FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Baby wipes - safe for cleaning rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby wipes - safe for cleaning rubber?
    Posted: 07/06/2010 at 11:33am
I'm starting to use baby wipes to clean my rubbers since I ran out of rubber cleaner. Is this safe? Or am I shortening the life of the rubber?

I use no-alcohol no-perfume wipes.
dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2010 at 11:54am
I've been using baby wipes with no issues, the best rubber cleaner! :D
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 8:08am
baby wipes does work well, but i found after a while the topsheet will become a bit brittle, it kinda dries it up, thus loosing the compound they place in the production of the topsheet, it does clean it, but it does kills it a little at a time, ive use all the cleaners in the market, so far most of them have alcohol, or driers, if i may make a suggestion is to use a product called KENETIX, let me find the link, so far this si the cleaner that really meets what im looking for.not only it cleans, it rejuvinate the topsheet, everytime i use that it feels like i have a new rubber.

hope this helps

dual700 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dual700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 10:38am
Well, in that case... Tongue
Kenetix is the best, but I will use both spinmax and kenetix sparringly.
1 H3 became oxidized after using spinmax.
1 Palio HK1997 red became pink after kenetix. I cleaned it with kenetix, put it aside for 2 weeks in glass display at my club. The pink/white-ist coat was cleanable, but I got a little worried after that incident.

Edited by dual700 - 07/07/2010 at 10:41am
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 10:53am
I have been using the kenetix for over a year on many rubbers.....no problems yet.  It is a great product for sure.  Many of my club mates always ask me if I brought it with my equipment so they can get a quick spray job!   I have learned......keep it at home and give them a online sellers url to buy from.... Wink

Vladovich View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vladovich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 11:18am
I was using regular wet wipes couple of times, and my rubbers were temporary tackier then when using just a water.
Tibhar Defense Plus

FH: Joola Phenix

BH: Dr. Neubauer Bison 1.5mm

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be…unnatural."
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2010 at 12:08pm
why so complicated to buy so many supplies just to clean rubbers:) I personally just clean it with drinking water and a soft sponge that I bought from Walmart. Been using it for over 5 years and everything works well. Keep it simple while having fun is my goal
ianworz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by ocvillager ocvillager wrote:

why so complicated to buy so many supplies just to clean rubbers:) I personally just clean it with drinking water and a soft sponge that I bought from Walmart. Been using it for over 5 years and everything works well. Keep it simple while having fun is my goal

+1
Worz Beat Stick
WBS Takehaya
FH: H3 No. 21
BH:Spectol
addoydude View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addoydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2010 at 8:59pm
water doesn't remove the grease (that comes from your fingers touching the rubber) very well. 

i think i'll stay with wet wipes. quite economical. you can use the same sheet for cleaning the rubbers and also wiping down the handle which helps a bit in keeping the wood from accumulating dirt and gunk from sweat.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2010 at 1:29am
Playing 2 to 3 times a week:
water at the beginning (we are very careful anyway when rubbers are new). a month.
baby wipes in the middle. a month.
lamp oil at the end; with a dry baby wipe; 3 times per session. a month.

Note: a sponge with water should always be available for in between games or every 15 minutes of playing. Sweat from the forearm is kind of gross and can be desceptive.

overkill? whatever...
rl gear
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
my feedback
chompiraz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chompiraz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2010 at 5:50am
I like plain water and a sponge for wiping. People say that that doesn't remove sweat proteins or skin oils, but it will wipe most of it off. Also, the oils in your hand work, to a degree, much like tuning oil might. It is absorbed by the rubber replenishing the elasticity, albeit not much.
Breitling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breitling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 1:53pm
I am using 303 aerospace, available on amazon. Works grate and not just for blades.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 4:23pm
I use water-diluted eucalyptus oil. It cleans well and clears my sinuses.
THE UNSTOPPABLE EJ MADMAN!

For More Information, Contact: tommy@tommyzai.com
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 6:18pm
Make sure the wipes are alcohol-free.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I use water-diluted eucalyptus oil. It cleans well and clears my sinuses.

Unhappy
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

+1

+2

i do use spinmax once every 2 months or so.

The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

tabten5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabten5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

Originally posted by ianworz ianworz wrote:

+1

+2

i do use spinmax once every 2 months or so.

+3.

I've been using just water and a Yasaka sponge since I was a junior.
T05 2.1 | VISCARIA | T64 1.9
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 9:49pm
Run both rubbers across my sweaty jersey, wipe off on shorts, run hand across a couple times to dry, then toss it in case and forget about it.

I could wipe em with top dollar cleaner and use those protective sheets all day, but it never extended the life of any of my rubbers. Edge tape did that? How? It slowed down the edge deterioration of the modern rubbers I use.

Whenever I got my 2-3 months of daily use from Aurus, I would give my used sheet to a friend in my club and he would get another 6 months out of it. Cleaning rubbers with stuff sold in TT shops is way over-rated. Wipe with anything moist and rub off with hand and it is good to go.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:38pm

=======================

+100
The way to go, buddy.
skip3119
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2014 at 11:29pm
I think I will reuse the tt cleaner bottle when it's empty. Water + a small quantity of dish soap sounds good to me as long as I use a good sponge (the nittaku green and blue one is my favorite).
Truth is I have to focus on many more important things in my game; diet, fitness and time to play to name a few.

rl gear
( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•)
my feedback
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2014 at 12:01am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

=======================

+100
The way to go, buddy.

It also had the advantage that you know you are not adding something that can damage the rubber.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic