Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palatinus - OSP Ultimate ST Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Palatinus - OSP Ultimate ST Review
    Posted: 06/13/2010 at 1:05am
The OSP Ultimate blade is very well made.  My 1st impression when I received the blade, it was a "true beauty!" This 7 ply all wood plays like DHS Hurrican King imo.  I put on T05 2.1mm (FH) and Bryce 2.1mm (BH).  just knocking around, the ball had a good bounce. The blade weighs about 95g, the same as my 1st Timo Boll ALC ST :)

Then I finally brought it to a local recreation center in my neighborhood, and I played with a few people.  And here is my feedback on this OSP Ultimate blade.

The guy I played with was a shakehand looper and with med spins, maybe he was afraid to miss, but after a few light hits, he began to loop/hit harder.  That's when I realized that this blade has a wonderful control either blocking the loop shots or counter looping.  It is not a slow blade if you ask for my opinion, it is truely an OFF blade with good control.

Then I started to loop a few shots to my opponent, Oh my goodness, he couldn't return any of my med ~ heavy loop shots.  So, I thought to myself, perhaps I should be easy with the topspins.  And I did, he reacted better. 

I also realized that this blade is good for flat hitting. You can really feel the wood part touching the ball when you smash and hit really hard.  It's a solid feeling man!

Pushing/hitting with my backhand was totally effortless.   I had one hand on my thigh, the other pushing/hitting, I thought I was pro :).

To sum up, this blade does not feel like a Stiga blade.  It it more of a DHS PF4+Hurricane King+clipper wood- (minus) the stiffness of some top blades.  I am really confident about the quality of Palatius blades. 2 thumbs up!!  I do recommend this to players of All+ ~ OFF styles.

Thank you Palatinus,

You rock!

tsanycTongue
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 3:33am
Is this blade good for pure looper? how about the dwell time compared to clipper wood? How fast is this blade?

95 gr weight is nice, too bad the heaviest Virtuoso is only 87 gr. I wish the blade has +/- 5 grams from standard weight.
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

tsanyc View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2010 at 4:43pm
I actually loop a lot, and it works for me.  I can't speak for anyone else.
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2010 at 8:07am
Hey everyone.Let me post here my test to OSP Ultimate:

OSP Ultimate

I got the Offensive 7ply wood from the new OSP (oldtiga by palatinus) blades

Size: 158x150 ,91 gr, 5.8 mm , ST balanced…littlebit headheavy

Forehand: Tenergy 05 2,1  (oil tuned )

Backhand: Roundell 2.1 (rather shabby)

First of all i want to describe the main elements, after a summary and impressions on a match.

Chop:

Chopping is punctual even with the tuned tenergy.

If i wanted to make heavy chops i had to make faster strokes with my wrist, beacause it feels  sometimes more bouncy then expected. But after some mistake i could gave very hard spins.

Counter:

Counter is not a difficult element and can be expected for a blade not to take more mistakes.

With this ultimate the tenergy feels harder but even more punctual then i thought, the combo feels little hitter setup, but still good. You don’ have to be hard this works form itself.

Drop,Blocking:

Shorter dropps are not so easy with this but this not designsed for passive game its sure.

But blocking a little bit away about 40 cm far is a heaven i could place the ball with ease and it was unpleasent because of lower arc.

If i push it little like close to table counterspin but just wrist stroke it was’nt gave back.

My partner said : „You could do that ? Nice”

Nor am I thouhgt that it is so easy to make harder blocks like Maze sometimes

Topspin against chopped ball:

Beacuse of lower arc you must pull the arm little bit more vertically but not too uncomfortable way.

It gave a lot of spin with lower arc and slower speed but the ball is going fater down after touching the table.

It was more unpleasent than i thought. I have to say this is nor my strenght

Topspin against block,topspin against topspin:

Dinamyc topspins is a modern hitter loop and feels like your still using fresh glued sriver fx :)

I could make very fast topspins to end of the table…with high amount of spin.

Hard and spinny bachand topspins could be carried out with little wrist moves.

I could make backhand shots as well if wanted.

Serve,Receive

I could make serves with lot of spins but chopped serves wasn’t so easy, instead i gave empty serves and after i could finish te ponits with this weaponJ

Receiving is easy if your good with topspins and flicks short dropps is a little bit hard for me but I am using ow the slower brother ,Virtouso.

Summary:

However i lost the match int he finel set, but my partner said :  „you were more agressive, i was surprised „

I used to lost against him becasue he is playing 4 class higher tournament but I am satisfied with the two set won and what he said.

This is still a looper blade but stiffer so maybe well suit for modern topspin game.

Some forum writers compared it with clipper. I can say it is better than clipper in all aspects.Not comperable

First of all it has feeling!!Good feedback in your palm, Much more spin and so punctual.

Higher arc, and not a linearblade…so if you want to be softer,so you can! But if you are harder this a fast killer weapon.

If you are looking for well balanced offensive blade with superb control this is what you want

I am sure you will stop EJ’ ing ;)

OSP VIRTUOSO AC (L=159 mm)( Aramid/Carbon)

FH: Tenergy 80
BH: Tenergy 80
Boosted with Falco long

OSP Blades

eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2010 at 9:33am
any other?? waiting for more reviews!! ;)
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2010 at 10:00am
Ultimat OSP Blade arrived, craftman is fantastic, balance also.. will try tonite.
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2010 at 7:10pm
eecrive

What rubbers do you intend using on the OSP Ultimate?
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2010 at 9:47am
He likes soft rubbers ;)
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 3:33am
tue... t05 too hard...
Peter C View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2010 at 7:55pm
I can imagine J O Silver on backhand and Energy Xtra on the forehand, working well on the Ultimate.
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 4:22am
I tried it with donic baracuda (I like it 2.0mm because of its similar behaviour to glued european rubbers) and it was a bit too much for me.. It was a bit too sharp, and a bit fast but very clean feeling. With Virtuoso I got about 5% shorter but higher arc and it bites the ball exaclty as I want.
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 9:55am
seems i had to take virtuoso too...
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 10:02am
and an Expert also :)
eecrive View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eecrive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2010 at 10:25am
but i want a 7 layers.. no way!
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 1:14pm
virtuoso where can I order this

AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
fzolesz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fzolesz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

Use my link in my signature or in Pllsystem's signature
OSP VIRTUOSO AC (L=159 mm)( Aramid/Carbon)

FH: Tenergy 80
BH: Tenergy 80
Boosted with Falco long

OSP Blades

chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by fzolesz fzolesz wrote:

Originally posted by chris.b40 chris.b40 wrote:

Use my link in my signature or in Pllsystem's signature

Thank you
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2010 at 1:15pm
Got your order Chris.
Thanks
louisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2011 at 10:24am

The OSP Ultimate blade is very well made.  My 1st impression when I received the blade, it was a "true beauty!" This 7 ply all wood plays like DHS Hurrican King imo.  I put on T05 2.1mm (FH) and Bryce 2.1mm (BH).  just knocking around, the ball had a good bounce. The blade weighs about 95g, the same as my 1st Timo Boll ALC ST :)

Then I finally brought it to a local recreation center in my neighborhood, and I played with a few people.  And here is my feedback on this OSP Ultimate blade.

The guy I played with was a shakehand looper and with med spins, maybe he was afraid to miss, but after a few light hits, he began to loop/hit harder.  That's when I realized that this blade has a wonderful control either blocking the loop shots or counter looping.  It is not a slow blade if you ask for my opinion, it is truely an OFF blade with good control.

Then I started to loop a few shots to my opponent, Oh my goodness, he couldn't return any of my med ~ heavy loop shots.  So, I thought to myself, perhaps I should be easy with the topspins.  And I did, he reacted better. 

I also realized that this blade is good for flat hitting. You can really feel the wood part touching the ball when you smash and hit really hard.  It's a solid feeling man!

Pushing/hitting with my backhand was totally effortless.   I had one hand on my thigh, the other pushing/hitting, I thought I was pro :).

To sum up, this blade does not feel like a Stiga blade.  It it more of a DHS PF4+Hurricane King+clipper wood- (minus) the stiffness of some top blades.  I am really confident about the quality of Palatius blades. 2 thumbs up!!  I do recommend this to players of All+ ~ OFF styles.

Thank you Palatinus,

You rock!

tsanycTongue
Hello.Can you pls compare your ultimate with the ALC in terms of speed, throw - arc, looping, counterlooping, short game, blocking and hitting?Between the two blades which one dou you prefer and for what reasons?Thanks
Timo Boll ALC ST

FH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Black

BH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
louisc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2011 at 10:27am

Hello. Can you pls compare the virtuoso+ with the ultimate in terms of speed, throw, looping, and feeling?Which one do you prefer?Thanks

Originally posted by fzolesz fzolesz wrote:

OSP Ultimate

I got the Offensive 7ply wood from the new OSP (oldtiga by palatinus) blades

Size: 158x150 ,91 gr, 5.8 mm , ST balanced…littlebit headheavy

Forehand: Tenergy 05 2,1  (oil tuned )

Backhand: Roundell 2.1 (rather shabby)

First of all i want to describe the main elements, after a summary and impressions on a match.

Chop:

Chopping is punctual even with the tuned tenergy.

If i wanted to make heavy chops i had to make faster strokes with my wrist, beacause it feels  sometimes more bouncy then expected. But after some mistake i could gave very hard spins.

Counter:

Counter is not a difficult element and can be expected for a blade not to take more mistakes.

With this ultimate the tenergy feels harder but even more punctual then i thought, the combo feels little hitter setup, but still good. You don’ have to be hard this works form itself.

Drop,Blocking:

Shorter dropps are not so easy with this but this not designsed for passive game its sure.

But blocking a little bit away about 40 cm far is a heaven i could place the ball with ease and it was unpleasent because of lower arc.

If i push it little like close to table counterspin but just wrist stroke it was’nt gave back.

My partner said : „You could do that ? Nice”

Nor am I thouhgt that it is so easy to make harder blocks like Maze sometimes

Topspin against chopped ball:

Beacuse of lower arc you must pull the arm little bit more vertically but not too uncomfortable way.

It gave a lot of spin with lower arc and slower speed but the ball is going fater down after touching the table.

It was more unpleasent than i thought. I have to say this is nor my strenght

Topspin against block,topspin against topspin:

Dinamyc topspins is a modern hitter loop and feels like your still using fresh glued sriver fx :)

I could make very fast topspins to end of the table…with high amount of spin.

Hard and spinny bachand topspins could be carried out with little wrist moves.

I could make backhand shots as well if wanted.

Serve,Receive

I could make serves with lot of spins but chopped serves wasn’t so easy, instead i gave empty serves and after i could finish te ponits with this weaponJ

Receiving is easy if your good with topspins and flicks short dropps is a little bit hard for me but I am using ow the slower brother ,Virtouso.

Summary:

However i lost the match int he finel set, but my partner said :  „you were more agressive, i was surprised „

I used to lost against him becasue he is playing 4 class higher tournament but I am satisfied with the two set won and what he said.

This is still a looper blade but stiffer so maybe well suit for modern topspin game.

Some forum writers compared it with clipper. I can say it is better than clipper in all aspects.Not comperable

First of all it has feeling!!Good feedback in your palm, Much more spin and so punctual.

Higher arc, and not a linearblade…so if you want to be softer,so you can! But if you are harder this a fast killer weapon.

If you are looking for well balanced offensive blade with superb control this is what you want

I am sure you will stop EJ’ ing ;)

Timo Boll ALC ST

FH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Black

BH:Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/01/2011 at 3:22am

I'll test one soon; I can't wait. My little pinky is telling me that my couple MJ could both retire soon into somebody else's hand (hopefully the same).

johnny89atc View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2011 at 4:59pm
fatt I just finished gluing the Ultimate that it was sent to me for testing when I saw your post. I glued an Air Illumina on forehand and a Donic Baracuda on backhand...

I will test it in the following days and I will give it also to other players (better and worse) to test it also and I'll write the impressions here. I am also going to write a comparison to the Virtuoso with which I play for nine months now...
Blade: OSP Virtuoso-L RST 87gr
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 2:40am
Thanks fatt for testing.
tomas.gt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomas.gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 3:13am
Fatt, you chose good rubbers so you probably could not see it, but overall mizutani blade is superior to ultimate in every department, although I like the feel of ultimate much much more. Ultimate is capable of extremely good powershots, but not on regular basis. I blame the blade itself, because there are blades that can do that regularly. Also, I expected ultimate as 7ply blade - e.g. blade for game style, which is typical for 7ply - power driving blade. The ultimate I got is meant to be played the similar way as traditional 5ply allwood, but it has something additional from 7plies, but not enough to be the real 7ply blade.
Kokutaku Bishu no.1 ST - H3N red , BTfly Spinart 2.1 black
mercuur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercuur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2011 at 5:55am
How someone experiences these faster osp blades depends a lot on technicque. For powerlooping with chinese rubbers (as in Thomas signature) most players tend to put more momentum on the blade (between head and handle) by putting pressure on the lower part of the grip on fh side (effectively use a long(er) grip). Others (often using fast katapulting rubbers) hold the blade closer to the bladeface putting pressure more higher on the grip at less distance from the neckarea with less leverage and momentum. They -relatively - use the rubber for spring more and bladeflex less. The higher gripping adds enough stability to the lamina and thus control with -more - springy rubber.

Someone who uses the full leverage of the handle (long grip) the soft relatively thick and small abachi layer (the lighter wood in the griphalve) making the griphalves lighter overall is sandwiched between the strong walnutlayer on top of the griphalves and the woodlamina.
The stiffer, faster the lamina, the bigger the momentum/impact on these abachi layers will be. Therefor the gain in stability can be less then one would expect from the laminabuild.

Straight handle the abachi and walnut stripes are wider and the wallnut runs a bit further onto the blade face then with anatomic, conic and - to a lesser extend - flared. St will be more stable and consistent because of that ; the hard walnutlayer does a better job for stability and the impact on the abachi layer is spread over a bigger surface area  (thus less for the material).

The Osp site allready says it : These blades are tuned for the new generation rubbers meaning tensors and tenergy not so much for the chinese rubbers. You can,t optimally tune a blade or one single gripdesign for all type of new generation rubbers it,s as simple as that. Palatinus is fully aware of these things as anyone with some (much less) bladebuilding experience and in my opinion should offer special design for chinese type of rubbers and/or be honest and open about these limitations on a public forum that they use to market their blades.

Edited by mercuur - 04/18/2011 at 6:13am
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/24/2011 at 6:28am
Another Ultimate is in Greece, I am - or seem to be - the next in the line. Don't know about your Ultimate.

How was the tourney in Seattle?
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:33pm
God knows I dont need another blade, but this thing is so beautiful..  (biting nails)
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2011 at 3:51pm
I am the lucky one who is testing it now and the next one will be Imago. Very good blade...
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 4:05pm
I want to thank Ioannis for the Ultimate - got it today from the post office. It is in perfect shape - not even a scratch and the smallest ding. Handle is ST, weight is 95 gr. I attached first a black Mars 2 @ 34 deg. and a red Joola Topspin max. Looked like an OFF- combo with much control. Then I took off the Topspin and replaced it with an old H2 @ 40. So the lion woke up.

Will come back tomorrow with more detailed review.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnny89atc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2011 at 9:59pm
I'm glad you received it ImagoSmile, I hope you'll enjoy playing with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic