Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yasaka Mark V HPS (soft)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yasaka Mark V HPS (soft)
    Posted: 08/02/2010 at 6:32pm
There is very little information about these rubbers available, although it's the renewed version of one of the most classic rubbers ever. I assume that they are overpriced, but since the prices have at least not changed upwards recently, I don't care and I have ordered one sheet of Mark V HPS and one of Mark V HPS soft a few hours ago, both in red and max thickness.

Although I will receive them tomorrow and test one of them (don't know which one yet, probably the 'normal' version) tomorrow, I'm still very curious about the opinions of those who have alredy played with it.

Thanks for your comments!

Sponsored Links

BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

There is very little information about these rubbers available, although it's the renewed version of one of the most classic rubbers ever. I assume that they are overpriced, but since the prices have at least not changed upwards recently, I don't care and I have ordered one sheet of Mark V HPS and one of Mark V HPS soft a few hours ago, both in red and max thickness.

Although I will receive them tomorrow and test one of them (don't know which one yet, probably the 'normal' version) tomorrow, I'm still very curious about the opinions of those who have alredy played with it.

Played through a sheet of Mark V HPS Soft on the backhand of a Mizutani blade. Tried out a sheet of regular HPS too.

The HPS Soft made for a decent backhand rubber. Not that fast compared to most of the other stuff out there, I'd say only a little faster than baracuda (which I had on FH). Spin was good however and when they said soft, they meant SOFT. Not BTY Solcion soft, but still, I am used to bryce FX (no tuning or anything) and it felt way soft compared to that.

Regular HPS was junk IMO. The best way I could describe it was: if you think of spin and speed each being a numerical value, it's like they took alot of the points out of the spin and put them into the speed. It was faster than regular Mark V but spin wasn't there, at least not in balance with the increased speed. I tried it out for a few days and threw in the towel with it.

I am 90+% sure that the HPS topsheets are not regular Mark V topsheets however. I checked very thoroughly in multiple light conditions and the reds and blacks never quite matched up. Also the HPS topsheet, oxidized in a strange pattern as time went on.
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2010 at 10:57pm
I'm interested to see what the "Max" thickness is. If it's actually 2.5mm I am very interested!

If the topsheets where new or different wouldn't they have to use the new ITTF badge?

Edited by Thaidog - 08/02/2010 at 11:00pm
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
BMonkey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 12:56am
Originally posted by Thaidog Thaidog wrote:

I'm interested to see what the "Max" thickness is. If it's actually 2.5mm I am very interested!

If the topsheets where new or different wouldn't they have to use the new ITTF badge?
They do use a different badge
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 12:57am
Oh I see! (well I looked for it on the ITTF site and could not find it so I just figured they used the old topsheets.)
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 3:26am
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Played through a sheet of Mark V HPS Soft on the backhand of a Mizutani blade. Tried out a sheet of regular HPS too.

The HPS Soft made for a decent backhand rubber. Not that fast compared to most of the other stuff out there, I'd say only a little faster than baracuda (which I had on FH). Spin was good however and when they said soft, they meant SOFT. Not BTY Solcion soft, but still, I am used to bryce FX (no tuning or anything) and it felt way soft compared to that.

Regular HPS was junk IMO. The best way I could describe it was: if you think of spin and speed each being a numerical value, it's like they took alot of the points out of the spin and put them into the speed. It was faster than regular Mark V but spin wasn't there, at least not in balance with the increased speed. I tried it out for a few days and threw in the towel with it.

I am 90+% sure that the HPS topsheets are not regular Mark V topsheets however. I checked very thoroughly in multiple light conditions and the reds and blacks never quite matched up. Also the HPS topsheet, oxidized in a strange pattern as time went on.

Just got the two rubbers a few minutes ago and will replace my (almost new) T05FX with the Mark V HPS soft (max). Also on a MJ blade. I'll go out to play with it today in the evening, so initial impressions will follow soon (my initial impression are however usually positive unless I really can't play with it...)
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 3:31am
If you can take some pics of the sheets or do your normal video review that would be awesome!Big smile
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 4:11am

If you can take some pics of the sheets or do your normal video review that would be awesome!Big smile

here some pics (not sure about a video review, we'll see):

the rubber is quite light. my blade is 3 gr lighter with the mark v hps soft than with the t05fx (41 gr cut with a bit leftover). the rubber is not as soft as i expected from a previous post, certainly harder than the t05fx, overall the hardness is in the range of the t64, with the mark v top sheet being harder and sponge softer. slower than any of the tenergy's. less dynamic. all impressions when just bouncing the ball.
don't have a regular mark v with me, so i can't compare the top sheet. it looks the same as the regular one in my memories. don't see any difference in the batch or so compared to the normal version.
probably an overpriced rubber. if the durability is fine and there is some significant advantage over the regular version, then it's perhaps worth the money. at least it looks really nice and i like to have a rubber with the mark v logo on my blade.
more to follow.

Edited by High_Arc - 08/03/2010 at 4:12am
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 1:39pm
That has to be the old topsheet.. it does not have the new ITTF logo on it.
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2010 at 4:33pm
so here come some of my first impression... i used the mark v hps soft on my backhand by the way.

first i have to say that although i intended to do a training with some exercises and so on, i only played matches today because nobody else was in the mood to do a serious training (if one does not consider match training as a serious training). so it's harder to get to know the rubber well.

during warm up i thought that the rubber counters really well, and blocks really well. the rubber feels solid, i.e. it is certainly not as soft as the t05fx i used before. sensitivity to incoming spin is much much smaller than e.g. t05. first loops were some kind of a disaster, because the rubber does not bite the ball as much as any of the tenergys. there is some catapult, but certainly not as extreme as for the tenergys. throw is medium high i would say. speed is high, but not extreme. after a few minutes my backhand loops were quite okay, but i felt far from confident.

okay, now how did it behave during the matches. inconspicuous. although this may not sound very impressing, i was deeply impressed. i guess the rubber is nothing special regarding spin, speed or control, but it is an extremely well balanced offensive rubber with a good feel to it. in real matches (unlike the one you see in my current videos, i will perhaps upload a 'real' one with the mark v hps soon, or at least an old one with the t05 again), my backhand style is kind of all out offensive on first attack and mainly blocking if i'm not the one who attacks first. i personally think that one of my strongest points is destroying pushes to my backhand with some sort of loop drive. the mark v hps didn't let me down.

i know that the rubber is very pricey and to be honest i think it's not worth that money. nevertheless i will certainly keep it on my backhand for a few more sessions and most likely it will be my backhand rubber for the coming season (just three more weeks to go, so time for experiments should be over).

i've read somewhere else about this rubber something like 'it will not make you a hero on its own but it will let you do anything you want to do'. i think that's true.

Edited by High_Arc - 08/03/2010 at 4:49pm
Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 1:04am
Can you  say that it resembles speed glued mark v at all?

Edited by Thaidog - 08/04/2010 at 1:06am
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 3:04am

Can you  say that it resembles speed glued mark v at all?

i certainly need another few training with the rubber to be sure about its characteristics.

however, due to the top sheet it certainly has some mark v feel to it. while it certainly doesn't play like a heavily glued up rubber, it plays notably faster, with more spin and kick than the regular mark v. although i have not noticed some 'speed glue sound', i would say it plays like a lightly glued mark v.

so far i think that the only really special thing about the rubber is that there is nothing bad. but of course i might be wrong...

more to follow.
speaquinox View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speaquinox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 5:44am
HPS soft was quite a dissappointment for me. Lacks the dynamics of most new gen rubbers. It's fastish but plays too flat.
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 9:31am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

HPS soft was quite a dissappointment for me. Lacks the dynamics of most new gen rubbers. It's fastish but plays too flat.

fully understand what you mean, but i only agree to some extent.

i was quite eager to have some more hits with the new rubber. so i took an extended lunch break and went to play a bit with a ball machine.

i still thought that the rubber feels solid, not really soft. when i press the rubber, the sponge is certainly harder than the one of the t05fx, while it feels softer than a t64. however, the rubber somehow feels a bit harder than the t64 for countering and blocking. it has not very much catapult at slower strokes. you can produce reasonable spin at pushes and first loops against bottom spin (which turned out to be a dream for me with the mark v hps soft), though certainly not as extreme as with a t05. it reminds me somewhat of the donic coppa platin, but has a higher throw (and doesn't wear down when you just look at it).

the rubber has some sort of a dead feel (reading little catapult) when you don't do very much, it doesn't react heavily towards incoming spin. i feel that this might make it an easy handling rubber towards all kind of incoming weirdness.

however, the rubber has some non linearity in between strokes which employ little power and those which employ more power. the rubber gets really lively when you hit a bit harder. very nice catapult (still not as extreme as t05 and t64), very nice arc.

i really enjoyed blocking and looping with this rubber against the machine today. my loops are getting more consistent i feel than they were with the tenergys (except perhaps t05fx), though maybe with a little less spin and speed. backhand counter loops were amazing. i rarely do it in a match simply because i'm not good at it, but it felt very solid today.

i have found a rubber i can live with on my backhand again. distinctively different feel than the tenergys (not such an extreme bite and such a huge dwell) but very very well balanced. certainly a very solid choice under the assumption that it lasts somewhere as long as the original mark v. there is some hope since they share they same wonderful top sheet.

edit: i personally think that i have a very strong first backhand loop in particular against bottom spin but also against flicks. i think my backhand is not particularly good when it comes to looping several times in a row close to the table, i almost always have to go one step back. for me, the smaller speed and catapult at less hard strokes helps me to get backhand rallies going i assume, while there is enough kick for my 'killing loops'.

Edited by High_Arc - 08/04/2010 at 9:43am
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 10:01am
Judging by pictures, this rubber (topsheet) looks like Nianmor. Unfortunately Nianmor topsheet oxidizes very fast, after 2-3 weeks. If you can, keep us update about this issue.

Best regards

Edited by AMonteiro - 08/04/2010 at 10:01am
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 10:11am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Judging by pictures, this rubber (topsheet) looks like Nianmor. Unfortunately Nianmor topsheet oxidizes very fast, after 2-3 weeks. If you can, keep us update about this issue.

Best regards

ok, i'll keep you updated about durability of the rubber and in particular the top sheet.

however, i think it is the same good old mark v top sheet which is known for it tremendous durability.
hbelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hbelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 11:02am
I is the Mark V top sheet mated to a new sponge which brings with it the same advantages and disadvantages.
Current setup:
Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon
FH: Nittaku Hammond Pro B 1.9
BH: Nittaku Hammond Pro B 1.9

Glue: Free Chack

High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by hbelton hbelton wrote:

I is the Mark V top sheet mated to a new sponge which brings with it the same advantages and disadvantages.

i must admit that i don't fully understand the question. if the question is whether the top sheet and the sponge harmonize well, then i would say yes. but again, the dynamics of the rubber are much less notable than for other new generation rubbers.
High_Arc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High_Arc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2010 at 12:44pm
Well, my initial positive impressions still remain, but there is simply nothing that amazes me about the rubber. And there is not enough bite for my liking. I will not keep it on my backhand.

I still think it is a very solid rubber for players of all level (except perhaps really high level).

The durability seems to be very very high. My rubber still looks like new. Not a single mark on it, although I used it heavily against a ball machine (twice), where (even) a T05 suffers seriously.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by High_Arc High_Arc wrote:

here some pics (not sure about a video review, we'll see):

the rubber is quite light. my blade is 3 gr lighter with the mark v hps soft than with the t05fx (41 gr cut with a bit leftover). the rubber is not as soft as i expected from a previous post, certainly harder than the t05fx, overall the hardness is in the range of the t64, with the mark v top sheet being harder and sponge softer. slower than any of the tenergy's. less dynamic. all impressions when just bouncing the ball.
don't have a regular mark v with me, so i can't compare the top sheet. it looks the same as the regular one in my memories. don't see any difference in the batch or so compared to the normal version.
probably an overpriced rubber. if the durability is fine and there is some significant advantage over the regular version, then it's perhaps worth the money. at least it looks really nice and i like to have a rubber with the mark v logo on my blade.
more to follow.

I just got the Mark V HPS Soft and will play with it soon.  I did want to share some first impressions.  First, this rubber has some serious packaging.  Getting to it is like looking for a prize in a cereal box Smile  You have the regular package as pictured by High_Arc above.  It's not shown in the picture but there is a package seal (foil sticker) that has HPS written on it.  After that, there's another white carton that wraps the rubber which also has the HPS foil sticker.  When you open it, the sponge has some kind of shop paper towel on it (to absorb tuning? not sure).  I finally got to the rubber and I have to agree that it's not really that soft.  It doesn't have the same liveliness that T05 FX has but that's just bouncing a ball on the recently glued racket.  I'll see how it plays this weekend.
Rich215 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/09/2011 at 6:05pm
Beaver.....I will be interested in your comments after you test it out for awhile. 

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/10/2011 at 3:39pm
Will do.  I forgot to mention that HPS Soft has a considerable reverse dome (topsheet bigger than sponge) out of the package.  But it flattens out nicely.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Beaver.....I will be interested in your comments after you test it out for awhile. 

Your wait is over.  There are actually several varying reviews about the Mark V HPS Soft (I haven't tried regular HPS) so I'll throw my two cents in.

On to the review.  I've played for three sessions with the rubber glued to a 5-ply OFF+ Hinoki blade.  Like I already wrote, the rubber is a little over-packaged in my opinion.  It has the color carton sleeve outside, white carton sleeve inside and some kind of shop towel on the sponge.  It also had a reverse dome (topsheet bigger than sponge) at first but it flattened out nicely when glued. 

Also, this is not a Tensor.  It's basically a faster version of regular Mark V.  I think I've read some complaints that the regular HPS increased speed at the expense of spin.  Although I haven't tried regular HPS, I can see this.  I think what Yasaka was trying to do was give the sponge more power  but in doing so, tensed the topsheet.  It's not so bad with the HPS Soft because of the longer dwell time from the softer sponge but I can definitely see this for HPS.  The HPS Soft is fast enough but it's no Tenergy or not even Joola Express 1.  But it's not a bad rubber.  If Outlaw had a more durable, higher quality and more expensive cousin, it's HPS Soft. 

On the backhand, it was a little too fast for me.  I need more dwell time on my bh.  So I switched it to the forehand.  I've used Bryce Speed FX and I thought HPS Soft was somewhat slower, but not that much.  The feel is different though with BSFX absorbing the ball a little more.  Probably because of HPS Soft's tighter topsheet again.  I think it is a good substitute for people using something like Roundell or Sriver G3.  It's not a clone, just an alternative.

By the way, if the R&D people at Yasaka are reading this, what is needed to more effectively harness the power in the sponge of the HPS and HPS Soft is to make the topsheet softer.  That way, the ball sinks in more and the sponge takes over.

Edited by BeaverMD - 03/21/2011 at 5:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic