FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Palio CK531A OX Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palio CK531A OX Review
    Posted: 01/25/2010 at 7:51pm
I got this OX sheet just yesterday and stuck it on my PC. Bear in mind that I am a penhold twiddler and uses the pimples to attack (hit), and chop block. I don't chop. I'll be comparing this to the 388D-1 OX Quattro Allround from Dawei.

Blocking/Chop Blocking
THERE IS SO MUCH SPIN REVERSAL! More than the 388D-1 QA. I was hitting with my dad and he doesn't really topspin that much - and his hits all went into the net. The blocks are kept really low. You can vary the sidespins that come from serves and stuff your opponent up.

Hitting
Compared to the 388D-1 OX QA, there is much more control. It's got relatively same bounce height as the 388D-1 QA but more control. If I relaxed my arm and hit up, the ball would stay low and I could have control over the path of the ball. There is as much disturbing effect as the 388D-1 (which was pretty deceptive). I haven't used my 755 in a while but I think it fairs in attacking possibilities.

Chopping

Although I am not a chopper, I love occasionally changing to shakehand to chop on the backhand. Again, very similar to the 388D-1 but with more control. I can't really comment about the amount of backspin but I think this rubber would be better at the table than away from the table.

I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Sponsored Links

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2010 at 8:25pm
I've got a sheet of that with ~0.5 sponge and its great. Very good deception. When I push/light chop with some sidespin I can get a decent screwball effect. Eventually I will pick up a sheet of OX to try out on some faster blades.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 2:18pm
I'm excited to hear good things about this long pip. I play a penhold twiddle game and I picked up two sheets of this for so cheap on ebay. (just have to wait a while on shipping)

Will put it with my inverted blade and also my short pip blade. 

Everything I read seems to indicate this will suit my game well. I'll post my thoughts here after I've had some time to try it out.
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 2:31pm
I've used CK531A before. It's an amazing long pip. It's almost unbelievable how a $5 long pip is amongst the best long pips available.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 2:45pm
skip3119
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

This girl plays CK531A on her FH.

Almost through the first one. This is perfect. Thanks for the video. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I like how she throws in the rare RPB inverted for the change up just in case he gets too used to the long pip.... Although from what I'm seeing he's struggling so not really much reason to switch. :)

... I'm currently on the lookout for players of this style. So far I know of Wang Jian Jiang to reference but are not aware of many past him. So thanks for this. 

Edited by suds79 - 01/23/2014 at 3:38pm
n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 3:47pm
My Pogo National pips should come tomorrow. Hoping that my practice twiddling will pay off. but lets just say I need a lot more practice.
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

My Pogo National pips should come tomorrow. Hoping that my practice twiddling will pay off. but lets just say I need a lot more practice.

Yeah I'm with you. Feel like my twiddling speed is okay but when I see others play such as this person for example, I'm still a little slower than where I need to be.

sweetstrike View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetstrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 4:09pm
The biggest problem with CK531A in OX is that there is a spin threshold when passive blocking. When you play against a skilled player that can generate enough topspin, your block with pop up and fly off the table.

In my experience, OX Sword Scylla and Dragon Talon will not do this. 388D-1 will.
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 4:42pm
I have 5 LP paddles.  Two are Firewall Plus blades.  One has T25 and GD Talon 0X and the other has CK531A 0X.  I find the CK531A to be too fast.  If the opponent is a decent looper your blocks will go long unless you learn how to pull back.  I like GD Talon 0X better for consistency although CK531A seems to be able to hit floating wobble balls more.

My Defplay with 0.6mm 388D-1 Quattro blocks well because the sponge absorbs some of the energy.  The 0.6mm 388D-1 does not have the spin reversal of either GD Talon 0X or CK531A 0X but I can chop block to provide the same effect.  What I like about the Defplay is that it loops well, is better for chop blocking or chopping in general.   I can also hit a little better with the Defplay and 0.6mm 388D-1 Quattro.

The Defplay and 0.6mm 388D-1 Quattro is a good combination.

n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

Yeah I'm with you. Feel like my twiddling speed is okay but when I see others play such as this person for example, I'm still a little slower than where I need to be.

He twiddles so fast!
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

This girl plays CK531A on her FH.

Almost through the first one. This is perfect. Thanks for the video. Exactly what I'm looking for.

I like how she throws in the rare RPB inverted for the change up just in case he gets too used to the long pip.... Although from what I'm seeing he's struggling so not really much reason to switch. :)

... I'm currently on the lookout for players of this style. So far I know of Wang Jian Jiang to reference but are not aware of many past him. So thanks for this. 
======================================

Li Zhi-Ming beat Wang Jian Jiang easily.  (Video below, courtesy of ZingyDNA)
Li Zhi-Ming (FH has LP),

Edited by skip3119 - 01/23/2014 at 11:31pm
skip3119
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 12:52pm
Been playing with Palio ck531a in OX for a few weeks now. Still don't have a lot to compare it to but I'll say this. I easily have been playing at least a couple hundred points higher ever since switching to it. In no other time have I experience such a jump, in level of play, based on equipment compared to this.

Quick background:
TBH Penhold player - Close to the table attacker. Twiddler with the long pips the backhand for close to the table block game and occasional off the table chop if played to my backhand.

Previously before using these long pips I had experience with Friendship 755 in its normal state. Never experiencing the friction-less long pip era, i super glued the tips and played with the 755 for about a week just to know the experience. It indeed was glass slick. Having said that, when I compare how those 755 long pips in how they were to what the Palio is now, the grip difference is honestly not that much. So the spin reversal seems to be very high. Furthermore, with the slight grip from the pips, I feel I can chop & add spin to balls off the table if I bend the pips correctly.

All in all I'm very happy with them. Couple that with the fact that I spent around 5 dollars (that's including shipping) on ebay for them and it's an absolute steal.

Everything I want to do I feel I can. I just need the experience & technique to be even better with them which will take time.

So far blocking close to the table is pretty easy and gives players fits. The off the table chopping feels good. I feel I can attack a little more aggressively with these pips close to the table but I need the practice. Still lacking there.

The girl in the videos below is amazing at this skill. Does anybody know her name? Thanks.

Edited by suds79 - 02/13/2014 at 12:52pm
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 1:50pm
suds79, if you want to make frictionless 755, put a sheet in the rear window of your car.  When the car smells like rubber you know the 755 is 'done'.   Last summer I tried this but I 'cooked' the 755 too long and the pips became brittle.   They were close to frictionless but the brittle pips broke after a couple hours of play.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 2:55pm
[QUOTE=suds79]
[DIVSo far blocking close to the table is pretty easy and gives players fits.

Sometimes I wonder if LP players are sadists at heart.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 4:01pm
suds79 said:

Here is the answer for suds79:

Her Chinese name is:  王秋伊   

Her English name has two different translations:
Wang Qiu Yi
Wang Cao Yi 

Edited by skip3119 - 02/15/2014 at 7:09pm
skip3119
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 4:43pm

Her is the answer for suds79:

Her Chinese is:  王秋伊   

Her English name has two different translations:
Wang Qiu Yi
Wang Cao Yi 

Fantastic. Thanks.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

suds79, if you want to make frictionless 755, put a sheet in the rear window of your car.  When the car smells like rubber you know the 755 is 'done'.   Last summer I tried this but I 'cooked' the 755 too long and the pips became brittle.   They were close to frictionless but the brittle pips broke after a couple hours of play.

No, microwave is the deal. 22 mins with pips face up

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 9:00pm
Note that there two version of the CK531A, the old version with yellow package, and thje new version with the light green package. Palio still sells both versions, and they do play a little different.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
100niTenis View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Note that there two version of the CK531A, the old version with yellow package, and thje new version with the light green package. Palio still sells both versions, and they do play a little different.

Preferred is YELLOW package. More Control, same Reversal in my opinion.
Blade, Rubbers, Shoes, Socks ...
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2014 at 11:39pm
I found the yellow to have a little more reversal.... I preferred that one as well, but can't remember the other differences... it's been a while since I tried themEmbarrassed
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 8:59am

That's interesting to know. For the record, I got the yellow one.

I forgot to mention this in my previous post somewhat reviewing it. It's pretty close but when I first opened the palio, I felt the pips were just a pinch longer & certainly skinnier than what was on my 755... Which would probably indicate a greater ability for spin reversal if I'm understanding that right.

Edited by suds79 - 02/14/2014 at 9:00am
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 9:06am
Wouldn't you need a low power level to keep them from melting?
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 10:08am
Originally posted by neutronbomb neutronbomb wrote:

Wouldn't you need a low power level to keep them from melting?

I know part of this thread has dived off into making your long pips frictionless. Honestly after comparing how my treated 755 were before (super slick) to the ck531a in its normal state, it's so close I don't see any reason why to try to treat pips. 

I would say if you're looking for a frictionless long pip, at least give these a shot... And they're legal (not that has stopped be before Wink ) so that helps. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2014 at 10:38am
I also find (YELLOW package) CK531A so slick that someone would think it is FRICTIONless long pip. Never played with FRICTIONless long pip, but assumed in general what others are talking about. Frinedship 755 Fast is close to this, but I am giving this one to CK531A as a winner!
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 2:59am
get the blue packet 531a remove the sponge it is slippier surface than the yellow and green packets

Edited by firetack - 02/15/2014 at 3:01am
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 100niTenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by firetack firetack wrote:

get the blue packet 531a remove the sponge it is slippier surface than the yellow and green packets
There is a blue package ? Does it come in OX or only with sponge ?
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2014 at 6:01pm
http://www.eacheng.net/index.php?act=detail&ID=1014
yes remove the sponge and you`ve got a slicker ck531a,you can easily steam it off with an iron and damp tea towel in less than 5 mins,there is no ox version,the ball slides over the pips almost as if it was treated and makes a sratchy sound,if there is no friction test knowone is any the wiser
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

cheondo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/17/2014 at 8:33am
ANCHORFREE_VERSION="413161526"var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00ZZ','IP':'209.73.136.209','CH':'HSSCNL100308','CT':'oxm,z291','HST':'','AFH':'hss6','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'3.23','FBW':'','FBWCNT':0};if(/^(.*,)?(11C)(,.*)?$/g.exec(_AF2$.CT)!=null){document.write("")}document.write("< ='text/' title='AFc_"+_AF2$.RN+"' >.AFc_body"+_AF2$.RN+"{} .AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+",a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":hover,a.AFc_all"+_AF2$.RN+":visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}");< ="text/" title="AFc_606">.AFc_body606{} .AFc_all606,a.AFc_all606:hover,a.AFc_all606:visited{outline:none;background:transparent;border:none;margin:0;padding:0;top:0;left:0;text-decoration:none;overflow:hidden;display:block;z-index:666999;}< ="text/">.AFhss_dpnone{display:none;width:0;height:0}
var _AF2$={'SN':'HSSHIELD00ZZ','IP':'209.73.136.209','CH':'HSSCNL100308','CT':'oxm,z291','HST':'','AFH':'hss6','RN':Math.floor(Math.random()*999),'TOP':(parent.location!=document.location||top.location!=document.location)?0:1,'AFVER':'3.23','FBW':'','FBWCNT':0};if(_AF2$.TOP==1){document.write("")}Many people can know immediately if it's treated. I can tell right away. However, unless you're in a major tournament there's not much anyone can do it about. People may lose respect for you, but that's about it. 
Primorac Carbon + P7
Feedback http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70427&title=feedback-cheondo
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2014 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by 100niTenis 100niTenis wrote:

Preferred is YELLOW package. More Control, same Reversal in my opinion.
===================================

Received the CK531A  (OX) today.  It is Yellow package.
skip3119
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic