Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you pay for coaching?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
prott.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prott.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much do you pay for coaching?
    Posted: 07/04/2010 at 7:49pm
Hi,
How much do you pay for coaching or how much you charge Wink, what's the level of your coach? I'd be interesting to seewhat are the rates in different countries: USA, Europe, Asia.
Sponsored Links

j0hn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j0hn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 9:57pm
i'm paying US$21.50 per session
stiga inspira plus, dhs h3 provincial 41° | bty dignics 64
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 10:34pm
Coach Sherri Xu.  $35 per 1 1/2 - 2 hour group session, $40 per hour for private training.  Worth every cent.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2010 at 11:08pm
A typical rate for club membership that allows unlimited club play is around $50-60 USD. Add another $60 a month to that and you get 20-30 minute lessons 3 times a week for the month. Our club has an ex-national player and a younger female coach. Both are easily over USATT 2400. This is pretty common in Korea. All kinds of players at or above that rating coaching or playing. The price for coaching at an average club is a veritable bargan and each club has netted off area for the multi-ball training, some clubs like ours having two netted off areas. I would probably pay many times thiis price in US plus the cost of time and travel if you are not in a TT strong area. My club is a 5 minute walk away.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
PF4_ View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PF4_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 1:05am
Anywhere between $A30-50 per hour for one on one private coaching is the norm in Melbourne, with a so-called accredited coach.  Group coaching is somewhere between $5 and $20 per session which may be longer than 1 hour up to 3 hours

Edited by PF4_ - 07/05/2010 at 1:10am
Butterfly Viscaria FL
Tenergy 05
DHS Cloud and Fog
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 2:21am
I dont charge, but I only train clubmembers.
I like to get the club better and better.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 5:23am

I charge £8.00 an hour or £12.00 for two, I could charge more as I'm the only coach in the area, but I feel that would deter some pupils who may not be able to afford it, and I'm in it for more than just the money. If I went to £20 an hour, I could make the same amount of money for the same amount of work, but then I would only be helping half as many players. Its part time, so why be greedy doing what you love?

Edited by APW46 - 07/05/2010 at 5:24am
The Older I get, The better I was.
Hasham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 6:08am
i get coached by the national team coach, he is employed by the school so i dont have to pay when playing in school Big smile. in the club where he coaches, i just pay the club $5 a month and thats it
Tinykin_2 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin_2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 6:15am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I charge £8.00 an hour or £12.00 for two, I could charge more as I'm the only coach in the area, but I feel that would deter some pupils who may not be able to afford it, and I'm in it for more than just the money. If I went to £20 an hour, I could make the same amount of money for the same amount of work, but then I would only be helping half as many players. Its part time, so why be greedy doing what you love?

Very reasonable. That's about half the going rate in England.

Can you move to the West Country?

Edited by Tinykin_2 - 07/05/2010 at 6:21am
Member of Single Ply Club. Shakehand, Kauri wood by American Hinoki, 1-ply 7mm. FH> Gambler Reflectoid. BH> Yasaka Mark V
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 6:26am
I don't pay for coaching, we just pay membership fee for the club and can join a training group with a coach for free. private coaching is not very popular over here. although I think I would improve heaps if I had my own coach who could spar with me.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 6:34am
Originally posted by Tinykin_2 Tinykin_2 wrote:

Can you move to the West Country?

I wish, I love it thereLOL and I liker cider....
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 7:08am
in our club you have to pay 20USD for mothly membership. It means unlimited playing on thursdays and tuesdays. Coached trainings costs 14-20 USD/hour.
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 8:01am
Normal rate in Canada is $30-$40 per hour for private training.  There are some very good coach from China only charge $25 per hour, but they don't speak English.  For high level training it can cost up to $60 per hour.
LeeMc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeMc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 9:02am
I commend you APW46.  Thumbs Up

Normal rate for one on one in this area is probably around £20 ($30) per hour, but coaches around here aren't exactly advertised; you have to go looking.  I've never had any proper coaching in my 10 years of playing (except a bit at the start) but I am going to 4 day summer school in August run by top England players - can't wait! Big smile
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 10:29am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

incredible!!  i wish you were here in the US, cuz, where i play, coaches charge 50 bucks an hour, which would be around 33 pounds or more than 4 times what you charge!!!
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 10:52am
Seems to be ur costs to play tabletennis are much bigger then mine, I have a fellow coach and we give eachother tips when playing vs eachother for fun.

But we play about 70 euros a year to play from Monday Evening - Saturday, (closed wednesday).
We can play as much as we want, we have trainings groups on Mondag, Tuesday, Thursday and competition for seniors on Friday and on Saturday for the youth.
Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
Re1Mu2R3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Re1Mu2R3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 11:07am
300-600php per 1 1/2 - 2 hour session in the Philippines.

Approx 48-50php = 1$.
An average student gets 500 - 1500php allowance a week.
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

Seems to be ur costs to play tabletennis are much bigger then mine, I have a fellow coach and we give eachother tips when playing vs eachother for fun.

But we play about 70 euros a year to play from Monday Evening - Saturday, (closed wednesday).
We can play as much as we want, we have trainings groups on Mondag, Tuesday, Thursday and competition for seniors on Friday and on Saturday for the youth.

you are soooo lucky!!!  70 euros a year??  where i play, it's 10 times that much!!!

i wish i lived in SAN DIEGO, cuz i hear they have a great club there and they pay 40 bucks a year, which would be half what you pay!!
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 1:11pm
$30/hr with a sponsored 2400 level player. But I find that higher-rated club members who know my strength and weaknesses better than an occasional coach are more beneficial.
BBC, SP, LP
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 5:12pm
In the Silicon Valley Bay Area (northern California), the rates for good private coaching varies between $35 to $65 an hour. E.g., A 2400+ rated player like Truong Tu would charge $35 + $3 for an hour while someone like Stefan Feth (National team coach) would charge $65 an hour. Those in between (like Hailong Shen, Jitendra Gidla, Anal Kashyap --> all 2500+ rated players) would charge $40 plus any drop-in fee for the club (club members don't have to pay the drop-in fee).

Group lessons are cheaper. But you get what you pay for.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 6:24pm
I live in NY, the club that i play in has few coaches and one of them offers lessons for around 40-50$ for an 1 hour.  Higher ranked coaches 2500+ that come once in a while teach for about 60$/hour (one of them is Atanda Musa). The cheaper coaches are mostly chinese (their rating ranges 2200-2400) and charge less for indvi/group lessons and if your a member of the club. We had a 2600~ player from france (Damien Provost) and i think he gave few lessons for 60$/hour.

i was thinking of getting few lessons but none of the coaches ive seen really attract me that much.
it seems like alot of them are focused on making money...

Edited by DreiZ - 07/05/2010 at 6:26pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
DZhuo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DZhuo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 7:47pm
My coach, coaches me and my friend for 3 hours and all we do is buy him lunch. Which never goes over $10. at most like $9. xD
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 8:00pm
In New Zealand people pay $40.00 plus table hire $7.50 which is around $62.00 USAD per hour ,maybe less for group but this is usually for juniors, I coach at a school for $2.00 a student lol or in my shop $12 or $15.00 for 30 mins,
  I was watching a coach yesterday with a adult student and I thought what a scam as they were doing pitterpats back and fro and the student was taking backhand on forehand side and playing awkward pushing (what I mean he wasnt learning anything) classic
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

i was thinking of getting few lessons but none of the coaches ive seen really attract me that much.

ain't that the truth!!!
silverhair View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverhair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by takaaki takaaki wrote:

ain't that the truth!!!

It's the economics of trying to make any kind of money in table tennis.  The only way to end up with a small fortune in table tennis is to start with a large fortune.  

Edited by silverhair - 07/05/2010 at 9:01pm
takaaki View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takaaki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2010 at 9:42pm
yeah, those "coaches" can make a lot of money here.

if you charge $50/hr. and you work 5 hrs./day and 5 days/week, that comes out to $60,000 a year!!  and, if you're smart, you won't report it to the IRS, which means you won't lose any money (around 30-35%, depending on where you live) to taxes.

so, it behooves them to seek out totally clueless people and teach them nothing, yet keep them coming as often as possible to fork over the money.

if you are 1500-level and you are taking, say, 2-3 lessons per week, you should see some real improvement within 4 months, cuz the basic strokes and footwork are relatively easy to learn, so long as the coach knows how to teach you. 

but the complicated thing about this game is tactics, which involves the serve to a large degree, and that takes much longer and requires learning a way of thinking.  and that's what generally trips people up, coaches and players alike.

Edited by takaaki - 07/05/2010 at 9:47pm
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 5:17am
I have to say, there is a difference between trying to make a full time living purely out of TT coaching, and coaching part time. I know plenty of full time coaches, in England there are jobs available at a multitude of TT academy's, it seems attractive, the prospect of being a full time coach, but in reality, it just becomes a job, the enjoyment, from the perspective of TT being fun is sucked out, and after a while they drift off to other things. I initially set up my coaching school to cover my (considerable) costs of playing on the national circuit, it does and I'm happy with that, my pupils are happy because they consider my price to be value for money, so I will only put my prices up if I have to through increased overheads. Having said that, I might just be cheap coz I'm crapLOL

There are alot of people being ripped off, the benefit of having a top international class coach if you are a novice and adult is negligible, It like employing a top world renowned chef, at great expence, to teach you how to cook a burger. Going to a training camp is different, but one on one stuff will empty your wallet, with only marginal results, unless you are playing a hell of a lot of TT to supplement it.

Edited by APW46 - 07/06/2010 at 5:27am
AG30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AG30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 3:29pm
I pay $10/month to the club, and play 4 days/week. In the club, advanced players teach me a lot. I am a beginner/intermediate, so, over 1500 players who know the basic skills are good enough for me. I always try to practice with them rather than play a match.
T.K.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 5:15pm
I think paying ~$30/hr is about the right amount, and affordable if you take 1 hour lesson per week.  However, unless you are also practicing with other good partner for at least 6hr/week, you will not see any improvement (and it's hard to find a partner who is good enough to practice what your coach teach you).  I try to take 2-3 hours lesson per week, but I can see that over along run, it will impact me financially, so I may continue to take lessons until I advances to 1 or 2 level higher, then I may need to ease off with the training Smile.  Note finding a good coach @ the affordable rate (~$30), and at the convenience is not easy, so even though it is expensive, but I consider myself lucky to have (and can afford) to have coaching right now.
keven702 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keven702 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 9:37pm

I live in NY, the club that i play in has few coaches and one of them offers lessons for around 40-50$ for an 1 hour.  Higher ranked coaches 2500+ that come once in a while teach for about 60$/hour (one of them is Atanda Musa). The cheaper coaches are mostly chinese (their rating ranges 2200-2400) and charge less for indvi/group lessons and if your a member of the club. We had a 2600~ player from france (Damien Provost) and i think he gave few lessons for 60$/hour.

I know I live in Ny also and the coaching price is ridiculous... I would love to take some lessons but its just too expensive.

How many lessons would you have to take to improve your game noticeably? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic