Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WRB or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thetrystero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thetrystero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WRB or not?
    Posted: 03/11/2010 at 5:07am
Thinking about getting the Stiga Offensive CR as a beginner bat. Should I do the WRB verison or not?
Sponsored Links

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 5:20am
no dont WRB.  it will cause the setup to be head heavy.  i have a non-wrb and i think its too head heavy...
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 5:52am
Depends on the rubbers you prefer to use and how you play the game.

If you like playing with lightweight rubbers or like a head heavy set up; then WRB is fine.

Personally i don't have a problem playing with the Offensive Classic WRB, with lightweight Donic rubbers: but I do prefer the Offensive Classic, when using heavier Chinese rubbers like Hurricane 3.

speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 6:17am
There's a common opinion among the mytt forum members that WRB (or other hollow handle types like Donic's Senso) is not good. However I don't think it matters that much. Just a personal choice. Many pros or pro level players use hollow handle blades and are quite happy with their setups.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
xLeitix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLeitix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 6:21am
However, that it's 'common opinion' among this forum's many members already indicates that probably the majority of players doesn't like WRB all that much (which seems to be true at my club, too).

Personally, I think if you are not sure you should go for non-WRB. It's the safer, more conservative, bet.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 11:23am
If you ever plan on using a rubber thicker than 1.5mm, or anything remotely heavy, skip the WRB.

I could see where it would give long and short pips players and people who use thin inverted an "extra kick" to their shots, but when you pair even with classic rubbers like Sriver/Mark V/Mendo/Rapid etc, the blade becomes too head heavy and unbalanced.

The extra kick you get for speed and spin is not worth the tradeoff.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
amateur101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 1:14pm
I have tried both versions and I still prefer the non-WRB. IMHO, it is more stable.
Stiga Clipper CR-WRB
FH/BH - TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 3:41pm
I have used WRB for over 10 yrs and it gives exellent transmission of vibration through the handle for touchplay, once you are used to that, other blades feel 'numb' by comparison.
The Older I get, The better I was.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 4:27pm
I've heard that if you hold the pad tightly then you will not like the WRB, if you hold the pad loosely then you will like, or at least don't mind the WRB.  I have not play shakehand long enough to tell if it's true or not.  Can some one please verify this?

I play CPen, and I do not like it at all, but I have a couple WRB FL, and I do not mind the WRB.  I sort of holding the pad loose, and only tighten the grip on contact.

Heimdallalso View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimdallalso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2010 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I've heard that if you hold the pad tightly then you will not like the WRB, if you hold the pad loosely then you will like, or at least don't mind the WRB.  I have not play shakehand long enough to tell if it's true or not.  Can some one please verify this?

I play CPen, and I do not like it at all, but I have a couple WRB FL, and I do not mind the WRB.  I sort of holding the pad loose, and only tighten the grip on contact.

Like APW46 I've extensive playing time with a number of Stiga blades w/ WRB "technology".

They are often maligned. People certainly have the right to not like them but they should have some experience beforehand... if even only with a clubmates setup.
I am telling you that people play with blades with this "feature" and don't even know it. These same people would curse WRB vehemently!!!
Wacko

All the manufacturers  offer some version.
It comes down to balance & ones own personal taste.

to mhnh007, I say that is interesting & i've never heard it but it does make sense to me.
I grip the racket like you, (most often) quite loosely, & would see where that plays to the concept of getting the blade face/head moving more quickly; thusly, imparting a more speedy or spiny (maybe both if that's what you're going for!) shot.

Good Day & Good Hitting!
Smile

NEXY Lissom st 85g
fh/ Andro Impuls Speed max
bh/ Palio Flying Dragon 1.8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic