FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Review: Xiom Vega Pro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2010 at 7:11am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

My Vega Pro and Asia both 2.0 just arrived. Will post a review when I have tried it.

Which type of glue will you be using on them?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Sponsored Links

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2010 at 8:07am
don't know yet. i have butterfly water glue and regular non-speed glue. is it safe to use non-water glue?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2010 at 8:20am
I wish that non water glue can be used but i really don't know. If you have to use water base maybe best to use Haifu WSB or Nittaku Finezip.

Butterfly Free Chack is hard to remove from the rubber.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2010 at 12:33pm
I used Elmer's Rubber Cement and I don't see any problems with my Vega Pro.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2010 at 5:55pm
Can't get Elmer's in Malaysia. No one sells it. But it may be available in Singapore as i have seen some DIY shops sell Elmer's products but didn't see No Wrinkle Rubber Cement or i would bought one immediately.

I guess using Haifu Speed Glue will kill this cool looking rubber.

@addoydude: you might have to look at the bigger DIY shops because i didn't actively search for it.

They have 2 versions of rubber cement. If memory serves me correct, it should be this one.

http://www.elmers.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?item=975&sectionid=1&catid=1

P.S Sorry for derailing this topic a bit. Back the Vega Pro reviews Big%20smile

Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 2:16am
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

If memory serves me correct, it should be this one.

http://www.elmers.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?item=975&sectionid=1&catid=1

P.S Sorry for derailing this topic a bit. Back the Vega Pro reviews Big%20smile

Yes, that's the stuff. I bet in Malaysia you can get something very similar.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 2:26am
My friend the engineer finally measured hardness of the Vega Pro rubber.

It's around 36 for the topsheet and 28-29 for the sponge which is amazingly low - the sponge however is very porous indeed, and feels very soft. Springy though...

Anyways, I played with it today once more and I should say - this is not a rubber for me.

First of all, a tensor-like catapult effect is there and it bugs me to heck.

Second, I guess the combination of harder topsheet and soft sponge provides for some pretty strange bounce once in a while - and that probably on top of the catapult.

it's quite decent on both FH and BH - but it's for tensor lovers only. In comparison with Tenergy 05, I should say that T-05 is certainly harder, with a somewhat higher throw, a bit faster yet. Here is a short comparison table, and I threw in Outlaw since I use it a lot and for an extra data point. (here << sign means that one number is noticeably less than the other, and < sign means a smaller difference)

Speed: VPro << T-05 < Outlaw
Spin: Outlaw < VPro << T-05
Control: T-05 < VPro << Outlaw
Throw angle: Outlaw << VPro < T-05
Weight: Outlaw << T-05 = VPro
Catapult: T-05 < VPro (Outlaw is linear rubber, no catapult)
Hardness: VPro << Outlaw < T-05
Tackiness: none for all three, V-Pro being the most glass-like of them

thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 2:56am
Jim, I had the same reaction to Vega Asian as you did with Vega Pro. I didn't want a soft sponged rubber and Asian is even softer with more catapult effect I assume. Nice review though.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 11:40am
I will give it to a clubmate of mine who is playing with LKT Torrent so he is used to a catapult. He will play with it and give me some more impressions on the rubber.

Then, just for the heck of it, I will put it on Dexter as soon as it arrives. Just want to see if perhaps a different blade will make a difference for both Vega Pro and T-05. So far I didn't like either one of them on my Friendship V-6.

addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:35am
played 2 hours with my vega pro 2.0 FH and vega asia 2.0 BH. Blade was Xiom Aria. overall impression is quite good. i think i got distracted from really appreciating the rubber because it was drastically heavier than my previous setup (Omega 3 Asian 2.0 and Omega 3 Euro 2.0). Racket weight was 184grams, not too heavy, but i came from 170grams with the O3s.

Definitely harder than the O3s. Even the vega asian feels harder than the O3 asian. The O3 topsheet is more supple and really bites the ball. The Vega also has good grip but with the harder topsheet there's not as much feeling of catching the ball, holding it, and then catapulting it out like with the O3s. Vega Asia is a bit faster than the O3 Euro but probably same as O3 Asia. O3 Pro probably has more top-end. On the lower end of the gears the Vega performed much better than the O3s. O3s were too bouncy.
Blocking seems less explosive than O3 by a bit but more control.

Right now I still like the feeling of the softer O3s except for the short game. Vega wins on short game but O3 wins on all others -- just my first impression. As I said, the caveat here is that there was a big weight difference, so I was suddenly playing with a racket that's 14grams heavier, so vega suffered the comparison just by being less nimble and sluggish to handle.
loopool View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loopool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:52am
I'm pretty sure its not a great idea.....but i tuned my Vega Pro with JUIC Ecolo Shot.  Just wanted to soften up the sponge a bit.  First tested on the extra rubber after cutting.  the top sheet did not seem to separate from the sponge. so i went and tuned the rubber.

It feels softer....loops better, spins better.  just about everything is better.
Its probably not good for the long run,,,
TBS
FH: TENERGY 05
BH: XIOM VEGA PRO

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 8:27am
CloseMid FH:

Tenergy 05?

Vega pro?

Mark V HPS?

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 6:22am
thanks for the review JimT

I realise you are reviewing from your point of view, which seems to hate catapult, interesting.

I'm still thinking Vega Pro sounds like Hexer.

Neither can come close to my baby
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 10:44am
The sheet I tried was a lot slower than Hexer, even slower than Barracuda.  These various rubbers that have sponges that look a bit like Tenergy do not all play alike, that is for certain. Of course, the three Tenergys are all different too, so it is not that surprising.  The sheet of Vega Pro I tried was so dead and non-linear that I almost wonder if I got a defective sheet or something.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 6:31pm
No, I think you are right - it is not too lively, not too fast and rather non-linear. A non-starter for me... alas.

bestpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bestpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2010 at 10:23pm
I put the Xiom Vega Pro Max black on my Yasaka Maxwood Off+ blade.

My current U.S.A.T.T. rating is mid 1900's (but can beat a lot of low to mid 2000 players) , but over 20+ years ago, it was almost 2100. Stopped playing TT in 1977, and came back in 2000. Then stopped playing from 2003-2005, and got back to it again in 2006.

Played for about 2 hours yesterday, and about 3 hours today.

My impressions:

The packaging looks very nice. Once I opened it up, I was impressed with the quality of the topsheet; it has a nice shine to it, not tacky, but skeptical about the black sponge, which seemed a little porous, compared to other rubber/sponges I've used. However, the sponge seems to have some similarities with T05 max I have on my other Yasaka Maxwood blade.

Speed: Definitely slower than T05 or Gambler Outlaw. If I were  to rate the 3 rubbers, it would be T05 max >Gambler Outlaw max >Vega Pro Max
However, like someone else previously posted, it has a lower gear when hitting touch shots, which is an ADVANTAGE over the other 2 rubbers. I was having trouble with touch shots with both T05 and Outlaw, but with Vega Pro, I had no problem.

Spin:  T05> Vega Pro > Gambler Outlaw

I thought it definitely was not as spinny as the T05, but my opponents were telling me that Vega Pro seemed deceptively spinny, and some of them said that they were having more difficulty returning my serves when I used Vega Pro, compared to T05 or Gambler Outlaw.

Looping:  Vega Pro > T05 > Gambler Outlaw 

This is where I thought Vega Pro was excellent! I really liked how T05 and Gambler Outlaw played when I looped; T05 had a higher thrower than Outlaw, but the speed was pretty close.  However, due to their high speed, I didn't have a really good control, but when I tried the Vega Pro, I definitely had better control, and didn't lose too much in terms of speed nor spin. I'd say speed wise, about 90-95% of T05 and Gambler, but due to slightly being slower, better control.

Smash:  Vega Pro > T05 > Gambler Outlaw

When hitting flat smash shots, I thought Vega Pro again was the best, comparing it to T05 and Gambler Outlaw.

Pushing/Flips:  Vega Pro > T05 > Gambler Outlaw
As stated above, for performing the touch shots, such as pushes or flips, I thought Vega Pro was the best for me.

Blocking:  Vega Pro > T05 > Gambler Outlaw

Vega Pro is excellent for blocking. I had some trouble blocking with T05 and Outlaw due to both of these rubbers being so bouncy, but with Vega Pro, I had better control with the blocks.

I've tried the Vega Pro, both on F/H and BH, and they were excellent for either one.

I've just received the Vega Asian Max Red and put it on another Yasaka Maxwood, and played for about 3 hours.

Speed: Vega Asian Max is definitely faster than Vega Pro, but less spinny. It almost felt like playing with T05, with slight lesser throw, but better control.

Blocking was even better than Vega Pro, but pushing and flipping shots were a little more difficult, compared to Vega Pro. It was as difficult as using the T05 or Gambler Outlaw.

Looping: A lot faster with slightly lower throw than Vega Pro.

Spin: Less spinny than Vega pro, but still has some spin, according to my opponents when I pushed or served with Vega Asian.

I think I've found my rubber/sponge combination for now.

I just hope these rubbers last as long as T05, because so far the durability of T05 is really impressive!  I try out different combinations of rubber/sponge on different blades, but so far I've found the T05 to be the most durable rubber I've used since getting back to Table Tennis i 2000, after almost 20+ years of being away from the sport.

Will keep you guys updated as to how the Vega rubbers hold up.

Anybody have a good review of Vega Euro because I might want to try that one as well.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 11:22am
Thanks, bestpong, that's a nice big review!

manyaku88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manyaku88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/28/2010 at 2:54pm
http://www.presports.com/xiom-vega-pro-rubber-p-1654.html?zenid=569210762e573d82b972d0fb257c2b88

they say available from 5th february
Blade: Bty BalsaCarbo X5 FL

FH Bty Tenergy 05 2.1

BH: Palio Aeolus 45* 2.2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 11:15am
My clubmate (around 1500 USATT) played with my blade (Galaxy W-1) with Tenergy 05 on one side and Xiom Vega Pro on the other.

He commented that he liked Tenergy more - better reliability and more spin, which he likes. Still, on BH Vega Pro was quite decent.

He was comparing it with LKT Torrent that he usually plays and, of course, he mentioned that Vega is heavier. Spin, he believes, is about the same for Torrent and Vega Pro - same about hardness, but he will re-check on that info by measuring his Torrent's hardness.

More or less, he feels that Vega Pro might be a slight improvement on Torrent but he is not sure if it's worth almost triple the price. As for Tenergy 05, he is a bit more enthusiastic but again, compared to 4 times the price he intends to stick to Torrents for now.

He didn't feel much catapult there but I suspect that he compares Vega's behavior to Torrent's so they must be not too different in that regard.

That is it from me. My Vega Pro is now on its way to bestpong who intends to give us some more info on it and play with it more as he likes it a lot (see his detailed review above).

Kalin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by loopool loopool wrote:

I'm pretty sure its not a great idea.....but i tuned my Vega Pro with JUIC Ecolo Shot.  Just wanted to soften up the sponge a bit.  First tested on the extra rubber after cutting.  the top sheet did not seem to separate from the sponge. so i went and tuned the rubber.

It feels softer....loops better, spins better.  just about everything is better.
Its probably not good for the long run,,,
I did the same thing, but with Stiga Extreme booster and the rubber performed much better. Before boosting, it was too slow for me and now it performs almost as well as Tenergy 05.
Setup:

Blade:BTY Viscaria
FH:Andro Rasant (1,9 mm Blk)BH:Soulspin P12(1,8 mm Red)
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 12:02pm
JimT,

good to see someone who still plays torrent. i had a good feeling about that rubber... but deserted it for 2 reasons,
- losing surface grip too soon
- non linearity in mid range
the great thing of course is that that rubber got the sponge hardness absolutely right. nothing is better.

now question...
when he says an improvement on torrent, does it mean the speed glue effect is minimal? because on my hexer i found the glue effect is quite prominant... and vega pro has the same DNA
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

now question...
when he says an improvement on torrent, does it mean the speed glue effect is minimal? because on my hexer i found the glue effect is quite prominant... and vega pro has the same DNA

He didn't play a lot with Vega - under an hour, and he is still a a developing player, so his feelings were rather vague there. I myself noticed the catapult right away but this is no wonder since I play with linear rubbers.

My understanding was that effect was more or less on par with Torrent.

bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/29/2010 at 2:10pm
I myself noticed the catapult right away but this is no wonder since I play with linear rubbers.

I noticeed the BIG catapult right away too, actually a little too much than what I like.

www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 4:59am
update after 2 weeks (12 hours of play).  Vega Pro is slower than Asia. I'm using Asia on the backhand. I think Pro is easier to use, more spinny, and more bite. 

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 6:13am
Originally posted by addoydude addoydude wrote:

update after 2 weeks (12 hours of play).� Vega Pro is slower than Asia.�I'm using Asia on the backhand. I think Pro is easier to use, more spinny, and more bite.�

Can you tell me what makes Asia more difficult to control?

When I had Pro the source of all troubles for me was its non-linearity. I have no problems playing with Roxon 500.

Is Asia faster on all shots or just hard ones? How much faster is the Asia?
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 7:11am
this is just comparing Asia vs Pro. Pro is easier to control because it is slower and bites the ball more. Compared to previous Tensor from Xiom (Omega III) both Vegas have more control.

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 10:48am
Thank you.

The higher speed sounds good so I have a sheet of Asia max coming.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 4:20pm

Last night I had my second brief 10 minutes using vega pro on my friends blade.   This time it was his timo boll spark.

I really thought wow, this is really easy to loop, it felt much better than the hexer on my ishlion, so I'm thinking pairing the Hexer or the Vega is essential.

Timo Boll spark felt reaaaaaaaaallllly nice.  Or was it the Vega Pro that made it so good?   hard to tell but it would seem that they were perfect together near and about a metre from the table. 
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
tomaca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomaca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2010 at 7:24am
After 1 month of intense game made me a small balloon,so much about the durability of rubber,I have heard that I'm not the only one with this problem

Edited by tomaca - 12/04/2010 at 7:26am
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2010 at 8:11am
What a coincidence! I was just complaining about it a while ago....
Look at mine´s:

I´ll try to upload some clearer pics in a while...

Edited by jonyer1980 - 12/04/2010 at 8:13am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic