Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Did Joo See Hyuk switched to anti?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did Joo See Hyuk switched to anti?
    Posted: 03/30/2010 at 9:11am
Hi there everyone,

You will find here below a link leading you to a game played between Joo and Timo Boll at the senior world cup 2010.

http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player.html?pfad=CHANNEL1-Seniors/vw_cup_2010/100329_JOO_Se_Hyuk_KOR_vs_BOLL_Timo_GER3

This video is quite intereting as it shows that Joo might have changed the rubber on his backhand.

If you look closely at 6minutes 20, you can see that the black rubber on his backhand is shinny as would an anti be.

Do you have any info regarding this??

Regards from France,
Gian
Gas prices are so high today that they hanging out wid Snoop Dog!
Sponsored Links

NgocHip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NgocHip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 9:35am
NgocHip
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 10:00am
I cannot confirm this, but Timo was REALLY frustrated in the match last night!
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
skjutmigmormor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skjutmigmormor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 10:23am
The computer says no...
BL: Andro Kinetic CF Carbon Off-
FH: Stiga Calibra sound Max
BH: Nimbus soft Max
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 10:24am
I believe that 99% he will never ever ever switch to anti. Anti simply can never be as good as long pips when it comes to defend, as especially at this level, what they need is not spin reversal only but spin variation, that's what long pips can do and anti can't so yes, I dont think Joo switched. Just that it's very hard to see the pips.
Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Video: - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-p2VHaiDk
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7bHoFRj_oU
-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYnqlW
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 10:25am
+ 1 
FAMERICAAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FAMERICAAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 11:28am
+1

But does anybody know what his setup is?? 

The Speed and Spin 'Controles'me
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 11:40am
Originally posted by skjutmigmormor skjutmigmormor wrote:

The computer says no...

ROFLMAO!

Got to love "Little Britain", hilarious!

As for Joo using anti, I would say that it is highly unlikely.
The holy grail
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 11:49am
it must be pips because the brand label and topsheet are not the same colour black , this is only the case with pips.
murrayblhrc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murrayblhrc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 12:41pm
Looks like it

TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/30/2010 at 12:47pm
I bet if you are there, and they are filming you with a black sheet of LP on BH, it would look the same. Just because the light on the pips and as you know the pips on TSP Curl P1-R are very closely placed together.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
nightcrawler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightcrawler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 1:36am
if he switched (hypothetically), would there be an anti that could be strong enough at top 15 level
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 2:13am
Come on people, listeeen. Just turn up the volume and you know he's still using long pips. Anti doesn't go THOCK while chopping hard loops.

Plus his style and play hasn't changed at all, if he made such a drastic move from long pips to anti, something would have changed, but his chops are same as ever.
LeeMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I cannot confirm this, but Timo was REALLY frustrated in the match last night!

He looked it, I've never seen him miss so much.  Can anyone translate what the coach was saying to Timo?
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 9:20am
Even the announcers are talking about Joo and his LP's.  hehehe I like that video.  I can understand everything their talking about Smile
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 10:37pm
its not a anti.....its long pips....and its not the regular TSP P1-R he used to use....its GRASS D.Tecs....1.2mm sponge...it has a shiny surface which would make it appear as anti.  does not have the same layout of pips by joos finger as TSP...and it is rumoured that he switched to d.tecs....and this confirms it
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Leatherback Leatherback wrote:

its not a anti.....its long pips....and its not the regular TSP P1-R he used to use....its GRASS D.Tecs....1.2mm sponge...it has a shiny surface which would make it appear as anti.� does not have the same layout of pips by joos finger as TSP...and it is rumoured that he switched to d.tecs....and this confirms it

I dunno...those to long pips are very opposite. There is very little deception to P1-R, I used it for a while, very little reversal, and grass is the nastiest most disturbing long pip out there...
Leatherback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leatherback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 11:23pm
i am kinda guessing here, its not exactly like hes my best friend.....but its DEFINITELY NOT p1-r......and park mi young of korea....joos team mate switched to grass d'tecs.  and grass d tecs with spong plays like a fast P1-r.  OOAK forum...a post about an interview with kim taek soo....he said that joo was using a new tibhar pip......and it kinda all adds up that he is using d.tecs
Forehand: H3N Prov.41
Backhand: TSP Spectol 1.5
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/31/2010 at 11:31pm

i am kinda guessing here, its not exactly like hes my best friend.....but its DEFINITELY NOT p1-r......and park mi young of korea....joos team mate switched to grass d'tecs.� and grass d tecs with spong plays like a fast P1-r.� OOAK forum...a post about an interview with kim taek soo....he said that joo was using a new tibhar pip......and it kinda all adds up that he is using d.tecs

huh, well I guess Joo could do his thing with just about anything, but who knows, he could change it tomorrow to something else, he's always switching his long pips, feint long, p1, now grass maybe, I guess long pips users can mess about more than other players.
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 1:14am

its not a anti.....its long pips....and its not the regular TSP P1-R he used to use....its GRASS D.Tecs....1.2mm sponge...it has a shiny surface which would make it appear as anti.  does not have the same layout of pips by joos finger as TSP...and it is rumoured that he switched to d.tecs....and this confirms it

+1 you're totally right IMO. I was like, why the hell the tsp curl pips formation looks so weird? LOL And it's more shiny now. And plus, you can see attacks much more now with his LP Wink grass d.tecs is the answer probably.
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 1:35am
Anyway, do you guys think his game has changed assuming he changed the rubber? I mean long pips rubbers dont have the same properties, I dont have any understanding about the tibhar grass dtecs but the amount of spin generated and spin variation would be different right? It seems like he's not as consistent now as before? Or the chops are not as dangerous...
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 2:38am
It's LP. Anti is just...no. NO.

Most black LPs look smooth when in the light anyway.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 3:40am
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

Anyway, do you guys think his game has changed assuming he changed the rubber? I mean long pips rubbers dont have the same properties, I dont have any understanding about the tibhar grass dtecs but the amount of spin generated and spin variation would be different right? It seems like he's not as consistent now as before? Or the chops are not as dangerous...

I dunno, as was mentioned before, he sure frustrated the heck out of Boll, which is new. But the spin reversal effect would likely have a lot to do with any suggested or perceived inconsistencies.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 4:45am
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

its not a anti.....its long pips....and its not the regular TSP P1-R he used to use....its GRASS D.Tecs....1.2mm sponge...it has a shiny surface which would make it appear as anti.� does not have the same layout of pips by joos finger as TSP...and it is rumoured that he switched to d.tecs....and this confirms it

I dunno...those to long pips are very opposite. There is very little deception to P1-R, I used it for a while, very little reversal, and grass is the nastiest most disturbing long pip out there...

This is wrong in so many ways so I don't know where to begin explaining why it is wrong.

P1-R is one of the most deceptive LP out ther, perhaps even the most deceptive LP there is. Deception isn't something you get for free when you buy a rubber, especially not at the level Joo plays at. Deception is something you create by manipulating the spin, which is easily done with P1-R, since it is very capable of creating spin. I haven't used DTech's, so I don't know anything about this, but if Joo uses it, he is probably using it with a rather thick sponge to create his own deception rather then trusting the rubber to do it for him.
The holy grail
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Speedplay Speedplay wrote:

This is wrong in so many ways so I don't know where to begin explaining why it is wrong.

P1-R is one of the most deceptive LP out ther, perhaps even the most deceptive LP there is. Deception isn't something you get for free when you buy a rubber, especially not at the level Joo plays at. Deception is something you create by manipulating the spin, which is easily done with P1-R, since it is very capable of creating spin. I haven't used DTech's, so I don't know anything about this, but if Joo uses it, he is probably using it with a rather thick sponge to create his own deception rather then trusting the rubber to do it for him.

Agree that P1-R is deceptive, perhaps because it's one of the softest and grippiest LP out there therefore easier to give more spin variation if in the hand of a pro. Im not sure about being the most deceptive of all kinds because I havent tried many LPs so I can't make a conclusion there. Even though, according to TSP than Curl P1-R is the most deceptive in the Curl series. But isn't deception is also about the formation of the pips, how long is the pips, tightly placed or widely placed on the surface? Also if it's rough tips, grippy sides and all those stuffs, I really don't know about that. But anyhow, the D.tech has a german tension sponge doesn't it? So maybe he won't need a 1.5 mm or 1.7mm sponge or something like he used to use, 1.2mm is enough?
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Jonan View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 5:33pm

It has deception based on spin manipulation. Grass has deception more based on knuckle effect and spin reversal in thin sponge especially. I know a lot of people use ox or thin sponge grass d tech for long pip hitting or blocking because of how nasty it is, for a chopping game though with a thick sponge, I imagine there wouldn't be as much of a difference. I'd say that curl isn't as good at producing junk ball type shots like grass in more passive situations. When I think of deception I think of junk balls and knuckle spin reversal type stuff, not as much hiding how much spin you are putting on the ball.
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2010 at 8:22pm

It has deception based on spin manipulation. Grass has deception more based on knuckle effect and spin reversal in thin sponge especially. I know a lot of people use ox or thin sponge grass d tech for long pip hitting or blocking because of how nasty it is, for a chopping game though with a thick sponge, I imagine there wouldn't be as much of a difference. I'd say that curl isn't as good at producing junk ball type shots like grass in more passive situations. When I think of deception I think of junk balls and knuckle spin reversal type stuff, not as much hiding how much spin you are putting on the ball.

Ah, I see, then we agree, what you call deception is what I would call disruptive effects. As from what I have gathered, Dtechs is currently the most popular rubber for those still looking for a replacement rubber for the banned frictionless rubbers. I wonder if it is really worse to play against then Bomb Talent, cause that rubber had some really weird things going on.
The holy grail
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 2:26am
But, doesn't top players read spin so well -_-''? Isn't it safer if you play heavy backspin defence only and look for chance to counter instead of trying to mixing stuffs and get caught = smash to death? LOL 
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
TBS9x View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TBS9x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 2:31am
Anyway, just a little off-topic. Do you guys think if ITTF let people to play frictionless again ( which they possibly don't ), pros like Joo will use those frictionless or is it only those who blocks close to the table?
Stiga Boost TC
Tibhar Grass Dtecs 1.6mm
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/02/2010 at 5:26am
Originally posted by TBS9x TBS9x wrote:

But, doesn't top players read spin so well -_-''? Isn't it safer if you play heavy backspin defence only and look for chance to counter instead of trying to mixing stuffs and get caught = smash to death?�LOL

While they certainly won't be tricked as easily as us mere mortals, they do get tricked from time to time. If they were always feed the same spin, it would be much easier for them to adjust, it is the variation that creates most trouble for them.

Now, as for Joo or any other pro chopper turning to frictionless, that is highly unlikely since this would make them all to predictable. Swedish Fabina �kerstr�m was the highest rated frictionless player (I think he was around spot 400 on the ITTF ranking) and he used it close to the table, which I believe is what you have to do to become efficient with them.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic