Advertising on MyTableTennis.NET
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Timo Boll Spirit Vs. Timo Boll ALC?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timo Boll Spirit Vs. Timo Boll ALC?
    Posted: 01/09/2010 at 11:45pm
What is the difference between these 2 blades beside the fact that the ALC is more money then the Spirit?
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2010 at 12:14am

Sheesh.  Go to http://www.tabletennisdb.com/ and get the information from their reviews. 

cntcasey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cntcasey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2010 at 12:44am
Thanks Silverhair I went to your link and it gave me a whopping one review that was exactly what I needed! Thanks! :)
PONGTARDED View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONGTARDED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2010 at 1:58am
Thread from page one of equipment forum: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31378

Or even better: http://www.mytabletennis.org/forum/search_form.asp?FID=0

To answer your question, they appear to be identical or nearly identical blades from what I have read.  You will read people claiming to the contrary, but you must remember that two samples of same blade often play differently, so it is not all that surprising or significant that some people are finding slight differences between their one TBS and one TB ALC.
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/10/2010 at 9:47pm
If you look at the blade chart at butterfly.co.jp those two blades are placed at the exact same spot when it comes to speed/feel.

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 8:38pm
Only difference worth noting is price and having what Timo Boll uses now as opposed to the greater majority of his Career.

I think the most important difference will come from the weight you can order either of them if you are going to talk about speed.
My tenergy 05 blog & Table Tennis Video channel.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 9:03pm
The FL handles are different as well, not drastically but noticeable.  Personally I prefer the Spirit, it just "feels" better, especially older ones before BTY started putting serial numbers on the face.
::: Timo Boll ZLC :::
:::::: T05|FX-P ::::::
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 9:21pm
boll series handle felt dam nice to me, especially the zlf - perfect in my hand.
Carbon TT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carbon TT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 9:23pm
To clarify, I meant the ball feel of the blade, not the handle.
::: Timo Boll ZLC :::
:::::: T05|FX-P ::::::
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 5:26pm
ive heard many times on this forum that the alc feels slightly stiffer
H3
YEO
Omega IV Pro
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by walleyeguy7 walleyeguy7 wrote:

ive heard many times on this forum that the alc feels slightly stiffer

I've heard that too. A salesperson at Paddle Palace said today that the difference between the two is that the TBS is 5-plies wood + 2-plies carbon-arylate; whereas, the ALC is 3-plies wood + 2-plies carbon-arylate, resulting in the ALC being stiffer and having a harder feel.

Makes sense to me, but I'm no expert.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 11:46pm
that doesnt really make sense as the more plys the stiffer something feels
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by bozbrisvegas bozbrisvegas wrote:

that doesnt really make sense as the more plys the stiffer something feels

I don't know about that... One-plies are as stiff as they come.

Of course, I think it depends on the plies of the woods involved as well as the gluing process.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 11:53pm
no way in the world a 1 ply hinoki is as stiff as a 7 ply

sure all the glues make a difference but if you want talk about being able to break something to see how stiff it is, I would choose the 1 ply if I am doing those stupid kung fu videos

hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 11:58pm

no way in the world a 1 ply hinoki is as stiff as a 7 ply

sure all the glues make a difference but if you want talk about being able to break something to see how stiff it is, I would choose the 1 ply if I am doing those stupid kung fu videos

I don't know how I can convince you, so I won't try. Well... maybe one time. Wink

If you really think a 7-ply blade is stiffer than a one-ply then I think we have different definitions of stiff.

Of course breaking a 7-ply is more difficult, primarily because plywood will flex more. Stiffness doesn't necessarily make something stronger. In fact, it makes it more brittle because it cannot give. Plywood can give more... up to a certain point, of course.

walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 1:16am
the alc and the tbs are both 7 plies, same koto outer ply, even the exact same thickness of 5.7mm. so, i dont know why the alc would be stiffer. if the materials are identical, maybe the thicknesses of the plies are different.

the more plies you add to something the more stiff it will be. single ply cypress jpen blades are stiffer than a tbs because they are usually 9-11mm thick. the reason they split is because of the uniform grain, the plies glued together to make a multi-ply blade obviously ammend that.
H3
YEO
Omega IV Pro
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 1:23am
anton you never said how thick your 1 ply is an that is the biggest factor you have overlooked, and also which point something is stiff from.

If i hold the handle of a 1 ply all the grain running the same direction sure it is stiff, if hold the side of the blade I can prob feel more vibrations and more give.

I am talking overall stiffness and sweetspot and If i remember correctly, the last poster is correct the plies are the same.

Butterfly most prob makes huge sheets of the 2 woods with alc fibre in the middle, and just slaps more kiri or whatever in the middle and cuts the shapes.

really who cares, they are the same bloody blade, save your money buy the cheapest one!
7plywood View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7plywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 10:56pm

really who cares, they are the same bloody blade, save your money buy the cheapest one!

I think this is true statement. The difference people feel is just individual copy variations. The ALC I tried felt about the same speed as the TBS I use. Any difference in speed I would attribute more to rubbers being more beaten up on one of them.
Plies look identical to me, so the difference is in the handle.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by 7plywood 7plywood wrote:

The difference people feel is just individual copy variations... Plies look identical to me, so the difference is in the handle.

+1
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2010 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

A salesperson at Paddle Palace said today that the difference between the two is that the TBS is 5-plies wood + 2-plies carbon-arylate; whereas, the ALC is 3-plies wood + 2-plies carbon-arylate

PP lied to you. The plies are identical.

I don't know much about 1 plies, but generally speaking, in plywood blades the more plies, the stiffer a blade is. For example, its easy to assume most "5-ply" wood blades are going to be more flexible than "7-ply" blades. And the Yasaka Leo Hinoki 9 is stiffer than the Leo Hinoki 7.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic