must have been nervous to be faced down by the 2003 World Champion. I would have rubbed the ball in my sweat before serving so I could stand a chance Big%20smile

That's me in the video playing with Werner.. I'm ACTUALLY 2207 (actually 2215 after they correct a mistake at the Teams results.. There were 2 more players that I beat that they didn't add to my record)

I had to attack against Werner as he will not make a mistake if I just push the ball back to him. I usually don't attack at all and I'm not good attacking.. I'm the 2nd highest rated non attacking long pips blocker in the country and the 6th highest rated long pips blocker including offensive blockers who use their forehand a lot. I have a very unique style that looks horrible but is pretty effective unless you play Werner Schlager.. The pips don't bother him at all. Werners brother Harald who also played National League in Austria was/is playing with long pips and Werner has no problems..  Check out my other videos against top players to see how I usually play.. My youtube ID is grandsportc3 and I have plenty of TT videos out there including a match against U21 Womens champion Natalie Sun and a game against mid 2500 rated Jennifer (Yue) Wu who got to beat He Ziwen last year at the teams..

Hehe, I would want to have Schlager or Joo to be my high school friend Tongue After I watch your vid against Schlager and against other 2000+ USATT players, I can see your weakness now. Of course Schlager is much much better than the other players so you lost thats normal. But you seem to be vulnerable to long no spin serves + you are also vulnerable against hard loop not slow spinny loops. The last thing is that they can win you by attacking both sides since your footwork is pretty bad ( no offence but just being honest ) and you dont have fh strokes so ye... you should practice a fh stroke Wink
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
Thylacine View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thylacine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:41am
 Many beginners here think that in order to be a good player you should be playing with Amultart and Tenergy. LOL
 Later on comes the first painful lesson by a pushblocker or chop smasher.
Single Ply Hinoki club
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:50am
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Hehe, I would want to have Schlager or Joo to be my high school friend Tongue After I watch your vid against Schlager and against other 2000+ USATT players, I can see your weakness now. Of course Schlager is much much better than the other players so you lost thats normal. But you seem to be vulnerable to long no spin serves + you are also vulnerable against hard loop not slow spinny loops. The last thing is that they can win you by attacking both sides since your footwork is pretty bad ( no offence but just being honest ) and you dont have fh strokes so ye... you should practice a fh stroke Wink

Many players KNOW what to do against my style but can't execute it. Try serving fast and spinless with a grippy inverted rubber.. I can guarantee you that most sub 2100 players will not be able to produce a fast, spinless serve.. Sure, they can give me low spin but only very few players will be able to execute such serve successfully. My placement on my return is also often pretty good.. I usually catch most opponents at their weaker side when returning serves. As for my footwork.. What footwork???
The problem with my forehand is that I'm in a very backhand oriented position and I'd have to turn 180 degrees to play forehand.. I can rally in warm up for a very long time on the forehand and even power-loop but my lack of footwork and my extreme backhand position make it difficult to play forehand.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 10:56am
Awesome video! Werner wasn't trying very hard, but some of those lazy bh attack shots were deadly anyway.

People who don't think Pushblocker is the rating he claims have never played a good LP/anti blocker. Those kinds of players are my #1 nemesis. LOOPMEISTER doesn't like LP/anti blockers! And at my level there are many of them. I can't get enough practice against them, so I actually bought a defensive blade with LP's to loan to people to practice against. (That, and for me to practice chopping for fun.)

lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:04am
Guess I'll throw in my thoughts.

I've been competing now for a couple years and have learned a few vital things. Just because somebody can't go out with their buddy and have fun doing counter loop rallies doesn't mean they aren't good.

I'll be the first to say, Olivier would have no problems beating me. He feasts on styles like mine for breakfast, and dinner, probably lunch too.

Those of you that think he looks like a 1500, will be in for a huge surprise when you play somebody with a style like his.

See, with his style, he wins his points by getting you to mess up. Obviously, Werner Schlager doesn't mess up, so he had to try those wild smashing attacks. But to us mortals, we make many mistakes, and against pushblocker, most of us would probably make 11 mistakes before we make 11 good points. Game, Set, Match.

Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Thylacine Thylacine wrote:

Many beginners here think that in order to be a good player you should be playing with Amultart and Tenergy. LOL
 Later on comes the first painful lesson by a pushblocker or chop smasher.

so true Clap
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:13am

Wow, Werner was having a good ol time giving him all those chump serves. I can't believe that guy is 2200 and missed all those smashes over and over again. He must have been nervous to be faced down by the 2003 World Champion. I would have rubbed the ball in my sweat before serving so I could stand a chance Big%20smile

That's me in the video playing with Werner.. I'm ACTUALLY 2207 (actually 2215 after they correct a mistake at the Teams results.. There were 2 more players that I beat that they didn't add to my record)

I had to attack against Werner as he will not make a mistake if I just push the ball back to him. I usually don't attack at all and I'm not good attacking.. I'm the 2nd highest rated non attacking long pips blocker in the country and the 6th highest rated long pips blocker including offensive blockers who use their forehand a lot. I have a very unique style that looks horrible but is pretty effective unless you play Werner Schlager.. The pips don't bother him at all. Werners brother Harald who also played National League in Austria was/is playing with long pips and Werner has no problems..  Check out my other videos against top players to see how I usually play.. My youtube ID is grandsportc3 and I have plenty of TT videos out there including a match against U21 Womens champion Natalie Sun and a game against mid 2500 rated Jennifer (Yue) Wu who got to beat He Ziwen last year at the teams..

It is a well known fact that video adds 10 pounds Wink

It is also a well-known (at least to me) fact that TT video cannot give you a fair understanding of what the guy's rating is. I myself have filmed my matches on more than one occasion and when I watch them afterwards I want to puke... and during the game I thought I played pretty good and moved around like a ballerina... you know?

Not to mention that style of play and quality of one's play depend heavily on the other player - his level, his style etc. You ever watched two LP defenders playing each other? you would think they came into the hall right from their basement and they probably have USATT rating below 1300... and then they play someone above 2000 and beat him. And not just because he didn't know how to play LP blockers (although that is a rather common happenstance), but because when playing against higher level attackers, these guys immediately raise their game.

Olivier, don't listen to the people who think they can beat you from watching your video. Good luck, and thanks for the clip!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

See, with his style, he wins his points by getting you to mess up. Obviously, Werner Schlager doesn't mess up, so he had to try those wild smashing attacks. But to us mortals, we make many mistakes, and against pushblocker, most of us would probably make 11 mistakes before we make 11 good points. Game, Set, Match.

People asked on the forums many times - "how do I play against LP blockers or defenders? What is the main secret"

The main secret is patience

I mean... unless you are a very high-level attacker who doesn't have a problem with heavy deceptive spin coming back at you from the other guy's pips. But if that's the case, whyt he heck are you asking the question? Wink

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

That's indeed the best strategy..   Be patient and pick your shots and if you take a shot, make sure that I don't get it back because once it comes back, I'm in the game..
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:30am

Olivier, don't listen to the people who think they can beat you from watching your video. Good luck, and thanks for the clip!
I hope you don't think I was saying I could beat him because I don't believe I could, but I like to wear metal shirts when I play too so maybe he'd get jealous of my sweet Slayer shirts and mess up Tongue
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:38am

I hope you don't think I was saying I could beat him because I don't believe I could, but I like to wear metal shirts when I play too so maybe he'd get jealous of my sweet Slayer shirts and mess up Tongue

My Megadeth shirt is my favorite TT shirt.. Scares my opponents LOL

Didn't work with Werner though!
Recanter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Recanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:40am
Just a couple of posers trying to look like pros :P

Serious though, how lucky to play with Schlager!!!
 /envy!
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH: BTY Tenergy 64 2.1
BH: BTY EJ Max
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:41am
this is exactly why i lost to bob bowlander =( i tried to keep the spin down but i was wayyy too inconsistent to do anything about it. maybe now i can do a lil bit better!

@push: when you come to GA let me know!! i'd love to try to hit with you and see if you can handle my spin...if you can then i'm out of luck. either way it'll be fun to try some new tactics and see how it goes!! =D
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:45am

That's indeed the best strategy..   Be patient and pick your shots and if you take a shot, make sure that I don't get it back because once it comes back, I'm in the game..

Exactly! Listen to Olivier - he is giving away his secrets! Wink

Basically, you need to mix attack with short game, in order to jerk the defender around, trying to trip him up. I have seen many a young guys who would wipe the floor with the likes of me, because they have superb power topspin game, and they would lose very quickly to LP players with ratings close to mine because after the first or second LP block or chop their next loop would go into the net, and then they throw their hands in the air and go "oh this is not right! what's going on?"

What amazes me is that these guys - and some of them are adult enough to know better - often make no attempt to adjust their game and make quick changes and conclusions from what is happening. They keep on playing the same game which they just saw didn't present any problem for the LP guy...

Olivier says he almost never attacks and that is probably one of his main weaknesses - because if you are patient you can slowly set up your winning shot without being afraid that your opponent suddenly interrupts the rally and attacks you. Much more dangerous are the LP players who also have some attacking capabilities - usually on their FH - because with them you also have to be always on the lookout for their own attack. Then it becomes very difficult to wait for your winning shot while at the same time not giving them an opportunity to attack.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

this is exactly why i lost to bob bowlander =( i tried to keep the spin down but i was wayyy too inconsistent to do anything about it. maybe now i can do a lil bit better!

@push: when you come to GA let me know!! i'd love to try to hit with you and see if you can handle my spin...if you can then i'm out of luck. either way it'll be fun to try some new tactics and see how it goes!! =D

I don't know if I'll make it to Georgia in the near future.. I only played one player from Georgia recently and it was Ethan Jin, a junior who is now over 2200. He was 2129 when I played him and I beat him 3:0..
If you ever come to the Tampa or Orlando area, I'll also play with you.. Would be interesting..
Maybe we will meet at a tournament.. My tournament schedule for this year might include the Cary Cup in NC, the NYC Open, San Diego Open or any other West Coast 4 star event, the US Open Warmup in Coral Springs, the Florida State Closed, the NA Team Championship and maybe the Nationals next year..  It all depends on my work and vacation schedule..
Bob Bowlander is 500 rating points below me, so if you lose to him, you might have problems with my game...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 12:06pm

Exactly! Listen to Olivier - he is giving away his secrets! Wink

Basically, you need to mix attack with short game, in order to jerk the defender around, trying to trip him up. I have seen many a young guys who would wipe the floor with the likes of me, because they have superb power topspin game, and they would lose very quickly to LP players with ratings close to mine because after the first or second LP block or chop their next loop would go into the net, and then they throw their hands in the air and go "oh this is not right! what's going on?"

What amazes me is that these guys - and some of them are adult enough to know better - often make no attempt to adjust their game and make quick changes and conclusions from what is happening. They keep on playing the same game which they just saw didn't present any problem for the LP guy...

Olivier says he almost never attacks and that is probably one of his main weaknesses - because if you are patient you can slowly set up your winning shot without being afraid that your opponent suddenly interrupts the rally and attacks you. Much more dangerous are the LP players who also have some attacking capabilities - usually on their FH - because with them you also have to be always on the lookout for their own attack. Then it becomes very difficult to wait for your winning shot while at the same time not giving them an opportunity to attack.

Again, it's easy to talk about the strategy but for many players, it's difficult to execute it.. Played against a player with excellent strategy at the Teams (one of the 2 results that are missing). The player did the right thing and played it safe, waiting for the right shot.. However, he played it too safe and I made about 8 points per game attacking. If the opponent plays it slow enough, I will attack as I will have to get in position for my attacks and I'll kill the ball.. I smack the ball so hard that once I attack, the ball hardly ever comes back. I do know on how to attack BUT my problem is to get myself in position to be able to successfully attack. One of the most diffuclt players for me to play against is Larry Bavly who currently hit his lowest rating in 2 decades or so.. He is usually around 2200 but just dropped into the mid 2000's.. He slow spins every shot from both sides with insane consistency.. He doesn't make mistakes and all I can do is to get the ball back on the table and once my block gets too high, he kills it..  He beats just about every long pips blocker..
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2009 at 12:12pm
Agreed - it is not enough to formulate the strategy, you need to have the chops to properly execute it. There are for instance 1600-level players who mentally understand what needs to be done when playing a 2100-level LP chopper but simply cannot do that due to lack of skill.

And since you, my friend, do attack on occasion, that only makes you more dangerous! Clap

As for Larry - I played him a few times (he is a fellow Massachusettsian... is that a word?), and he is very very consistent. He should be - he has been playing like this for more than 30 years by now.

The last time I played him at an official tournament I was in the zone and I was up 10-7 in the fourth (up 2-1 in sets) and then managed to lose. He has been slipping a bit lately...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic