FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NEXY Review: Oscar and Hannibal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lildudejds View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEXY Review: Oscar and Hannibal
    Posted: 12/31/2009 at 2:25pm
Review: Nexy Blades

First off, Iļæ½d like to apologize for the delay in my reviews! Also, Iļæ½d like the thank Mr. Moon for allowing us to try his blades. He was very generous to all of us!

I should explain my process in which I tested these blades. My set up for the last year has been an 81 gram Timo Boll ZLF with Tenergy on both sides.

For the test, I put 2 sheets of Tenergy on the Oscar, 2 sheets of Tenergy on the Hannibal, and one sheet of Tenergy and one sheet of Hexer on my ZLF. This allowed me to test both blades with rubber that I am used to, as well as test a new rubber(Hexer) at the same time, as my ZLF had one side a rubber that I am used to, and the other side a new one.

My partner was my good buddy ryan (username - notgood) who is a solid 1850 player who shares a style similar to mine.

Photos aren't the best, as they were taken on an iPhone.

Nexy Oscar:

The blade is very well put together. Mine was a comfortable weight at 87 grams I believe. The handle was thicker than the ZLF and the Hannibal. For my small hands, it was not as comfortable as the other two blades, BUT, this does not mean itļæ½s a bad handle. Somebody with bigger hands would probably even prefer the Oscar handle to the Hannibal.

I believe that we know that it is an Arylate Carbon blade with Hinoki outer plies. It feels medium hard to me, but the outer plies definitely keep it softer than it could have been if a different wood was used.

It was definitely faster than my ZLF, but for some reason I found it slower than the Hannibal. Maybe it had older rubber on it, I donļæ½t know. The speed is controllable, and the blade provided enough dwell time for some pretty spinny loops.

The throw angle was higher than both the ZLF and the Hannibal.

I could recommend this blade to anybody who likes the feel of the Maze or TBS blade. They are similar, but the feel is a little different. I think the Oscar feels crisper than a TBS.

Personally, I preferred the Hannibal for a few reasons, which I will discuss in my review of that blade. However, the Oscar is still a pretty good blade at a price that I consider pretty cheap for a blade of this quality and performance.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Sponsored Links

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 2:26pm

Nexy Hannibal:

This blade surprised me, so much so that it is now my weapon of choice.
The blade is beautiful. Iļæ½m a huge fan of the color of the handle.

The blade has rather thick outerplies, followed by a carbon layer on each side of a rather thick center ply. Iļæ½m not certain of the wood in the center, but Iļæ½d really like to know!

Speed: I felt that it was a touch faster than the Oscar, but it was really hard to tell, as they were two completely different feeling blades.

Feel: This blade feels magic to me. It has a ļæ½springyļæ½ feel, which I really like, although some people hate this feeling and want a crisp feel. If so, this is not a blade for you. The dwell time on this blade is really good, and it has a lovely medium-soft feel that works well paired with harder rubbers like tenergy.

The handle is extremely comfortable to me, as it is smaller than the Oscar. My Hannibal weighed in at 85 grams which is not too heavy, but still has enough weight to create some power.

I figured iļæ½d get some other opinions on this blade, as it really surprised me. As some of you know I train at the St. Louis Training Center with Justen and Alex Yao. Itļæ½s a fairly Butterfly dominated field as long as equipment goes, and of course they didnļæ½t have high hopes for a no name brand like Nexy. However, Iļæ½m pleased to announce that when I let Justen(nearing a 2600 rating) try it, he was pleasantly surprised and said ļæ½wow, it actually feels pretty nice!ļæ½. So there you have it. Itļæ½s even good enough to impress 2500+ players.

Iļæ½d recommend this blade to a player who is at least above 1600. It is fairly quick and bouncy, so it takes good strokes and good touch to be able to control.

Way to go Nexy! The Hannibal is a winner in my books.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 2:27pm
Reserved for Follow up Review after Training Session with Coach and New Rubber.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 2:27pm
Man, you are fast...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 2:37pm
Well I have them typed in a word processor and will copy and paste them into here, and get pictures uploaded.

Everything should be complete within the hour.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 3:03pm

There may be some issues with copy and paste from a word processor.  My suggestion is to copy into Microsoft WordPad, then copy from WordPad into the forum.

Sometimes copy and paste keeps some formatting commands that can really screw up a post.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 3:15pm
Jim, let me know if I need to reformat my reviews into a different template. I wasn't sure if we actually ever agreed on a template.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 6:21pm
Nice review JDS.  One thing I would caution Mr. Moon right away is his use of the word Oscar with a picture resembling the Oscar statue.  I hope those Academy Awards people don't mind because they might cry trademark infringement.

When I saw the announcement for "Wanted: Nexy Blade Reviewers" last month, I wanted to join because I think I write pretty detailed reviews, plus my first TT blade was bought in Korea.  But one of the guys at my work decided to leave so I thought I had to do both our jobs.  Then I found out much later that my boss had hired a temporary replacement.  By then, all the reviewers were filled.  Grrrr. Angry

Anyway, having lived in Korea before, I am familiar at how Koreans are very detailed and particular about their blades.  Mostly though, the stores then just pushed Butterfly so I always wondered why it took them this long to create brands like Xiom and now Nexy.  I guess Champion is maybe a Korean brand but they're really not that popular?  Anyway, I'm really glad there is a new line of Korean TT products.  I hope to try Oscar someday because I'm on the hunt for a good A/C blade.  I just think they allow for more aggressive serve returns, which I'm trying to improve.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 7:21pm
So what are the outer layers on Hannibal? Are they again Hinoki?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 7:27pm
Mr. Moon told me in his letter that the outer plies where indeed hinoki.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 7:30pm
lol, is it just me or does the symbol for Nexy look like a marijuana leaf?
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Mr. Moon told me in his letter that the outer plies where indeed hinoki.

Nice. Maybe we can later swap our Nexys for extra testing - I'll send you my Color, and you to me - your Hannibal.

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2009 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

looks like weed. 1st thing i thought.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 1:12am
BvrMD, Champion is the parent company of Xiom. The most popular products I see here from Champion are *** balls and nice 1" thick tables.

JDS, ur description of Oscar being more "Crisp" than the TBS is intruiging. I will have to try out the Oscar myself.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

That was the first thing I mentioned when i got the blade. I went to a coaching rally over Christmas, and My nexy towel raised a few eyebrows, infact one of my pupils is a Policeman, and he was most amused. Could raise the profile of TT in some quartersLOL

Nexy is also only one place from 'dexy'..........
The Older I get, The better I was.
notgood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by lildudejds lildudejds wrote:

Nexy Hannibal:

This blade surprised me, so much so that it is now my weapon of choice.

Ha, you ready to start training with that bad boy?  I'll be back on Sunday
Viscaria
Vega Pro
Hammond Pro Beta
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 3:22pm

Yeah, in the near future, TT will really be at an all time high Smile
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

BvrMD, Champion is the parent company of Xiom. The most popular products I see here from Champion are *** balls and nice 1" thick tables.  

Thanks for the info.  Champion definitely did the right thing by creating Xiom.  More marketability.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2010 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

ļæ½

ļæ½That was the first thingļæ½I mentioned when i got the blade. I went to a coaching rally over Christmas, and My nexy towel raised a few eyebrows, infact one of my pupils is a Policeman, and he was most amused. Could raise the profile of TT in some quartersLOL

ļæ½

ļæ½Nexy is also only one place from 'dexy'..........

I thought the same thing. It's even funnier because the towel green.

It's a nice towel though!
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 1:40pm
The ST handle for both the Hannibal and Oscar is about the same size for me. In fact Hannibal's is slightly wider (~1mm)and so it's bigger. My Oscar weights in 91-92gr and the Hannibal is 92gr and I find the heavy weight is better with these NEXY blades.
May be it's because of the different weight or something. I have to disagree on the speed and feel. If you take the rubbers off and bounce the ball on the wood you can be sure that the direct speed of Oscar is faster than Hannibal, and more spring too. The material used in the Oscar makes it springy.
I can see how you feel that Hannibal is faster. On loops, because Hannibal is SOFTER, the smooth feeling of the blade allows you to relex more, and perhaps that's what you're feeling. In fact you work more when playing the Hannibal.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lildudejds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2010 at 3:37pm
Yes I agree thethinker. Maybe it was a poor glue job on the Oscar, I don't know. But I felt that hannibal created faster loops. However, at slower speeds, it also was easier to keep pushes short.
Nexy Hannibal
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05 FX
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2010 at 3:49am
Hannibal does creates faster loops because the throw is lower. Oscar has more spring. Oscar needs a harder sponged rubber to get the same arc. And because of the spring it would be harder to keep the push short, but, again, you need to go to a sponge that one notch harder to have it short. I am currently trying to play Oscar with Skyline and it's more powerful than Hannibal with T05.
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/18/2010 at 2:46am
Folks,

Sorry for the immense delay in writing up reviews about Nexy Hannibal. I was just too busy with office work and I could not find time to write about Hannibal.

So here's my review:-

Blade:  Nexy Hannibal ST
Speed:  8.3 (On the Butterfly Scale)
Control:  8.0 (On the Butterfly Scale)
Feel:  Medium-Soft to Hard
Weight:  88 grams
Rubbers:
FH:
Dawei IQUL 2.2 mm 42 Deg
BH: Mark V Black 2.2 mm
Total weight: Close to 185 gms (I do not have a scale)

General comments:
The Blade has a marvellous finish, as expected from Nexy blades. The craftsmanship is amazing.
I generally like medium heavy blades, somewhere in the range of 85-90 gms. Perfect fit in my desirable weight range.
It does not feel overall heavy but it does seem somewhat head heavy. It might be due to the straight handle that i have. It is quite possible that the FL handle would have been much more balanced in weight due to the extra meat on the handle.
I am not such a big fan of ST handles but somehow, after playing with Hannibal i have come to realize that ST works better for me than FL. The transition from FH to BH is much more smooth with an ST handle for me.

Review:
I had a good 3 hour playing session with it last to last night.
I pasted my almost new Mark V (shifted from Color) and my pretty old and faithful Dawei IQUL (slightly boosted with Paraffin oil to flatten it out) onto it and started to have a hit with it.
The first impression of this blade was that it is going to be too fast for me to handle. Then I started countering with it and immediately felt the speed boost coming from a Nexy Color(my current blade) background. It was fairly quick but equally controllable too. It had a stiff feeling to it. It felt harder and crisper than the Color with the same rubbers.
The feeling of Carbon layers was pronounced in Hannibal. I was thinking that the carbon feeling would get subsided because it was embedded deep inside. But i guess this feeling might also be due to the fact that i had been using an all wood Color for a long time now.

The speed of the blade is similar to my K-5. Infact, it could be just a bit above K-5 but only by just a bit. The difference in feeling between K-5 and Hannibal is certainly there. K-5 feels just a bit more crisper than Hannibal. It feels just a bit soft compared to K-5 and just a bit hard compared to Color.
The feeling is really nice. Now that i am playing with Hannibal and i reflect back on Color, i seem to realise that I do not like the softish feeling of Color. It just does not allow for quick punch blocks from backhand. With Color, due to the softness, the backhand punch seems to go a bit slow and the feedback on the hand is muffled. Whereas, with Hannibal it gives you a nice hardy feeling and a very good feedback on the hands.
This is what i like about Hannibal.
The dwell time on Hannibal is just decent. It is not better than the K-5 and not even close to Color at all.
The control in the short game is something to notice. Because it is not that bouncy as compared to Color, the short game is inadvertantly sweet. The balls don't bounce of the racket. They stay low.
All in all, it is a very nice blade for people who like to counter around most of the time and wish to loop only when they get a fairly open chance.
There is no way that one would be able to easily hit a loop off a backspin ball with a Mark V on Hannibal. It just does not happen. The dwell time is not enough for the ball to remain on the blade and the rubber for a long enough duration to impart topspin.
However, my slightly boosted IQUL provides me with this window of opportunity. But still, the dwell time isn't close to Color.
One thing that i would like to bring to everyone's notice here is that the dwell time is being compared to Color here. Please note that Color perhaps has the maximum of dwell time that you can get on a fast blade. So please don't misunderstand my intentions when i say that the blade's dwell time is low. It is low only when compared to Color.
It is almost similar to my K-5 for that matter.
Mid-distance power play was better when compared to Color. It was somewhat close to K-5 in this department, i feel.
Overall, it was an nice experience. I liked its performance very much. I am thinking of making it my backup blade.
Infact, i have already ordered for new rubbers for it. A Tuttle Beijing III Factory Tuned and a Darker VLON-S Gold.

Improvements:
The balance of the blade in ST handle needs to be looked at. Its head heaviness should be fixed. The weight of the blade can be brought down a bit (close to 82-85 gms range) and the dwell time can be increased just by a bit.
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Nexy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nexy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 12:42am

I really appreciate your nice review.

Sorry for not being around this site for a while....and I'm really glad still I can meet some new reviews here.
Hannibal and Oscar could be referred as a very important blades for Nexy's success in the future market.

Some people might be able to say that those two blades seem not much distinctive from other similiar kinds blades, but that's far from the truth.

As an Amateur player, I've touched many similiar kinds blades for many years, and when I started to design new blades, those two carbon blades were really big origin for my creativity.

I tried to find what could be sophisticated different and eventually better that all other seemingly similiar blades formy own design.

The answer lies on the middle layer, and also the composition.
It looks maybe very subtle change, but I think when you keep on playing, you come to realize there do exsit some characters other brands could not come up with.

Thank you anubhav1984,

I think you already found out all the details about those subtle differances.
I hope you can keep on being a good reviewer for my Nexy.

Brand Manager of NEXY
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 8:36am
I recently traded me a Nexy Hannibal and thought Iā€™d write a review about it

Review for the Nexy Hannibal
Blade: Nexy Hannibal FL
Speed: 6+ 
Control: 8
Feel: Soft to medium
Weight: 90gram
Rubbers:
FH: Tenergy 64
BH: BTY Rozena
Weight: About 180gram

General Comments:
Finish is good, a lot better than Stiga, on par with my more expensive BTY blades.
The blade is less head heavy than many of my other blades, it feels like the handle isnā€™t hollow (but this is a guess)

I Like the FL handle, it is medium in size, not as small as some of my other blades (bigger than Korbel handle), but smaller than for example a clipper straight handle.

Review:
Iā€™m not one for writing lenghty reviews, but I played with it for two traing sessions and had some matches with it. It feels like it grips the ball, has a feeling similar to the one of the clipper. But it has a bit more dwell time. If I where to put the dwell time, I would say it has a medium dwell time. More than the clipper but less than a virtuoso. The feeling is soft, and on slow loops and passive blocks the blade feels really slow, on more active or more powerful loops the blade feels more alive and Iā€™m abel to really spin up the ball. 

With the setup that I use the blade is good on opening loops close to the table and itā€™s easy to control. I had some initial problems with blocking as the blade is softer and not as stiff as the clipper Iā€™ve been playing with. When I adjusted for this, it was really easy to do blocks.

One thing for me, is that this blade does not feel linear, it has lots of gears, but I feel like I had to choose between slow loop or a more powerful low, fast, spinny ball. This suits me very well, and itā€™s a fun blade. Iā€™ve never tried anything like it and I really like the feeling and feedback of the blade. 
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2019 at 12:54pm
Wow, nearly 10 years since last post... but what the hec, no animals or children were harmed.

My Hannibal plays OFF+, but surprisingly has good dwell to get my kind of mechanical spin.

The Osac, on the other hand, is an alc blaster, it is one of two Nexy blades too fast for me. Other is Akrasia.

But hey, if you are hitter, driver, or ox lp puncher, those two are excellent for that.

Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic