Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy 05-FX - Initial Impressions/Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tenergy 05-FX - Initial Impressions/Review
    Posted: 06/19/2010 at 5:18am
As the existing thread about T05-FX appears to be the domain for only Boz and High Arc I thought I would create a separate topic to post my initial comments. Please feel free to contibute your own comments and reviews here in due course.

1. The reviewer:
I'm a two winged attacking player who looks for 3rd/5th ball opportunities, but will rally it out if necessary. Hard to tell my level but would think I'm somehere in the 1900-2000 range, possibly slightly higher. Very good server so this factor is of importance to me. Tested on a Palatinus custom-made OFF blade - limba outers a la Korbel and Maximus. I have played with T05 almost exclusively on my forehand since it was released in May 2008 and so am familiar with T05's strengths and weaknesses.

2. Physical Properties: Very similar to regular T05. The sponge feels softer and is also perhaps slightly more porous though hard to tell. Topsheet looks the same. Package weight 87g, uncut 64g, cut to TBS shape blade 44g.

3. Speed:
- Speed on slow strokes. Counterhitting was very easy and there was a decent sound when the speed/power increased and you got deeper into the sponge. Blocking was also very easy and controlled. I was practicing rather than playing matches and so wasn't using many slow openers over the table but those I did hit felt similar to T05 - perhaps slightly higher throw.
- Speed on power loops. Speed on power loops was very good, but not extreme. Plenty of 'put away' power, but maybe missing the extreme 'Tenergy Ball'� power that T05 sometimes displays. A liitle bit 'mushy' perhaps but too early to tell fully though.
- Speed on power drives/smashes. T05-FX is a very easy rubber to hit power drives with and felt a bit more like a regular tensor here, e.g. Express 1, but in a Tenergy styl-ee.

4. Spin:
- Spin on a loops. Very spinny as you would expect from the Tenergy topsheet, however I felt that the softer sponge perhaps contributed to a bit less spin than regular T05 at higher speeds. Interestingly, I felt that T05-FX felt a bit lower throw than T05 on more powerful loops, but that it was higher throw on slower loops (more like T64 or Genius perhaps) - although it is too ealy to confirm this feeling for sure.
- Spin on serves/pushes. Wasn't playing matches so it is hard to comment on the short game. Did one or two routines beginning with a short backspin serves and T05-FX was very good for keeping these serves short and tight. Didn't utilise my �hook serve and will be interested to see how the softer sponge affects control/spin etc. in due course.

5. Control:
Overall I thought that T05-FX was easier to control (less extreme) than T05 -  though as I didn't use it in a match situation I cannot comment on serve return which is where the money really is.

6. Other Playing properties: As I said before, I wasn't quite sure about throw angle. Loop/drives felt lower throw and had a low and sharply dipping trajectory. On the occasions where I didn't fully commit and didn't get deep into the sponge it felt quite high throw - as I said earlier more akin to T64 and Genius. Nice sound on harder shots but not extreme like Energy Xtra or Nimbus Sound etc.

7. Reference: As you would expect T05-FX is a more controlled version of T05 that perhaps lacks that extra overdrive gear that T05 is able to produce on occasion.

8. Other comments I never liked T05 as a backhand rubber (or more accurately it didn't suit my style/technique) but found I could play OK with T05-FX. Will probably stick to something like Solcion or the Bryce Speed FX I am currently dabbling with.

Summary
I only hit for 2 hours last night and didn't get to use it in a match situation, however T05-FX was almost exactly what I expected (and hoped) it would be. I would need to be sure of it's capabilities in the short game before committing to it instead of regular T05 but I would not anticipate this being a problem.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm
Sponsored Links

Sallom89 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sallom89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 5:38am
Thanks for the review!
Member of Wang Hao fan club.

Hurricane Hao III
FH: Thors
RPB: Omega Pro
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 7:31am
Good and thorough review, thanks! I agree with all of it I think.

Of course you could have posted this in the other thread, I guess the title of "our" thread it is misleading. Perhaps we should even copy paste this review into the other thread or mine (and boz following one) into this one, what do you think?
ThaiLe View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaiLe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 7:09pm
Interesting rubber.  So tempted???
Great review.

Thx
goldfish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 7:27pm
Thanks. good to know T05 fx. I am using regular T05 on both sides. Hesitating  changing T05 fx for my backhand. Thanks again
Innerforce ZLC cs
FH:Tenergy05 2.1mm
BH:Donic Vario sound 2.0 mm
Items for Sale
Genesis View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genesis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2010 at 9:43pm
Thanks for the comprehensive review, Graeme! As I suspected, the T05-FX will be a good candidate for a backhand rubber. Cheers!

T05 | AMULTART.SI-TBZLC.ST-PHOTINO.ST | T05
The 'TRINITY'
bozbrisvegas View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 4:18am
I still don't know why my name is on that other review...

It was proposition. Anyway the review here sounds as though it fully supports all that Higharc said. Everything about the rubber is what I expected prior to release also.

Only thing I still am not happy about is that it isn't more than a couple of grams lighter than tenergy 64.
Grubba Variant ALL
fh: Hurricane 38 degrees MAX
bh: tensor MAX
Watch me playing TT
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 4:27am
Originally posted by Genesis Genesis wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive review, Graeme! As I suspected, the T05-FX will be a good candidate for a backhand rubber. Cheers!

backhand sounds good until t 64 fx

also there will be a hell of a lot of new cross rubber comparisons. for example..

I know everyone compares to tenergy 05, but how does this new fx compare to:

hexer or vega pro or tibhar....

Could you guys explain also explain how you stretch your rubber because I find enormous differences, to speed?

Harder varieties of rubbers seem to maintain the stretch better because of the hard sponge almost pre stretching the topsheet, where as soft sponges have so much more give and are dynamic with the results.

Graeme also:

I recently tried a both side brand new tbs st with solcions, but they were home brew tuned or glued. I swear I would quit Tenergy for how that set up felt.

ALA glue,.... dabbling in solcion and saying you wouldn't stay with t05 fx or original is because?

too fast, spinny? and do you alter these babies?

Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 1:27pm
Boz!

Had to read your questions a couple of times to make sure I understood! I've been using Solcion 1.9 on my backhand for about a year now - haven't tried 2.1. If someone is having problems playing with Solcion then it is their technique and not the rubber. Very controllable with none of the unpleasant surprises you get with some tensors. Never played with it glued - I used to heavily wet glue back in the day and I suspect it just might have been too soft. Two sheets of Solcion on an ALL+ to OFF blade and you have a very decent control set-up.

In terms of T05 and T05FX on the backhand, basically I never felt fully in control of T05. Yes I could do looping drills and routines with it but that was with secure/known footwork. The problem is when you are in a match situation and you are out of position and/or the footwork isn't quite there. T05 is not very forgiving in these scenarios - and that's where points are lost or not lost. Lower throw rubbers such as Solcion and Bryce Speed FX offer that bit more in those situations - for me at least.

T05FX felt quite nice on my backhand although I didn't give it an extensive work out on Friday night. If I trained hard with it I reckon I could use it as a backhand rubber, but not T05. Again just personal preference and style. I haven't tuned or glued a rubber since the glue ban came in and TBH I'm no longer curious. While I miss my wet glued Mendo MP and can find nothing like it I have successfully adjusted to T05 and like the consistency of play from day to day.
Butterfly Korbel ST
Gr8GrZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gr8GrZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 7:58pm
Sounds like its the perfect backhand sheet for 05 users on both sides. I will be putting it on this week.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 8:35pm
GW - thanks

Well expressed, you succinctly expressed why I used Solcion on my bh.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2010 at 11:20pm
I am this close to getting a T05 FX from tt-japan.net :) GW - how is the TT up in Scotland? Is it worth a golf/TT vacation trip?
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
GraemeW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraemeW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2010 at 6:43am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

I am this close to getting a T05 FX from tt-japan.net :) GW - how is the TT up in Scotland? Is it worth a golf/TT vacation trip?

The TT is good especially around the main cities Glasgow and Edinburgh. I play my TT in the West in and around Glasgow and so can advise you where and when to go - maybe even arrange a hit!

The golf in Scotland is superb ... but I'm biased! I live about 20 mins drive from Royal Troon and Prestwick Old (home of the first ever Open) and a further 20 or so mins South takes you to Turnberry! In the East there are ther gems such as St Andrews, Carnoustie (a brute!) and Muirfield. But even away from the famous championship courses there are many, many fantastic courses - both links (seaside) and parkland to be discovered and enjoyed. Courses such as Blairgowrie - the last course that Alastair MacKenzie worked on in Scotland before heading to the States and creating Augusta!

You can't go wrong!
Butterfly Korbel ST
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2010 at 12:06am
That sounds awesome! I would love to make it back to my Scottish roots one day. It is a trip I must make!
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bozbrisvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2011 at 12:46pm
I have now been using tenergy 05 fx for a very extended period of time and feel I have moved beyond initial impressions greatly.  I am totally used to it now after I am guessing almost half a year of using it I can say for anyone who thought tenergy 05 was too hot to handle then fx is against all my initial thoughts YES FX IS MORE EASY TO CONTROL.  I still prefer the original but am just finding for now the weight shorter length the rubber kicks forward more easy to control for my forehand which has always been weaker.  I thought I would update because in this video you can se me using it on my fh after a longer period.  I am using blitz bh and it is all on the yasaka balsa blade, so you can see a how 3 companies sit in one combination and maybe peeps dont think im a butterfly fanboy anymore.
Grubba Variant ALL
Watch me playing TT
gatz View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2011 at 1:23pm
Am not a big fan of Tenergy 05 but the tenery 05 fx is tolerable and actually am getting to like it than my tenergy 25. For now am using it in my FH and occasionally to my BH if i twiddle. Now i have a serious thought of going back to a smooth rubber on my Bh using tenergy 05 fx, just a thought.Smile
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   
tabl10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabl10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2011 at 3:45pm
Is FX better on I.F. ZLC or ZLF(BH will be Spinart).
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2011 at 5:28pm
boz... unfortunate, but if you have given even 1/6th the time you have given t05-fx to adjust, you would have been madly in love with thor's by now. :)

729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
alborz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alborz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 8:54am
good review. Thumbs Up
Balde : Donic Epox Control
Forehand : Donic BlueFire M1 (Black / MAX)
Backhand : Donic Vario Big Slam (Red / MAX)

Zhang Jike : Man Of Steel
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 10:30am
 I find T05FX on FH in 1.9 great for my close to table looping/driving game. I can loop with good speed with good confidence and scary spin. Still working on service return with T05FX but it's getting better with each session. When I perform a side-spin loop the ball is breaking much more by 1-2 inches more which can baffle some opponents. Smashes are ok but must have correct positioning and technique. Overall FX version offers more control, slightly less speed than the regular version. The top sheet has no tack at all but is very grippy. If you use a film cover on it get the sticky version as the regular film cover will slide right off. I feel players in the 1500-1800 level can use T05FX with some adjustment to benefit their game. Seems very durable....but for a rubber that cost so much it should have good durability. Just my 2 cents. Smile

Edited by frogger - 09/16/2012 at 10:44am
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/16/2012 at 6:20pm

Originally posted by alborz alborz wrote:

good review. 

Good grave dig.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
amitmnagarwal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2013 at 9:09am
T 0 5Fx 1.9 mm is better or 2.1 mm , plz advice
Amit Agarwal

Blade : Michael Maze
FH : T05 max
BH : R47
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2014 at 3:45pm
Just tried 05fx on my Maze briefly, when doing looping drills my partner noticed how much spinnier my loops were, and at the same speed. Hmm... I stick with this for now, not too sure if I like it or not, due to the lack of power vs MX-P, but still really nice..
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2014 at 6:41pm
@ Smackdat

I notice that you use T05/MX-P on the same blade. It would be interesting to hear your comparison especially why you favour T05 on your FH.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2014 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Just tried 05fx on my Maze briefly, when doing looping drills my partner noticed how much spinnier my loops were, and at the same speed. Hmm... I stick with this for now, not too sure if I like it or not, due to the lack of power vs MX-P, but still really nice..

Try EL-P.  It is great. No loss of power compared to MX-P, but very nice feel.  Sounds like you might like it a lot.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2014 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by amitmnagarwal amitmnagarwal wrote:

T 0 5Fx 1.9 mm is better or 2.1 mm , plz advice

Is it better to eat the whole BigMac or just the half of it?

better for what? in what situation? is the person who eats it obese? does he have any choice or time to go to another restaurant? does he like meat at all? etc etc.

Your question is about as valid, I am sorry to say. Even if you provide us with info about your blade, your style, your technique etc, it will be still be almost absolutely impossible to answer. The only answer is - try it and decide for yourself. But that answer is so generic that you probably know it without asking.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

@ Smackdat

I notice that you use T05/MX-P on the same blade. It would be interesting to hear your comparison especially why you favour T05 on your FH.
Tinykin, this is just my personal preferance, but if you must know; I prefer T05 because the downsides of T05 are less noticeable on my forehand. For example, I rarely recieve serves with my forehand, and when I do, it will probably be a loop return off a fast serve. I feel the spin sensitivity does not matter on the forehand, in a way it is a good thing. I find T05 great for slow opening loops, as well as its counter looping abilities; I don't need the extra speed/linear control MX-P gives me, as the forehand is naturally a more powerful stroke which requires more arm. That being said, MX-P is a great rubber on the forehand as well. It all comes down to personal preference, but I find when I'm pressured to counter back a topspin or am out of position T05 is just slightly better than MX-P. I see you're from the UK as well, I get my tenergies @ £43 from a private seller/friend so I guess it comes down to price really. If you can get MX-P for £30-35 vs Tenergies £50 I do recommend you stay with MX-P but since I only change my rubbers every 5-6 months I only settle for the best :D

On topic: I am liking T05fx on the backhand as much as MX-P; backhand loops feel more natural and backhand counter rallies feel easier to play without a loss of speed (in general)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Try EL-P.  It is great. No loss of power compared to MX-P, but very nice feel.  Sounds like you might like it a lot.
Thanks for the advice Baal. Not to throw it out of the window though, I do feel like T05 has a slightly better feel than MX-P, so it may be wiser to pick the softer version of T05 than the softer Evolution? Hmm... Baal, why did you switch to T05/T80 setup vs MX-P both sides? Due to better feel? Better control? 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:38am

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

@ Smackdat

Tinykin, this is just my personal preferance, but if you must know; I prefer T05 because the downsides of T05 are less noticeable on my forehand. For example, I rarely recieve serves with my forehand, and when I do, it will probably be a loop return off a fast serve. I feel the spin sensitivity does not matter on the forehand, in a way it is a good thing. I find T05 great for slow opening loops, as well as its counter looping abilities; I don't need the extra speed/linear control MX-P gives me, as the forehand is naturally a more powerful stroke which requires more arm. That being said, MX-P is a great rubber on the forehand as well. It all comes down to personal preference, but I find when I'm pressured to counter back a topspin or am out of position T05 is just slightly better than MX-P. I see you're from the UK as well, I get my tenergies @ £43 from a private seller/friend so I guess it comes down to price really. If you can get MX-P for £30-35 vs Tenergies £50 I do recommend you stay with MX-P but since I only change my rubbers every 5-6 months I only settle for the best :D

On topic: I am liking T05fx on the backhand as much as MX-P; backhand loops feel more natural and backhand counter rallies feel easier to play without a loss of speed (in general)

Cheers. I actually bought the EL-P from the vender/sponsor at the Cardiff GP. Were you there?

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:47am
@ SmackDAT - A little side step... Have you tried T25 FX ...?

I'm loving T25 FX (Max) on BH and find T05 FX a bit squirrelly at times.

T25 FX sleeps for control shots, wakes up on loops and really comes alive on Chuang Chih Yuan style BH ripped drives/ power loops. I feel it has a wide range of gears, counter rallies are a breeze and it works really well in match play. ...

Edited by CraneStyle - 01/26/2014 at 9:57am
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic