FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

My Sriver G3 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Sriver G3 Review
    Posted: 05/15/2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I recently snagged a sheet of G3 for $34 from butterflyonline.com and now it says its out of stock (coming soon) but no date. Is it safe to assume this along with G3 FX was discontinued because I don't see G3 series on their rubber list anymore.

Butterfly just confirmed for me that both are discontinued. Wanted to try this rubber on BH instead of T05.

Thanks for the heads-up, that's really unfortunate - I use Roundell on my backhand and am really worried it'll eventually be discontinued too (due to the advent of Rozena).

Roundell is light, spin-insensitive and linear - also only $35 dollars in Japan!  I don't know why it's priced above Rozena here in the states...

Hey opinari where do you get your Roundell from? Might try it after g3 wears down.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 3:55am
Sriver variants are still very popular around here, including G3
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 1:28am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Te Sriver G2/G3 were never good sellers, so I'm not surprised they're going to be discontinued. The original Sriver still seems quite popular.

I suspect the Roundell and Spinart might be on the endangered list as well.

just a soft rubber doesnt shine in anything
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2018 at 2:42am
After a session with this rubber I found that it suits me pretty well on backhand.

Its grippy but not too spin sensitive, has enough kick but not bouncy and the weight is few grams lower than T05. We'll see how long it will last but so far it was worth the $34. 

Hopefully I wont fall in love with it because then ill have to find a replacement when the time comes.

Edited by DreiZ - 05/13/2018 at 2:44am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2018 at 11:19pm
I played 4 years in Korea and saw exactly ONE sheet of Sriver in use by a player ever. Never saw any G2, G3, or Mark V. Forum fan repeaters seem to keep the pulse alive on those old rubbers.

Greg Letts' BTY Board Meeting cartoon vid is where BTY spilled the beans on their future plans...
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 11:41pm
Te Sriver G2/G3 were never good sellers, so I'm not surprised they're going to be discontinued. The original Sriver still seems quite popular.

I suspect the Roundell and Spinart might be on the endangered list as well.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

I revisited Sriver G3 about a year ago and a lot seems to have changed.  Perhaps it was to do with my skill level at the time but it felt very different to Tenergy 05, which I compared it to in my original review.

I think it's still a solid all around rubber, comparable to Nittaku's Fastarc C1 but still quite slow in comparison to modern tensors. 

If you're wanting an ALL+/OFF- type rubber on your backhand instead of G3, I think Rozena is a reasonable option.  In my experience it plays best on a stiff blade and the characteristics are between 64 and 80 but slower, less spinny and less reactive than both. 

Thank you for the input,

I wanted to try a sheet on bh to bring down the overall weight of the racket. Would never bought it at a previous price but $34 seemed like a good deal.
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 9:55pm
I revisited Sriver G3 about a year ago and a lot seems to have changed.  Perhaps it was to do with my skill level at the time but it felt very different to Tenergy 05, which I compared it to in my original review.

I think it's still a solid all around rubber, comparable to Nittaku's Fastarc C1 but still quite slow in comparison to modern tensors. 

If you're wanting an ALL+/OFF- type rubber on your backhand instead of G3, I think Rozena is a reasonable option.  In my experience it plays best on a stiff blade and the characteristics are between 64 and 80 but slower, less spinny and less reactive than both. 
A version of Hurricane 3
A version of Tenergy
A Stiga blade...
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I recently snagged a sheet of G3 for $34 from butterflyonline.com and now it says its out of stock (coming soon) but no date. Is it safe to assume this along with G3 FX was discontinued because I don't see G3 series on their rubber list anymore.

Butterfly just confirmed for me that both are discontinued. Wanted to try this rubber on BH instead of T05.

Thanks for the heads-up, that's really unfortunate - I use Roundell on my backhand and am really worried it'll eventually be discontinued too (due to the advent of Rozena).

Roundell is light, spin-insensitive and linear - also only $35 dollars in Japan!  I don't know why it's priced above Rozena here in the states...
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 6:07pm

Edited by DreiZ - 05/09/2018 at 8:03pm
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Very nice review. Sriver G3 is one of those safe choices for someone that is not sure about a certain rubber. I think it plays very nice with several gears.

It's definitely a good rubber but at that price, it's not worth the purchase unless the buyer can't play anything else than Sriver G3. Within that price range you can get way better tensors
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 2:47pm
Very nice review. Sriver G3 is one of those safe choices for someone that is not sure about a certain rubber. I think it plays very nice with several gears.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

n8stee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n8stee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 2:27pm

Great Review!

I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<
right2niru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote right2niru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/24/2014 at 2:16pm
How is the average weight of this rubber at 2.1 black / red ? I know roundell is light is this as light as roundell ? 
ZJK SZLC |5Q+
strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by phaur001 phaur001 wrote:

Do you know how the sriver g3 2.1mm compares to the 1.9mm one? Is there a big difference?

Bump for this question - anyone tried 1.9mm. Does it bottom out at all ??

The 2.1mm is nearly impossible to bottom out - I would expect the 1.9mm to be sufficient for 95% of plays. Would be nice to hear someones experience though.
strongpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strongpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by funpingpong funpingpong wrote:

Could you kindly compare G3 to Roundell (both on BH)?SmileSmile

I use both of these rubbers, and both are very good in my opinion. The speed of roundell is just below the G3. The top sheet is softer and sponge is more elastic. The topsheet of roundell produces great spin on opening shots and over the table shots, it does start to lose some of it's bite when well back from the table. The G3 topsheet is less spinny of softer shots but has huge spin when really driving the ball. You can generate slow spinny shots with G3, but requires more touch than roundell.

The G3 sponge has typical sriver feel - a bit dull (i've just ordered some rubber cement to glue it up with and try to liven it up a bit in the feeling department) but has huge top end power. The G3 is basically a much more controllable Bryce Speed with a higher throw.

The roundell is an excellent backhand rubber as it responds superbably to wrist movement. Both rubbers are excellent on the short game.

I currently have G3 on forehand and roundell on backhand, really enjoying this combo. Both are hugely underrated IMO - and the big plus is that they don't have any factory tuning in them and won't die on you after 3 weeks. Both will last months of heavy usage.
phaur001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phaur001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2011 at 2:12pm
Do you know how the sriver g3 2.1mm compares to the 1.9mm one? Is there a big difference?
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 6:25pm
@ funpingpong
Sorry, I'd really like to help you out there but I've never tried Roundell before in my life. I haven't even any detailed reviews and I don't know anyone who has used, or uses it.

@smackman
Sorry, I didn't mention it. I took it that the thickness I use is like a default thickness because its the one I always see in shops. I use 2.1 thickness.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 1:25am
Hi maybe I didnt see it but what thickness are you trying?

Im from NZ as well
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
funpingpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funpingpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2010 at 12:30am

Could you kindly compare G3 to Roundell (both on BH)?SmileSmile
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2010 at 11:26pm
@bumpernets19: Cool. How fast would you say it is?

@happy: It most definitely is! It takes a bit of getting used to but hey, don't all rubbers? I was shaky at first too but I got my money's worth. $60.

@Skyline: That's awesome. How fast would you say it was?
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 11:56am
I tried g3 Fx yesterday, it felt nice and spinny.
happy View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2010 at 11:20am
Hmm Hmm. This g3 seem worth a try
bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2010 at 12:20am
I have tried G3 Fx and my friends say thats what I play my best game with, but that was on an all wood blade. I wish I could afford another sheet to try out.
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 10:47pm
@ huizhao85
I respect your opinion although I found the physical qualities of T05 similar to G3. But you're right, game is different.

@ Loopmeister
Yes you are totally right in paragraph three. It truly is a shame that most shops don't stock G3, it took me a while to find.

I played with my G3 for the third or fourth time yesterday and chopping felt great. I'm adapting nicely to the rubber and the balls no longer sky rocket. They can go pretty low and controlling is always a breeze.
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 1:14pm
Sriver G3 FX is a nice rubber. Its doesn't have "built-in" speed glue effect, but its reasonably fast and the FX sponge gives off a nice sound. Of course I used reg rubber cement (Elmers) to glue it on, and that has some speed glue effect.

Sriver G2 was too bouncy for my tastes. G3 FX has good speed but it doesn't feel bouncy. G3 FX feels like Bryce Speed FX, but its a tiny bit slower and it has a higher throw angle.

Sriver G3 FX would be a perfect rubber if they sold it for $30-35. But for $40+ there are better rubbers out there. And most stores do not even sell G3. BTY needs to lower the price of reg Sriver back down to below $28, and then sell G3 for $30-35. Until then, G3 will continue to be the rubber that time forgot.

huizhao85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huizhao85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 10:03am
This review is spot on IMO. Sriver G3 is a very good BH rubber as it has good speed, decent spin and great control.

I dont think Sriver G3 is comparable to T05 but thats not saying its bad, its just for a different type of game.
YEO CPen + T05 + Sriver G3
Violin CPen + H3 NEO + Boost TC
Reinecke View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reinecke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 2:18am
Originally posted by iamj8 iamj8 wrote:

@ Reinecke
T05 is spinnier, bouncier, a bit harder and less controllable. Personally I think Sriver G3 is very comparable to T05. And I'll keep rubber cement in mind but I'm from NZ, I was just on holiday in Singapore.

I hope my review helped you.

@Thaidog
Sorry, I'm not sure. I haven't tried glueing Sriver G3 before a game. I'm assuming it does but I have never tried.

Yes it was very informative, and thanks for answering me.

For future reference if a rubber has "built in glue effect" then that means that WITHOUT speed glue it should feel almost as if there is speed glue. I think this is the case with G3 so I would not speed glue it.
Mizutani Jun ST     
Tenergy 64       
Tenergy 64
iamj8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iamj8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/01/2010 at 12:57am
@ Reinecke
T05 is spinnier, bouncier, a bit harder and less controllable. Personally I think Sriver G3 is very comparable to T05. And I'll keep rubber cement in mind but I'm from NZ, I was just on holiday in Singapore.

I hope my review helped you.

@Thaidog
Sorry, I'm not sure. I haven't tried glueing Sriver G3 before a game. I'm assuming it does but I have never tried.

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2010 at 8:12am
Nice review :) Does Sriver G3 have a built in glue effect?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic