Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Review: Nexy Dexter FL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Review: Nexy Dexter FL
    Posted: 01/21/2010 at 10:04pm
Got Nexy Dexter FL, 88 g from Nexy. Yay!

Official webpage for Dexter

My photos:

Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 10:05pm
Initial data and impressions:

Weight: 88 g
Handle/type: FL/shakehand (see photos above)
Craftsmanship: impeccable finish, great look, very well made blade
Balance: seems as good as Color in that regard, and that, as you already know, is saying something.
Plies: 5. Hinoki - Horizontally Laid Spruce - Ayous - H.L.S. - Hinoki. It seems that compared to Color the only layer which is visibly thicker is central one made of Ayous. Mr.Moon has mentioned that the outer layers of Hinoki are also a touch thicker but I cannot determine that without a microscope Tongue

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 10:05pm
OK, here follows my second and final review of Nexy Dexter.

It will be devoted mostly to its comparison with Nexy Color, and sometimes with some other blades.

1) Balance. Dexter is more head-heavy which is no surprise as its construction is identical to Color but with the thicker central and outer layers. Where Color is so perfectly balanced you do not even feel 92-93 g of its weight in your hand, my Dexter with its 88-89 g weight was noticeably less comfortable in my grip, and sometimes it hindered my switching from FH attack to BH block or attack.

Result: Color wins hands down.

2) Speed. Dexter is more attack-inclined so its speed is a bit higher than Color's. Its balance helps with flat shots and smashes, as well as power shots from distance.

Result: Dexter is about 10% faster

3) Control. Here Color wins rather confidently. Despite its thinner (just by smidgen) outer layers of Hinoki, it has softer touch and performs better in slow and medium strokes, on the table and a step-two away. Dexter's control is still very good for a fast blade, better for instance than Clipper's or Galaxy W-1's.

Result: Dexter loses to Color by the same 10%

4) Looping. Dexter is somewhat better in power loops, especially from distance when you are not so much concerned about precise placement and/or spin, but Color is certainly better at the table and for slower, higher-throw looping.

Result: overall, Color is better on average, and certainly better close to the table. Dexter is a little stiffer but still has a good amount of flex.

5) Blocking. They are more or less equal. Dexter's blocks are a tad faster but angle has to be controlled tighter.

Result: Dexter and Color are similar and more or less equal in this area.

6) Defense. Since defense is more about control than power and speed, then it is no surprise that Color fared a bit better there.

Result: Dexter loses by 15-20%. It is an OFF blade, so no wonder.

7) Short game. If we are talking about gentle pushes and placement shots like slices and such, then Color is naturally better at that. Dexter deals better when you do fast flicks and short punch blocks which you need to be fast and crisp. Where Color could be quite gentle in short pushes, Dexter is often a touch too bouncy and a bit out of balance so it tends to be too straightforward and un-complicated.

Result: Dexter loses to Color but is definitely better than almost all non-soft blades I have tried like W-1 or Stiga Clipper or Carbo Oversize or Galaxy T-4. Its outer Hinoki layers are, of course, helping a lot with this aspect of the game.

8) Flat attack and smashes. This is the only part of the game, imho, where Dexter prevails a bit over Color. Once again, no surprise - it is stiffer and faster, so no big whoop.

Result: In this aspect Dexter wins over Color by 10%

===========

My overall impression - Dexter is a very good OFF blade. It has more control in short game than almost all all-wood OFF blades I ever played with, and at the same time its degree of stiffness/flex is just right to provide for equally good looping and powerful flat hits. I would probably gladly play with it if I didn't have Color.

Erikson45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erikson45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 10:09pm
*is anxiously awaiting this review*
Rutis
FH: H3
BH: T64
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2010 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

First review post reserved

I get it now!!!!

I had always seen people do this but I didn't get why

What a good idea, everything makes sense now haha
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 3:29am
Jim T

Did you get rubbers too? and if so, were they attached to the blade or in the packets as new?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 3:48am
Exciting... Big%20smile
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 5:10am
Last time I had my blades a day after JimT so it's cool to read I'll have mine coming tomorrow or Saturday morning at the latest (?)
thethinker View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 5:12am
I can't wait to find out who gets what!
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 5:13am
you'll get what you asked I think.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Peter C Peter C wrote:

Jim T

Did you get rubbers too? and if so, were they attached to the blade or in the packets as new?

Yes, I got two Demian rubbers but I don't want to install them on Dexter because then I would have to deal with a combination of two unknowns. It's best if I test Dexter with two known reliable rubbers to get a proper response from the blade. Then later I will install Demians on one of my other blades - perhaps Galaxy W-1. And review will follow of course.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/22/2010 at 11:54am
Also - will upload photos in a few minutes. Right now the blade is being varnished. I am not going to make the same mistake as I did with Color.

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 6:13am
Have just received Dexter ST 87g with two demians (max and 2.0). Thank you again M.Moon and Mytt team for putting me in this test program.
First I would like to say that I've never had such safe and secured shipment. This is 100% securely packed and people who did it took  great care. Congrats !
Packaging is top notch. It has nothing to envy to best brands. Extra service is given with weight notice on handle which is very accurate according to my own scale.
Dexter has beautiful green colors. This is definitely something you do not meet elsewhere. I very much like roundish/ovo�dal straight handle, very comfortable !
Compared to color, it is thicker. Close to 7.0mm vs 6.2mm. It is also a bit longer 15.7mm vs 15.5mm. Width is the same. Handle lengh is also the same. I mesured 10.1mm.
I'm not an expert in wood species, but apart outer hinoki, inner plies do not look similar. I trust Jimt for that.
I have also apply 1 layer of varnish (joola).
I hope Jimt, you don't mind I have entered my first findings in your topic. If so I can remove it easily and create a new one, but I think it might be interresting to compare here our impressions since we both had the color and much liked it. Is it ok for you ?
Ps : I do not have such nice camera and photo skills as Jimt so pls refer to his for that. Also tak9.com site has such nice photos that I don't feel like to add mines. Thank you for your understanding.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 7:11am
jcdi as they say here you are so usesful
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 3:07pm
Put LKT Rapid Speed 2.2 and Gambler Outlaw 2.2 on my Dexter. Used Elmer's for easy peeling later on. Water glue is fine and dandy when you are gluing something for a long time but not if you intend to change rubbers a lot.

Will finally test play on Monday!

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 3:55pm
First test tonight.
About 2 hours.
Dressed with trusty yasaka xtend hs max red fh and black 2.0mm bh.
I've added, as usual, thin tennis overgrip on handle. Altogether one of the most comfy handle I've ever had.
I was seconded by my fellow masterping who owns more than 160 blades including nexy color/sahara/hannibal.
We both found it faster than color, of course since it's 6.8mm thick compared to 6.2mm. But not that much faster. It is still very controllable. Speed is in the range of Korbel SK7 or Xiom Fuga or stiga clipper .
I was at ease immediatly. Eventhow it's a bit too fast to my taste, I was consistant and effective. I haven't lost one set and felt confident on every shot. No bad surprises, no wonder. It's a straight and trusty off blade.
However, I would like to make a distinction in between one gear blades and two (or multiple...) gear blades.  One gear blade is the blade which always gives you same response whatever kind of shot you're making. Two gears are ones who are slow on slow shots and fast on fast shots, see what I mean...(sorry for my poor english). For instance Nexy Oscar is a typical two gears blade...
All this to say, Dexter is a ONE gear blade. To those looking for a faster color, it will not be exactly what you are looking for. It is about 10-15% faster, but the feel isn't 10-15% lower than color. it's ...different...very good but slightly different. I could play with that blade without any problem if I hadn't my actual main blade. It's pairing very well with medium 42.5� german tensors. I'll try it next time with softer and harder rubbers. We'll see...
My friend liked it a lot but he fancies so much Sahara (apart the square ST handle which has to be modified...) that nothing else counts at the mmnt.

It is too soon to make final statements at this stage but it's definitaly a great blade. Will it please everybody, certainly not ! Nexy has created a short but already very complete list of blades. Each and everyone of them is matching some players expectations. I've tested now color, oscar, hannibal, sahara and dexter. I have liked very much color, oscar, hannibal and dexter. Sahara is a mystery for me, but my friend loves it. That proves to me that nexy has already achieved something very valuable. To meet more than one's requirement... Their blades are superiorly crafted. Packaging is superb. Prices are in the low range of this type of product. In other words, very competitive.
I'll be brief (I know, I haven't...), M.Moon Nexy : Thumbs up !
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by jcdi jcdi wrote:

... Dexter is a ONE gear blade. To those looking for a faster color, it will not be exactly what you are looking for. It is about 10-15% faster, but the feel isn't 10-15% lower than color. it's ...different...very good but slightly different.

jcdi, are you saying that Color is a 2-gear blade but Dexter is not? Interesting! I am about four hours away from testing Dexter myself...

Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 4:55pm

... Dexter is a ONE gear blade. To those looking for a faster color, it will not be exactly what you are looking for. It is about 10-15% faster, but the feel isn't 10-15% lower than color. it's ...different...very good but slightly different.

jcdi, are you saying that Color is a 2-gear blade but Dexter is not? Interesting! I am about four hours away from testing Dexter myself...
No sorry, maybe I misexplaned myself. Oscar is a 2 gear blade, not dexter !
To be honest, for color I don't know whether it's one or two gears. All I know is that it's too slow for me...Whatever kind of shot I make, I'm missing some speed...It doesn't prevent color from offering feel and feedback of its own. It will satisfyl the most demanding Off- blade player expectations, but I'm not one of them...
Dexter and oscar, it's different. These two are exactly in my speed range, so I can differentiate them sharply because I'm used to this kind of blades.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 10:09pm
I have played a little with Dexter - about 20 mins... not much.

1) yes, it is somewhat faster than Color. Nicely balanced, though.

2. I think I see what jcdi meant about 1 gear - for instance, Color has gentle touch and great short game, and when you execute slow shot, the ball is going slow. It doesn't seem so with Dexter - it is still rather bouncy even on slow gentle pushes. Or perhaps it is just the rubber...

I will play more on Wednesday and post a real review then - in the second post of the thread.

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2010 at 7:03pm
JCDI

So how do the Hannibal and Dexter, compare to the Color?

Is the Hannibal also a one gear blade, like the Dexter; in your experience?

Do you prefer the Dexter or Hannibal and why?
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/27/2010 at 1:56am
Color provides such a nice feel that it is hard to compare it to Dexter or Hannibal. Color is slower than Dexter by 15% (personal and very subjective estimation...). After last night session, I'd say Color is 2 gears while Dexter is 1 gear. Surprisingly, I can perform slow and spinny loops very easily with Dexter although it is more rigid (due to extra thickness).
Hannibal, for the short time I've had it, looked to me as a rigid, 1 gear offensive carbon blade, very nice for hitting, blocking. I found it difficult to loop with but really don't take that for granted because it wasn't my rubbers on it.
Therefore, so far, I prefer Dexter over Hannibal. Better feel, more skills.
I feel like it is useless to compare Dexter and Color because they don't belong to the same category.
 Dexter is an OFF blade, solid, trustworthy with excellent feel, giving you the opportunity to do everything with consistency.
 Color, is OFF-. I maintain it belongs to a class of its own. It's been compared by Peter79 to Nittaku Violin, which is very smart comparaison. Peter79 likes Violin better (apparently...). For me, if I had to choose between these two, I would take the Color everyday !
Dexter and Color are made for 2 different types of game, that's why I feel like it is difficult to compare them.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2010 at 4:42pm
I finally did a detailed, long review of Dexter, following my practice on last Friday.

Check it out in the third post of this thread.

Next week - shipping it off to lildudejds, so he can play and compare it to his Hannibal.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 11:38am

Color provides such a nice feel that it is hard to compare it to Dexter or Hannibal. Color is slower than Dexter by 15% (personal and very subjective estimation...). After last night session, I'd say Color is 2 gears while Dexter is 1 gear. Surprisingly, I can perform slow and spinny loops very easily with Dexter although it is more rigid (due to extra thickness).
Hannibal, for the short time I've had it, looked to me as a rigid, 1 gear offensive carbon blade, very nice for hitting, blocking. I found it difficult to loop with but really don't take that for granted because it wasn't my rubbers on it.
Therefore, so far, I prefer Dexter over Hannibal. Better feel, more skills.
I feel like it is useless to compare Dexter and Color because they don't belong to the same category.
 Dexter is an OFF blade, solid, trustworthy with excellent feel, giving you the opportunity to do everything with consistency.
 Color, is OFF-. I maintain it belongs to a class of its own. It's been compared by Peter79 to Nittaku Violin, which is very smart comparaison. Peter79 likes Violin better (apparently...). For me, if I had to choose between these two, I would take the Color everyday !
Dexter and Color are made for 2 different types of game, that's why I feel like it is difficult to compare them.

As you can see from my final review (see third post of this thread), I am mostly in agreement with jcdi here, apart from a couple of points. I do not think it was that hard to compare Color and Dexter, but I certainly feel that Dexter is better for attacking OFF players who do not venture into allround game much. Color is no doubt way better for ALL+, OFF- players who can even switch to defense if required.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:34pm

I finally did a detailed, long review of Dexter, following my practice on last Friday.

Check it out in the third post of this thread.

Next week - shipping it off to lildudejds, so he can play and compare it to his Hannibal.

Thanks for your review, JimT (and jcdi). I had already ordered a Dexter but was starting to have "buyer's remorse" after a while, worrying if I maybe should've purchased the Color instead. However, your reviews set my mind at ease in that I think the Dexter is far more suited to my playing style. I am not an all around player, by any means. Good or bad, I'm pretty much a one-dimensional offensive player, so a one-gear offensive blade is a good fit--all the more so if it's a high-quality offensive blade.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 4:11am
I've had a chance to knock a few balls around with my Dexter, and I must say that you guys hit the nail on the head with your description. JimT, if I already had faith in your perspicacity regarding blade suggestions, then I've now advanced to a full-fledged member of the JimT cult. Big%20smile

In the offensive game, Dexter absolutely shines. Very solid feel, and it works great with my Neo H2. However, I was having a bit of difficulty at first when trying to control my short game. The blade is much springier than my Fuga, for sure. Yet, as the evening progressed, I managed to bring my short game a little more under control and I'm sure it'll only get better.

My backhand loop against underspin, a newly acquired stroke for me, was better than ever. For the topspin-oriented hyper-aggressive game, Dexter is awesome. Unfortunately, I have the bad habit of smacking my blades against the table occasionally, and I already managed to give Dexter a small battle wound. Cry

Seriously, my stomach just dropped after I hit the corner of the table when going after a deep push into my body. For as fast and stiff as Dexter is, he sure is soft. The table carved into the wood like a warm knife through butter.

Anyway, thanks for the extremely accurate review of Dexter. He is my new buddy. I'm fairly certain Dexter is the blade I'm going to settle on for a permanent setup (bye bye, Fuga--you served me well), but in order to make sure, I first have one more blade to play with... The Yasaka Leo 7.  

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I've had a chance to knock a few balls around with my Dexter, and I must say that you guys hit the nail on the head with your description. JimT, if I already had faith in your perspicacity regarding blade suggestions, then I've now advanced to a full-fledged member of the JimT cult. Big%20smile

In the offensive game, Dexter absolutely shines. Very solid feel, and it works great with my Neo H2. However, I was having a bit of difficulty at first when trying to control my short game. The blade is much springier than my Fuga, for sure. Yet, as the evening progressed, I managed to bring my short game a little more under control and I'm sure it'll only get better.

My backhand loop against underspin, a newly acquired stroke for me, was better than ever. For the topspin-oriented hyper-aggressive game, Dexter is awesome. Unfortunately, I have the bad habit of smacking my blades against the table occasionally, and I already managed to give Dexter a small battle wound. Cry

Seriously, my stomach just dropped after I hit the corner of the table when going after a deep push into my body. For as fast and stiff as Dexter is, he sure is soft. The table carved into the wood like a warm knife through butter.

Anyway, thanks for the extremely accurate review of Dexter. He is my new buddy. I'm fairly certain Dexter is the blade I'm going to settle on for a permanent setup (bye bye, Fuga--you served me well), but in order to make sure, I first have one more blade to play with... The Yasaka Leo 7.  

1. I sure like that word "perspicacity" ! Live and learn... Wink

2. Thanks for the kind words. I am not however a very advanced reviewer - some guys claim to be able to feel type and speed of rubbers merely with their fingers, some others say stuff like "blade A is 7.4% more controllable than blade B"... so I just stand back in awe when I see statements like that.

3. Put lots of edge tape on it dude!!! I told you so! Or, if you don't like that idea get a bottle of crazy glue (thick, not-too-fluid variety) and cover the edge with 0.5 or 1mm thick layer of it then wait until it hardens.

4. Glad you liked your Dexter. You should have waited a little - once lildudejds is done with the one I just mailed him, he would have sent it your way, I am sure.

5. How exactly did you order your blade - did you just email tak9 or Mr.Moon directly with description? How did you pay for it?

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 6:46pm
I emailed Mr. Moon directly and paid via Paypal. Mr. Moon was very cordial and of course I love the blade. I only have two complaints:

1) After I ordered and paid for the blade, I never heard another word. I ended up inquiring about the shipping status to Mr. Moon just one day before I received it. Based on witnessing his interactions here on the forum and in our emails, I didn't think he ripped me off or anything, but others who haven't established at least some trust might've been less at ease. In short, I guess I'm suggesting that some notification of shipment and tracking of the package would've been nice. But not a big deal.

2) Apparently there is a Nexy website that's in English and ships free within the continental U.S. Via Mr. Moon, I got my Dexter from Korea and had to pay an extra $20 for shipping. Ouch.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I emailed Mr. Moon directly and paid via Paypal. Mr. Moon was very cordial and of course I love the blade. I only have two complaints:

1) After I ordered and paid for the blade, I never heard another word. I ended up inquiring about the shipping status to Mr. Moon just one day before I received it. Based on witnessing his interactions here on the forum and in our emails, I didn't think he ripped me off or anything, but others who haven't established at least some trust might've been less at ease. In short, I guess I'm suggesting that some notification of shipment and tracking of the package would've been nice. But not a big deal.

2) Apparently there is a Nexy website that's in English and ships free within the continental U.S. Via Mr. Moon, I got my Dexter from Korea and had to pay an extra $20 for shipping. Ouch.

Well, you paid for the rush delivery I guess...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 10:58pm
Yes, Nexy.com seems to be more or less operational! well done, Mr. Moon!

Some items - accessories, bags, shirts, and non-Nexy items - are missing but you can buy Nexy blades there!

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2010 at 9:22am

Blade:  Nexy Dexter
Weight
:  87 grams
Rubbers
:  various, including 2.1mm H3 Neo, 2.2mm 39% H3 Neo, 2.1mm Tenergy 64 and 2mm Demian.

Construction :

It�s a well built 5 ply design, about the same thickness as a modern Clipper Wood; i.e. 6.8 mm.

The woods used in it's construction are a thick Ayous core, Spruce inner pies and Kiso Hinoki outer plies.

The straight handle can be described as colourful and more importantly, it�s comfortable in the hand.

One change I made before playing with it, was smoothing off the shoulders, with sandpaper; as that�s a modification I�ve done on my Clipper Woods and Mazunovs, too.

Balance :

The balance is slightly head heavy; i.e., similar to the Clipper Wood in that respect and whilst it�s not as well balanced as the Color; it�s ideally balanced for loopers, who like playing with an offensive blade.

Speed :

Around the same speed, as the Clipper Wood, Persson Powerplay Senso V1 and Mazunov.

Control:

What I like about the Dexter, is it�s linear, predictable and allows you to concentrate on playing your game, without drawing attention to itself. Much in the same way as any good 5 ply blade does.

Short game:

Bouncier in the the short game, than the Oscar and Color, but also something I was already used to, having played a lot with a Clipper Wood.

As such, the Dexter is the Nexy blade I felt most comfortable playing with from the word go.

Flicking short balls with H3 Neo works fine and pushes have good backspin.

Serving:

Like the Clipper Wood, it can keep serves low and I don't have a problem getting good spin on serves either.

Smash:

Whilst I don't have any problems smashing effectively with this blade; I'm more likely to do a loop kill, as that is an even more effective way of winning points with this blade.

Looping

This is where this blade shines.

I initially tested the Dexter with 2.15m H3 Neo and liked the match up. No problems generating good topspin and sidespin on forehand loops. Loop kills down the line were also easier, than when using the same rubber on the Oscar and Color.

2mm Demian was fine for backhand looping on the blade, as the rubber seems suited for looping on that wing; but I wasn't so impressed with its performance on the forehand; where it generated less sidespin on my loops, than I usually have; making them easier for opponents to return.

At present I have 2.2mm 39% H3 Neo on the Dexter and that's a better match, than the thinner 2.15mm H3 Neo, previously on the blade. A good looping combination.

Compared to the Color; the Dexter is the better looping blade because it can match the Color for looping at the top of the bounce; whilst outperforming it when looping from mid-distance and looping after the bounce too.

It's also easier to generate spin on loops with 2.2mm H3 Neo on the Dexter, than the Oscar too. As such, I consider it a better looping blade than the Oscar too, although I suspect others will disagree with me on that point.

Final comments :

I would describe the Dexter as a blade that feels and plays closer to my 87 gram Clipper Wood, than my 90 gram Clipper; i.e. it doesn't feel as solid, but is easier to control in the short game.

It�s not the kind of blade I would recommend to allround/offensive players who prefer a slower blade, which they find easier to control; but it will be a viable choice for allround/offensive players, who already have the skills to handle a fast blade properly..

Like the Oscar, this blade is better suited to players who already have a decent short game and are able to loop consistently.

My training partner asked me yesterday, �when are you going to stop testing and settle down to one set up? I think you should stop and stick to that bat (whilst pointing to the Dexter, with 2.2mm H3 Neo), as that's the one that suits your game the best.�

He's got a point and I'll probably follow that advice once I've finished testing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic