FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

The Euro Top-12

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2010 at 5:43am
I agree fully.

I like Kreanga' frank playing style better than Timo's though I admit Timo is better.
Sponsored Links

lild100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lild100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2010 at 6:06am
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2010 at 11:25am
Sheesh... again Vladi didn't break through. He was pretty close but after he lost that 4th set (leading 8-1 !!) he kinda gave up, I guess.Which is disheartening to me since I would like him to show character and fight - I think he was missing that lately (except for WCup 2009, probably).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
lild100 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lild100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Sheesh... again Vladi didn't break through. He was pretty close but after he lost that 4th set (leading 8-1 !!) he kinda gave up, I guess.Which is disheartening to me since I would like him to show character and fight - I think he was missing that lately (except for WCup 2009, probably).

very true!

and yeah he was incredable at the world cup!
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2010 at 1:12pm

yeah, it was disheartening to see--i was actually predicting vladi would win.  i know it appears that he "gave up," but the problem for him is that boll just keeps getting the balls back, no matter where he goes, how hard he rips or how difficult the shot he makes, it just keeps coming back, with interest (and an occasional net).

also, he has technical issues that i think boll is well aware of.  there's 2 shots that boll has that vladi consistently misses (unlike the chinese & korea's oh sang eun), that being the inside-out fh from the bh side down the line and the outside-in bh cross-court.

he consistently misses those 2 shots and so, no matter how deep a hole boll gets into, against vladi, he can always hit himself out of it.  they both know that.  so, you can't blame vladi for giving up after being up 8-1.  cuz he's been up 3-1 in games on a coupla occasions recently and boll still came back and won.
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 4:29am
BOLL Clap
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
riker71 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riker71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 4:54am
I was there with my GF and there were some really good matches, the atmosphere was excellent and the crowd showed their appreciation. A million miles away from the English Open where there was very little atmosphere and the distance between crowd and finals table was huuuuuge, here in Dusseldorf the action was closer ( Im guessing it is like this in most places, UK cant organise a piss up in a brewery when it comes to Top Class TT)

The ladies final was for me the most enthralling match of the tournament, nip and tuck all the way, you didnt know who was going to win until the last point, great match.

The Mens final was a slight anti climax after Boll winning the 4th game after being 8-1 down. Some great points, Samsonov gave up after that, body language said it all. Boll seemed to struggle with Chen in the group matches yet Samsonov blew him away, its interesting how different styles match up, I think Boll has a big psychological advantage now over Samsonov, who is still brilliant. Boll has won the ET12 5 times to Samsonov 4 times, and 4 of Bolls wins have been against Samsonov!! Id like to see the head to head of these 2 players. Boll always seems to win now.

Other highlights for me were seeing Kreanga unleashing some amazing Backhands and I was really impressed with the allround skill of Kristina Toth, she was lobbing  and occasionally chopping away from the table like Maze does, particularly agains Daniela Dodean and Paskausiane. Only disappointment  was that Maze couldnt play...

Stratus Powerwood
FH T05
BH T25
TTNoobie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTNoobie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2010 at 7:10pm
anyway to watch the women's final?  Sounds like a great match
pongp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 3:09pm
http://nos.nl/video/135004-li-jiao-succesvol-in-dusseldorf.html
this is only the final set, and comment in dutch...
there are other videos on the site of semi final
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 3:37pm
wow......pongp  thank you so much, highly appreciated!

Thumbs%20Up

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2010 at 11:52pm

I've seen Vladi give up on a few other matches.  Sometimes I think he just has a bad day and figures it's a lost cause anyway.  However, this time I have a new theory.

While all pro level TT is athletically strenuous, I would argue that it's harder on taller people.  They weigh more and it's a lot harder on the legs to stay low.  If you watch Wang Liqin, you'll see that is not merely very athletic, but he is looks like 1% body fat.  Vladi is very fit and athletic, I am sure, but perhaps not as much as Wang Liqin.  And he's taller, to boot, making it even harder on his body.  I think that sometimes he runs out of gas.  Not in an obvious way, where he can't move, but in a more subtle way, where his timing isn't quite as precise.  And at that elite level, losing a bit of timng is everything.

Anyway, that's my new theory.
Cyrilix View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrilix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 1:07am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I've seen Vladi give up on a few other matches.  Sometimes I think he just has a bad day and figures it's a lost cause anyway.  However, this time I have a new theory.

While all pro level TT is athletically strenuous, I would argue that it's harder on taller people.  They weigh more and it's a lot harder on the legs to stay low.  If you watch Wang Liqin, you'll see that is not merely very athletic, but he is looks like 1% body fat.  Vladi is very fit and athletic, I am sure, but perhaps not as much as Wang Liqin.  And he's taller, to boot, making it even harder on his body.  I think that sometimes he runs out of gas.  Not in an obvious way, where he can't move, but in a more subtle way, where his timing isn't quite as precise.  And at that elite level, losing a bit of timng is everything.

Anyway, that's my new theory.

But then again, taller people don't have to move as much or as far. Samsonov and Oh Sang Eun both have "lazy" looking games, so surely they must be saving that energy for when they need to move.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

But then again, taller people don't have to move as much or as far. Samsonov and Oh Sang Eun both have "lazy" looking games, so surely they must be saving that energy for when they need to move.

I agree that both players have that reputation for looking slow or lazy, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are.  Waldner always had the reputation for being slower or looking lacsidasical.  However, I heard from someone who should know that Waldner was actually one of the very fastest, even among the greats.  The difference was that his anticipation was so good that it never looked like he needed to move much because he was already there, waiting for the ball.

That's really a side comment to my first idea.  It is true that a shorter person would have to move more.  However, consider this analogy: you're going to have a race, such as 5 km.  The short guy has to run the normal way, but the tall guy has to run squatted very low to the ground.  That tall guy is going to have very sore thighs by the end of the race.
SoWhySoSerious View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoWhySoSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 2:18am
Timo Boll-Vladimir Samsonov(good quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYQ_8qaBn0w
http://www.youtube.com/ttCountenance

Don't lose yourself in table tennis, whatever it means to you.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 11:51am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Originally posted by Cyrilix Cyrilix wrote:

I agree that both players have that reputation for looking slow or lazy, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they are.  Waldner always had the reputation for being slower or looking lacsidasical.  However, I heard from someone who should know that Waldner was actually one of the very fastest, even among the greats.  The difference was that his anticipation was so good that it never looked like he needed to move much because he was already there, waiting for the ball.

That's really a side comment to my first idea.  It is true that a shorter person would have to move more.  However, consider this analogy: you're going to have a race, such as 5 km.  The short guy has to run the normal way, but the tall guy has to run squatted very low to the ground.  That tall guy is going to have very sore thighs by the end of the race.

There really could be something to that - I am 6`1" and I sometimes wish I were a little closer to the ground when I play. But then again, I am able to get to some fast cross shots by simply stretching and reaching with my arm... so it's a trade-off... I think I simply needs to lose another 10 pounds and get a bit more stamina in me...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 12:09pm
lack of confidence and finishing power was her undoing I could see the excitement to finish the point,the tendency to be rushed at that critical stage surely at this level I expected more professionalism from the loser.
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by SoWhySoSerious SoWhySoSerious wrote:

Timo Boll-Vladimir Samsonov(good quality):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYQ_8qaBn0w

The video is squished. Unhappy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoWhySoSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 1:30pm
Timo Boll-Kalinikos Kreanga:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIzLxeHRI5Y

bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/11/2010 at 2:01pm
that was cool watching kreanga pull a joo at about 6:50 i think
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
IceObsession View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IceObsession Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 1:36am
FH: DHS Neo Hurricane III
BH: TSP Spectol 21
Blade: TSP Limban Offensive(FL)
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

that was cool watching kreanga pull a joo at about 6:50 i think

Throwing in a chop to reset the rally a little is really effective. Legout did it all the time with plenty of success.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 2:14am
kreanga, regardless of the outcome, is a gladiator on court, entertaining and beautiful backhand whirls
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2010 at 3:30am
Fully agree - Kreanga's backhand is simply the best!
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2010 at 12:54am
Anyone know what rubbers Vladi was using during the Euros?  it seems he is still looking for the right choices.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoWhySoSerious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 3:56pm
Vladimir Samsonov-Chen Weixing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odbvUJe5bx4

shingouki666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shingouki666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/15/2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by SoWhySoSerious SoWhySoSerious wrote:

Vladimir Samsonov-Chen Weixing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odbvUJe5bx4

I loved how they had a bit of fun with the match in the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic