Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Review: Butterfly Spin Art

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

Well, I've heard different stuff about the hardness of the H3 Neo. I have played with the national version (if this means that the rubber is square and no edge is cut) and I have played with the commercial version for curiosity (four edges cut). There is no sign of the degree of hardness on both of them from what I can judge, but I might be wrong.

However, both of my H3 Neo rubbers are significantly softer than the Spin Art (and T05 as well), judging by both pressing the rubber with my finger and my impression of ball impact. I would never claim that my H3 rubbers are hard, but the Spin Art for sure is hard (though not the hardest rubber in the world). You still get decent dwell time when you hit hard, but on slow shots the rubber is extremely direct (hard).

Thanks for your comments.  I have a Neo H3 Commercial 39 degrees.  I'll see how it feels on a Primorac Carbon and if I don't like it, I'll try and test the Spin Art.

Sponsored Links

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 12:01am

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who was using speed-glued BTY Tackifire series (Tackifire Drive, Tackifire-C, Tackifire Special Soft) switched to SpinArt? If so, please share your impressions.  Thanks.

charlesj View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlesj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 7:13am
It is not as easy to generate good spin with Spin Art as compared to Tackiness Drive.

If BTY can increase the tackiness level and grip for the topsheet, it would be better.
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 8:53am
Originally posted by charlesj charlesj wrote:

It is not as easy to generate good spin with Spin Art as compared to Tackiness Drive.

If BTY can increase the tackiness level and grip for the topsheet, it would be better.

I disagree, the spin with spinart is beautiful (T05 or higher?), but understanding this rubber to be consistent with it is so hard for me.
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 9:49am
It's a good news since I found T05 isn't hard enough.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 11:06am
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who was using speed-glued BTY Tackifire series (Tackifire Drive, Tackifire-C, Tackifire Special Soft) switched to SpinArt? If so, please share your impressions.  Thanks.

I have used BTY Tackfire Sp Soft extensively, and Spinart does remind me of Tackifire Sp Soft. Very similar feeling. The topsheet formula is probably the same, maybe updated a little bit with Spinart. I've always liked the Tackifire Sp Soft topsheet. Spin Art is def slower than freshly speed glued Tackifire Sp Soft. (On most types of shots.) But when the speed glue wears off after a day, Spinart is definitely faster. So its like a med-glued tackifire Sp Soft. But Tackifire Sp Soft also has a softer feeling than Spinart, so I'm not saying they feel identical....

For me Spinart is too heavy. Also based on my technique it feels hard and dead... Sluggish. I understand it takes a different kind of stroke to hit the ball with spin art compared to Tenergy 05, for example. But the extra weight makes my setup feel cumbersome, so its more than just adjusting my stroke. You have to adjust your stroke to Spinart's physics, but you also have to adjust to the extra weight. A double negative in my opinion. And I think even a BTY MJ is too soft for spin art. You probably need a blade with faster rebound, like Clipper CR, etc. (I said faster rebound, not faster blade... MJ is a fast blade, but it has a slow, dwelly initial rebound compared to other fast wood and carbon blades.)

I think Spinart is much different than H3 NEO, BWII, and Globe 999 National. Those have lower throw and are faster. But my opinion of these comparisons is based alot on memory, so I might be way off.

I think people have been getting lucky with light versions of Spinart. Mine was noticeably heavier than any T05 I've ever owned.

Spinart is definitely a niche rubber. Takes just the right person and just the right setup to feel good. Fells like peanut butter to me.

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by LOOPMEISTER LOOPMEISTER wrote:

Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

I have used BTY Tackfire Sp Soft extensively, and Spinart does remind me of Tackifire Sp Soft. Very similar feeling. The topsheet formula is probably the same, maybe updated a little bit with Spinart. I've always liked the Tackifire Sp Soft topsheet. Spin Art is def slower than freshly speed glued Tackifire Sp Soft. (On most types of shots.) But when the speed glue wears off after a day, Spinart is definitely faster. So its like a med-glued tackifire Sp Soft. But Tackifire Sp Soft also has a softer feeling than Spinart, so I'm not saying they feel identical....

For me Spinart is too heavy. Also based on my technique it feels hard and dead... Sluggish. I understand it takes a different kind of stroke to hit the ball with spin art compared to Tenergy 05, for example. But the extra weight makes my setup feel cumbersome, so its more than just adjusting my stroke. You have to adjust your stroke to Spinart's physics, but you also have to adjust to the extra weight. A double negative in my opinion. And I think even a BTY MJ is too soft for spin art. You probably need a blade with faster rebound, like Clipper CR, etc. (I said faster rebound, not faster blade... MJ is a fast blade, but it has a slow, dwelly initial rebound compared to other fast wood and carbon blades.)

I think Spinart is much different than H3 NEO, BWII, and Globe 999 National. Those have lower throw and are faster. But my opinion of these comparisons is based alot on memory, so I might be way off.

I think people have been getting lucky with light versions of Spinart. Mine was noticeably heavier than any T05 I've ever owned.

Spinart is definitely a niche rubber. Takes just the right person and just the right setup to feel good. Fells like peanut butter to me.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts.

Loopmeister, thanks for the nice details.  I myself have used Tackifire Special Soft extensively.  I was hoping that SpinArt is the BTY solution for those that used to speed glue Tackifire series rubbers.  I think it's probably a good sub for those that speed-glued Tackifire-C which is BTY's attempt at a Chinese rubber.  So I can understand when you say that the feel of Tackifire Special Soft and SpinArt is very different.  I definitely hope they come up with SpinArt FX soon just like Tenergy FX is scheduled for the near future
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2010 at 5:55pm
There's some similarity between the two, but they are still different. However, Spinart is closer to fresh glued tackifire sp soft than it is to H3 NEO or BWII.

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 5:10am
I've tried Tackfire Special Soft on my friend's Gergely. It's quite good actually, the spin is higher than any butterfly rubber before Tenergy is available.
So if it's harder and faster than Tackfire Special Soft, worth to try.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 2:53pm

Short update:
Advantages of Spin Art compared to T05:
For me, the Spin Art excels for serves, returns and first attacks, and whenever you try to create maximum spin. The control in the passive play is very impressive. Notice that serve, return and first attack are just about the most important things in table tennis against most players.

Isn't this what T25 is supposed to be for also?  I'm interested in Spin Art now, because I just ordered a sheet of T25 from Dandoy to possibly replace T05 on my FH.  Do you have experience with T25 and can you explain the differences compared to Spin Art?  Thanks!
Iolite Neo, FH: Tenergy 25 2.1, BH: Tenergy 05 2.1
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by dansari dansari wrote:

Short update:
Advantages of Spin Art compared to T05:
For me, the Spin Art excels for serves, returns and first attacks, and whenever you try to create maximum spin. The control in the passive play is very impressive. Notice that serve, return and first attack are just about the most important things in table tennis against most players.

Isn't this what T25 is supposed to be for also?  I'm interested in Spin Art now, because I just ordered a sheet of T25 from Dandoy to possibly replace T05 on my FH.  Do you have experience with T25 and can you explain the differences compared to Spin Art?  Thanks!

My brief thoughts on that comparison, based on my experience:

T25 is faster with a little less spin. Spin Art feels a bit harder.

Spin Art is, for me, a bit easier to control than T25, but I like the feel of T25 better.

Ultimately, although it's not the exact same, Spin Art compares better to Chinese rubbers than to Tenergy, IMO.

To me, it's like a slightly faster Neo H3 with better feel.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 3:14pm
Thanks for your feedback, Anton.  It seems that T25 might be better suited to my game than Spin Art.

I don't mind a hard sponge at all - anyone remember the 2nd (I think) gen tensor Andro Revolution COR?  That was hard (48 deg), super fast and super spinny.
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by dansari dansari wrote:

Thanks for your feedback, Anton.  It seems that T25 might be better suited to my game than Spin Art.

I don't mind a hard sponge at all - anyone remember the 2nd (I think) gen tensor Andro Revolution COR?  That was hard (48 deg), super fast and super spinny.

you have no idea what a hard sponge is. Euro rubbers (tensors) have a different hardness rating. a 48 degree sponge from say andro or xiom is softer than a 38 degree sponge from DHS or haifu or butterfly.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
dansari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dansari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 3:44pm
Yes, I am familiar with that Smile

Revolution COR is still hard, though.
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 4:38pm
is spin art suitable for a fast smashing and blocking game?
KCREDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCREDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 4:55pm
Been using it for the last 2-3 weeks now, after taking it off the Stiga Clipper CR and putting it on my Stiga V1 WRB carbon.

Plays alot better, strokes are lot better, loaded with spin, beginning to prefer the spin art over t25 as dwell time is slightly higher on spin art.

Didn't have any trouble blocking or smashing with spin art either.
Blade:Stiga Hybrid Wood
FH:Tenergy 25 2.1
BH:Tenergy 25 1.9
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by KCREDT KCREDT wrote:

Been using it for the last 2-3 weeks now, after taking it off the Stiga Clipper CR and putting it on my Stiga V1 WRB carbon.

Plays alot better, strokes are lot better, loaded with spin, beginning to prefer the spin art over t25 as dwell time is slightly higher on spin art.

does spin art have the same solid feel and ability on smashes and blocks as tenergy 25? I currently use T25, but I'm considering Spin Art if it's really slower and easier to control. Is the topsheet of Spin Art more or less sensitive  to spin than the topsheet of Tenergy 25?
KCREDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCREDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

does spin art have the same solid feel and ability on smashes and blocks as tenergy 25? I currently use T25, but I'm considering Spin Art if it's really slower and easier to control. Is the topsheet of Spin Art more or less sensitive  to spin than the topsheet of Tenergy 25?

I would say it has a solid feel on smashes and blocks, thanks to the spring sponge. Imho what makes spin art work for me is the fact that it has the same sponge as T25.

Topsheet I would say is less responsive to spin than T25, I found "touch" shots in the mid game easier to perform.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 7:10pm

Imho what makes spin art work for me is the fact that it has the same sponge as T25.

Spinart has a different sponge than T25. Both sponges are in the "Spring Sponge" family, but the Spinart sponge is harder. That means its different. Wink

KCREDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCREDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 7:30pm

Imho what makes spin art work for me is the fact that it has the same sponge as T25.

Spinart has a different sponge than T25. Both sponges are in the "Spring Sponge" family, but the Spinart sponge is harder. That means its different. Wink

So there's a "family" of spring sponges? Confirmed by whom? To me they are both the same and feel the same. What is clearly different is the topsheets.

bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 8:37pm
the sponge is clearly harder, no idea who you need to confirm that. The sponge is harder the topsheet is tackier but you may be right that it is less responsive in an overall sense.

t25 would have more kick and bounce, spin art is better to slow down the game and do little touch shots.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 8:58pm

So there's a "family" of spring sponges? Confirmed by whom? To me they are both the same and feel the same. What is clearly different is the topsheets.

It says Spring Sponge on the package and its red and porous... So its obviously a Spring Sponge. And when you look on the Butterfly website you will see that the sponge hardness is 48. That's for the sponge not the whole rubber. T25 (and T05 and T64) are listed at 36. Tenergy-FX will be 32. So you see there is a "family" of Spring Sponges that have different degrees of hardness, spread across rubbers with different topsheets.

Clap

benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 9:11pm
According to Butterfly's materials, T05, T25, and T64 all have the same sponge and their tops sheets are all made with the same rubber, but with different pip sizes.  Spin Art must clearly have a different sponge to be harder, but I wonder if it has a truly different rubber for the top sheet or just yet a different organization/size of pips?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2010 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

According to Butterfly's materials, T05, T25, and T64 all have the same sponge and their tops sheets are all made with the same rubber, but with different pip sizes.  Spin Art must clearly have a different sponge to be harder, but I wonder if it has a truly different rubber for the top sheet or just yet a different organization/size of pips?

Spinart has a totally different rubber topsheet formula than the Tenergys. Tenergy topsheet is course/grainy and slightly grippy. It crumbles a little bit when you cut it or hit the table. Spinart doesn't have the course/grainy topsheet. Its smooth and tacky (BTY tacky).

KCREDT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KCREDT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2010 at 2:51am

It says Spring Sponge on the package and its red and porous... So its obviously a Spring Sponge. And when you look on the Butterfly website you will see that the sponge hardness is 48. That's for the sponge not the whole rubber. T25 (and T05 and T64) are listed at 36. Tenergy-FX will be 32. So you see there is a "family" of Spring Sponges that have different degrees of hardness, spread across rubbers with different topsheets.

Clap

Unfortunately for me, my japanese sucks! LOL, However going to the euro equivalent site it does state clearly in english, that the hardness on spin art is different to the tenergy's and the new tenergy-fx clearly states "softer spring sponge" in the description. Hold my hands up and stand corrected the "family" of spring sponges do exist.

I did compare this product to a H3 Neo Hurricane National blue sponge, which I prefered up until now.

A 32 degree sponge is going to be far too soft for me!!! staying well clear of any "FX" product. Spinart and Tenergy will probably be a long term setup for me now, reason being the medium-hard spring sponges are awesome products.
funpingpong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote funpingpong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2010 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

[QUOTE=dansari] [QUOTE=High_Arc]

Spin Art is, for me, a bit easier to control than T25, but I like the feel of T25 better.

Ultimately, although it's not the exact same, Spin Art compares better to Chinese rubbers than to Tenergy, IMO.

To me, it's like a slightly faster Neo H3 with better feel.

I wish Spin Art is as soft as H3 neo 39 degree!
Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2010 at 5:11pm
Is it time to replace the rubber when the pips show marks on the topsheet and it doesn't go away? I believe it still plays the same with the same tackiness all over the place :/
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
wyatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 1:10pm
Im thinking of getting a SPIN ART for my forehand. I really like T05 but then I switched to Haifu BW III 38� tuned and also liked it. I like T05 more but stayed with BW III for months coz I just wanna be the one using a different rubber.. so many uses tenergy

I use a custom allwood blade (HK 655 structure)

Anyway, Will I love SPIN ART? How hard is it compared to BW II/III 38� tuned or Globe 999 Nat 38�?

My strengths are Service, Opening Loop, Counterlooping at mid to long distance.. I also Lob balls @ long distance. In close table I only do passive blocks in the Forehand, Passive/Push block on the backhand.

thanks in advance..
Nexy Calix
Fh: T05 2.1
Bh: Pilot Advance 2.0
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 3:41pm
It is much harder than BW 38", slower than H3 and not very good for European type of topspin. An expensive and less durable version of Memo 3. So better stick to Memo 3 if you like the Chinese rubbers.
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2010 at 5:43pm
Wyatt you will love spin art and it does not feel as hard as the readings make it sound. Just buy it! If you don't like it can you sell it.

I bought a sheet and sold it after a week or two. Sure I lost some money, but for me it was worth it.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic