Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Stiga Offensive Classic vs. Butterfly Petr Korbel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Stiga Offensive Classic vs. Butterfly Petr Korbel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
despoticwalnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Offensive Classic vs. Butterfly Petr Korbel
    Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:22pm
I plan on using Mark V rubber on both forehand and backhand. Which would be better for a developing two wing looper?
Sponsored Links

Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:39pm
2mm Mark V would be a valid choice on the Offensive Classic, whereas I would be inclined to suggest 2.1mm Sriver EL, for use with the Petr Korbel.

Another valid choice worth considering is the Yasaka Mark V Special Edition blade, that is sold by Paddle Palace in the US.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:59pm
So the Stiga OC would be a good match up with Mark V 2.0 mm? I don't doubt your advice at all, but to further my knowledge, is there a reason it would be a better option with Mark V than the Korbel?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 11:01pm
I can't say much about the rubber-match because I haven't used Mark V rubber. However, regarding the two blades, I'd suggest the Korbel. I've played on both and the OC CR (non-WRB) had some nasty vibration in the middle gears. I've heard others say the same thing, so I don't think it's just my blade.

The Korbel felt a bit more solid, with equal control and perhaps slightly better speed. I'm not really into Butterfly, but the Korbel blade is a nice 5-ply.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 12:54am
Thanks guys. It might be a little while, but I plan on getting one of these or the Tibhar Nimbus Offensive, though probably not that as I don't know of its credibility. The stiga would end up being around $20-30 cheaper as it's a combo special, so that's something to think about.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 3:17am
Hmm, both blades are good for beginner and developing players.  Even before the glue-ban, few pros used OC-CR and Korbel.

Now, I would say that both can perform well using Mark V.  The only differences are:

1. OC is better for looping but less good in hitting / smashing.
2.  Korbel (being a bit stiffer and heavier) is good hitting / smashing, but still good in the looping department (similar, if not less, compared to OC).

For the price, I would choose Petr Korbel (Japanese version), as it is nicer in built and quality.  You can use it straight from the box.  OC is a bit rough and need little sanding here and there before you find it comfortable.  But that depends on your taste, as I heard that many European players like rough natural feel of wood, instead of the nicely polished Butterfly blades.

By the way, you need to be careful before buying any of them:

1.  Choose Korbel made in Japan.  Korbel for European market is made in Hungary (if i am not wrong) and it is not as nice as Japanese version.

2.  If you choose OC, you need to determine if you want OC, OC with WRB handle (more head heavy) or OC -CR (with CR varnish).  Even OC-CR exist as WRB and non-WRB versions.

3.  FL for Korbel is a bit thin for my liking.  OC is better as you can choose between the Master FL (about as slim as Korbel) or Legend FL (thicker handle).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:59pm
Nice post. I'm really not sure where the Korbel I would be buying is made. The two stores I was considering are Paddle Palace and TTpioneers as I've seen the quality of both firsthand.

And lucky me I have a rather deep grip, so the handles that I play with are rarely even noticeable to me while playing, but if all else fails I could use an over-grip.
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 7:07pm
I agree. Mark V should work fine with OC.
I have used OC CR (non WRB) around 8 years ago with Mark V (30 degree) and Mark V GPS. It was ok except there is some funny vibration. I still have that with me now.

As you see my signature, I am now using OC with T64 and Hammond Pro Alpha. OC would give you a natural feel on the ball. I had used it for about 1.5 year with H3 back in 2005, and I changed it back again to OC for about a year. It is ok for me, but the problem is about power.

For developing player, it is a good gear to start with. I started with OC CR (+ yasakas) in 2002 (before that I had many other rackets), -> Carbo 7.6 (Hammond Pro Alpha) -> then OC (H3 + alpha) -> Kong Linghui special (Bryce) -> Carbo 5.4 (T05 + Bryce speed) -> OC (T64 + alpha).

The switch from OC CR to Carbo 7.6 was a huge in terms of speed and I was training regularly in those days, and my game has speed up. However, I lost badly on my touch and short games and then I go back to OC (pure wood) to get some feeling. Later, then I go for Kong to get some faster speed (try to look for a balance between speed and touch but I think I did not get a very good setup). Then I try with Carbo 5.4 for a short time and I struggle with touch, so I change back OC and it seems ok for me.

Mark V is a good rubber to start with nowadays. Recently, I have seen many players using Mark V. They are not playing with shouting game, but allround, more tend to defend and control. Some are playing good and they know of what they are doing. I was a bit surprise Mark V can still lead to some good game nowadays.

In fact, I did take out my old Mark V, stick on Carbo 7.6 and playing it last nite. although it is not a fast and exciting game, but it is very consistence and I gave some surprise to my mates.

Good luck!!

I dont know much about Korbel. I knew a friend who is using the pen holder Korbel. It is great but it is not so good in terms of looping. Smashing could be good. I only try it a few times with H3 and it is so so for looping (compare to OC). I guess it maybe working fine with Sriver EL or FX. also throughout the years, I have been mainly with Stiga and thus I could be biased towards Stiga. But still, I do agree that Korbel is a good wood and I did consider it some days ago.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Sweden, Australia
Liu Shiwen & OC-CR (FH: Globe999 BH:M2)
KLHS(FH:G999 BH:T05FX)
TBS(FH:T05 BH:T64)
OC-WRB(FH:H3 BH:Hammond Pro-Alpha)
Carbo7.6(FH:H3 BH:T64)
JanOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Antony Antony wrote:

I have used OC CR (non WRB) around 8 years ago with Mark V (30 degree) and Mark V GPS. It was ok except there is some funny vibration. I still have that with me now.

In fact, I did take out my old Mark V, stick on Carbo 7.6 and playing it last nite. although it is not a fast and exciting game, but it is very consistence and I gave some surprise to my mates.

I am planning to buy an OC CR (non WRB) with Mark V.
I see you have played the classic Mark V and the GPS too.
I have read their description and I know to GPS is softer.
Which one was better? Is it true to the GPS is good only speed glue (I won't use speed glue)? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 2:59am
Originally posted by JanOW JanOW wrote:

Which one was better? Is it true to the GPS is good only speed glue (I won't use speed glue)? Thanks.

I kind of wonder about the other versions of Mark V too, but I'm pretty set on the original as I know it's just about the best tested and most reliable rubber I could buy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 3:57am
Another question. How about the Clipper? I don't know much about it but I know it's apparently a high quality blade. Would it be too fast?
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by despoticwalnut despoticwalnut wrote:

Originally posted by JanOW JanOW wrote:

I kind of wonder about the other versions of Mark V too, but I'm pretty set on the original as I know it's just about the best tested and most reliable rubber I could buy.

I would go for original Mark V. As I remember, the touch for GPS is not as clear as original Mark V.  I personally would prefer OC WRB over OC CR. In fact, at that time I was trying to get OC WRB or OC CR WRB, at the end they do not have OC CR WRB in stock and thus I went for OC CR. A bit regretted as the balance is not what I wanted (too late to realize). Especially if you want to swing, the balance for WRB is better as it is more forward incline with better touch.
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 6:08pm
I would not go for clipper. I used clipper back in 1996/97 (WRB) , which was actually the first generation of WRB. It is not design for beginner and it is not so easy for developing player, unless you have got a right rubber (but I donno what that is).

In fact, the one that I felt was the best is Allround Evolution + Nittaku JO waldner rubber (2.0). I am not sure if this combo still works for 40mm ball, but I am pretty sure it works very good for 38mm ball. It maybe a bit slower, but touch is execellent and it develops nicely for my backhand loop. Sometimes I do consider to get two sheets of JO and try again. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote despoticwalnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 6:33pm
I've pretty much decided on my setup now thanks to you guys. At this point I'm pretty much just curious about other equipment.
JanOW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanOW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 9:16pm

I would go for original Mark V. As I remember, the touch for GPS is not as clear as original Mark V.� I personally would prefer OC WRB over OC CR. In fact, at that time I was trying to get OC WRB or OC CR WRB, at the end they do not have OC CR WRB in stock and thus I went for OC CR. A bit regretted as the balance is not what I wanted (too late to realize). Especially if you want to swing, the balance for WRB is better as it is more forward incline with better touch.

Thanks Antony. It was helpful.
I have an another question about the handle.
There are 2 types of flare handle. The Master(thinner) and Legend(thicker). On this forum there is a topic about it and they mentioned to the Legend is much more bigger than the Master. Can you confirm this? Have you tried both of them? I will try it when my other stuff arrive to the shop (but they have only Legend in stock).
Antony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/19/2010 at 9:45pm
Good point. Legend is bigger. In fact, this morning I had a chat with my friend back in Hong Kong. He is now a coach there and he told me if I go for Stiga racket, better off to go for Legend as it gives more power with thicker handle (purely feeling with a larger grip on his hand and nothing to do with the wood). I do agree with it.

Most of my racket are with Master handle. I have got one stiga clipper Legend handle and I feel more solid when I hold it. If they do not have Legend, look at something call offensive oversize, this is the bigger version with a slightly harder wood (10% if I remember correctly).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic