Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do you remove glue from back of rubber?????
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How do you remove glue from back of rubber?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you remove glue from back of rubber?????
    Posted: 04/12/2010 at 4:33pm
What do you use to remove glue from the back of the rubber and how you do it?
Sponsored Links

AgentSmith View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2010 at 7:50pm
For me, with most of the water based glue I tried was damned near impossible to remove from both the wood and the rubber..  All you can really do is dampen it and try and peel with your finger.  I saw people recommending tear mender for easy removal, but I actually splintered a blade with that (should've sealed it better, but it is a risk).

I just saved myself the trouble and bought some regular VOC glue.  Its just so much easier to use and apply for me (not to mention cheaper).

You can also dilute some elmer's rubber cement with about 20% volume of goo gone.   If you are worried about the ban, just make sure you glue about 4 days before you are checked.  The VOC's evaporate and the rubbers play normally. 

I know people have some pretty strong feelings about water based vs VOC, but to be quite honest all that matters is that the rubber sticks to the paddle and you can remove the glue.  This is just what is easiest for me.
railroad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote railroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 10:37pm
I am using Lighter Fluid. You have put some on back side of the rubber and let it soak while, next  try piling  off with your fingers. It is not easy, but you can do it.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2010 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by railroad railroad wrote:

I am using Lighter Fluid. You have put some on back side of the rubber and let it soak while, next  try piling  off with your fingers. It is not easy, but you can do it.

+1
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
drew collins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew collins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 11:12am
Put turps on it and then rub it with your palm for the few days. Eventualy it will start to peel off.
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 12:02pm
Is Haifu water based glue hard to remove off rubbers also?
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 1:57pm
what about Asetone? can it be used to remove the glue?
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 3:07pm
Removing glue from sponges can be either easy, not too bad...a little bit of a problem...or practically impossible without tearing chunks out of the sponge.

For any water based glues, and even rubber cement for me, the blade should be sealed.  I just lightly seal my blades if needed with Minwax sanding lacquer. One thin coat brushed on is normally good for many reglues. 

Tear Mender has been rarely any problem for me.  If it was....it was because the glue had started to congeal and went bad.   If the glue is still thin and watery, it is good.   If you put too thin of a coat on your glue job, you will want to simply put a semi thicker layer back over the left on glue.  Then it will adhere to the left over glue and be fairly easy to peal off in 1 or just a few pieces. 

Soft sponges are the hardest to get old glue layers off.  

Using acetone to remove glue will probably also remove sponge and rubber in a melted toxic mess!   LOL   Nuke

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2010 at 8:04pm
thats myth acetone works quite well. it only melts of the rubber cement almost making it drip off of the rubber or blade i like using it.

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2010 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Mdman Mdman wrote:

What do you use to remove glue from the back of the rubber and how you do it?

I recommend Goo Gone.  It is a good rubber softener/solvent.  It doesn't smell bad, in fact it smells like citrus.  It doesn't dry up super fast.  And it is less toxic for you than most other solvents.  It is mostly d-limonene.

My suggestion is to spread or spray an even coat of Goo Gone on the glue and let it soak in.  Test an area and see if it peels or rubs off easier.  If not, give it another coat and try again.  This should work for any rubber based glue - VOC or water based like TearMender.

Goo Gone is pretty much all VOC.   So your rubber will not be legal to use for quite a few days.  I'd suggest airing the rubber out after the glue is removed for at least three days if you want to be legal and probably for a day or so to allow any swelling of the sponge to go away.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
dauntless View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauntless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2010 at 12:05am
20100416_000428_glue.jpg

I removed this water based glue with lamp oil. it was an awful mess, but the lamp oil took it off fairly easily.
1. BTY Primorac, Nittaku H3N, T64 2. BTY Primorac, H3N, Mendo MP Feedback
m123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 1:54pm
if u have falco tempo booster, use that one layer on songe with the glue reside
wait for like couple hours like 8, then try peeling off.itt'll be easier, that's how I removed my donic blue contact which is almost impossible to remove. otherrubber should be more easy. otherwise  light Vaseline or petroleum oil might work as well. maybe vegetable oil. u should need some oily substance to help remove the rubber/latex from sponge

Edited by m123456 - 04/15/2017 at 1:55pm
Feng Shuei
henningf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote henningf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 3:37pm
I have never had problems with removing sealant off the blade (or splintering) when I have used Butterfly free chalk. But, if I want to remove the glue from the rubber.... Then the easy way is to use glue with VOC. (removing the VOC free glue is near impossible without tearing the rubber)
m123456 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m123456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 4:17pm

Edited by m123456 - 04/15/2017 at 4:20pm
Feng Shuei
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2017 at 4:38pm
I found if I put two layers of glue on the sponge originally, it is much easier to remove the glue later on if I should want to.  One layer of glue...much more difficult.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2017 at 3:43am
RUB RUB RUB RUB RUB RUB

'Til you get blister.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic