Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nittaku Latika Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2011 at 12:48am
I received my Latika today. It weighed 88.6 grams and after sealing it now weighs 89.4. I coated the edge with 7 layers of superglue (like a permanent, more durable edge tape for protection) but that didn't affect the weight.

The blade is quite similar to another I use: The XIOM Offensive S.

They're both the same amount of plies (5) with (I think!) the same woods: limba, spruce, ayous. Both are finished superbly.

However, the Latika is 5.8mm with a thicker core than the Offensive S, but much thinner spruce and limba plies. (Conversely, the Offensive S has a thinner core but notably thicker spruce and limba plies.) The Offensive S is 6.1mm, which is pushing my threshold for thickness.

The Offensive S is rated OFF and the Latika is rated OFF-. I am interested to see how the same woods with different constructions affect play (or if it's even noticeable, which I doubt it will be). One will probably be faster and that's it.

Neo H3 40D| Offensive S | Tenergy 80
Sponsored Links

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2011 at 1:05am
You can try comparing both blades by bouncing the ball, which is faster?
Is the handle big enough for your big hand? Wink
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2011 at 1:19am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

You can try comparing both blades by bouncing the ball, which is faster?
Is the handle big enough for your big hand? Wink

I have rubber on one but not the other so the bounce test is unfeasible right now.

The handle is great, especially for Nittaku.

My only wish is that the wings be sanded back at a more extreme angle, like XIOM blades. It allows for a more comfortable grip. (Essentially, it makes the handles longer since you can grip a little deeper.)

But that is a trivial complaint. Overall, the handle is great and the blade is beautiful.

I was looking for something similar to the Offensive S but just a little slower. This looks like it be be exactly that.

Now I just need to wait a bit so I can afford to put some rubbers on it. Cry

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2011 at 1:29am
It would be nice if somebody could figure out what the 2nd and 4th plies of Latika are. So far I've read they could be spruce (previous post by Anton) or limba. I don't have a Latika at hand, but it should be rather easy to tell whether the 1st and 2nd plies are the same wood: if so, the 2nd ply is limba. If not, it may be spruce.
Any ideas?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2011 at 1:47am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

I have rubber on one but not the other so the bounce test is unfeasible right now.

The handle is great, especially for Nittaku.

My only wish is that the wings be sanded back at a more extreme angle, like XIOM blades. It allows for a more comfortable grip. (Essentially, it makes the handles longer since you can grip a little deeper.)

But that is a trivial complaint. Overall, the handle is great and the blade is beautiful.

I was looking for something similar to the Offensive S but just a little slower. This looks like it be be exactly that.

Now I just need to wait a bit so I can afford to put some rubbers on it. Cry

Latika Head size is wider near the wing side, so you must buy a new rubber. Or if you have previous tenor cut rubber, it will fit on Latika.
However I managed to put Hking headsize cut to fit Latika.
I cut the bottom of the rubber which has marking by 4 mm, so the whole surface near the wing area is covered with rubber now Wink
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 3:21am
Played with my Latika for the first time tonight, Blit'z max on both sides.

It's an excellent blade. It does everything well, has a great handle, and has a very nice feel. Thanks for the review and the suggestion. Other than changing my BH rubber to 2.0mm, this will be my permanent shakehand setup.

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 3:24am
Wow, that's love at first sight! What were you using before?
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Anton Chigurh Anton Chigurh wrote:

Played with my Latika for the first time tonight, Blit'z max on both sides.

It's an excellent blade. It does everything well, has a great handle, and has a very nice feel. Thanks for the review and the suggestion. Other than changing my BH rubber to 2.0mm, this will be my permanent shakehand setup.

I'm glad that you like like it Smile
It's really enjoyable for me if people has the same opinion and really enjoy the blade that I recommend them Big smile
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2011 at 3:46am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Wow, that's love at first sight! What were you using before?

For the last 4 months I've been using a Rosewood NCT V but modified as a SuperCpen.

My attention can wander though, and for now I'm playing shakehand again. I played shakehand for 3 years before using the SuperCpen. When I played shakehand I EJed a lot but almost always stayed with 5-ply all wood.

One of my all time favorites was the Acoustic so it's probably not a huge surprise that I like the Latika so much. Smile

nick_wolf1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 2:44pm
Received my Latika today, 88 g. Out of the package build quality looks top notch. The handle feels great.
I have a question to Latika owners.
Does the blade need to be sealed before gluing to prevent splintering? I'm going to use Donic Formula First VOC free glue. I've used it on my TBS without sealing and never had any trouble.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 4:26pm
anton you should get the award of EJ KING!! Hug

we are EJ with blades rubbers glues shoes some may be with edge tapes. 

But you EJ even with your 'hold' ... .shake pen super c-pen and what not!! 

will have to give it to you!! Clap
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/17/2011 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by nick_wolf1 nick_wolf1 wrote:

Received my Latika today, 88 g. Out of the package build quality looks top notch. The handle feels great.
I have a question to Latika owners.
Does the blade need to be sealed before gluing to prevent splintering? I'm going to use Donic Formula First VOC free glue. I've used it on my TBS without sealing and never had any trouble.

Is the Donic first VOC free glue a water based glue?
Well if it's waterbased glue, you must seal it thinly, one coat is enough.
What kind of rubber do you want to use? let us know your impression of this blade.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/2011 at 5:42am
Yes, Donic Formula First is water based glue. Though I never had splintering problems whit my TBS which I've never sealed.
I'm going to use Mark V 1.8 mm. and Hurricane 3 Neo rubbers.
liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 8:47am
Received my Nittaku Latika today, 83gram.

Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05
saif View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 10:27am
Originally posted by liang1983 liang1983 wrote:

Where did you buy it from?
TBS FH & BH: T05fx
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha FH: Grip-S Europe BH: Rakza7 soft
Victas Koji Matsushita FH: Tenergy 80 BH: Feint long III
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5439549367/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 10:53am
Managed to play with my new Latika two sessions so far. FH is H3N (2.15 mm, 39 deg) which I peeled off my TBS and BH is brand new Yasaka Mark V 1.8 mm. The total weight is 178 g. incl. double layers of BTY edge tape.
My impressions so far are fairly positive. The combo came out well balanced, slightly head-heavy, the handle is great. The racket feels softer than TBS, less flexible, solid, slower and more controllable. No nasty vibrations but yet enough feedback. Great for hitting, flicking, blocking, pushing, OK for looping at least from close to mid table range. The main difference that caused me some problems was passive pushing of short, underspin balls. I give that to the softer feel and relatively less elasticity compared to the TBS which I'm used to. The sound of Latika has definitely lower pitch than TBS's. Latika crackles while TBS rings.
All in all so far: great blade, definite keeper. Didn't give up on my TBS but for now I'm going to use the Latika combo which I think will help me better developing the proper strokes, before I can use the TBS sharpness.

Edited by nick_wolf1 - 10/27/2011 at 10:56am
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 12:12pm
Nick, you may try H3N Neo Blue sponge 39 deg, it's a looping machine!!!
I've tried both Blue sponge and orange sponge, Latika suit blue sponge better.
While Acoustic Suits orange sponge better because orange sponge is harder.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the advice.
By "blue sponge" you mean "national", don't you? In this case, no thanks:)
Frankly I rather prefer driving than looping and practically never go any further than 2 meters away from the table. What I need is not better (and more expensive) looping rubber (or blade), but instead I need better timing, better strokes and minus 10 kgs of body weight at least:)
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 12:35pm
Yes I mean H3N is H3 National.
You use H3N too right? Do you mean it's national version or Neo commercial version?

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 3:09pm
Yes, I use H3N Commercial on FH and I love it. First tried H3N on TBS in January 2010, in December I replaced it with a new one and still play with it but now on Latika, as mentioned before. My first H3N however is pretty playable and is now glued on an old Gold Cup blade which I play with sometimes in the office basement. It's pretty nasty down there (dust, moisture, concrete floor, plumbing, etc.) and I don't want to ruin my primary equipment. The Gold Cup + H3N made pretty good combo, quite heavy though. With Mars 2 (2 mm, 36 deg) on BH it weights something around 200-202 grams. Feels like a hammer :)
Meanwhile, I glued brand new H3N Prov on my TBS but haven't tried it yet.
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/2011 at 10:25pm
National Version is the best, and the quality between batch is not as vary as Provincial version.
You can get it at ttnpp.com at 55 USD, it's the best rubber for my Forehand, now I play untuned and find it much better than tuned because of the changing characteristic of tuned rubber.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

liang1983 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liang1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2011 at 6:00am
Originally posted by saif saif wrote:

Originally posted by liang1983 liang1983 wrote:

Where did you buy it from?
Butterfly Photino
Tenergy 05
Tenergy 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_wolf1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 4:47am
To Debraj: the system says your PM box is full so I couldn't answer the question you PM-ed me. I'll post the answer here, hope nobody minds.
Q: Just wondering ... if you switched back to TBS or still playing Latika. 

How does the speed of Latika compare with TBS? :) 

i undertsand flex is less ... so is it closer to TB ALC?

A: Havent't touched TBS since Latika arrived :)
Compared to TBS Latika is slower, feels softer and more controllable.
Haven't tried TB ALC yet, so I can't comment about it.
H3N 39, 2.15 - Nittaku Latika FL - Mark V 1.8
H3N 39, 2.15 Prov - TBS FL - Roundell 2.1
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 8:35am

To Debraj: the system says your PM box is full so I couldn't answer the question you PM-ed me. I'll post the answer here, hope nobody minds.

I did not play it side by side with my TB ALC, but my feeling the the same, it's slower and softer than TB ALC.  It is hard to compare it to either the TBS or TB ALC though.  For a fair comparation I think it plays more like the P. Korbel, but faster and a bit less feeling (Note: my P. Korbel is one of the faster one, weight in at 93 or 97 grms - Can't remember for sure, and my Latika is only 80 something grams).  If you play attack more than control, then you may like this one better than the P. Korbel.
scdit46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scdit46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 8:59am
Hello,
Hexer HD is a hard rubber? more harder than tenergy 05?
I am thinking in chage from T05 to Hexer HD on FH for a Nittaku Acoustic.
Is a good change?

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 9:21am
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I did not play it side by side with my TB ALC, but my feeling the the same, it's slower and softer than TB ALC.  It is hard to compare it to either the TBS or TB ALC though.  For a fair comparation I think it plays more like the P. Korbel, but faster and a bit less feeling (Note: my P. Korbel is one of the faster one, weight in at 93 or 97 grms - Can't remember for sure, and my Latika is only 80 something grams).  If you play attack more than control, then you may like this one better than the P. Korbel.

Well my Latika FL is 93 Gr while TBS ST is 89 Gr, Korbel ST 94 Gr, Acoustic L-sized FL 94 Gr.
My Latika is the fastest among all of them.
Korbel ST is the hardest feel followed by Latika then TBS and Acoustic.
Latika and Korbel has wider choice of rubber from medium to Hard rubber.
While Acoustic and TBS only suit hard rubber.
I'm a hard rubber fan so only hard rubber suit TBS or Acoustic.

Baracuda Max
182 Gr

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 9:24am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Hello,
Is a good change?

Hexer HD is hard, the topsheet is hard, but the sponge isn't that hard.
I've tried Hexer HD on Hurricane King 3 and don't like it.
Why don't you try T25? I heard it's harder than T05.
Well I wish there's T05 hard just like bryce Hard
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:11am
Originally posted by scdit46 scdit46 wrote:

Hello,
Is a good change?

...my experience is different from peter's. Disapprove i have stopped FH rubber EJ from the time i glued HD. 
In fact peter might be the second person, I know as of now, who didn't find Hexer HD suitable. Other 6-7 guys who used it, are still using it.

Yes it is hard, harder than Tenergy 05, but softer than H3 Neo. More like Neo 38/39 degree.

After T05 Hexer HD will need some adjustment due to higher grip, harder sponge, and higher speed. It wont be plug and play.

Plus new sheet of Hexer HD requires about 2-4 days to break in, and play to its fullest potential. 

Like Tenergy, Hexer HD also mellows down a bit after 3-4 weeks and loses 10% of its speed, still remaining faster than T05 or H3 Neo.

After T05, with Hexer HD you can expect better short game, better and sharper opening loops, better smashes, better drives, better put away power and better control in serves without sacrificing spin.

However softer a rubber is better it is more forgiving in counter looping , you have more timing tolerance with Tenergy 05, and also which Hexer HD pushes are pretty loaded, Tenergy may still have an edge in amount of spin in pushes. 

Overall the differences is not significant in terms of level of the game or quality of the game.... both are suited for high level play. Both are durable. But they need time and patience to swtich from each other. I find it difficult to play with Tenergy, now that i am used to Hexer HD.
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:14am

Hey thanks for your response. I cleared my inbox. 

Okay after individual feedbacks from you, peter and others, I figured its worth a try ...if i want to try a all wood blade. So i ordered one from paddlepalace.
vid1
Vid 2
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2011 at 10:20am
Originally posted by peter79 peter79 wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Well my Latika FL is 93 Gr while TBS ST is 89 Gr, Korbel ST 94 Gr, Acoustic L-sized FL 94 Gr.
My Latika is the fastest among all of them.
Korbel ST is the hardest feel followed by Latika then TBS and Acoustic.
Latika and Korbel has wider choice of rubber from medium to Hard rubber.
While Acoustic and TBS only suit hard rubber.
I'm a hard rubber fan so only hard rubber suit TBS or Acoustic.

okay these feedbacks confirm that the speed of Latika is comparable with that of TBS and depends on batch to batch variations. Which is fine with me.

Also as for the hardness, i expect TBS to feel harder on softer shots and to have more crisp contact; while latika is harder/stiffer than TBS on harder shots when you go beyond skin dip. 

I can live with that. 

i was only worried if it was much slower that TBS, because that would have been a major disappointment. looks like that's not the case. All other differences are of course nice to feel and talk about,... but after 2-3 weeks i don't even remember how the other one played.  LOL

thanks for your help. 
vid1
Vid 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic