FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Nittaku Hammond Pro Beta
    Posted: 01/14/2010 at 12:56am
Hey guys I just added a review for Hammond Pro β @ Haggisv's forum:

http://www.ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=11191

This rubber is awesome!!! Star
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 5:29am
oh sweet, iv been waiting for a review of this rubber!

how is this beast for bh drives?  flat smacking has always been the bread and butter for my bh shots but i want to be able to loop also.

also where can i get this?  if its what i imagine, this is the rubber iv been waiting for!
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 6:09am
Originally posted by ohhgourami ohhgourami wrote:

oh sweet, iv been waiting for a review of this rubber!

how is this beast for bh drives?  flat smacking has always been the bread and butter for my bh shots but i want to be able to loop also.

also where can i get this?  if its what i imagine, this is the rubber iv been waiting for!

I find it very responsive. Adding topspin to drives is almost effortless thanks to the newly designed topsheet. I use me backhand to open up most topspin rallies and this sheet really makes the ball kick.

You can now buy it at Paddle Palace:
http://www.paddlepalace.com/Hammond-Pro-Beta/productinfo/RNHAB/
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 11:13am
I also got Hammond Pro Beta a few days ago. I definitely has to get broken in before the beast can be tamed at all but BH drives are like bullets and very controllable. BH loops have that low, fast and very spinny look about them a la Hurricane 2. Thaidog's review was much more in depth but I want more time before I pass judgement. Smile
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 11:35am
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 11:43am
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 11:52am
I just read the review, that was excellent.  How long have you been using it for now? And how often do you play?
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 11:55am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

url tags are your friend - DIRECT LINK TO REVIEW

Thanks, I fixed that...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 12:11pm
Great review.

I can grasp that its faster and spinnier than T64, but is the throw lower than T64? And what about reaction to spin compared to T64, and soft feeling on bh brush/control loops?

Its well known that T64 is less spinny (lower throw) and has a softer "feel" than T05, but 64 is still too spinny (reactive to spin, high throw) and too hard (for brushing and controlled looping) for my bh.

I liked the Nittaku Renanos Bright series OK, but ultimately they were a little too slow and the topsheets were much too slick. I definitely want to try Pro�.

mshur View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 12:18pm
I agree , very good review . I have this rubber on my Fh and its exellent . Switch from T64 and so far so good..been only 2 weeks, but i think i finally found what ive been looking.
mshur View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mshur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Great review.

I can grasp that its faster and spinnier than T64, but is the throw lower than T64? And what about reaction to spin compared to T64, and soft feeling on bh brush/control loops?

Its well known that T64 is less spinny (lower throw) and has a softer "feel" than T05, but 64 is still too spinny (reactive to spin, high throw) and too hard (for brushing and controlled looping) for my bh.

I liked the Nittaku Renanos Bright series OK, but ultimately they were a little too slow and the topsheets were much too slick. I definitely want to try Pro�.

ProB is definately softer then t64. this was one of my reasons that i didnt like T64.. To hard for my game, i like softer feel.  ProB have a little less spin then T64.  overall controll is good, good for blocking as well..
Definately recomend to try this rubber
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 2:13pm

yes i read the review but nothing was mentioned for flat drives Wink

oooo deciding when i want to purchase a sheet! 
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 3:47pm

yes i read the review but nothing was mentioned for flat drives Wink

oooo deciding when i want to purchase a sheet! 

hammond is the classic rubber for flat drives.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

I just read the review, that was excellent.  How long have you been using it for now? And how often do you play?

I have just had Beta for a few days now... i try to play everyday if I can or at least every other day. I plan on keeping this on my backhand. I have the Cary Cup tournament in March that I will be using it at also.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 6:14pm
=___= Must...have...ugh. Just bought a sheet of Narucross so this'll have to wait.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 6:18pm
hehe i was about to cop a sheet of renanos bright soft too.  good thing i hesitated.  still hesitating on this...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 6:22pm

hehe i was about to cop a sheet of renanos bright soft too.  good thing i hesitated.  still hesitating on this...
Why hesitate? What is it about backhand drives you are looking for specifically in a rubber?

I am loving my sheet on my BH so far.
tpgh2k View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpgh2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 6:24pm
sounds like it might be in the same category as joola x-plode to me. i felt like t64 was much too wild on my YEO also. i'll have to give this one a shot too...

but dang....$47 for a sheet?!?!!? i'll stick to my cheaper rubbers then =(
www.youtube.com/gsutabletennis
Timo Boll Spirit FL
H3 Blue Sponge Black FH
Tenergy 64 Red BH

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/14/2010 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Why hesitate? What is it about backhand drives you are looking for specifically in a rubber?

I am loving my sheet on my BH so far.
i want a rubber that is soft so i can loop over and close table and open easily without the ball slipping off.  once i take a step back, i can flat smack bullets like a madman.

i love Energy but i just cant loop close to table with it.  Express 2 is would fit my style but its too mushy for smacking especially on the HK655.

Originally posted by tpgh2k tpgh2k wrote:

sounds like it might be in the same category as joola x-plode to me. i felt like t64 was much too wild on my YEO also. i'll have to give this one a shot too...

probably except id imagine HPB to be much lighter.  i wouldnt be able to play H3 neo AND xplode on the same blade, much too heavy.  my setup is currently at 185g and it feels perfect.  a bit more weight might be ok but i think xplode would be too much.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
BTY T64
210g
qynthnghm View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qynthnghm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 2:45am

It's good to be patient! Pro Alpha is now down to around $26. Guess I'll just draw a beta character on my alpha sheet. >__>
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 3:11am
Originally posted by qynthnghm qynthnghm wrote:

It's good to be patient! Pro Alpha is now down to around $26. Guess I'll just draw a beta character on my alpha sheet. >__>

LOL
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 8:48am
Couple of Q's about your review:

During speed comparisons, you state that Hammond Pro Alpha is the equivalent of Glued Up Bryce and I just got confused there (especially because you were basing other conclusions on that statement).

Glued up HPA has some similarities to Glued Bryce. Unglued, it is nowhere near as fast as glued Bryce.

Your assertion made it difficult for me to swallow or follow the comparisons to T64 speed.

Care to clarify?
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 9:18am
Can someone specify the exact differences between t64 or even bryce speed? It seems it is a less spinny lower throw t64?
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 9:39pm

yes i read the review but nothing was mentioned for flat drives Winkoooo deciding when i want to purchase a sheet!�

what racket are you using with Beta and T64 before?
Regarding speed, how could you compare with T64?
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by Fruit loop Fruit loop wrote:

Can someone specify the exact differences between t64 or even bryce speed? It seems it is a less spinny lower throw t64?

The difference that I notice is more spin. In the short game and slow loops. The sheet feels less hard than T64 also. I have not tried Bryce Speed so I can not compare that.

@icontek - I played glued Bryce for a long time and *glued* HPA feels very similar to me... It did not prove quite as spinny as glued Bryce to me but slightly more controllable.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/15/2010 at 11:27pm
I already wrote my opinion on the other forum disagreeing with thaidog. I feel Pro Beta is slower and less spinny than T64.

At least for the time being (my sheet is still practically new), Pro Beta really just feels like a mildly speed glued Hammond with better topsheet performance. That in itself should already be a pretty attractive proposition for a lot people who used to use Hammond variants before. It also has that Nittaku rubber feel that I find hard to describe.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 12:53am
Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

I already wrote my opinion on the other forum disagreeing with thaidog. I feel Pro Beta is slower and less spinny than T64.

At least for the time being (my sheet is still practically new), Pro Beta really just feels like a mildly speed glued Hammond with better topsheet performance. That in itself should already be a pretty attractive proposition for a lot people who used to use Hammond variants before. It also has that Nittaku rubber feel that I find hard to describe.

And I concede that my use of Tenergy is less than MildSeven. What I know for a fact however is that Pro Beta is a serious step up from the Alpha version. I played side by side with Alpha (tuned with Butterfly Optimizer One) and the Beta version is much more spinny and at least as fast. I absolutely enjoy hitting with it and will be keeping it as my backhand rubber for the foreseeable future.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 1:09am
yes, and we both agree its a big step forward for Hammond. This one I can play without speedglue while the others I have given up on since the ban. I also wrote that its better than Renanos Bright Hard, if that offering placed any doubt in anyone's mind about Nittaku being able to offer a good performing product after the glue ban.
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by MildSeven MildSeven wrote:

I have gone through quite a few sheets of T05 and have had extended trials (1 hour or more) of T64 so I have a pretty good feel for it too. In fact someone wanted to try out my racket so we switched and he had T64 on his. Going back and forth directly like that was a good way to compare. T64 was slightly firmer than Pro Beta, but only slightly. I feel that Pro Beta is a notch faster in outright speed and that they are equal in spin. Pro Beta throws lower and I like that on my BH. It might also have to do something with technique differences between people and the results we see. Either way; on Paddle Palace T64 is $56.99 and Pro Beta is $46.95. Pro Beta for the win Tongue
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/16/2010 at 8:37pm
Yes I would say that the price is actually pretty good. Especially considering it's a Japanese product and not a ESN type rubber that may be more mass produced and therefore less expensive. Right now the durability seems to be very good so it's worth the price. 
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic