FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Brand new blade dented =[

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brand new blade dented =[
    Posted: 04/26/2010 at 12:37pm

two days ago i got a brand new nittaku tenaly carbon. yesterday i went to play with it. by far the greatest blade i have used. but when i went to go and do a fast tomahawk serve i dented the front part of the blade. would anyone have anytips on how to fix this or is it just best to cover its beauty with some edge tape? please help

Peter Korbel(Fl) 89 g|FH Almana 2.0|Sriver G2 1.7
Sponsored Links

ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 12:48pm
Edge tape is always a good idea for protection. Otherwise, there are several methods of repair depending on the damage. If you can describe the damage and/or provide a picture, it will be much easier for one of us to offer advice on repair method.
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 12:57pm
Get some wood putty from Home Depot and fix it.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Mdman Mdman wrote:

Get some wood putty from Home Depot and fix it.

+1.  I fix all the dent with wood feeler from Home Depot.
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 1:59pm

ok thanks i will post a picture so you guys can continue to help me i really want to help save this beautiful blade of mine. =[

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 2:42pm
Yeah post a pic of how bad it is... if it's not bad its better to just leave it.  No blade can stay perfect forever if its heavily used... battle scars will happen in time.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 6:01pm
heres the picture

ChopSmash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChopSmash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 6:11pm
I'd say just smooth out the hitting surface with approx. 220 grit on a flat sanding bar. Don't worry about the edge of the blade. It's not a very bad dent, at all.
Dawei Genote S
FH Nittaku Hammond Pro β
BH Yasaka Mark V
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 6:13pm
From the picture, it's not that bad.  Wood feeler the sand it down, and it will be good.  With the edge tape, you won't be able to see the dent at all.
LiftOff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiftOff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 6:46pm

Fill the dent with super glue.  It dries rock hard.  Much harder than wood filler.

As an aside, many use super glue to coat the edge of new blades before edge tape.  It strengthens the edge considerably and makes a much better surface for the edge tape. 

If you had done that initially your tomahawk serve mishap probably wouldn't have occurred.

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 7:18pm
lol but i tell you it was by far the spinniest tomahawk ever!
it litterly curved off the table and spun for about 2 minutes lol.
it was amazing but super glue dries to fast.was just worried if it might ruin the feel of the blade.

keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 8:16pm
Hahha when I first got my TBS I was so excited because it was my first blade I slapped on a T05 , ran downstairs to my table and swung at a ball I threw to my self and I tore the top part of the T05 and chipped the top of my blade....  haha Clap I was in shock ... couldn't believe my first swing F-ed up my equip that I spend 220$ on.Disapprove
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 8:20pm

lol that sucks you know what this inspired me to make a topic of blade uh-oh's! things that happened to peoples blades  new, old, or favorite. it should be hilarious. also if you have a picture please post it. lol. cant wait.

austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 9:21pm
bump =]

Rack View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2010 at 9:53pm
I would just leave it be, it's not even bad.  Won't affect the blade at all since if you're hitting anywhere close to there its a bad shot anyways.  Just straighten the part thats jutting upwards.
Yasaka Ma Lin YEO (1st) , Yasaka Extra CPEN (2nd)

FH - H3 NEO Pro 2.15 40H

BH - Tenergy 64 2.1
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 8:11am
how would i fix that? thats actually the part of concern lol. so please just tel me what to do to fix the little thing jutting out. =]

ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 8:33am
there are probably wood chips in the dented area so just try to remove those so it can be flatted.  then put some super glue to fill up that space or something.

my beloved HK655 has plenty of dents and actually a major ply split when i edged the table while practicing long serves.  it gave off the smell of burning wood!  just put some super glue in the crack and pressed it back flat and now it looks like nothing happened.

like Rack said, heavy used blades will have their scars.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 9:59am
but can you please tell me the procedure of getting the chips out lol. cause im not touching it with out guidance of how to do it.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:07am
Originally posted by LiftOff LiftOff wrote:

Fill the dent with super glue.  It dries rock hard.  Much harder than wood filler.

As an aside, many use super glue to coat the edge of new blades before edge tape.  It strengthens the edge considerably and makes a much better surface for the edge tape. 

If you had done that initially your tomahawk serve mishap probably wouldn't have occurred.

I agree with this suggestion.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 10:10am
you can put some drops of water on the dent area. Use force to make the dent area back to normal position. If there's a crack then it's more difficult to do, If only dent, using above method might help. I tried it on my all wood blades, it goes back to normal.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by austin austin wrote:

two days ago i got a brand new nittaku tenaly carbon. yesterday i went to play with it. by far the greatest blade i have used. but when i went to go and do a fast tomahawk serve i dented the front part of the blade. would anyone have anytips on how to fix this or is it just best to cover its beauty with some edge tape? please help

You already got some advice on how the fix the dent AFTER it's happened. now let me add one simple piece of advice on how to make sure this doesn't happen again

Step 1. Buy this

http://butterflyonline.com/online_store_productcloseup.asp?page=glue_clean.asp&type=13&ID=14&pg=1&SortBy=b.NewProd&displayNum=20

or find a smaller roll if you only need it for a couple of blades. If you are EJ-ing, then buy more!

You need 6 mm width !!

Stick the proper length of it (less than 50 cm) on the edge of your blade.

Step 2. Buy this

http://www.paddlepalace.com/Dr-Neubauer-Edge-Tape/productinfo/MUTA/6MM/

6 mm!

or (to save a bit of money; available at your local pharmacy or any stationery store)

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/171561/Scotch-Double-Sided-Foam-Mounting-Tape/

You need 1/2 inch (12 mm) wide tape.

In the latter case, cut of the proper length of the tape, then mark the center line and cut the tape with scissors along the marked line. This way you will get the edge protection for two blades at once.

Stick one half (6 mm wide) on the edge of your blade, covering the original cloth tape.

Step 3. Again use the cloth tape from Step 1 to cover the top side of the thick tape from Step 2.

That's it - it took you probably less than 3 minutes and now you are perfectly protected. It really makes sense especially if you have just bought a $150 blade which you want to play with for some considerable amount of time (or even if you intend to resell it after testing).
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 1:04pm
Alright thanks. I think I can call this uh-oh an FML. LOL.
Jim would it be possible to open up a blade uh-oh sticky forum topic for everyone to seek help or tell their uh-oh story?

LiftOff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiftOff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:50pm

lol but i tell you it was by far the spinniest tomahawk ever!
it litterly curved off the table and spun for about 2 minutes lol.
it was amazing but super glue dries to fast.was just worried if it might ruin the feel of the blade.

Lightly sand the bump.

Put super glue on very thin, a section of the edge at a time, wiping off the excess carefully so it doesn't run.  Super glue only dries fast under contact/pressure.  If you just put it on the edge it takes a few hours to dry unless you use an accelerant.  (I do my blade edges and use the accelerant.  It dries instantly.)

Super glue comes in various consistancies.  Thin, medium, thick and gel.  For this purpose gel is the best but maybe not attactive since you have so little to do. 

I'm a wood worker by hobby and use this stuff all the time.  Goggle '2P-10' for an idea of what I'm talking about. 

Lastly, stand further from the table next time.  LOL  Wink

Good luck
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 2:54pm
lol thanks i will try. *imagines self standing at other side of the room serving to oppenent* would that be good or a little further?

LiftOff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiftOff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 3:09pm

lol thanks i will try. *imagines self standing at other side of the room serving to oppenent* would that be good or a little further?

My concern would be you stand back to accomplish this whiz bang serve and end up splitting you knee open with the blade handle.  

Just sayin'  Smile
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 3:39pm
You do have to be careful when treating the edge of the blade wiht the gel form of superglue.  I've seen it put on thick enough that it actually changed the balance of the blade and made it too fast, or at least gave it a "wrb" type feel.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
LiftOff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiftOff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

You do have to be careful when treating the edge of the blade wiht the gel form of superglue.  I've seen it put on thick enough that it actually changed the balance of the blade and made it too fast, or at least gave it a "wrb" type feel.

I agree.  The thicker stuff doesn't run, the thinner does.  If he doesn't have an accelerant then the thicker is probably better, but the application should be put on and wiped off to develop a thin layer with the thick glue.

Can't imagine how thick it would have to been to change the dynamics of the blade.  That's a problem usually with sealing the face of the blade.
walleyeguy7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walleyeguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 6:02pm
leave it, it adds character
austin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 6:09pm
lmfao. nice. but i like to allow my 100$ blade to have a nice look not beaten and abused lol.

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by LiftOff LiftOff wrote:

Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I agree.  The thicker stuff doesn't run, the thinner does.  If he doesn't have an accelerant then the thicker is probably better, but the application should be put on and wiped off to develop a thin layer with the thick glue.

Can't imagine how thick it would have to been to change the dynamics of the blade.  That's a problem usually with sealing the face of the blade.

That's why foam edge tape is a better option. If you feel that the balance shifted a bit you can take it off. Try two layers of regular cloth edge tape instead.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic