Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Review : All Round

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kelvinyoong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Review : All Round
    Posted: 03/25/2010 at 11:15pm
Just got the All Round in the post about 15 minutes ago.

First impressions: The FL handle is very comfortable and weight is also very balanced. The best balance i have felt among all the blades i have.

The blade face was a wee bit rough like brand new Stiga or Yasaka rough so a bit of high grit sandpapering will sort it out.

Apart from that, the workmanship is top notch especially the handle and at USD35. It is great value for a custom bat.

Also the blade face doesn't look like it is sealed or they must have done a really good job because i can see any indication of any sealant been used. But did see some bits of cloth fiber on the blade face which may have come from the cloth soaked with the sealant.

I will test this blade out with Srivers and IQ rubbers and give more feedback in the next few days.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Sponsored Links

BladesByCharlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 3:02am
hi kelvinyoong,  i am glad to hear that it arrived (finally) and is ok.  am looking forward to your review,  charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com
BBC 9-10-9, Donic Barracuda, RITC 563 1.5
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 3:26am
No problem. Left the US on the 12th March 2010 and arrived on the 26th March 2010. Exactly 2 working weeks.

I am really liking the handle. It is the best i have seen and felt. Even the likes of Xiom can't match the handle quality.

What wood is the handle made of?
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 4:03am
i'm not at the shop where my records are, but if memory serves, i recently scored on some super Mahogany that is the right weight for the blade you got.  one of my favorite woods, works really well with my tools, just looks good to me.
i am a little dizzy following all the reviews (trying hard) but i thought you put some pictures up, but couldn't find them (my confusion).
charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 4:10am

Charlie, on your site I see a strange category All Around blades. What does it mean - that balls go all around?

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 5:45am
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Charlie, on your site I see a strange category All Around blades. What does it mean - that balls go all around?

The blade when 'All Round' the world to reach me hence the name. Tongue
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 5:49am
Originally posted by BladesByCharlie BladesByCharlie wrote:

i'm not at the shop where my records are, but if memory serves, i recently scored on some super Mahogany that is the right weight for the blade you got.  one of my favorite woods, works really well with my tools, just looks good to me.
i am a little dizzy following all the reviews (trying hard) but i thought you put some pictures up, but couldn't find them (my confusion).
charlie

No didn't put any pictures up. Not sure how to do that in this forum. Last time i tried the photo come out to large and ugly.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by kelvinyoong kelvinyoong wrote:

charlie

No didn't put any pictures up. Not sure how to do that in this forum. Last time i tried the photo come out to large and ugly.

First make sure you compress the file so it's less then 200 Kb. Secondly, when you are putting it in, there are fields for width and height. My advice is to divide the original numbers there by the same factor so that they are somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 x 400 (approximately of course).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BladesByCharlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/26/2010 at 12:15pm
ok. thanks for the round the world definition, it works.
p.s. it's Honduran mahogany, it has a reputation for being the best.  there is African and i think every island in the Phillipines has it's own species of mahogany.  like teak it is used for ships for it's durability and resistance to humidity.  besides just looking good!
charlie
Charlie Smith, owner
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/27/2010 at 11:35am
Ok i managed to play a couple hours with the BBC All Round.

The handle is almost perfection. Great quality and shape. It is a bit squarish and not oval. Handle was not too smooth and not too rough. Just enough friction but some may not like it. So grip tape is your friend.

I did notice that the top ply is very identical to the one that is used on the Yasaka Extra 3D. Only difference is that the Yasaka top ply was really thin compared to the BBC All Round.

Slapped on a Dawei IQ 2.1 43H on the FH and Sriver L 1.7 on the BH.

The blade was very balanced, once the rubbers when on it became slightly head heavy which i believe is due to the IQ weight. Still it was very manageable. Will try with other rubbers when i get to chance.

Blade rating is ALL+. It is a very linear blade meaning you it gives out what you put in. Good for developing players to learn the right strokes and not expect the blade to do the work.

Handle: Very nice. High quality material. Very comfortable.

Balance: Slightly head heavy when rubbers are put on. Partly due to my rubber selection of using a Dawei IQ with 43H. Will try with other rubbers to compare.

Speed: Slightly slower then the Yasaka Extra 3D and much slower then Senkoh 85. It is rated ALL+.

Throw: Medium. Pairing it with other rubbers may change the throw so this is quite subjective. Using the IQ and Sriver, the throw was low-medium.

Feel: Vibration feedback is good. Hit the sweet spot (large) and you will get good feedback. Very rewarding feeling.

Dwell: Very good. Even better then the Yasaka E3D or Senkoh 85. Loops were much spinner and the control is good. I will conduct another round and change rubbers to see if this changes.

Spin: Very good due to the dwell time. Even with hard sponge rubbers like the Dawei IQ 2.1 43H, i was getting good spins. Going to try with a softer rubber next.

Only think i found is that is lacks power if you are away from the table by about 3-4 steps.

So far, i am impressed with the BBC All Round. Definitely will test it more and with other rubbers. I am liking it and am sold on custom blades as the way to go. No more manufactured blades. Custom all the way!

Now i am thinking maybe the table tennis greats are actually using custom made blades but they only change the handle to fool everyone. No way a manufactured blade can feel like a custom blade.

Updated on 29th March 2010.

Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 3:31am

ok. thanks for the round the world definition, it works.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. In TT, there is no such term as All Around

http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/AllAround

The correct term is Allround.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2010 at 9:42pm
Played with the BBC All Round again today and i am impressed with the dwell time on this blade. Even with a hard rubber like 43 degree IQ in 2.1, the spins generated was very good especially on loops.

Serving was slightly better but i think with better technique, the spins will increase even more.

Also i am changing the my original post about the sweet spot. It is is large and not medium so very forgiving if you hit off the center.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/29/2010 at 9:13am
How is the blade for defensive and passive strokes?

Interested in Chop, push and block.

I ask because I normally use an ALL+ or OFF- blade, the BT550 - and paired with the right rubber, FH chops are devastating (spinny, deep). Pushing with the BT550 is effortless with a variety of rubbers.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 11:01am
Chops are spinny. Good amount of control when pushing and blocking.

This was using IQ and Sriver rubbers. I found pushing and blocking better using the Sriver especially on the BH.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelvinyoong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2010 at 3:50am
Sorry if i am late. Was busy with a new project at work.

Managed to slap on Outlaw on the All Round this week. Lots of good controlled spins on loops. Very nice.

I like it so much i have decided to buy this blade from BBC.

Anyone who wants to buy their 1st serious blade should put the All Round as one to consider together with the Butterfly Primorac, Yasaka Extra or Avalox BT550.
Andrzej Grubba AN
Sriver 2.1 Sriver 1.9
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic